Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #6 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Offseason Special: 50% Off!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 03:58 AM   #441 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 125x in 61 posts
22 team, 162 game schedules

2 leagues, 2 divisions per league,
6 teams per division in one league, 5 teams per division in the other

90-92 games within division (18-23 per opponent)
70-72 games within league outside division (12-14 per opponent)
no interleague games

One version of the file (6655) has the 12-team league as the first one in the configuration, while the other version (5566) has the 10-team league first in the configuration. These schedules are constructed from this schedule and this schedule.

See the tops of the files for more details.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ootp6schedule22team_226655un.txt (22.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: txt ootp6schedule22team_225566un.txt (22.2 KB, 116 views)
Old 01-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #442 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1x in 1 post
HOLY CRAP!

gmo, you are the greatest. So much more than what I was expecting. 24 rotating schedules? Excellent job. I knew you were the right person to go to. Thanks a lot.

Now I have an excuse to set my league up. Thanks again gmo!
Old 02-05-2005, 05:49 AM   #443 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Bit of an odd one.

I was wondering whether anyone would be kind enough to create a schedule as if the MLB added one team to the AL East. Thus it would be a 5-5-5, 5-6-5 breakdown, unbalanced schedule, 162 games.

Interleague would be nice if possible, but if it's easier to combine two non-interleague ones then that would be fantastic.

I've no idea how hard or easy this would be, but any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Doug
Old 02-05-2005, 08:27 AM   #444 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 30x in 17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougaiton
Bit of an odd one.

I was wondering whether anyone would be kind enough to create a schedule as if the MLB added one team to the AL East. Thus it would be a 5-5-5, 5-6-5 breakdown, unbalanced schedule, 162 games.

Interleague would be nice if possible, but if it's easier to combine two non-interleague ones then that would be fantastic.

I've no idea how hard or easy this would be, but any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Doug
Methinks that would be a very difficult sched to make.

First the odd number of teams means someone is off everyday, although there are a few odd numbered team scheds on the main page of this thread.

It may be possible but it'd probably a very unusual schedule.

GMO to the Rescue!!!!!
Old 02-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #445 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Well, if they add a team to the AL East, it would be

6-5-4

wouldn't it? Unless you mean the AL West.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:27 PM   #446 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 125x in 61 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Methinks that would be a very difficult sched to make.

First the odd number of teams means someone is off everyday, although there are a few odd numbered team scheds on the main page of this thread.

It may be possible but it'd probably a very unusual schedule.

GMO to the Rescue!!!!!
Oof. I think I may have to cry uncle on that one, at least with interleague. Vris raised a good point that can at least allow me to hold off for the moment, even though 5-5-5 is surely the format desired for the "AL".

There are 5-6-5 leagues already set up, so that can just be plucked right out to go without interleague. One of the 30-team 2-league 5-5-5 setups I think has just one team in each league playing interleague most of the time and thus may be adjustable to have that team being off instead. Even if I cannot just tweak that, I'd expect that making a self-contained 5-5-5 league from scratch would be manageable.

So Doug, that is what you'd be looking at:
*No interleague, just too tough.
*The 5-6-5 league would be from one of the 5,5,6 or 5,6,5 leagues in the no-interleague 30- or 32-team schedules in the master list, so you can check out the details for that from one of those files.
*The 5-5-5 league would always have one team off at any given time (thus offdays would mostly come in 3-4 day chunks). Hopefully the Mon-Sun baseball week could be maintained, but if I had to go from scratch it is very possible the schedule would have to be set up having the series tightly packed together and that compacting may not allow for the normal Mon-Thu & Thu-Sun blocking.

I'll proceed with planning for this but probably hold off on actually building it until I hear back from you here just in case you wanted something new or different than what I described.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:17 AM   #447 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
GMO,

First off, thanks tons for even thinking about this.

Second off, no interleague is utterly, utterly fine!

Third off, I don't mind if it's a crazy wacky schedule for the 5-5-5. Just whatever's easiest for you. Note - the two schedules 5-5-5 and 5-6-5 don't even really need to match up in dates started or dates finished, or games played, or whatever - I can tinker about with that in my spare time (set up a couple of double-headers somewhere along the way and play them myself, or something).

If it's too much trouble, don't bother about it. If you could, that would be brilliant!

Thanks again, GMO. What a gem you are for even considering this nightmarish problematic schedule!
Old 02-07-2005, 03:31 AM   #448 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,090x in 1,711 posts
For what it's worth, there have been occasions in the minors where a league has operated with an odd number of teams. The ones I know about are:

1961 Florida State League (7 teams)
1966 Carolina League (11 teams, split into a 6-5 divisional alignment)
1969 Midwest League (9 teams)
1980 California League (9 teams, split into a 5-4 divisional alignment)
1985 California League (9 teams, split into a 5-4 divisional alignment)
1993 Florida State League (13 teams, split into a 7-6 divisional alignment)

I have the schedules for all of these except the 1985 California League. I've only typed out two of the list, and haven't examined all of them in detail, but of the ones I looked at I can make a few general comments.

The 1966 Carolina and 1969 Midwest Leagues played a balanced schedule; in most cases series were limited to 2 games long so that a team was never off for more than 2 days in a row. The 1993 FSL was mostly balanced, and again 2-game series were the main series length (along with some 1-game series). Teams were off for no more than 1 or 2 days in a row. The strange part about the published schedule is that it does not add up to the 136 games for each team it is supposed to. It seems a couple of teams were given an extra series and ended up playing 138 games.

The 1980 California League was interesting in that not only was it an odd number of teams in the league, but the schedule played was a divisionally weighted one. The published schedule here is again not correct in that the teams do not all play the same number of games, with it varying from 138-141 games (it was nominally a 140 game schedule). How a schedule could be adopted and published without anyone noticing it doesn't add up to the right number of games is something I don't understand. Anyway, I haven't typed this one out yet, but I probably will soon just to see what it looks like all laid out, even if the games don't add up properly.

So, taking all the above into consideration, for an odd number of teams in a league you may want to consider making the primary series length 2 games. This will mean teams won't have more than 2 days off in a row, which isn't too bad. Of course, you may have to throw in some 3-game series to round things off and give teams a 3 day break, but perhaps this could be limited to only one or two instances during the season.

Given the complexity involved, I'd suggest making it a balanced or nearly balanced schedule, since it would be much easier to deal with. It may be possible to make it divisionally weighted in spite of the odd number of teams, since the California League was able to do it, but I suspect it would be a very difficult problem to solve.

"Things have taken a turn for the surreal."

"Bid them achieve me and then sell my bones."

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 02-07-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #449 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
If it's any help, series length is no issue at all for me. I'd be more than happy if you scheduled one-game serieses where necessary (I can always swap 'em for double headers!).
Old 02-07-2005, 05:15 PM   #450 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 193x in 132 posts
ok i've got an intrestign one.

I didnt see any on the first post for this so here goes:

i'm looking for a 120 game schelduele that woudl start May 1st, and if possible, end around September 1st to 15th. I'd like to give enough time for travel since it's supposed to be before the time of planes and whatever.

there's forty teams in the league, 20 in each conference with ten in each division. i'd like to have it so that each team has a home and away series against each of the other 19 teams in their conference, minimum of three game series.

interleague play is not needed.

woudl this be possible, or is more info needed
Old 02-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #451 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 125x in 61 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougaiton
If it's any help, series length is no issue at all for me. I'd be more than happy if you scheduled one-game serieses where necessary (I can always swap 'em for double headers!).
My original plan sort of fell apart for doing the 15-team league. Or rather it was more like a souffle I got tired of trying to coax into rising. So I had to change my plan and go with nothing but continuous 3-game series where the team offdays only come at the All-Star Break and when it is their turn to be the one team (or among the three teams) in some cases when they are not playing. I don't like going that route, but it does get the job done. In this case each team plays 3 series home and 3 series away against each division opponent, and 3 total series against the other 10 teams in the league (five 2 home and 1 away and the other five 1 home and 2 away).

