Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #6 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Offseason Special: 50% Off!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 03:38 PM   #341 (permalink)
Major Leagues

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
You're the man, GMO. You're the man.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:10 PM   #342 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 35x in 21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey
You're the man, GMO. You're the man.
I thought we had determined he was a robot... or was that LGO? I forget...
Old 12-14-2004, 12:02 AM   #343 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,043x in 1,689 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm8356
I thought we had determined he was a robot... or was that LGO? I forget...
"Not a robot, a cyborg - cybernetic organism. Human tissue over a metal endoskeleton." - Kyle Reese, "The Terminator."

"Things have taken a turn for the surreal."

"Bid them achieve me and then sell my bones."
Old 12-14-2004, 10:49 AM   #344 (permalink)
Major Leagues

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
My bad!

GMO, you're the cyborg - cybernetic organism-human tissue over a metal endoskeleton! You're the cyborg - cybernetic organism-human tissue over a metal endoskeleton!

Or as we say in Kentucky, "you must have a citified haircut."
Old 12-21-2004, 02:06 AM   #345 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Hi, this isn't actually a schedule request, but a question regarding schedules I was wondering if anyone knows what the maximum number of games you can have in a schedule and still use catobase with your league sucessfully is, for example, I was using a league that had a 209 game schedule, and then when i tried to use catobase to record everything at the end of the year, i kept recieving errors, the first error occurs when it says......creating leaderboards, positional leaderboards, catchers fielding...so in other words when it is creating the positional leaderboards for the catchers fielding stats i suppose...the error itself is error 2147217833: overflow has occured....and the 2nd error is just after closing that error message and it is error 55: file already open, that error repeats 7 times....And i was told that these errors were caused by there being too many games in the schedule (keeping in mind its a 209 game schedule ) so I was wondering if anyone knows what the most catobase can handle is, or whats the most people have done while using catobase if im not making sense feel free to mock me lol
thanx for the help
Old 12-21-2004, 04:13 AM   #346 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 120x in 57 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend85
Hi, this isn't actually a schedule request, but a question regarding schedules
Anyone so happy deserves some help.

Not sure what I can offer. Maybe you noticed the longest schedule here in this thread is 200 games. I would guess that Henry, who posted that schedule (I think just trying to remember off the top of my head), would have used CatoBase, but I don't know for sure.

If you don't mind my curiosity, from whom or where were you told that the schedule had too many games? I've never heard such a thing, but that does not mean too much. There very well could be a limit to what the program can handle. I don't know the CatoBase error meanings very well as (fingers crossed) it has been working just fine for me for a while. With so many games I'd think depending on your league totals you could run into the 255 limit where some stats flip over back to zero after 255. If you hadn't said anything about being told the schedule was too long, I might have guessed that could have been a problem. But again, I don't know if CatoBase would have a problem with that if you were hitting that 255 limit in OOTP itself.

You could also post a question just below in the main mod forums also (if you hadn't already - I didn't look before replying). Maybe more people would check there than in this thread. There's even equalnicity.com where you can ask for help with a support ticket if you haven't tried that. Since Cato hasn't been around here lately presumably off on real-life stuff as he periodically is, that may not get you any more info right away either.

Sorry I couldn't give you any real help, but your answer would be a good little tidbit to know, so I hope you find it.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:49 AM   #347 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
well actually i somewhat misquoted, one of the fine individuals (name i can not recall and i cant seem to find the thread either) on this board explained that the error im getting occurs when catobase tries to insert a value outside the allowed field, so he/she suggested that it may be due to the 209 game schedule, thinking perhaps catobase has a cap on the number of games a season can have. It was really kind of a guess, but a very good one at that i think. I dont think it could be anyone's stats (other than the games played) because the league is low offense, i dont have it opened right now but i believe my HR leader was just shy of 30 for the year, and the hits were perhaps low to mid 100, say maybe 150 at the very very most.and all the stats follow about the same, most are in fact way below what the real baseball statistics are, so yea, its an assumption that the error has something to do with the number of games in the schedule, not sure though,
Old 12-21-2004, 04:59 AM   #348 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 120x in 57 posts
Yeah, I always think of RBI, earned runs, big offense stuff that typically cause that 255 limit problem. It may not even cause a CatoBase problem anyway. I agree the schedule thing seems like a good guess, at least as good as any other. From when to when does your schedule run? Perhaps besides or along with too many games CatoBase does not like games earlier than March or later than November, or something like that.

