Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #6 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Offseason Special: 50% Off!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 163
Thanks: 6
Thanked 31x in 17 posts
Salary Arbitration and players who are always injured!

It doesn't appear salary arbitration takes into account frequently injured players or those who are on the DL for long periods of time like 8 months to a year. I just got hit with a 3 million dollar increase over what I offered which was only a mere million under what the player demanded and that just ain't right as this player was injured 8 months came off the DL and then got injured again during the playoffs and is out for another 3-4 months. This isn't the first time he's been on the injury list either. You should see his injury record. He gets hurt every single year and is usually how long periods of time but when he's there he's a star player for sure but only having him 1 or 2 months out of the season isn't worth a 3 million dollar arbitration increase.
raginhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
All Star Reserve
 
Cinnamon J. Scudworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 812
Thanks: 103
Thanked 329x in 196 posts
Check what players on other teams have been receiving in arbitration and compare. I bet you'll discover that your player's award is reasonable.
__________________
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. Youíve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 337
Thanks: 7
Thanked 66x in 45 posts
decline arbitration or sign him and trade him
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 163
Thanks: 6
Thanked 31x in 17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
Check what players on other teams have been receiving in arbitration and compare. I bet you'll discover that your player's award is reasonable.
No because "they are playing" he's not. He played maybe 2 months out of the year. Hardly worth the arbitration figures he got. Plus he's been hurt a lot before. Did you even read what I wrote? I think not.

It's not a inside the game issue as much as it's an "inside the CODE" issue of not taking injuries into effect when the artificial intelligence arbitrates.
raginhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 337
Thanks: 7
Thanked 66x in 45 posts
Because thats not always the way real life works either. You pay for talent first and maybe get a discount for injury later.

See Erik Bedard. Made the least starts when he made the most money in his career, did the Mariners get a discount in 2009 after he only made 15 starts in 2008? Nope
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
All Star Reserve
 
Cinnamon J. Scudworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 812
Thanks: 103
Thanked 329x in 196 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raginhood View Post
No because "they are playing" he's not. He played maybe 2 months out of the year. Hardly worth the arbitration figures he got. Plus he's been hurt a lot before. Did you even read what I wrote? I think not.

It's not a inside the game issue as much as it's an "inside the CODE" issue of not taking injuries into effect when the artificial intelligence arbitrates.
You said he's a "star player for sure" when he's playing. Assuming you are using modern finances, $3M in arbitration is not really star player money in my experience. Above average, yes. But it looks like there is a discount built in here for his lack of playing time (as expressed in, I assume, his lack of counting stats -- HRs, RBIs, etc). If you take a look around your league, you may be surprised at some of the arb. figures.

The other factor here is that the arbiter can only choose between your offer and the player's offer. It sounds from your post like you put an a offer of $1M under the arbitration estimate, and the player's offer was $3M above that. The arbiter can't choose a middle ground. So if your offer was more unfair to the player than the player's offer was unfair to you, then the player's offer might win, even if it's "too much." The lesson here is: don't lowball too much.
__________________
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. Youíve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 01-23-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
All Star Reserve
 
Cinnamon J. Scudworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 812
Thanks: 103
Thanked 329x in 196 posts
Real life data point as an example:

Ike Davis and the Mets recently agreed on a 1 year, $3,125,000 extension to avoid arbitration. This was the first year of Davis' arbitration eligibility. The Mets reportedly had offered $2.825 million, and Davis had filed for $3.7 million.

This is a player who has some star potential, but last year he batted only .227/.308/.462. He also missed some substantial time over the last two years to an ankle injury, and potentially suffered from Valley Fever.
__________________
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. Youíve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 01-23-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
Fyrestorm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,988
Thanks: 1,341
Thanked 1,803x in 816 posts
If he's always injured, what the heck are you paying him for, anyway? Let him walk, and use that money on someone who'll actually take the field for you. Even a .200 hitter is better than a guy who's on the DL 3/4 of the year.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 163
Thanks: 6
Thanked 31x in 17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
You said he's a "star player for sure" when he's playing. Assuming you are using modern finances, $3M in arbitration is not really star player money in my experience. Above average, yes. But it looks like there is a discount built in here for his lack of playing time (as expressed in, I assume, his lack of counting stats -- HRs, RBIs, etc). If you take a look around your league, you may be surprised at some of the arb. figures.

The other factor here is that the arbiter can only choose between your offer and the player's offer. It sounds from your post like you put an a offer of $1M under the arbitration estimate, and the player's offer was $3M above that. The arbiter can't choose a middle ground. So if your offer was more unfair to the player than the player's offer was unfair to you, then the player's offer might win, even if it's "too much." The lesson here is: don't lowball too much.
I said 3 million arbitration money OVER what was already offered. It went over 10 million after all was said and done. The rate was 8 million and some change, I offered 7 million because of his injuries and the arbitrator just gave him nearly 11 million above and beyond the 8 million and change offered by the computer code.
raginhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 163
Thanks: 6
Thanked 31x in 17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
If he's always injured, what the heck are you paying him for, anyway? Let him walk, and use that money on someone who'll actually take the field for you. Even a .200 hitter is better than a guy who's on the DL 3/4 of the year.
This isn't about why's and what'for's this is about the GAME CODE and IS IT WORKING PROPERLY. Does it take into account how often a player is injured an on the DL list when it ARBITRATES. I certainly don't need a lesson in how to manage a team I always come in first in my division and into the playoffs. Please READ the Opening statement and don't adlib you're great managerial stratagies lol I don't need them.
raginhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
All Star Reserve
 
Cinnamon J. Scudworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 812
Thanks: 103
Thanked 329x in 196 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raginhood View Post
I said 3 million arbitration money OVER what was already offered. It went over 10 million after all was said and done. The rate was 8 million and some change, I offered 7 million because of his injuries and the arbitrator just gave him nearly 11 million above and beyond the 8 million and change offered by the computer code.
Ah, okay. Thanks. I misread that part. What was his salary the prior year? Like I said, if you lowball too much, the arbiter will choose the player's offer. There is no middle ground.
__________________
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. Youíve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
Fyrestorm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,988
Thanks: 1,341
Thanked 1,803x in 816 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raginhood View Post
This isn't about why's and what'for's this is about the GAME CODE and IS IT WORKING PROPERLY. Does it take into account how often a player is injured an on the DL list when it ARBITRATES. I certainly don't need a lesson in how to manage a team I always come in first in my division and into the playoffs. Please READ the Opening statement and don't adlib you're great managerial stratagies lol I don't need them.
I don't know why I still bother replying to raginhood's threads. Sorry for offering my input. I might have tried to help further if you hadn't somehow taken my post as a personal attack.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
edm (01-24-2013), nebradska (01-23-2013)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2013 Out of the Park Developments