Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #6 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 World Series Special: 50% Off!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 31x in 17 posts
Who do you save to pitch.....

In a Wildcard playoff game? Your ace? 2nd best? what? Didn't Baltimore this last season use some offbeat never seen before rookie or sumthin?
raginhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,509x in 752 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raginhood View Post
In a Wildcard playoff game? Your ace? 2nd best? what? Didn't Baltimore this last season use some offbeat never seen before rookie or sumthin?
I thought Baltimore used Joe Saunders in that game. I would have to go with the best pitcher I have rested. It's win of go home.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 42x in 39 posts
I agree with Dave. I'd run my best avaible pitcher out there. If I'm going down....it's gonna be in a ball of fire and glory lol.

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem. "

Giovani della Casa

"I cannot divine how it happens that the man who knows the least is the most argumentative”

Last edited by Scottiedog; 01-29-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Scottiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 137x in 105 posts
It's usually not much of a choice.... to get to that point the team has usually used its best to try to keep up in the pennant/wc race... so go with who's rested. I suppose if the wc slots are already set in the last game of the season you could tank that game and save the better starter (if that's how the rotation goes down) for the WC game. If you have a few September callups, you could use all them in a meaningless 162 and have two starters available for the WC game (and two rested guys to choose from in Game 1 if you win).
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 31x in 17 posts
Reason I asked is if you use your "best" then when you start the 5 game set with the next team you're really at a disadvantage because they are going to have their best rested and you're probably going to have to start your 2nd vs their 1st and be behind the entire series. Basically what happened to Baltimore then eh? If they used their best vs Texas then they started the series with who was it Yankees already behind?

This is why I think the wildcard playoff should be a 3 game set. It basically gives the winning teams best pitcher time to rest and be ready for the 5 game set in the next series.

Thoughts? (I have a 3 game wildcard setup in my league btw).
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Thanked 2,268x in 1,314 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
If you don't start the best you have available, you might not ever get the chance to be at a disadvantage in the next round......

However, it's not much of a disadvantage, since when your ace starts he should theoretically have an edge in his game....

Also, even if it's proven mathematically to be a disadvantage for the poor wild card teams to only play one game, then great.....it SHOULD be a disadvantage to be a wild card team.....

Wild Cards suck, no getting around it......back when I was a young whipper snapper we used to have REAL pennant races....win the regular season or go home...

Difference between division races now and 20 years ago is the difference between watching a tightrope walker work with a net and without.....might be the same show, but the tension is a LOT higher without the net of a wild card spot waiting for the second place team......just sucks....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
5 thanks for this post:
damientheomen3 (01-30-2013), Orcin (01-30-2013), Scottiedog (01-30-2013), Sweed (01-30-2013), termcl (02-02-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 31x in 17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
If you don't start the best you have available, you might not ever get the chance to be at a disadvantage in the next round......

However, it's not much of a disadvantage, since when your ace starts he should theoretically have an edge in his game....

Also, even if it's proven mathematically to be a disadvantage for the poor wild card teams to only play one game, then great.....it SHOULD be a disadvantage to be a wild card team.....

Wild Cards suck, no getting around it......back when I was a young whipper snapper we used to have REAL pennant races....win the regular season or go home...

Difference between division races now and 20 years ago is the difference between watching a tightrope walker work with a net and without.....might be the same show, but the tension is a LOT higher without the net of a wild card spot waiting for the second place team......just sucks....
You know I kind of agree with you about Wild card teams as in my last 10 years of sim playing the lowest wild card team has won the world series 7 out of 10 times. THE LOWEST!! and I'm usually the best team in the league winning 90-100 games or more and I get stomped by them.

I had a pitching and batting staff only an All-Star team could field and I still got stomped by the LOWEST wildcard stupid teams. lol I had Verlander, Strasburg, Dave Robertson, Matt Moore, a batting lineup with over 200 home runs throughout the season (needless to say 1st place), nearly everyone hitting over .300 and still lost.

Now the reason I see they have wild card teams is of course REVENUE for the owners and the cities that have them. I'm sure you can see that also. How much money do wild card teams make extra by still being alive for the playoffs? How many more fans keep coming to the games of a team that is 14 games out of 1st place but only 2 games out or in 1st or 2nd place in the wildcard race? Sadly baseball isn't a game anymore it's a BUSINESS and it suks like you said.

It didn't even really make Oaklands run to division title all that important or exciting because Texas was going to get in the playoffs no matter. They just screwed themselves out of more revenue is all.