Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #5 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Released - Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #201 (permalink)
Developer OOTP

Thanked 15,201x in 2,552 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontler View Post
Nevermind advanced stats being essentially broken. A proper calculation of the run environment would require some pretty major changes in the backend. That's something that takes more than a fresh coat of paint.
What do you mean? Of course the league run environment is properly calculated for all the advanced metrics. I have no idea what you are talking about
Old 01-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #202 (permalink)
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindel View Post
plus long standing little things like WAR being implemented wrong, plus the sort players bug STILL hanging around from OTTP 2009?
WAR for position players is implemented properly. It is not the exact FanGraphs method, but it uses the same principles and produces proper results. Remember, there are several versions of WAR around, and the one in OOTP is just one of them.

WAR for pitchers is 100% the exact same formula as the FanGraphs WAR.

What is the "sort players bug"? Never heard of it

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 01-22-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #203 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 239x in 205 posts
Markus Quick Question

in ootp 12 un the trading screen when u trade draft picks it wasnt the way it should have been and it was a major issue in online leagues when dealing with trading of draft picks it was a major pain is this fixed for 13?

ie . show u all the picks u currently hold and what team they came from

also

in 12 the advanced draft pick signing seemed flawed to many players not signing even tho they got what they asked for or way more like max . it resulted in my league having every yr at least 36 pick per rd and most of the time the 3rd rd had 43-48 picks in it , it seems that more players should sign so i was wondering if that was fixed a bit?

also

when doing the draft when u goto the edit draft order screen if ur league has more than 38 picks in a round it only will show you 38 picks to edit thats it . is this fixed in 13?

also are u able to edit the supplemental draft picks when u edit the draft order in 13?

one more thing .

in 12 my league had 36 picks in rd 1 and 37 picks rd 2 and 43 picks in rd 3 this yr and when i got to the 4th rd and went to edit the order it only showed me picks 1-8 and 22-30 is this fixed for 13?

Thanks for all you do OOTP

Leagues
Leagues:

POTD: Vermont/Co-Commish: http://potd.ca/
MTBL: Daytona Bombers(helps out): http://mtblcentral.ca/mtblca/
RFTP : Braves/co-commish: League Closed
The Show: Miami Marlins: theshow.ootpleagues.com
soadeathdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #204 (permalink)
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by soadeathdealer View Post
in ootp 12 un the trading screen when u trade draft picks it wasnt the way it should have been and it was a major issue in online leagues when dealing with trading of draft picks it was a major pain is this fixed for 13?
Doing it any different is technically not possible, unfortunately. Otherwise this would have been changed years ago.

Quote:
in 12 my league had 36 picks in rd 1 and 37 picks rd 2 and 43 picks in rd 3 this yr and when i got to the 4th rd and went to edit the order it only showed me picks 1-8 and 22-30 is this fixed for 13?
No idea how you did that!?

Supplemental round will not be editable.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 01-22-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #205 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Doing it any different is technically not possible, unfortunately. Otherwise this would have been changed years ago.

thats a bit sad cuz its hard to know what pick ur trading i think eventually ull get it in there i hope anyways .

Quote:

Quote:
No idea how you did that!?

i think it has to do with the number of picks i had in each of the first 3 rds and ootp only leting u edit up to the first 38 picks but im not 100% on that .
i do think if u can't change the way the picks are shown in the trade screen then the number of editable picks in the edit draft order screen needs to be the full amount of picks and not just 38 seems that would be easier to code then over hauling the way picks are shown in the trade screen .and this has happened like every draft the league has had the way the 4th rd was not sure if the exact picks or not

what about the advance draft pick signing ? is it better than ootp 12's

"in 12 the advanced draft pick signing seemed flawed to many players not signing even tho they got what they asked for or way more like max . it resulted in my league having every yr at least 36 pick per rd and most of the time the 3rd rd had 43-48 picks in it , it seems that more players should sign so i was wondering if that was fixed a bit?"

and i thank you for answering just about all my questions I know you really busy and all

Leagues
Leagues:

Last edited by soadeathdealer; 01-22-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #206 (permalink)
Developer OOTP

Quote:
i think it has to do with the number of picks i had in each of the first 3 rds and ootp only leting u edit up to the first 38 picks but im not 100% on that .
i do think if u can't change the way the picks are shown in the trade screen then the number of editable picks in the edit draft order screen needs to be the full amount of picks and not just 38 seems that would be easier to code then over hauling the way picks are shown in the trade screen .and this has happened like every draft the league has had the way the 4th rd was not sure if the exact picks or not
The game does allow you to edit all picks of the round, there is no limit of 38. Are you sure you had a different number of picks? Anyway, since this is off-topic, let's have this discussion via PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #207 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Quote:
The game does allow you to edit all picks of the round, there is no limit of 38. Are you sure you had a different number of picks? Anyway, since this is off-topic, let's have this discussion via PM.
ok pming now

Leagues
Leagues:

Old 01-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #208 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,143x in 628 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich12545 View Post
Well, you never know. For a couple of years I pushed for a save during pbp. Markus answered one of my posts and said it was too difficult to code. Then the following year.....
I appreciate the words of encouragement. I'm afraid we've done about all we can do with the PbP as it is. Now it's up to Markus to expand its capabilities. Maybe it'll happen in time. If the game were limited in scope like DMB, then it'd be easier to upgrade the PbP and other parts of the game. But OOTP does so much more. So it takes longer for Markus to upgrade all the areas. I understand. And I'm more patient than I used to be (believe it or not).
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
cody8200 (01-23-2012), juanito89 (01-24-2012), RchW (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #209 (permalink)
Major Leagues

Thanked 139x in 63 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggio509 View Post
What res do you use. I have astigmatism and when my prescription is a little off things get blurry real quick. On HD resolutions the text seems a lot smaller than on my old 1440 X 900 resolution monitor. It is great for graphics but it seems like the text gets smaller with higher resolution. Not sure if this is said right but I think it is more pixels but they are smaller or something. I have to sit a lot closer to the TV to play OOTP or FM than STW. It is just weird because the pictures seem bigger and clearer but the text seems smaller! Maybe it is because I was about 2 feet from the monitor on my desk and 6 to 10 ft from my TV.
Windowed
1920 x 1080
Old 01-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #210 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 26x in 21 posts
Markus, I would love feedback to post #159 to see if any of those issues were addressed In addition, I've identified two additional issues that I would love to know if they have been addressed:

• If an offensive player is injured or ejected in the middle of a half-inning, the designation of PH is given even if the player fields before he hits.
  • In the following sequence, the starting pitcher was given 3 ER when all 5 runs should have been earned: (1) single (2) HBP (3) walk (4) single, scoring two runs - runners now at 1st and 2nd (5) passed ball, advancing the runners to second and third (6) home run, scoring 3 runs in total (7) ground out (8) strike out (9) HBP (10) ground out
simcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #211 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 451x in 263 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
Man, i love playing FSX, but it seems to crash so much on Windows 7 So i dont play it as much anymore.
I won't hijack the thread, but if you want some pointers on getting FSX to run stable on Win7, PM and I will gladly share with you all the secrets to getting FSX to run fast and stable.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #212 (permalink)
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcrazy View Post
Markus, I would love feedback to post #159 to see if any of those issues were addressed In addition, I've identified two additional issues that I would love to know if they have been addressed:

• If an offensive player is injured or ejected in the middle of a half-inning, the designation of PH is given even if the player fields before he hits.
  • In the following sequence, the starting pitcher was given 3 ER when all 5 runs should have been earned: (1) single (2) HBP (3) walk (4) single, scoring two runs - runners now at 1st and 2nd (5) passed ball, advancing the runners to second and third (6) home run, scoring 3 runs in total (7) ground out (8) strike out (9) HBP (10) ground out
This thread is not for bug reports. If you identify things that you think are bugs and I have not answered before (unlike 90% of your list), then please PM me.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #213 (permalink)
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 25x in 15 posts
Quote:
What do you mean? Of course the league run environment is properly calculated for all the advanced metrics. I have no idea what you are talking about
It's possible we have different definitions of "run environment". I'm referring to the necessary calculations to properly determine wOBA, for starters. Both OOTP 11 and OOTP 12 use a wOBA formula that's very similar, if not identical, to the one posted on wikipedia. It's easy to check for this. Take one Niko Vasquez, here portrayed in an OOTP 12 league. The game lists his wOBA at .322, and when we run his numbers through the wOBA formula on wikipedia, we get .3224, which rounds to .322. Looks good, right?

The trouble is, the coefficients used in the wOBA formula on wikipedia are taken from The Book, which is tailored for the 1999-2002 real life major league baseball run environment. wOBA, as used in real life, has to be properly calculated against the current run environment. You can't just copy and paste the formula, you have to determine the run environment and tailor the coefficients to that properly.

(As an aside, I'm presently working on a program to pull all of the run events out of the OOTP game logs and properly calculate the run environment and wOBA coefficients for one of our online leagues. It's been quite the endeavor.)

wOBA coefficients are tailored to the league average OBP. If your league average wOBA and your league average OBP aren't identical, you're doing it wrong. Calculating the league average wOBA for the Current League in 2030, we find that in the AL it's about .320 and in the NL it's roughly .316 (allowing for some errors, as OOTP does not track bases reached on error and hit by pitch on a leaguewide level - another problem entirely). AL OBP is .312, NL OBP is .314. It's evident from above that the wOBA coefficients are static rather than generated, and it's evident from this information that it's not tailored to the league average OBP.

All of this is means one of two things. Either OOTP does not properly track the run environment or, if it does, it's not using that information in the relevant locations (like generating wOBA coefficients). And that's fine. I didn't really expect it to work, and if you want to say you calculate it different that's fine. However, it's not really wOBA either, and the number is meaningless - as is any other stat that you're using wOBA to calculate (possibly WAR?).

I will soon have the tools I need to calculate wOBA properly, and that'll do for our online leagues. It is disheartening to have to do such things myself, though.

Quote:
What is the "sort players bug"? Never heard of it
Set your league to use anything but 1-250 ratings. Go to the player search screen. Sort by contact in all batters. If you choose 1-10, for example, the very best '10' will be at the top, and they'll be sorted in order after that - thus removing the ambiguity of non 1-250 ratings in the first place.

The most egregrious thing here is that, in a talent-only league, you can still sort by actual ratings. It doesn't show the ratings, but it sorts properly. The best players are listed at the top.

This is a trivially easy bug to fix. When sorting by ratings or potential, sort the individual tiers (10s, 9s, etc) alphabetically instead of by ratings.

Last edited by Jontler; 01-22-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Jontler is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Tavarin (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #214 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 26x in 21 posts
Quote:
This thread is not for bug reports. If you identify things that you think are bugs and I have not answered before (unlike 90% of your list), then please PM me.
Actually, you have not responded definitively/accurately to 100% of post #159. I trimmed it from my original post, even though I would've like all the answers in one place, based on feedback.

You mentioned the injured player substitution issue as hard to fix, but that was a while ago and you did not say definitively if it will be addressed or not. You said the replacing a pitcher before he completes an at-bat issue was fixed, but it is not. A lot of the other issues you have never responded to.

I just want to see if those things were addressed or not in OOTP13. I have been told that these aren't necessarily bugs (I was told the same for the corrected DH issue) but features that were not currently part of the game, so I wanted to see if these features were part of OOTP13.

You did this for other posters, so not sure why I am the only one who needs to PM.

Last edited by simcrazy; 01-22-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #215 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 389x in 225 posts
Quote:
Set your league to use anything but 1-250 ratings. Go to the player search screen. Sort by contact in all batters. If you choose 1-10, for example, the very best '10' will be at the top, and they'll be sorted in order after that - thus removing the ambiguity of non 1-250 ratings in the first place.

The most egregrious thing here is that, in a talent-only league, you can still sort by actual ratings. It doesn't show the ratings, but it sorts properly. The best players are listed at the top.

This is a trivially easy bug to fix. When sorting by ratings or potential, sort the individual tiers (10s, 9s, etc) alphabetically instead of by ratings.
This is actually a known/logged issue, unfortunately it's not a trivial fix. Hopefully it can be fixed for 13
Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #216 (permalink)
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 25x in 15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu View Post
This is actually a known/logged issue, unfortunately it's not a trivial fix. Hopefully it can be fixed for 13
I'd be interested in knowing what technical problem is causing this to be so difficult to fix. I welcome a PM from anyone who is both in the know and comfortable talking about it.
Jontler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #217 (permalink)
All Star Starter

i pmed at his request so ur not the only one as mine was 1st me asking if the things were fixed but it turned into bugs and such so he asked me to pm him so we can get to the bottom of it and see if it was just related to my league or not and of course to make sure 13 didnt have the same thing . just pm him and he will be more than willing to look over those question with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcrazy View Post
Actually, you have not responded definitively/accurately to 100% of post #159. I trimmed it from my original post, even though I would've like all the answers in one place, based on feedback.

You mentioned the injured player substitution issue as hard to fix, but that was a while ago and you did not say definitively if it will be addressed or not. You said the replacing a pitcher before he completes an at-bat issue was fixed, but it is not. A lot of the other issues you have never responded to.

I just want to see if those things were addressed or not in OOTP13. I have been told that these aren't necessarily bugs (I was told the same for the corrected DH issue) but features that were not currently part of the game, so I wanted to see if these features were part of OOTP13.

You did this for other posters, so not sure why I am the only one who needs to PM.

Leagues
Leagues:

Last edited by soadeathdealer; 01-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #218 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 26x in 21 posts
Quote:
i pmed at his request so ur not the only one as mine was 1st me asking if the things were fixed but it turned into bugs and such so he asked me to pm him so we can get to the bottom of it and see if it was just related to my league or not and of course to make sure 13 didnt have the same thing . just pm him and he will be more than willing to look over those question with you
Fair enough, I was wrong in that respect. That being said, I don't understand the desire for privacy. I would think the discourse would helpful to and aided by many other forum users.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #219 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 389x in 225 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontler View Post
I'd be interested in knowing what technical problem is causing this to be so difficult to fix. I welcome a PM from anyone who is both in the know and comfortable talking about it.
It's not always a question of "difficulty" more often than not its a question of time. On the surface this does look like a trivial fix, but for whatever reason it's not a quick fix.

Quote:
Fair enough, I was wrong in that respect. That being said, I don't understand the desire for privacy. I would think the discourse would helpful to and aided by many other forum users.
It's not a question of privacy. Read the thread title. This thread is supposed to be about discussing the new screenshots and announced feature list. Instead it's turning into a bug report/feature request thread.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #220 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 283x in 122 posts
Any chance of H2H?

Simcentral.net

My MLB Uniforms
Spindel is offline   Reply With Quote
4 thanks for this post:
BlitzburghBucco (01-22-2012), Cryomaniac (01-22-2012), Qrusher14242 (01-22-2012), Tavarin (01-22-2012)