Home | Webstore
Latest News: Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - OOTP 15 Announced! - OOTP 14: Update #7 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.5 Available! - Out Of The Park Baseball 14 Released! - iOOTP Baseball 2013 for iOS Available NOW! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Announced - Pre-Order Now!

Beyond the Sideline Football Announced!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2004, 03:16 PM   #161 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,704x in 1,510 posts
That's it, I'm now sure gmo is really a robot or a computer or something. I mean, he must be a machine given the way he's cranking out those schedules!

I feel like a snail in comparison... some day I might even get out one wholly fictional schedule file...

"Things have taken a turn for the surreal."

"Bid them achieve me and then sell my bones."
Old 07-20-2004, 09:51 PM   #162 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 214x in 155 posts
Infractions: 0/2 (2)
bumping this...Henry this should be a sticky
Old 07-21-2004, 06:54 AM   #163 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 11x in 9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton
bumping this...Henry this should be a sticky
It has been for a couple weeks at least......
Old 07-22-2004, 04:23 PM   #164 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 361x in 215 posts
I have a few questions about schedules and figured this is a good place to ask...

For the schedules in this thread, if you import one into your league at the start of your league(yr 1) will this same schedule be used for every season thereafter?

If the answer to the latter is yes, does the game change the team matchups automatically so that the schedules are different from year to year or does this have to be done manually?

If you have to change the team matchups manually is there an easy way to go about doing this?

So basically what I want to know is can I import a schedule and keep that schedule's structure but have different matchups from year to year?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 05:57 PM   #165 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 214x in 155 posts
Infractions: 0/2 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
It has been for a couple weeks at least......
DOH!

You're right...it doesn't show Sticky status when you search for the thread...weird
Old 07-22-2004, 07:14 PM   #166 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 108x in 51 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu
For the schedules in this thread, if you import one into your league at the start of your league(yr 1) will this same schedule be used for every season thereafter?

If the answer to the latter is yes, does the game change the team matchups automatically so that the schedules are different from year to year or does this have to be done manually?
You'd think I should know the answer to this, but I'm not sure I do. I believe in the previous OOTP versions that the schedule would (likely) change automatically going into the next season in some manner based on the order of finish in the division. Something like maybe teams 1/2/3/4/5 could be say 4/3/1/5/2 the next season. So that would mix up intradivisional matchups, and even if it was like the AL East and continually had the same order, other divisions mixing themselves up would cause changes to the out-of-division games. I don't know the exact details though, or even if this still holds for OOTP6, though I am pretty sure it does. If someone does not come in soon behind me clarifying this I'll see what I can figure out.

Quote:
If you have to change the team matchups manually is there an easy way to go about doing this?

So basically what I want to know is can I import a schedule and keep that schedule's structure but have different matchups from year to year?
This is a little off from what you asked, but I recommend checking out this thread about adjusting to keep the games and days of week in line. It may sound complicated, but I don't think it really. It requires just a couple simple tasks in a spreadsheet. Another easy thing to add some variety to the matchups you can do in a spreadsheet is flip the away and home team columns. I like doing this because for some schedules where the home/away matchups aren't balanced in one year, this gets that balance over a two year period. A last thing I'll do regularly is manually change the team numbers with each division in a text file. This takes a little work, but is worth it for the variety. Say you start with the first division which has teams 1-6. You can Find/Replace in order (what's in the quotes) all the ",1," to ",XX,", then all the ",2," to ",1," then the ",3," to ",2," then the ",4," to ",3,", then the ",5," to ",4,", then the ",6," to ",5,", then the ",XX," to ",6,". Takes a little effort with a bigger league with several division, but not too much IMO for the changes you get - it's only a few minutes. Just be careful when changing you has already put the number you are changing to somewhere else already be it a place holder (XX) or another number. And make sure that the away & home teams (2nd & 3rd items in file data row) and not the start times (4th item) have have commas on both sides.

So in summary, I'll take a schedule and every year adjust in a spreadsheet the day numbers as described in the thread linked above. In alternating years I'll flip the home and away columns in a spreadsheet. In the years I don't do that flip, I shift the team number around within each division, or at very least the division of my team where I pay close attention to all the games and could easily recognize repeating patterns. With those last two changes there is a lot of variety added.

Hope that helps. I've been thinking a good description of this sort of stuff would be good to put here. But I don't think I did that with this post, plus there is more to describe. Maybe I should work on that. Anything unclear, let me know and I'll try to construct better explanations.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:26 PM   #167 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanks gmo, that helps a lot and i'll check out that link...

What I really want is just to input ONE schedule and keep that structure for every season of my league and just have the team matchup change so that its not an identical sched. every year... looks like I have a little work to do
Old 07-22-2004, 07:34 PM   #168 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 108x in 51 posts
Quote:
Thanks gmo, that helps a lot and i'll check out that link...

What I really want is just to input ONE schedule and keep that structure for every season of my league and just have the team matchup change so that its not an identical sched. every year... looks like I have a little work to do
I think you can indeed do that with what I mentioned at the top of the above happening automatically. The days of the week probably get thrown off in that case, but that may not matter to you. Plus adjusting the "Year start on" day could compensate for that. Might have to do that by trial & error. I should study up and figure this stuff out.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:50 PM   #169 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanks again gmo.... the days of the week don't really matter too much, I can live with that. However, would the 'automatic' changing of the team matchups screw up interleague play?

For instance I was going to try your 12 team 162 game schedule...

2 leagues, 6 teams each, with some interleague
126 intraleague games (63H/63A), 24-27 games per opponent
36 interleague games (18H/18A), 6 games per opponent

Is the game able to recognize the interleague games? Guess I'll have to run a test first.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:10 PM   #170 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 108x in 51 posts
In running a quick test myself with that very 12-team schedule, the teams were mixed up the next season, but the structure did not change (interleague games still there, 24-27 games per opponent in division, etc). Offhand I couldn't figure out the method to the mixing within each division. It did not appear that the teams were rearranged strictly based on their order of finish the year before.

On an "ack" note, I was made to remember that the issue with the days of the week is only in that the calendar is no longer accurate if you simply proceed and go with the new schedule. Games Monday April 5, 2004 become games on Monday April 5, 2005 the next season. The problem is that there will be no Monday April 5, 2005. Fri-Sun series will continue to be Fri-Sun, but those days of the week will not match the real calendar most year. This is something that may irk those like LGO, myself, and a few others, but probably not many.

So it seems just importing a schedule once will indeed give you a consistent structure but with variety in matchups over different seasons. Games will not shift days of the week (assuming you do not alter the "Year starts on" day), and the only "problem", if you want to even call it that, is that the calendar is not accurate. One note - I did not add the All-Star Game for my test. Would not think so, but it is possible this may need to be added each year.

Thanks for making me at least refresh my brain on this, Ktulu.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:51 PM   #171 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 35x in 21 posts
So there would be a Friday the 13th in the same month every year?

[insert X-Files theme music here]
<INSERT here music theme X-Files>
Old 07-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #172 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for making me at least refresh my brain on this, Ktulu.
Thank you for doing the work, its greatly appreciated, as I havent experimented with schedules yet.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:14 AM   #173 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm8356
So there would be a Friday the 13th in the same month every year?
Yes, IF you choose to keep the SAME the "Year starts on" value for every season you do.

The thing is, I think OOTP automatically increments the "Year starts on" value when you proceed to the next season. This ordinarily would be a good thing, except for the fact that OOTP does not recognize leap years (it never accounts for a Feb. 29th). The result of this is that once you hit a leap year, the series may no longer line up to the correct days (i.e. a series originally scheduled for Fri-Sat-Sun may end up as Thu-Fri-Sat).

This was the reason I posted a little table (subsequently improved by gmo) listing the correct "Year starts on" value to use in OOTP if you wanted the days of the week to match up to the correct dates for a given year. In other words, you'd have your OOTP calendar match that of the real world.

There are basically these three options:

1) Use the same "Year starts on" value every season so that your series start and end on the proper days. This option is by far the simplest solution. The down side is that your calendar won't match up to the date/day of the week combination as in the real world calendar.

2) Use the proper "Year starts on" value to make your calendars realistic. The down side is that you need to adjust your schedule file every season to ensure the series are starting and ending on the proper day of the week to match the calendar.

3) Let OOTP increment the "Year starts on" value automatically, and ignore both the fact that the date/day of the week combination doesn't match reality and that the series won't start and end on the proper days after a few seasons.

Personally, I'd say #2 is the ideal solution, but it involves some work. But it does have the advantage of making your schedules the absolutely most realistic, as you could also have proper looking road trips for every season (something impossible if you simply let OOTP switch up the opponents). If someone posting a schedule file included a set of schedules designed specifically for each possible "Year starts on" value, then that work would be done for you already. This isn't quite as bad as it sounds, since there are only 7 possible "Year starts on" values.

(This, incidentally, is what I plan to do whenever I finally manage to get around to creating some fictional schedules.)

Leaving aside option #2, I'd then say #1 is the best remaining choice and #3 the worst.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 07-23-2004 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:20 AM   #174 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo
Offhand I couldn't figure out the method to the mixing within each division. It did not appear that the teams were rearranged strictly based on their order of finish the year before.
I'm pretty sure this is how OOTP used to do it - it simply changed up the opponents in the schedule based on the position of finish in the division from the previous season.

I haven't really examined this though, so it's possible that the real method is either more involved and/or was changed in OOTP6. Sounds like a testing project is in order at some point...

Old 07-23-2004, 03:22 AM   #175 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 108x in 51 posts
^^^ Well described. If I do get to making the thorough how-to for importing the csv-format schedules like I was talking about, I think I'll quote most of that.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:58 AM   #176 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 35x in 21 posts
12 team, 162-game schedules

2 leagues, 1 division per league, 6 teams per division
(or 1 league, 2 divisions, 6 teams per division)

90 games versus own division (18 per opponent)
72 games versus other division (12 per opponent)

Along the vein of recent discussion, here's a group of 7 schedules, one for each "Year Starts On" day. Also included is gmo's chart for accurate "Year Starts On" days.

I think I took the 1986 schedule w/o doubleheaders, deleted the AL, and then juggled a few series around to break up the longer road trips and try to reduce my pet peeve, two game road trips/homestands. (I also have gmo's 24 team, 2/2/6 schedule lying around, so I might have started with that one.)

The only quirky thing is one team in league/division 2 makes a "tour of the division" in late September, visiting every park in 3 2-game and 2 3-game series. I decided I could live with that, considering some of the 4-series-long trips have more games than this.

Big thanks to LGO and gmo for doing 95% of the actual work involved.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ootp6schedule12team_216un_7days.zip (19.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 07-27-2004, 01:06 AM   #177 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 108x in 51 posts
24 team, 162 game schedule

2 leagues, 3 divisions per league, 4 teams per division
54 games in the division (18 per opponent)
96 games outside division, but still inside league (12 per opponent)
12 interleague games (3 per opponent against 4 teams of one division)

There are 3 different schedule files included in the attached zip to get interleague matchups against each of the three divisions of the other league. See the README included in the zip and comments at the top of the schedule files for a few more details.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ootp6schedule24team_234u_b.zip (19.1 KB, 198 views)
Old 07-31-2004, 02:32 AM   #178 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 21x in 14 posts
I have a league I could use a schedule for......

Its a 2 league 2 division 30 team league.
I've basically made league 1 the original 16 major league teams. League 2 is the 14 expansion teams the Majors have had. So you have 2 8 team divisions in league 1 and league 2 has two 7 team divisions.

I would prefer an unbalanced schedule with no interleague play. If someone has something close to this..that would be great...thanks.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:32 AM   #179 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 108x in 51 posts
30 team, 162 game schedules

2 leagues, 2 divisions per league, 8 or 7 teams per division
--16 team league
----114 games in the division (16-17 per opponent)
----48 games outside division (6 per opponent)
----no interleague
--14 team league
----120 games in the division (20 per opponent)
----42 games outside division (6 per opponent)
----no interleague

Use the "2287un" file if the League 1 in your configuration is the larger (Teams 1-16).
Use the "2278un" file if the League 2 in your configuration is the larger (Teams 15-30).

See the comments at the top of the files for more details.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ootp6schedule30team_2287un.txt (31.6 KB, 181 views)
File Type: txt ootp6schedule30team_2278un.txt (31.6 KB, 179 views)
Old 07-31-2004, 07:39 AM   #180 (permalink)
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 108x in 51 posts
14 team, 162 game schedule

2 leagues, 1 division per league, 7 teams per division
(or 1 league, 2 divisions, 7 teams per division)

120 games in the division (20 per opponent)
42 interleague, or interdivisional for 1-league setup, games (6 per opponent)

This schedule is the 14-team league schedule from this 30-team schedule.

See the comments at the top of the files for more details.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ootp6schedule14team_27u.txt (14.2 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by gmo; 07-31-2004 at 07:45 AM.