It is to the point of juggling the matchups to get rid of consecutive matchups between the same teams and homestands and roadtrips that are too long. So it is just a matter of time now.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #452 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo
My original plan sort of fell apart for doing the 15-team league. Or rather it was more like a souffle I got tired of trying to coax into rising. So I had to change my plan and go with nothing but continuous 3-game series where the team offdays only come at the All-Star Break and when it is their turn to be the one team (or among the three teams) in some cases when they are not playing. I don't like going that route, but it does get the job done. In this case each team plays 3 series home and 3 series away against each division opponent, and 3 total series against the other 10 teams in the league (five 2 home and 1 away and the other five 1 home and 2 away).
That sounds absolutely perfect to me, gmo. It also sounds like a helluva lot of work for yourself thus far.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:46 PM   #453 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 125x in 61 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed
i'm looking for a 120 game schelduele that woudl start May 1st, and if possible, end around September 1st to 15th. I'd like to give enough time for travel since it's supposed to be before the time of planes and whatever.

there's forty teams in the league, 20 in each conference with ten in each division. i'd like to have it so that each team has a home and away series against each of the other 19 teams in their conference, minimum of three game series.

interleague play is not needed.

woudl this be possible, or is more info needed
May 1 to Sept 1 is only about 120 days to begin with, so travel is going to be pretty tight. I can see making it with nothing but 3-game series each week, thus each team would have exactly one offday each week, and that would probably fit pretty close to exactly in May 1 to Sept 15.

If every team played the 19 league opponents one series home and one away, that would add up to 114 games. That could be stretched out to exactly 120 (I think) by making a few 4-game series, and then in the end the offdays would be about as frequent as current MLB. Adding many offdays would make the schedule longer than it sounds like you want and would probably play havoc with the scheme I use to layout series two per week. Is that acceptable?

No All-Star Break?

The end result would be similar to (just shorter than) this 40-team, 152-game schedule: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...448#post842448
That one is about 30 more games than you want since there are 8 games per opponent rather than 6-7. Figured you saw that, but just in case... Your request, if you are happy with what I am envisioning, does not sound too tough.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:32 AM   #454 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 125x in 61 posts
31 team, 162 game schedule

2 leagues, 3 divisions per league,
5 teams per division in first league and 5,6,5 teams in divisions of the second league

~72 games within division (15-18 per opponent)
~90 games within league outside division (6-10 per opponent)
no interleague games

An odd configuration 15-team league schedule plus an "old" 16-team league schedule compose this entry. Lots of quirkiness here. See the top of the file for more details.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ootp6schedule31team_23555565un.txt (32.8 KB, 118 views)
Old 02-08-2005, 01:17 AM   #455 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 193x in 132 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo
May 1 to Sept 1 is only about 120 days to begin with, so travel is going to be pretty tight. I can see making it with nothing but 3-game series each week, thus each team would have exactly one offday each week, and that would probably fit pretty close to exactly in May 1 to Sept 15.

If every team played the 19 league opponents one series home and one away, that would add up to 114 games. That could be stretched out to exactly 120 (I think) by making a few 4-game series, and then in the end the offdays would be about as frequent as current MLB. Adding many offdays would make the schedule longer than it sounds like you want and would probably play havoc with the scheme I use to layout series two per week. Is that acceptable?

No All-Star Break?

The end result would be similar to (just shorter than) this 40-team, 152-game schedule: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...448#post842448
That one is about 30 more games than you want since there are 8 games per opponent rather than 6-7. Figured you saw that, but just in case... Your request, if you are happy with what I am envisioning, does not sound too tough.
Ya there is an all star break, half way through the season, i guess three days long.

I'm thinking since it's 114 games, why not have an extra game for each divisional opponet or soemthing. I mianly jsut want to avoid the one game series that the game makes in september, very annoying.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:49 AM   #456 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 125x in 61 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed
Ya there is an all star break, half way through the season, i guess three days long.

I'm thinking since it's 114 games, why not have an extra game for each divisional opponet or soemthing. I mianly jsut want to avoid the one game series that the game makes in september, very annoying.
This is why I wait for clarification.

I went ahead and ran with what I was thinking. I made it 120 games, getting the extra 6 by with six of the opponents making one of the two series a 4-game series (four teams within the division and two outside the division). It runs May 2 to Sept 11. But I did not add in All-Star Break thinking if you wanted one with a shorter season like that it could go at the end. And for some reason I sort of thought you were one who was anti-All Star Game, but maybe I was making that up thinking of someone else.

Anyhoo, it would probably not be too difficult to slide series around a bit to open up an All-Star Break within the season, so you don't have to settle for what I have put together at this point if it is not really what you want. If you'd like that break added, would you want it really right there in the middle or a bit more toward the end by about a week or so from the middle to give more season by which to judge the All-Stars? Oh, and 120 games like I described is okay, right? That might be more difficult to change.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:28 AM   #457 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo
31 team, 162 game schedule

2 leagues, 3 divisions per league,
5 teams per division in first league and 5,6,5 teams in divisions of the second league

~72 games within division (15-18 per opponent)
~90 games within league outside division (6-10 per opponent)
no interleague games

An odd configuration 15-team league schedule plus an "old" 16-team league schedule compose this entry. Lots of quirkiness here. See the top of the file for more details.

That is absolutely fantastis, gmo. Thanks so much!

If there's anything that I can do in return, give us a shout. You're a blessing to the community.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:48 PM   #458 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
hello schedule gods

im doing a bunch of studies and im not sure what to do about the schedule. maybe you could give me your opinion? and then create something for me?

ive got 1 league, 2 divisions, 6 teams per. i am holding every rating and factor constant except 1 and then running 10 seasons, analyzing the results, and moving on to another rating.

id like to have a completely balanced schedule so as to reduce any kinda of noise from the opponent factor, but to do that i would need to play 132 or 176 games. is that a correct assumtion? teams would have to play the 11 others for 12 games (6 home/away) or 16 games (8 home/away). which then means they are not playing a standard 162 game season. would that ruin my results as well, not playing a standard season?

id be glad to answer any questions you have or dispel any confusion ive caused.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:51 PM   #459 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 265x in 188 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposableheros
hello schedule gods

im doing a bunch of studies and im not sure what to do about the schedule. maybe you could give me your opinion? and then create something for me?

ive got 1 league, 2 divisions, 6 teams per. i am holding every rating and factor constant except 1 and then running 10 seasons, analyzing the results, and moving on to another rating.

id like to have a completely balanced schedule so as to reduce any kinda of noise from the opponent factor, but to do that i would need to play 132 or 176 games. is that a correct assumtion? teams would have to play the 11 others for 12 games (6 home/away) or 16 games (8 home/away). which then means they are not playing a standard 162 game season. would that ruin my results as well, not playing a standard season?

id be glad to answer any questions you have or dispel any confusion ive caused.

Why not 154 games, 7H/7A against each of the other 11 opponents....
Old 02-08-2005, 10:34 PM   #460 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 125x in 61 posts
Sandman has an idea that gets you closer to 162. I'd imagine it depends on what you are analyzing whether your results would be adversely affected. You could go the route of playing 8 teams 15 times each and the other 3 teams 14 times each. Again, without knowing what you're doing it's hard to say whether something slightly unbalanced would pollute the study.

What I do with my experimenting league is use 10 teams so there are 9 opponents played 18 times each (in three 3-game series both home and away). I have three series covering 9 days then an offday, all the way through the schedule. I'd be glad to hook you up with that if you could and wanted to adjust your league to 10 total teams.

If not, making another one for you for experimentation would be easier than normal since it would not need much "prettying up" like normal schedules. Well, now that I think about it, if it is a typical sort of configuration (as 2 divisions of 6 teams is, even if the schedule is balanced), it may as well be made nice for general use as well if the layout of the games is conducive for that. Do you care at all about series really being series, or are you fine with single games and maybe pairs of games being much more common than the usual when 3- and 4-game sets are about all there is?