Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 2014: Version 1.6.8 Available! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - OOTP 15 Announced! - OOTP 14: Update #7 Released! - Out Of The Park Baseball 14 Released! - iOOTP Baseball 2013 for iOS Available NOW! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Announced - Pre-Order Now!

Beyond the Sideline Football Announced!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 13 > OOTP 13 - General Discussions

OOTP 13 - General Discussions Discuss the 2012 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 201x in 120 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
The only negative change now that the growing pains have been smoothed out is that the hard cap option is gone.
shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 722x in 386 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMan View Post
I started my league with OOTP12 so I did not have to convert a OOTP11 league over.

I play fictional leagues and I am not having any financial problems with my setup. I use the default settings for everything and have not had any real issues with finances. I can't sign all the players I want and I have to be careful on what I spend in FA because ARB demands really throws the budget off but I don't notice any problems. After 11 seasons my highest paid player was at $24M so not to bad. My stats are pretty realistic and are believable for a fictional league. Overall I find OOTP12 a very realistic and enjoyable game.
You have to remember, the default financial settings now, were not the default settings when OOTP 12 was released.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 119x in 67 posts
I've decided that I'll pay the extra $5 once I read that 13 is out and running well. I'll probably still end up with it earlier in the year than I was able to first get 12.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Qrusher14242 (02-17-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 302x in 192 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawa666 View Post
The only negative change now that the growing pains have been smoothed out is that the hard cap option is gone.
What do you mean the hard cap option is gone?

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 4x in 4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Just for the record, my post was not suggesting the financial area was not a problem it just didn't happen to me. That seems to happen a lot and I'm mystified. I don't get FA going unsigned. My salaries don't go into the high $20 million range. I can't dominate as easily as many others appear to, and I get realistic stats.

That's why I asked the question, are those who created leagues in v12 having more problems than those who converted v11 leagues?
default settings were getting me frustrated for the frequency of unrealistic balks, wp, walks when bases loaded, injuries and severity Took me a while to tweak the modifiers for the wp and balks, but still walks are a problem.

Still frustrated with the 2 out fast guy on 2nd and won't score on a base hit or even give me the options to send him but AI doesn't seem to have problem scoring.

Now midway in the season SP giving up 2-3 runs in the first then mowes them down after the 1st.

I beginning to think when simmed out these things mentioned do not happen and you get a more realistic outcome. I think this because with the ratings my guys I should dominate. Maybe I will try to sim a whole season with my guys and see the outcome.

I have reservations buying 13 until I see in the forums these issues are solved.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 520x in 288 posts
Do you mean walks, balks, etc don't feel right or you have looked at the data for the year and compared them to actual MLB numbers? So far in my 19th century leagues using auto-import of league totals the numbers are coming pretty close to what really happened. I can't say I have really looked at 2011 settings and seen if the game were off from real life but historical totals are giving close to historical numbers.

For instance in 1876 retrosheet says the NL had 336 walks. In my game my league had 322 walks in 1876. That is under the actual total by only 4%. 1877, my BBs are -1% from actual league totals. They were 12% over in 1878 compared to real walks. In 1879 there were 508 BBs according to retrosheet, in my game 482 for a -5% difference. Looking at the data over the years walks seem to be just as likely to be under as over for the year which is what you expect from a stochastic random walk process.

Last edited by Biggio509; 02-21-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 thanks for this post:
AESP_pres (02-21-2012), oman19 (02-21-2012), RchW (02-25-2012), Sweed (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 596x in 243 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
default settings were getting me frustrated for the frequency of unrealistic balks, wp, walks when bases loaded, injuries and severity Took me a while to tweak the modifiers for the wp and balks, but still walks are a problem.
Are you using autocalc to get your league total modifiers? How close do you want them to be?

