Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #5 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Released - Buy Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Major Leagues
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 413
Thanks: 265
Thanked 130x in 62 posts
Requirements for a player to appear in the historical database?

Question for Jeff and/or Sebastian.

I know this was touched upon in the dev diary, but I was just checking for more clarification if you don't mind.

Let's say for example a player was a draft bust and a career minor leaguer, and never made it on an opening NHL roster with a club. But he does have 3 career games in the NHL from a mid-season call up one season. Will this player make it into the database? Basically what I'm asking is, as long as a player played at least 1 NHL game, will he make it in?

Also, I know with a historical mode we should try to keep it as historically accurate as possible, but I think it would be extremely cool if some major draft busts who never played in the NHL could make it into the database. Not expecting to turn them into stars or anything, but as a Habs fan I'd love to be able to try and turn guys like Brent Bilodeau and Lindsay Vallis into at least serviceable bottom line guys. Now I know this may seem like a lot to ask, so I definitely understand if this feature doesn't make it into version 1. But maybe it's a possibility down the line?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Last edited by Habsfan18; 12-23-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,479
Thanks: 276
Thanked 284x in 201 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Question for Jeff and/or Sebastian.

I know this was touched upon in the dev diary, but I was just checking for more clarification if you don't mind.

Let's say for example a player was a draft bust and a career minor leaguer, and never made it on an opening NHL roster with a club. But he does have 3 career games in the NHL from a mid-season call up one season. Will this player make it into the database? Basically what I'm asking is, as long as a player played at least 1 NHL game, will he make it in?

Also, I know with a historical mode we should try to keep it as historically accurate as possible, but I think it would be extremely cool if some major draft busts who never played in the NHL could make it into the database. Not expecting to turn them into stars or anything, but as a Habs fan I'd love to be able to try and turn guys like Brent Bilodeau and Lindsay Vallis into at least serviceable bottom line guys. Now I know this may seem like a lot to ask, so I definitely understand if this feature doesn't make it into version 1. But maybe it's a possibility down the line?

Thanks a bunch guys!
I asked in another thread about Glenn Hall. During one season he played in every game and the back-up never played so will the back-up goalie be available in FHM even though he never appeared in a game during that season(guessing it was Denis DeJordy-could be wrong).
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
All Star Reserve
 
shawa666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 586
Thanks: 524
Thanked 207x in 123 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
I asked in another thread about Glenn Hall. During one season he played in every game and the back-up never played so will the back-up goalie be available in FHM even though he never appeared in a game during that season(guessing it was Denis DeJordy-could be wrong).
I guess that it goes like they do it in the original OOTP database. If a player played in a NHL game, he's in.
shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Developer
 
Sebastian Palkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,588
Thanks: 179
Thanked 3,080x in 771 posts
Every player, who played at least one game in the NHL is in.
__________________
iOOTP Developer - Franchise Hockey Manager Lead Developer
Sebastian Palkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
geckon (12-23-2012), Habsfan18 (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
FHM Producer
 
JeffR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 3,690
Thanks: 46
Thanked 4,095x in 981 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Every player, who played at least one game in the NHL is in.
And in the WHA, too. Time permitting, I'll add guys who got very close to the NHL, like the first-round busts and players with long careers in the high minors (AHL/CHL/late IHL/old WHL.)

Re: the goalies, there'll be plenty. Players are assigned to the team they were owned by in a given season, even if they didn't play, so during the Hall years in Chicago the guys who were #2 and lower on their depth chart (mostly DeJordy and Roy Edwards, but a few other future/former NHLers were in there, too) will be on the Hawk roster.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
geckon (12-23-2012), Habsfan18 (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Major Leagues
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 413
Thanks: 265
Thanked 130x in 62 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
And in the WHA, too. Time permitting, I'll add guys who got very close to the NHL, like the first-round busts and players with long careers in the high minors (AHL/CHL/late IHL/old WHL.)

Re: the goalies, there'll be plenty. Players are assigned to the team they were owned by in a given season, even if they didn't play, so during the Hall years in Chicago the guys who were #2 and lower on their depth chart (mostly DeJordy and Roy Edwards, but a few other future/former NHLers were in there, too) will be on the Hawk roster.
That would be awesome Jeff. Guys who never played in the NHL as 1st rounders, like Kevin Cheveldayoff, Brent Bilodeau, Ryan Sittler etc..that would be pretty cool.

And as for players playing in 1 career NHL game, let's use Jason Herter as an example. He was drafted 8th overall by Vancouver in 1989, but his only career game was with the New York Islanders in 1995-1996. If I understand this correctly, he will be listed in the database, but won't show up in the game until that specific season he played the 1 game for the Islanders?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 333
Thanks: 38
Thanked 29x in 17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
That would be awesome Jeff. Guys who never played in the NHL as 1st rounders, like Kevin Cheveldayoff, Brent Bilodeau, Ryan Sittler etc..that would be pretty cool.

