Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #6 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Offseason Special: 50% Off!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #181 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 3x in 3 posts
Don't quite understand why guys in the major leagues are rated half a star or one star. Why are they in the majors if they are rated so low. I thought even a fringe major leaguer is a 40 on the 20-80 scale.
itshim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #182 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,770x in 804 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim99 View Post
Don't quite understand why guys in the major leagues are rated half a star or one star. Why are they in the majors if they are rated so low. I thought even a fringe major leaguer is a 40 on the 20-80 scale.
Because it isn't the 20-80 scouting scale. Think of one-star as representing replacement level. There are lots of replacement-level players in real life MLB, and therefore lots in OOTP.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #183 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 3x in 3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
Because it isn't the 20-80 scouting scale. Think of one-star as representing replacement level. There are lots of replacement-level players in real life MLB, and therefore lots in OOTP.

Thanks for the response. So what you are saying is a half star rating is about 30 and a one star would be 40 on the 20-80. Just trying to get some clarity. Whats the actual definition of an replacement level player. Thanx.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #184 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 3x in 3 posts
When I create a new league using default pcm (modern day) they do not come anywhere close to the MLB roster set as far as players are rated. In the MLB set the avg. batter contact is rated about 5 but with the pcm's the avg. batter contact is rated about 4. That goes for many or attributes also. That is with scouting off, by the way. Not really sure what to make of that.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #185 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 516x in 154 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation Shutdown View Post
Another contract issue...John Lackey is listed as having a $480,000 salary for his team option year in 2015 with a $0 buyout, but that's only if he misses significant time due to injury. Not sure it should really be included as there's no way to code that for OOTP.
If my understanding is correct, that option is right. He's had missed significant time for elbow surgery in 2010-2014.
CubbyFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #186 (permalink)
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Brandon League

Not sure if this is an issue or not but Seattle Mariners RP Brandon League has one of the nastiest pitches in baseball, his splitter, but its not in the game.

On The Most Unhittable Pitch In Baseball - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com
Eclipsial is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
injury log (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #187 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,770x in 804 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim99 View Post
Thanks for the response. So what you are saying is a half star rating is about 30 and a one star would be 40 on the 20-80. Just trying to get some clarity. Whats the actual definition of an replacement level player. Thanx.
I'm not familiar enough with the real-life 20-80 scouting scale for overall ratings to give a correspondence. For component attributes, the scales don't line up exactly (a player who a scout gives '70 speed' in real life would have a higher Speed rating in OOTP than 70 on the 20-80 scale, for example). It's sort of close to being the same, but OOTP certainly makes greater use of the extreme ends of the scale than would real life scouts.

As for 'replacement level', that's defined in a variety of ways depending on what you read, but all of those definitions are trying to estimate the value of a 'replacement level' baseball player -- that is, a player you could get 'for free' (on the waiver wire, a callup from AAA, a minor league free agent). It's supposed to equate to the performance level you could get from a minimum-salary (non-prospect) player. So 'replacement level' is quite far below 'average'.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #188 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 516x in 154 posts
I'm also not tremendously familiar with scouting ratings at the ML level, all I've seen is ones in BA handbooks, etc. Keep in mind that a guy who is a #25-30 prospect in BA with a 40 rating, that is usually his better case scenario, i.e. they could see him developing into a 40 player and a backup/fringe starter in the majors, but it isn't for sure.

Guys with 1/2 star or 1 star in OOTP aren't as good as those projections, and they're usually only going to be fringe starters/relievers, fifth outfielders or backup players unless they have one tremendous asset such as outstanding defense or great contact, but nothing else.
CubbyFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #189 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 23x in 16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveband View Post
For the next roster patch, which I believe Markus said will be the 19th, I want to make sure we address some of the issues brought up here as well as some others.
I know these things change constantly but are we still in the ballpark to see your changes on the 19th? I've been holding off starting my game to wait for all the hard work you guys are putting in so I am just checking. Thanks.
renojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #190 (permalink)
Major Leagues

Thanked 85x in 70 posts
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but Jimmy Rollins' 4th year vesting option should be for $11 Million, not $480,000.
Pacoheadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #191 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 229x in 170 posts
Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Jamey Moyer throws to fast...

Jamie Moyer didn’t crack 80 miles per hour with any of his pitches last night | HardballTalk
1 Timothy 5:23
MorseMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #192 (permalink)
Major Leagues

Thanked 29x in 19 posts
not sure if this is a crazy fluke. I just had Matt Cain, pitcher, hit 3 out in one game!?!?!

he hasnt hit that many in his 7 year career.

his power looks way off.

Last edited by rudoggy; 04-18-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: fixed spelling...dimwit
rudoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #193 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 15x in 8 posts
Do you use Major Leaue Equivalent stats for minor leaguers or would that be a bad way to edit players in the minors? I like to tweak some obscure prospects that I like on my team to make them as realistic as possible, but I don't want to use an MLE calculator if that's going to mess things up in my minors.

Thanks!
ambill10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #194 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 8x in 5 posts
Quick question...when are these rosters set for, as far as player movement? Is it the fake opening day, where some lame AL teams played in some other country? Or is it the REAL opening day, Thursday, when the Reds' Johnny Cueto threw his first pitch?

Just wondering, because it seems like it some late trades/moves are included, but others are not. Are we still on track for a roster patch soon?
KySteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #195 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 19x in 7 posts
Quote:
Are we still on track for a roster patch soon?
Well they said Friday or Saturday for an update last week so maybe they meant this Friday or Saturday. Markus said we should look out for a roster update this week so any day now.
Ghetto Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #196 (permalink)
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
A few things I noticed...

I'm new to the forum, but I wanted to contribute what I can to the cause, so here goes.

Overall, I think the people who put the MLB roster set did a great job out of the gate, but I noticed the below potential issues. My apologies if any of these have been previously noted in the thread or have already been addressed for the next update.

1) Kenley Jansen (LAD) has a high defensive rating at catcher. It appears that he was originally a catcher in the minor leagues before being converted to a pitcher, but a position rating of 16/20 seems to be a bit high for a position he hasn't played since A ball.

2) Brett Myers (HOU) has a stamina rating of 3/20. I understand that he's being used as a reliever now, but he was a starter who was good for one or two CGs a year for much of his career, including his first two seasons with the Astros.

3) A few MLB veterans seem to be missing some MLB career stats. I noticed David Hernandez (ARI) and John Mayberry Jr. (PHI) for example.

4) Mike Rivera (FA) appears to be included twice.
bmm8374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #197 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 83x in 53 posts
Game is ggrrrreat. 1 last patch and i am off and running.

Last edited by Tycobbler; 04-20-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Tycobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #198 (permalink)
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Red Sox farm system

A few suggestions for tweaking players in the Red Sox farm system in this roster set. The fact that I'm going this deep into the set shows what a great job the roster makers have done--but as a huge fan of minor league baseball, I'm always looking for ways to improve the set...

Ynoel Aguero: Current ratings are too high. He's playing in Rookie ball, but the AI places him in A ball.

Randor Bierd:
Was released by the Boston organization in 2010. A free agent now, I believe.

Sean Coyle:
Potential ratings are too low. He ranks #11 in the Boston system according to Soxprospects.com and #14 according to Baseball America, yet this roster set ranks him outside the top 20. In particular, his home run power potential looks too low. He hit 14 homers in 384 at bats last season and projects to have above-average power at the MLB level, despite his small stature. I boosted his potential home run power to 124 in the editor.

Ryan Dent: Potential ratings are too high. Although he was a first-round pick in '07, his stock has fallen considerably. This roster set has him as Boston's #17 prospect, yet he's not among the top 60 according to either SP or BA. Current ratings look right, since the AI correctly places him in AA.

Jose Iglesias: Potential ratings are too low. Ranks #5 on SP and #12 on BA, yet outside the top 20 in the game. I realize that the AI probably values defense less than SP or BA, which could explain the discrepancy. Then again, SP projects Iglesias as a #2 hitter at the MLB level in his prime, so I think a boost in potential ratings is in order.

Brandon Jacobs:
Current ratings are a little too high. He's playing in A ball, but the AI places him in AA.

Ryan Lavarnway:
I don't generally get hung up on personality ratings, but the dude went to Yale and is thought to be off the charts in terms of "baseball intelligence." I boosted him to 192 in the game editor in intelligence. He's a bona fide smartypants.

Anthony Ranaudo:
Current ratings are too low. He'll play at Hi-A or AA this season, yet the AI puts him in Rookie ball.

David Renfroe: Current ratings are a little too high. He's playing in Low-A (though raking), but the AI places him in AA.

Blake Swihart:
Current ratings are too low. He's playing at Low-A this season, yet the AI puts him in Rookie ball.

Justin Thomas:
Current ratings are too low. He made the major league roster out of spring training, yet the AI places him in AA.

Tony Thomas: Potential ratings are too high. In this roster set he ranks as the #16 prospect in the Boston organization, yet he isn't among the top 60 Boston prospects according to either SP or BA. His current ratings look right.
The Living Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #199 (permalink)

Thanked 255x in 151 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Living Bubba View Post
A few suggestions for tweaking players in the Red Sox farm system in this roster set. The fact that I'm going this deep into the set shows what a great job the roster makers have done--but as a huge fan of minor league baseball, I'm always looking for ways to improve the set...

Ynoel Aguero: Current ratings are too high. He's playing in Rookie ball, but the AI places him in A ball.

Randor Bierd:
Was released by the Boston organization in 2010. A free agent now, I believe.

Sean Coyle:
Potential ratings are too low. He ranks #11 in the Boston system according to Soxprospects.com and #14 according to Baseball America, yet this roster set ranks him outside the top 20. In particular, his home run power potential looks too low. He hit 14 homers in 384 at bats last season and projects to have above-average power at the MLB level, despite his small stature. I boosted his potential home run power to 124 in the editor.

Ryan Dent: Potential ratings are too high. Although he was a first-round pick in '07, his stock has fallen considerably. This roster set has him as Boston's #17 prospect, yet he's not among the top 60 according to either SP or BA. Current ratings look right, since the AI correctly places him in AA.

Jose Iglesias: Potential ratings are too low. Ranks #5 on SP and #12 on BA, yet outside the top 20 in the game. I realize that the AI probably values defense less than SP or BA, which could explain the discrepancy. Then again, SP projects Iglesias as a #2 hitter at the MLB level in his prime, so I think a boost in potential ratings is in order.

Brandon Jacobs:
Current ratings are a little too high. He's playing in A ball, but the AI places him in AA.

Ryan Lavarnway:
I don't generally get hung up on personality ratings, but the dude went to Yale and is thought to be off the charts in terms of "baseball intelligence." I boosted him to 192 in the game editor in intelligence. He's a bona fide smartypants.

Anthony Ranaudo:
Current ratings are too low. He'll play at Hi-A or AA this season, yet the AI puts him in Rookie ball.

David Renfroe: Current ratings are a little too high. He's playing in Low-A (though raking), but the AI places him in AA.

Blake Swihart:
Current ratings are too low. He's playing at Low-A this season, yet the AI puts him in Rookie ball.

Justin Thomas:
Current ratings are too low. He made the major league roster out of spring training, yet the AI places him in AA.

Tony Thomas: Potential ratings are too high. In this roster set he ranks as the #16 prospect in the Boston organization, yet he isn't among the top 60 Boston prospects according to either SP or BA. His current ratings look right.
I'll take a look into these
haveband is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
The Living Bubba (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #200 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 185x in 134 posts
You might want to also update Stats/Injured List while your at it to today.