Again, sorry to not be any real help, but anything even maybe related to schedules in the game piques my interest since I'm sort of in that business here.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:02 AM   #349 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
hmmm, thats a good idea too, my schedule starts the last week of march, and then the final game of the world series was played on december 1st, so thats a likely problem as well. lol
Old 12-21-2004, 10:37 AM   #350 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 35x in 21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend85
well actually i somewhat misquoted, one of the fine individuals (name i can not recall and i cant seem to find the thread either) on this board explained that the error im getting occurs when catobase tries to insert a value outside the allowed field, so he/she suggested that it may be due to the 209 game schedule, thinking perhaps catobase has a cap on the number of games a season can have. It was really kind of a guess, but a very good one at that i think.
... and the mystery guest reveals himself!

That was me, and yeah, it was just a guess but seems reasonable. It might not just be the raw number of games, either... if someone could manage over 1000 ABs, that could be a problem... also, Catobase imports each player's performance for each individual game, and an extra 40-something games could mean an extra 17,000 'batting game records' (58,320 (average 24 players in a game x 15 games a day (30 teams) x 162 games; 75,240 for 209 games) and maybe that is the thing that there's too many of...

Too bad jcato himself isn't around, since he'd know for sure, and we wouldn't have to thrash around in the dark like this.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:30 AM   #351 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
People who make schedules don't schedule games for 3-30 to 4-30 because that's when Spring Training games happen and this game doesn't allow Spring Training games yet! If you can I would like you guys to leave those days blank so those can be part of the offseason and add days to your schedules 22-04 beacuse that's today's date to 3-29 but leave them blank with no games scheduled. What I want you guys to do is make the schedule go the whole year but you can leave the days after the World Series ends intill opening day blank with no games schedule so we can sim the does in the offseason and have the full effect!
Old 12-29-2004, 04:08 PM   #352 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 84x in 69 posts
Offbeat Request

Thank you guys for your wonderful contributions to the OOTP community. Your schedules add an element of customization\realisim that we didn't have before.

I'm looking for an 19th century style-schedule for my fictional league.

I need:

A 56 game balanced schedule for my 1-league, 8 team set-up.

The schedule should run from late April/early May to the middle of October.

A team should have no more than four games a week, and there should never be any games on Sunday.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2004, 07:50 PM   #353 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 120x in 57 posts
8 team, 56 game schedule

1 league, 1 division, 8 teams
8 games per opponent (4H/4A)

This schedule is built from the 1876 NL schedule that LGO compiled. Some games have been added, subtracted, and moved from that basis file to make this file. This schedule is very different from the modern type with its very numerous offdays and many short series.

See the top of the file for more details.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ootp6schedule8team56_18.txt (3.2 KB, 155 views)
Old 12-30-2004, 10:18 PM   #354 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 84x in 69 posts
Thanks gmo. Great thinking (using the 1876 file).
Old 12-31-2004, 12:13 AM   #355 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,043x in 1,689 posts
Just wanted to clarify that the 1876 schedule mentioned is the as played schedule, since there was apparently no full schedule ever published anywhere. The same is true for 1877. From 1878 onwards, however, original schedules were published prior to the start of each MLB season.

I've been meaning to try and make approximated original schedules for 1876-77, using the as played schedules as a guide, but it's been on the backburner for awhile. I will get to it eventually...

"Things have taken a turn for the surreal."

"Bid them achieve me and then sell my bones."
Old 01-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #356 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 39x in 27 posts
Another 8 team request.

8 teams, 1 league, 1 division. 126 games, pref. with Wednesday always as an off day.

Couple of optional extras. Nothing major here but don't worry so much about the league not running into September - either way I'm sure it's pretty simple for me to delay the start of the season for a month and include September isn't it??!

Also. I just thought I might like a whole week off right in the middle of the season, just to be different. If anyone can/can't, does/doesn't add these then that's cool Thanks in advance

Muga's Sports Replay Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met Police football club blow a late three goal lead
As for the Met, coming away from Essex with a point has to rank as one their biggest disappointments since failing to catch Jack The Ripper in the late 1800's.

Last edited by Muppetus Galacticus; 01-03-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #357 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 324x in 209 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo
16 team, 112 game schedule

2 leagues, 1 division per league, 8 teams per division

all 112 games in the league (16 per opponent)
no interleague games

See the comments at the top of the file for more details.
GMO,

This schedule has worked like a charm for the Metros. It certainly adds more vartiety to the weeks schedule. However, it seems like teams are getting off the hook without meeting one of the clubs best pitchers sometimes. This is starting to bother me. Is it possible to create the schedule above with the three and four game series only, eliminating the two game series. Love the staggered off days and weekend series. Also can the schedule start at the beginning of June and end at the end of September or even the biggining of October would be fine. Please include Allstar Game. Thanks.

By the way, does anyone know the reason behind the two game series. Why it was used in past MLB schedules? I seem to recall the Dodgers playing two game series in the 70's and maybe even 80's.

Last edited by DreamTeams; 01-03-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:34 PM   #358 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 120x in 57 posts
An interesting request Muppetus... A relatively easy route sounds like having every team playing 3-game series that run Sunday-Tuesday, then Thursday-Saturday after the Wednesday offday. Dropping an entire offweek in the middle of the season, it would run from the beginning of April I think about a week into September. Or it can indeed be shifted to instead end in late September.

It would be different with the offdays always being the same for all teams and happening more frequently (every week as opposed to the current MLB standard of on average about 2 offdays per 3 weeks), and the baseball "week" would be shifted a day to start Sunday instead of Monday. But if that's what you want, that's what you can get. Sound satisfactory?
Old 01-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #359 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 120x in 57 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTeams
GMO,

This schedule has worked like a charm for the Metros. It certainly adds more vartiety to the weeks schedule. However, it seems like teams are getting off the hook without meeting one of the clubs best pitchers sometimes. This is starting to bother me. Is it possible to create the schedule above with the three and four game series only, eliminating the two game series. Love the staggered off days and weekend series. Also can the schedule start at the beginning of June and end at the end of September or even the biggining of October would be fine. Please include Allstar Game. Thanks.

By the way, does anyone know the reason behind the two game series. Why it was used in past MLB schedules? I seem to recall the Dodgers playing two game series in the 70's and maybe even 80's.
With 16 games per opponent, 8 games home and 8 away works out to perfect balance. So it seems having those 8 games divided into a pair of 4-game series would work out nicely. It does, except that you cannot fit two 4-game series within a week. If you go only with 4-gamers then you lose the meaning of the days of the week, plus though the offdays can be staggered some there is not much variety in them. I could go that route for you, and it would certainly make it less likely to have teams miss pitchers in the rotation.

A better idea though may be to not hold the 8H/8A breakdown for the 16 games against each opponent. I believe that if I split most of the 16 down 9H/7A and 7H/9A I could at least almost completely eliminate the 2-game series and still keep everything else nicely intact. Teams would still have the same total numbers of home & away games (56 & 56), they would just not be balanced perfectly team-by-team. Is it okay to go with attempting that option?

I had thought, and really still do, that the piling in of 2-game series can help balance out some schedule. But I can understand why you are wanting less of them. In this the numbers worked out where breaking the matchups into many more than typical 2- & 4-game series made everything even out. You can do different things when you have many weeks with a 2-game series and a 4-game series rather than a pair of 3-game series. In other cases a pair of 2-game series to start a week can take the spot a single 4-game series would otherwise hold.

So the short series are mainly useful these days for helping try to get closer to the ideal of playing teams equal numbers of times overall and equal numbers home and away. But short series mean at least more travel, and like you noted the quick in-then-out nature can perhaps leave fans wanting. But it is LGO's job to give a better explanation on the 2-game series
Old 01-03-2005, 02:57 PM   #360 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 39x in 27 posts
Sounds great gmo - the 3-game series' running either side of Wednesday was just what I was looking for, neglected to mention that fact earlier to clarify (sorry). I am pretty undecided with regards to September. Do you know if single leagues such as the PCL (if any others) ever used the 40 man roster in the final month? If not then I think I would like to keep September to a minimum - at the expense of the midseason break if need be. If the rosters have been expanded then maybe I'll just give that a go.

Is it simple enough for me to move the league forward a few weeks if I decide to include September? If so then the April-Early September format would be great.

Thanks a lot for all the time you and LGO and everybody else puts into these - Kings among men