Thread: HOB3 begins
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2003, 12:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 55x in 43 posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogmax11
Hey TF, just a quick question: Did you use settings for this replay that were the same as in previous histories? And if not, what did you change? Minors on or off? Finances? How did Sandy Koufax do?

Yes, I know; my one question was like when my kids were little and at bedtime would plead for "just one more minute, Daddy, pleeeaaasssee."
Quite different from previous versions in that I used real ballparks and used the new recalculate for historical accuracy every season rather than manually doing the league settings myself. Finances were on with a max cash number of 100 million. Minors and all other options enabled and finally rookies were assigned to their original team.

As for Koufax, rather than retiring at age 30 as he did in real life he went on to have a stellar 18 year career that saw him go 291-169. Only Steve Barber with 309 had more victories than Koufax out of pitchers from his era. He is second alltime to Bob Gibson with 4093 career strikeouts.

Koufax of course started his career with the Dodgers and pitched a no-hitter in 1961. Following a 28-5 1962 campaign in which he won the first of his 4 Amos Rusie Awards, Koufax signed with the White Sox as a free agent. He would spend 7 years at Comiskey before ending his career with 5 years in Boston.

He was 5-1 in 9 postseason starts. He was 2-0 when the White Sox beat Houston in 6 games in the '67 series. The 1970 postseason was his greatest achievement. He made 4 starts, going 3-0 with a 0.50 era. He capped it off with a 2-hit shutout of St Louis in the 7th game to give the Red Sox their first World Championship since 1948.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote