Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

OOTP Baseball Survey - Help us and win a copy of OOTP 20!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Blogs > bjohn13

Rate this Entry

Annual Analysis

Submit "Annual Analysis" to Digg Submit "Annual Analysis" to del.icio.us Submit "Annual Analysis" to StumbleUpon Submit "Annual Analysis" to Google
Posted 07-25-2017 at 11:01 PM by bjohn13

I used to wonder how much of an effect the personnel had on an organization's overall effectiveness. A couple of cases in point with my team trainers over the last few years.

I believe I fired my initial trainer after two years because of all of the pitching injuries. My goal when I started this team was to assemble a large group of Major League ready arms so I could pick who would anchor my staff and who I needed to trade off for younger players based on their individual performances. I quickly found that I needed all of those arms just to staff a complete bullpen due to all of the injuries.

Bringing in someone who was LEGENDARY seemed to help my cause. While I still had considerably more injuries than I'm used to, which I attribute to the era I'm playing, they weren't the strings of injuries that completely derailed any chance of my team winning over large chunks of the season.

That trainer retired after the 1892 season, and I haven't been able to find an adequate replacement. The guy I have now seems to be pretty good with pitchers, but I've been plagued by the same problem each of the last two seasons. I've lost three quarters of my starting lineup during the last couple of months of the season.

I've had glimpses this year of what this team is capable of when everyone is healthy. I also instituted one of my tried-and-true policies that I had gone away from. I always try to make sure that I have a lot of good defensive backups on my roster and in my minors. I went and acquired a couple of minor league outfielders in the early part of the season for the sole reason of being able to provide adequate defense in case some of my starters went down. I essentially have a backup at every position that I would consider to be a "stellar" defensive player.

What I found is that when I had an injury or two, my team really didn't miss a beat. However, this crew of defensive stalwarts simply cannot maintain a winning record for long without being able to produce runs.

So I have a below .500 team. I'm confident that if my team was healthy, we'd be in the thick of a pennant race. However, I'm 1-14 against the first place Phillies right now, so I'd have to figure out how to beat them, too. Did I mention that I had a ninth inning lead in four of those games?

An interesting take on my lineup for the six days in July when 7 of my 9 starters were out along with their defensive ratings.

C Paul Cook 54
1B Belden Hill 68
2B Tommy Corcoran 83
3B Jim Donnelly 68
SS Bill Clymer 92
LF Billy Hamilton 58
CF Sam Nicholl 66
RF Harry Sherer 66

It goes without saying that this is, by far, the best defensive group this Brooklyn team has ever fielded. However, Cook, Corcoran, and Hamilton where the only three players in that lineup who were hitting over .200.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 595 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments