Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #4 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Released - Buy Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)
 
Dutch Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 214
Thanks: 50
Thanked 91x in 37 posts
Some minor flaws and suggestions.

There is a minor flaw that annoys me a bit sometimes and would like to see fixed. This concerns your opponents projected starting pitchers. See below. In your team's homepage you can see in the bottom left corner your upcoming schedule with your opponents projected starters for the next 7 days. This list is useless however. If we look at the table on the left we see that my team will be playing Arizona next and will face Joe Saunders, followed by Ian Kennedy and then Daniel Hudson. If we go to Arizona's homepage we can see their starting rotation (centre table). Here we see that Joe Saunders will indeed be the next starter. He's listed as their no. 5 guy. Kennedy is listed as no.1 and Hudson as no.2.

What the AI does I think is it always lists the 5 starting pitchers in the order in VALUES them. So here the AI thinks Kennedy is their best starter, followed by Hudson, Collmenter, Cahill and finally Saunders. In your team's homepage the next starting pitcher your team faces will always be correct. The next starters listed are however simply put there acording the rotation order, whitout regard for availability. So if the next guy you face is no.5, it will always list no.1 and then no.2 next, since they naturally follow no.5 'rotation-wise'. This starting rotation, since it is always arranged by how the AI values them, has no bearing on how the starters actually ROTATE. If we look at the right table, we see Ian Kennedy's status. Here we see he pitched 'yesterday', so clearly he will not pitch 'tomorrow'.
In it's current form this 'SP projection schedule' is useless. I think it should be possible to arrange this projection based on 'rest status', then it would actually be useful.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Dutch Alexander; 02-10-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
Dutch Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Craig Scarborough (02-12-2013), Cryomaniac (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)
 
Dutch Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 214
Thanks: 50
Thanked 91x in 37 posts
Here's a small bug I encountered some time ago, see below. This happened when I tried to make a double switch, inserting Kyle McClellan as the new pitcher, replacing the no.1 hitter in the line up. This happened when the battery of my mouse was almost empty and the movement of the mouse-arrow became very 'choppy'. As I 'dragged' McClellan along to the left to insert him into the no. 1 slot, mouse arrow became 'stuck' halfway for a moment and then after a moment re-appeared at the extreme left of my screen where I released the mouse-button. At this moment the game asked me: 'Do you wish to replace 'such-and-such' with McClennan in the line-up?' (or someting similar, can't recall the exact phrase). To which I replied: 'Yes'.
Next, the game asked me:'Do you wish to insert McClellan as the new pitcher?' To which I replied: 'Yes'. At this moment McClellan apperared twice in the line-up (I always bat my pitchers 8th) and there was no way I could change this anymore. I could not replace McClellan with a position player in the 8th spot, the only way I could continue the game was with McClellan twice in the line up. So the next half inning McClellan pitched and played shortstop at the same time! Not a major bug, but thought I'd mention it.
Attached Images
 
Dutch Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)
 
Dutch Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 214
Thanks: 50
Thanked 91x in 37 posts
Another minor nuisance of mine concerns double-switches. When making one you have to be very careful when replacing a pitcher with a position player. When doing so, you must first change the pitchers postion from 'P' to '-'. If you do not do this, then the position player will appear in your teams 'Basic Pitching Stats Report', credited with an apearance and nothing else. Not a major issue, but just something that annoys me. I always make this mistake a few times per season and it stains my teams 'Basic Pitching Stats Report'. (You might say: 'Then don't make that mistake, you dummy!' But that's easier said than done)
Attached Images
 
Dutch Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
7 thanks for this post:
BoofBonser26 (02-22-2013), Craig Scarborough (02-12-2013), Cryomaniac (02-10-2013), Honorable_Pawn (02-10-2013), Izz (02-10-2013), MrDov (02-11-2013), thehef (02-12-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)
 
Dutch Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 214
Thanks: 50
Thanked 91x in 37 posts
Some other things I would like to see changed:
  1. When playing out your games, your players will ONLY try to steal when you SPECIFICALLY order them to do so. I don't think this is realistic. IRL players have a certain freedom to steal. If a player like Mike Trout sees something and thinks he can swipe a bag, he will do so. He will not wait for a direct ORDER from his manager. His manager will have given him a certain freedom to steal at will, depending on the game situation. I think this could be better simulated in the game. It should be possible to control this in your team and player strategy page. As it is, when playing out your games these strategies are 'dormant'. That should not be the case. It should still be possible to overide these stragegies 'in-game' off course as a manager
  2. Same thing applies to pick-off moves by your pitchers. This should not ONLY happen when SPECIFICALLY ordered to do so.
  3. This also applies to pitch-outs. Pitchers/catchers should have a certain freedom in calling them themselves, according to team/player strategy.

Last edited by Dutch Alexander; 02-10-2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: typo
Dutch Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Craig Scarborough (02-12-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,567
Thanks: 55
Thanked 449x in 322 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alexander View Post
Some other things I would like to see changed:
  1. When playing out your games, your players will ONLY try to steal when you SPECIFICALLY order them to do so. I don't think this is realistic. IRL players have a certain freedom to steal. If a player like Mike Trout sees something and thinks he can swipe a bag, he will do so. He will not wait for a direct ORDER from his manager. His manager will have given him a certain freedom to steal at will, depending on the game situation. I think this could be better simulated in the game. It should be possible to control this in your team and player strategy page. As it is, when playing out your games these strategies are 'dormant'. That should not be the case. It should still be possible to overide these stragegies 'in-game' off course as a manager
  2. Same thing applies to pick-off moves by your pitchers. This should not ONLY happen when SPECIFICALLY ordered to do so.
  3. This also applies to pitch-outs. Pitchers/catchers should have a certain freedom in calling them themselves, according to team/player strategy.
I think you're generally correct about players having a certain leeway in these things in reality, but one must keep in mind that this is a game, and as such as much as possible should be kept in the control of the player. Can you imagine the outcry if the AI decided to send a runner when the player did not want to do so, and the runner got out ending a rally?
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Honorable_Pawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 3,920
Thanks: 2,479
Thanked 1,885x in 1,178 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I know it's not really what you are talking about but I got completely fed up with the wireless mouse. I am back to a cord and much much happier.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Global Moderator
 
ctorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 9,758
Thanks: 61
Thanked 125x in 66 posts
I've long taken issue with how running is handled in OOTP. I would actually like to see it more like how it worked in good old Earl Weaver Baseball, where you could set baserunning and batting options separately for each play.

In other words, say you have runners on first and second. You could tell the guy on second to run no matter what, the guy on first to run if he gets a good lead, and the batter to swing away/take/swing away depending on what you want him to do. You could also tell certain players (guys with good baserunning and speed skills) to run whenever they want. The various combinations would make for much greater flexibility for managers and would greatly enhance game strategy.
__________________
My music

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)
 
Dutch Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 214
Thanks: 50
Thanked 91x in 37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
I think you're generally correct about players having a certain leeway in these things in reality, but one must keep in mind that this is a game, and as such as much as possible should be kept in the control of the player. Can you imagine the outcry if the AI decided to send a runner when the player did not want to do so, and the runner got out ending a rally?
Yes ideed, but what I'm suggesting is that you can hand out this leeway in the player strategy section. Here you would only give that leeway to good baserunners. Furthermore in the team strategy section you can then select game situations in which you give this leeway and when not. Team strategy would then overide player strategy. Above that in-game you should then still have the option to tell your runners to run or to hold overiding any player or team strategy. I guess IRL you can also find examples of bonehead running mistakes which enrages the manager.

This is indeed a game and above may be difficult to implement. It's not a deal breaker but I would love to see it and it would also enhance realism.
Dutch Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)
 
Dutch Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 214
Thanks: 50
Thanked 91x in 37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorg View Post
In other words, say you have runners on first and second. You could tell the guy on second to run no matter what, the guy on first to run if he gets a good lead, and the batter to swing away/take/swing away depending on what you want him to do. You could also tell certain players (guys with good baserunning and speed skills) to run whenever they want. The various combinations would make for much greater flexibility for managers and would greatly enhance game strategy.
Yes, the way running is handled in this game is still rather basic. There is certainly room for improvement here.
Dutch Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
RchW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scarberia-land of bungalows and strip malls
Posts: 8,891
Thanks: 1,878
Thanked 2,218x in 1,368 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
I think you're generally correct about players having a certain leeway in these things in reality, but one must keep in mind that this is a game, and as such as much as possible should be kept in the control of the player. Can you imagine the outcry if the AI decided to send a runner when the player did not want to do so, and the runner got out ending a rally?
I was going to say the same thing. Even now a runner can get thrown out going 1st to 3rd or 1st/2nd to home without my input and I find myself irritated as a real manager might be. I like to be in charge of all aspects including running. Otherwise I might as well sim.

The human player does have an option to unleash the running game. See below.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Cheers

RichW
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)
 
Dutch Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 214
Thanks: 50
Thanked 91x in 37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
The human player does have an option to unleash the running game. See below.
Yes, that's right. I actually use this option always when I play my games. Personally I do not like how the game handles this otherwise. Also IRL the 1st and 3rd base coaches handle this, not the manager. Personally I prefer the computer to handle this.

What this option DOES NOT DO however, is let the computer decide when to steal. Even with this option selected, players will only try to steal when you specifically tell them to.
Dutch Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
RchW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scarberia-land of bungalows and strip malls
Posts: 8,891
Thanks: 1,878
Thanked 2,218x in 1,368 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alexander View Post
Yes, that's right. I actually use this option always when I play my games. Personally I do not like how the game handles this otherwise. Also IRL the 1st and 3rd base coaches handle this, not the manager. Personally I prefer the computer to handle this.
Except that the AI handles the above randomly ie sometimes it asks and sometimes not when it's set to human control. So I'm not sure what the settings mean anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alexander View Post
What this option DOES NOT DO however, is let the computer decide when to steal. Even with this option selected, players will only try to steal when you specifically tell them to.
Was not aware of this. It appears baserunning doesn't include stealing.
__________________
Cheers

RichW

Last edited by RchW; 02-10-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
RchW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scarberia-land of bungalows and strip malls
Posts: 8,891
Thanks: 1,878
Thanked 2,218x in 1,368 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alexander View Post
[*]Same thing applies to pick-off moves by your pitchers. This should not ONLY happen when SPECIFICALLY ordered to do so.
[/LIST]
I missed this earlier. This does happen when playing out games. I lost a playoff (possibly a WS game) where the pitcher threw wildly on a pick-off and the runner went to third and later scored. I was seriously steamed.

I may be able to find the box score.
__________________
Cheers

RichW
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Honorable_Pawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 3,920
Thanks: 2,479
Thanked 1,885x in 1,178 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Except that the AI handle the above randomly ie sometimes it asks and sometimes not when it's set to human control. So I'm not sure what the settings mean anymore.



Was not aware of this. It appears baserunning doesn't include stealing.
Yep. All it does it get rid of that question about taking an extra base and challenging an outfielder's arm.

I check it because I have no clue (well, a very vague idea) where the ball is. Not too mention the player or base coach makes that decision not the dug-out manager.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
Bluenoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 7,970
Thanks: 353
Thanked 1,660x in 1,013 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alexander View Post
Yes, that's right. I actually use this option always when I play my games. Personally I do not like how the game handles this otherwise. Also IRL the 1st and 3rd base coaches handle this, not the manager. Personally I prefer the computer to handle this.

What this option DOES NOT DO however, is let the computer decide when to steal. Even with this option selected, players will only try to steal when you specifically tell them to.

Sometimes the base coaches handle it, sometimes the manager does. Especially in close games, late innings. The manager will send the signal from the dugout to the base coach, who in return relays it to the base runner/batter. So it's not always the coaches.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
RchW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scarberia-land of bungalows and strip malls
Posts: 8,891
Thanks: 1,878
Thanked 2,218x in 1,368 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Yep. All it does it get rid of that question about taking an extra base and challenging an outfielder's arm.

I check it because I have no clue (well, a very vague idea) where the ball is. Not too mention the player or base coach makes that decision not the dug-out manager.
No, not IME. I control all areas when playing out games and there are instances where I am asked and not asked about baserunner advances. I don't really mind but it is curious why it is not definitive. It's annoying when a runner gets thrown out on plays where I don't get to choose.

Same thing with pickoffs. Great when they work. Not so much when they lead to runs.
__________________
Cheers

RichW
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
The Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Inside The Game
Posts: 7,552
Thanks: 4,771
Thanked 1,411x in 1,161 posts
Do you guys feel you have more or less success letting the AI handle base running/stealing vs you doing it? I let the AI handle my defensive positioning, since i never seem to get it right. I have never let tne AI handle stealing but although I tend to lead the league in SB, I also always lead the league in CS.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)
 
Dutch Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 214
Thanks: 50
Thanked 91x in 37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Sometimes the base coaches handle it, sometimes the manager does. Especially in close games, late innings. The manager will send the signal from the dugout to the base coach, who in return relays it to the base runner/batter. So it's not always the coaches.
Yes, I meant here the base coaches normally handle taking an extra base. The manager is not in a position to do so. Normally the manager of course handles base stealing, often relaying signals through the coaches.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Do you guys feel you have more or less success letting the AI handle base running/stealing vs you doing it? I let the AI handle my defensive positioning, since i never seem to get it right. I have never let tne AI handle stealing but although I tend to lead the league in SB, I also always lead the league in CS.

You CANNOT let the AI handle stealing. That's one of the things I would like to see changed.
I also let the computer take care of the defensive positioning, only stepping in myself occasionally. Defensive positioning is another thing that could be improved, it is for example not possible to put on a shift or bring an outfielder to the infield. But I guess it would be quite difficult to program the game to allow for such alignments.

Last edited by Dutch Alexander; 02-10-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: typo
Dutch Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
The Game (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)
 
Dutch Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 214
Thanks: 50
Thanked 91x in 37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I missed this earlier. This does happen when playing out games. I lost a playoff (possibly a WS game) where the pitcher threw wildly on a pick-off and the runner went to third and later scored. I was seriously steamed.

I may be able to find the box score.

I have never seen this myself. I have seen the catcher throw away pick-offs, but not the pitcher. As far as I can tell the pitcher only throws to first when I SPECIFICALLY tell him to do so.
Dutch Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer
 
The Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Inside The Game
Posts: 7,552
Thanks: 4,771
Thanked 1,411x in 1,161 posts
What's the point of letting the AI handle base running if they can't handle stealing then? I didn't know they didn't handle stealing since I have never used that before.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2013 Out of the Park Developments