I ask because my totals, using autocalc, have been close in most cases and acceptable, to me, in the case of balks where they are a bit off. In my last completed season my expectations were:

wp total 1458. My OOTP season result 1399 = ~4% too low.(.300 p\g real life, OOTP .288 p\g) Very happy with this result.

balks total 146. My OOTP season 190 = ~30% high. (.030 p\g real life, OOTP .039 p\g) Seems a bit off but acceptable to me for the following reason....
The balk category is the only total that is off by more than 5%(most are actually in the 2 to 3% range). 30% may not sound great but I am dealing with a small number so every balk above or below the target results in a larger deviation than any other stat. Being only 10 off means a 6.8% deviation from expectations. With these small numbers I am thinking it could merely be a normal variation, though on the outlying edge(not a statistician so only my layman's observation, open to correction). This doesn't really bother me as it is only one season and could very well either go the other way next season or end up much closer to the expected total.

Also keep in mind according to baseballreference.com balks in the 2000's have been a constant .03 per game but then went up to .04 in 2010 making my .039 OOTP league look pretty good. If you check 1990-2000 balks p\g were running a consistent .04 with some seasons as high as .07.

Last edited by Sweed; 02-21-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 16x in 8 posts
Just wanted to chime in with my two cents...

My first experience with OOTP was when I was introduced to OOTP11 by a friend. When the pre-orders for OOTP12 came out, I jumped on it.

My memories from a year ago were bug after bug, complaint after complaint, and many promises to get them fixed in future patches. Granted, many were. Several were not. In some cases, people were even told they were wrong (injury rate of OFs is still higher than any other position).

I do feel that while Markus put out a great product, he really began stretching himself too thin with the iOOTP market. He then became unable to devote 100% attention to OOTP12.

I also remember the arguments started stating, "Well, he has a life," and the other side of the coin stating, "True, but you shouldn't bite off what you can't swallow."

The end result was that the final patch of OOTP12 still did not tie up all of the loose ends, and here it is, almost a year later, and things that were promised in OOTP12 still do not exist.

Therefore, I believe there is about a 10%-15% chance I will purchase OOTP13. There is 0% chance I will pre-order.
Critical Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
Hall of Fame

Thanked 174x in 75 posts
Everyone has a right to an opinion, but I am also being honest when I say the 40 bucks I spend on OOTP each year is probably the best 40 bucks spent all year - even with its flaws. I sometimes thing the flaws end up being the only thing talked about when there is a ton of good stuff in this game that certainly overpowers the bad. As long as Markus & Co. keep releasing this game, I will continue to buy it - up front and without question - because it's just that much fun. $40 a year breaks down to 11 cents a day and I'm absolutely positive the only thing cheaper that's more fun is sex
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
6 thanks for this post:
95Marinerschangedmylife (02-24-2012), Athletics17 (02-24-2012), CONN CHRIS (02-25-2012), kingcharlesxii (02-25-2012), Mntwins (02-25-2012), Sweed (02-25-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 25x in 21 posts
The sad truth of it all was 11 was probably the best ootp release. If 11 was the only ootp you played and then you rolled into 12, that probably put a bad taste in your mouth. I was really pissed at 12 when it was first released and then a little bit after that. Now I play it all the time with no big problems. I think it might have gotten a worse rap being released after its stellar big brother. I really believe 13 is going to be pretty good. I think if 13 is disappointing, then my theory will be invalid. I have high hopes. Just my two cents.
95Marinerschangedmylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #31 (permalink)
Major Leagues

Thanked 27x in 17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
everyone has a right to an opinion, but i am also being honest when i say the 40 bucks i spend on ootp each year is probably the best 40 bucks spent all year - even with its flaws. I sometimes thing the flaws end up being the only thing talked about when there is a ton of good stuff in this game that certainly overpowers the bad. As long as markus & co. Keep releasing this game, i will continue to buy it - up front and without question - because it's just that much fun. $40 a year breaks down to 11 cents a day and i'm absolutely positive the only thing cheaper that's more fun is sex
+1
Mntwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #32 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 17x in 12 posts
For the record, I play in 2 online leagues. One is on it's 8th season, the other is at 20something seasons. There isn't a lot of enthusiam in either league for changing to 13- and certainly no interest in early adopting.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #33 (permalink)
Developer OOTP

Thanked 13,352x in 2,309 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneCarson View Post
Still haven't played OOTP12 because I cannot get my financials to ever come out right.
So, what exactly is the problem? My test leagues always work fine... and that was the case prior to the OOTP 12 release too. Granted, the default MLB hat a couple of issues with contract demands, but these were fixed as fast as we could.