And as for players playing in 1 career NHL game, let's use Jason Herter as an example. He was drafted 8th overall by Vancouver in 1989, but his only career game was with the New York Islanders in 1995-1996. If I understand this correctly, he will be listed in the database, but won't show up in the game until that specific season he played the 1 game for the Islanders?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions.
You could choose to have every player appear in their draft eligible year, if I read Jeff's post correct.
__________________
FHM 13 Swedish researcher. Please contact me if you want to assist with the research, if you've found incorrect data etc.
Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
geckon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 1,232
Thanks: 881
Thanked 268x in 189 posts
I am not one of the biggest fans of historical mode but guys your work is awesome. I really admire your effort. You are doing great and if you are trying at least a bit similarly hard to this when you work on european leagues and the whole modern world mode I can't look forward more!
Thanks.

(Although not being a big fan of historical mode I think about starting a game in early 90's and remind myself times when I collected hockey player cards and watched NHL a bit.)
geckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
FHM Producer
 
JeffR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 3,690
Thanks: 46
Thanked 4,095x in 981 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
And as for players playing in 1 career NHL game, let's use Jason Herter as an example. He was drafted 8th overall by Vancouver in 1989, but his only career game was with the New York Islanders in 1995-1996. If I understand this correctly, he will be listed in the database, but won't show up in the game until that specific season he played the 1 game for the Islanders?
No, for Herter it'll be:

If the "appear at 17" option is set (vs. "appear in first season he was an NHL team's property"), he'll show up as a free agent in 87-88, ready to be drafted or signed depending on how you have your draft rules set - so if you're using the historically correct draft rules, he won't be draftable until 1989 (not 88, he's got a late birthday)
Vancouver 89-90 through 92-93
Dallas 93-94 and 94-95
NY Islanders 95-96
Free agent 96-97 through 01-02 (the years he was with independent IHL teams and then in Germany)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Habsfan18 (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,479
Thanks: 276
Thanked 284x in 201 posts
If there is no WHA-how long will Gordie Howe have to sit out before re-appearing in the NHL?

Another question. If a player only plays in one season does that mean he can no longer play afterwards(Jack McCartan played goal for NYRangers and re-appeared much later with WHA MN Fighting Saints).
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Major Leagues
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 413
Thanks: 265
Thanked 130x in 62 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
No, for Herter it'll be:

If the "appear at 17" option is set (vs. "appear in first season he was an NHL team's property"), he'll show up as a free agent in 87-88, ready to be drafted or signed depending on how you have your draft rules set - so if you're using the historically correct draft rules, he won't be draftable until 1989 (not 88, he's got a late birthday)
Vancouver 89-90 through 92-93
Dallas 93-94 and 94-95
NY Islanders 95-96
Free agent 96-97 through 01-02 (the years he was with independent IHL teams and then in Germany)
Awesome. I want this game right damn now.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,479
Thanks: 276
Thanked 284x in 201 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Awesome. I want this game right damn now.
Me too. I downloaded Pro Football Simulator and a Pro Basketball Simulator and can't figure out how to play either of them. Waiting patiently on the hockey game. Got OOTP to tide me over.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Global Moderator
 
CONN CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 25,029
Thanks: 2,155
Thanked 1,188x in 836 posts
Will any of the Cold War era Soviets make it into the database?

Vladislav Tretiak was certainly a pro goaltender save for the Iron Curtain.
Attached Images
 
__________________
“Some people say we need a third party. I wish we had a second one.”
― Jim Hightower
REC World Prizefighter Rankings(If you have a few seconds, please click the GoogleAd link to help foot the bills for this silly site)
PHIL COKE must GO.
CONN CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
FHM Producer
 
JeffR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 3,690
Thanks: 46
Thanked 4,095x in 981 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
Will any of the Cold War era Soviets make it into the database?

Vladislav Tretiak was certainly a pro goaltender save for the Iron Curtain.
Only the ones that actually played in the NHL, so no Tretiak. I don't want to have that big of a departure from history built into the database, and it'll be easy enough for someone to edit them in if they really want those guys.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,479
Thanks: 276
Thanked 284x in 201 posts
Since the NHL Cleveland Barons basically disbanded(merged w/ MN North Stars), how will FHM handle that situation?
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Cryomaniac (12-24-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 439
Thanks: 120
Thanked 70x in 55 posts
We could probably create a database for people like Tretiak. I also would love to see him in the game (I always tried to get him as a coach in EHM) but he definitely does not qualify to be in game due to the parameters given by the developers. It might not make it into version 1 but maybe the creation of an additional database to make this work will be soon.
RamMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,227
Thanks: 72
Thanked 120x in 68 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan12 View Post
We could probably create a database for people like Tretiak. I also would love to see him in the game (I always tried to get him as a coach in EHM) but he definitely does not qualify to be in game due to the parameters given by the developers. It might not make it into version 1 but maybe the creation of an additional database to make this work will be soon.
I would think that people would create mods to include these players. Similar to how in OOTP there are databases that include the Negro league players.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 24
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2x in 2 posts
What would be totally awesome in some future version would be if we had all the eastern European players in the database along with other top players from around the world who did not play in the NHL historically.

Add in Olympics, World Championships, Canada Cup etc. where these players will play.

We should be able to draft and sign any of the players from the "western world", even if they did not play in the NHL historically. Personally I would love to bring over some of the top Danish players from the early 1990's, even though they never made it in real life.

The eastern European players should be draft-eligible but blocked from signing until the Iron Curtain falls around 1989/1990. We should be able to manually trigger the fall of the Iron Curtain at any time though, if we wish to do so in our simulated hockey universe.
ElQuapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2013 Out of the Park Developments