Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 15 Released! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - OOTP 14: Update #7 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.5 Available! - Out Of The Park Baseball 14 Released! - iOOTP Baseball 2013 for iOS Available NOW! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Released - Buy Now!

Beyond the Sideline Football Announced!
  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1x in 1 post
Estimated daily time req'd to be a GM?

I don't believe anything official has been put out there, but maybe if some seasoned GM simulation guys could weigh in on what kind of time commitment I should expect to be a reasonably effective GM? I'm not sure what kind of automation features are typical of OOTP or EHM/HLS etc. ? How would 1hr/day work?

I tried EHM a couple of times but felt overwhelmed with all the features and options and was simply too lazy to sink the time into overcoming what I perceived to be a big learning curve. That's why I'm asking for the feedback.
papabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
RchW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: White Vegas - The party town
Posts: 8,379
Thanks: 1,615
Thanked 1,922x in 1,213 posts
May I suggest sincerely that you just play the game (when it is released of course). Of all the things in life you may have concerns about; FHM or OOTP or FM or any recreation you choose should not be one of them.

FWIW.
__________________
Cheers

RichW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Ignoring your posts because you're a bigot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis
Who am I to judge?
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)
 
Stinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 239
Thanks: 51
Thanked 126x in 68 posts
Well, I guess the important question is: are you referring to singleplayer or online multiplayer?

If you mean multiplayer, then you may need to play quite regularly to keep your team up-to-date, and avoid annoying the other human managers.

If you mean singleplayer, however, then it's all up to you. The game-world only "continues" when you tell it to, so you can spend as much or as little time as you want. You can also leave tactics and lineups to be set by your head coach, as well as simming your games (as opposed to watching them live), which will cut out a lot of time.
__________________
The Blue Line moderator
Stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
trident (11-23-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 1,340
Thanks: 691
Thanked 539x in 303 posts
one of the things i love about ootp opposed to EHM and FM is that i can simulate a season much quicker. I like to make some minor changes then simulate to the deadline then again to the playoffs.

With hockey i'll be alittle more hands on but i don't really want to be the coach. I want to hire my coach and leave those decisions to him. I just hope that in FHM the coaches make a difference. EHM they never really did or at least it never appeared that they did.
__________________
IN 1964 THE LEAFS WON THE STANLEY CUP :: IT'S ALSO THE YEAR THE CANADIAN FLAG WAS DESIGNED...coincidence?
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinson View Post
Well, I guess the important question is: are you referring to singleplayer or online multiplayer?

If you mean multiplayer, then you may need to play quite regularly to keep your team up-to-date, and avoid annoying the other human managers.

If you mean singleplayer, however, then it's all up to you. The game-world only "continues" when you tell it to, so you can spend as much or as little time as you want. You can also leave tactics and lineups to be set by your head coach, as well as simming your games (as opposed to watching them live), which will cut out a lot of time.
Thanks sir. I did mean multiplayer, but the fact you mentioned single player was helpful too because I never considered it really. I guess it'll depend on the league I join and how quickly they progress through a season.

The purpose of asking the question is part of my determining whether to spend money on this game. RchW if you'll buy the game for me to try for free then I can stop asking questions. I feel like the rate at which I post is pretty reasonable, so no worries about spam in case you're not up for it
papabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
RchW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: White Vegas - The party town
Posts: 8,379
Thanks: 1,615
Thanked 1,922x in 1,213 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabri View Post
The purpose of asking the question is part of my determining whether to spend money on this game. RchW if you'll buy the game for me to try for free then I can stop asking questions. I feel like the rate at which I post is pretty reasonable, so no worries about spam in case you're not up for it


How did you get that response from my post?

__________________
Cheers

RichW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Ignoring your posts because you're a bigot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis
Who am I to judge?
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
All Star Reserve
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: North Smithfield,Ri,USA
Posts: 582
Thanks: 4
Thanked 9x in 8 posts
Yeah I am kind of on the fence for a 2012 Maserati, if you would buy it for me to try for free I wouldn't spam you either....
__________________
My eyes perceive the present, but my roots are imbedded deeply in the grandeur of the past. "Chief Meyers"
Jestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 54
Thanks: 26
Thanked 12x in 9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
one of the things i love about ootp opposed to EHM and FM is that i can simulate a season much quicker. I like to make some minor changes then simulate to the deadline then again to the playoffs.

With hockey i'll be alittle more hands on but i don't really want to be the coach. I want to hire my coach and leave those decisions to him. I just hope that in FHM the coaches make a difference. EHM they never really did or at least it never appeared that they did.
I'm right with you. I automate things, so I do not have to micromanage, and I sim games. Basically, I like to play the role of an overbearing GM - I do the basic GM job, then make my coach play who I say. And, based on my experience with OOTP, FHM will be much less labor intensive (and will have a much less steep learning curve) than EHM.
GlennN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)
 
CeeBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chase BC Canada
Posts: 105
Thanks: 152
Thanked 29x in 16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN View Post
I'm right with you. I automate things, so I do not have to micromanage, and I sim games. Basically, I like to play the role of an overbearing GM - I do the basic GM job, then make my coach play who I say. And, based on my experience with OOTP, FHM will be much less labor intensive (and will have a much less steep learning curve) than EHM.
I hope that doesn't mean it will be less in depth than EHM.
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 1,340
Thanks: 691
Thanked 539x in 303 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
I hope that doesn't mean it will be less in depth than EHM.
That's just Glenn's speculation. But an accurate one considering EHM 07 took a few versions to gain the depth it did. And ootp is on it's 13th version, it could be comparable to ootp 6 features with the 13 UI. It's a large project to build a game with limited time and minimal staff and we have to be realistic.

Please remind me of this statement every once in a while so i don't forget.
__________________
IN 1964 THE LEAFS WON THE STANLEY CUP :: IT'S ALSO THE YEAR THE CANADIAN FLAG WAS DESIGNED...coincidence?
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 54
Thanks: 26
Thanked 12x in 9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
I hope that doesn't mean it will be less in depth than EHM.
Nope, didn't mean that at all. The beauty of OOTP is that it allows one to automate things or micromanage as you please. It fits both of our needs. Based on the amazing depth of OOTP, I expect FHM to be every bit as deep as EHM (but have an ability to be less so).
GlennN is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
CeeBee (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)
 
CeeBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chase BC Canada
Posts: 105
Thanks: 152
Thanked 29x in 16 posts
I have OOTP10 and some things that I didn't like was the way scouting was handled. Allocate a budget which can't be changed after the season starts. Hire a scouting director but no scouts plus very little hands on scouting capabilities. Amateur draft was only 10? rounds I think. Not enough to restock the minors which led to a huge amount of imaginary players. Minor's seemed like an afterthought. I played a lot of season but usually lost interest. I guess I could never develop an attachment to any team I had. There were certainly a lot of good points too but I guess for me it was the lack of feeling like it really made any difference what I did. Sure hope FHM works better for me
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wagontown,PA
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22x in 16 posts
Estimated daily time required to be a GM

First it depends on single player or multiplayer. Then it depends on how you approach the game as a GM meaning will you be a gambler or play it cool. Being a GM takes time just like the real gm's are. There are so many things that a GM has to do in making decisions. A true GM never rests at all he constantly works 24/7. If you want to be a great well known GM then you will have to work very long hours. There's always something that a GM has to do. The daily time for a GM greatly depends on how successful you want the team to succeed in winning that Championship trophy. That pretty much sums it up.
__________________
fredreed
fredreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Developer
 
Sebastian Palkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,468
Thanks: 172
Thanked 2,737x in 719 posts
A lot of stuff here but I try to cover some of them:

1. SIM vs. Play out games

Different then in EHM or better: the same as in OOTP. You can choose your style of play (and change it whenever you want), simulate day by day and play out every game or simulate days/weeks/months/seasons without playing out your games or mix it and play out just important games.

2. CPU help

Again, it is up to you how you want to play the game: you can let the CPU handle everything for you or just parts like training, scouting, transactions, draft, ... or you can handle everything but still ask your Assistant to e.g. generate your lines.

3. Scouting

Thats one part we did not port from OOTP. In FHM you have individual scouts who you can assign to player/teams/leagues/regions/nations.
__________________
iOOTP Developer - Franchise Hockey Manager Lead Developer
Sebastian Palkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
8 thanks for this post:
Afino (12-08-2012), CeeBee (12-08-2012), Corsairs (12-08-2012), damientheomen3 (12-08-2012), ootp3to6 (12-08-2012), papabri (12-08-2012), RoPa (12-08-2012), Winnipeg59 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)
 
CeeBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chase BC Canada
Posts: 105
Thanks: 152
Thanked 29x in 16 posts
Thanks Sebastian. I'm really glad to see the comments on scouting . For me half the fun at least is scouting, drafting, signing and watching the kids develop..... or not Maybe that's why the longer I play EHM, the more attached to my team(s) I become.
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
RoPa (12-08-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
tcblcommish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,565
Thanks: 178
Thanked 267x in 157 posts
Sim vs play out games option is interesting. I look forward to controlling my team in game! What kind of decisions would we get to make while coaching?
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 197
Thanks: 177
Thanked 31x in 21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
A lot of stuff here but I try to cover some of them:

1. SIM vs. Play out games

Different then in EHM or better: the same as in OOTP. You can choose your style of play (and change it whenever you want), simulate day by day and play out every game or simulate days/weeks/months/seasons without playing out your games or mix it and play out just important games.

2. CPU help

Again, it is up to you how you want to play the game: you can let the CPU handle everything for you or just parts like training, scouting, transactions, draft, ... or you can handle everything but still ask your Assistant to e.g. generate your lines.

3. Scouting

Thats one part we did not port from OOTP. In FHM you have individual scouts who you can assign to player/teams/leagues/regions/nations.
Will have a "Commissioner Mode"? (like in OOTP)
flaquis010285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Afino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 3,168
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 644
Thanked 444x in 262 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post

3. Scouting

Thats one part we did not port from OOTP. In FHM you have individual scouts who you can assign to player/teams/leagues/regions/nations.


I miss that in OOTP.
__________________
GUBA: Moscow Enforcers

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2013 Out of the Park Developments