In my opinion OOTP 12 was one of the most flawless releases we ever had.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 03-01-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Mass View Post
The end result was that the final patch of OOTP12 still did not tie up all of the loose ends, and here it is, almost a year later, and things that were promised in OOTP12 still do not exist.
That is simply not true. Everything that was 'promised' made it in.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:10 AM   #35 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 627x in 440 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
That is simply not true. Everything that was 'promised' made it in.
The "Regional Leagues" functionality of the world_default file never made it in, and IIRC that was slated as being added in an update of OOTP 12.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #36 (permalink)
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
The "Regional Leagues" functionality of the world_default file never made it in, and IIRC that was slated as being added in an update of OOTP 12.
It was not "promised" though, I tried to make it happen, but time was too short.
Cryomaniac (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #37 (permalink)
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
I had an issue with a 20 year fictional league that I was running and financials. I set 14 million as the highest end salary for superstars in the game setup (reduced from 16 million in OOTP11), but as soon as I upgraded to OOTP12, 3 guys on my team were asking for 25+ million a season to do contract extensions. I've always seen weird contract requests in free agency because I assume desperate teams do desperate things, but previous to this my highest paid guy had only made 16 million dollars. I only ended up going through 1 season in OOTP12 because of this, usually I'll play 3-4 seasons a year (I play out quite a few games).
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #38 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 627x in 440 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
It was not "promised" though, I tried to make it happen, but time was too short.
Fair enough. IIRC that feature is now planned for OOTP 14 rather than 13?

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #39 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 382x in 260 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I had an issue with a 20 year fictional league that I was running and financial. I set 14 million as the highest end salary for superstars in the game setup (reduced from 16 million in OOTP11), but as soon as I upgraded to OOTP12, 3 guys on my team were asking for 25+ million a season to do contract extensions. I've always seen weird contract requests in free agency because I assume desperate teams do desperate things, but previous to this my highest paid guy had only made 16 million dollars. I only ended up going through 1 season in OOTP12 because of this, usually I'll play 3-4 seasons a year (I play out quite a few games).
so the only change you made to the facials was decrease highest salary from 16 to 14? No changing any other revenue's or changing how the media contracts are? was there a check to make sure nothing was changed during the import cause or did you import say during the season rather then the off-season?

The way i read this is you upgrade and boom 3+ guys are asking for 25mill when you don't say if they ever asked for in 11. Also the problem was guys were now asking for more money then you wanted but that never happened before, no one has ever asked for over the highest salary in the 20 years? If another team has the money to spend on your 3+ players shouldn't they then ask for more from you since they know they can get it in FA, maybe it was actually improved in 12 and the old way was broken.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 302x in 192 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I had an issue with a 20 year fictional league that I was running and financials. I set 14 million as the highest end salary for superstars in the game setup (reduced from 16 million in OOTP11), but as soon as I upgraded to OOTP12, 3 guys on my team were asking for 25+ million a season to do contract extensions. I've always seen weird contract requests in free agency because I assume desperate teams do desperate things, but previous to this my highest paid guy had only made 16 million dollars. I only ended up going through 1 season in OOTP12 because of this, usually I'll play 3-4 seasons a year (I play out quite a few games).
That is tough to get right sometimes. It means there is to much money floating around in your league so the players salaries are inflated. I've finally got mine to where I want it but it took numerous test leagues to make it where salaries were where I wanted them and most teams where staying out of the red.

I do play with a salary cap though so that does make things harder to get just right.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html

Last edited by oman19; 03-01-2012 at 12:09 PM.
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote