Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #5 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Released - Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Ghost Players

In reading the threads I wanted to gradually progress a league. I started with ML-AAA-AA-R and ghost players on. Initial draft was 80 players so that I could add history as I learned the game and as I grew players. It is a fictional league so looking to have the league grow as it will. ML-AAA-AA rosters are set at 25 limit and R is unlimited. Drafting 10 players a year, hoping to add Hi-A in say 3-5 seasons. It was my understanding that ghost players would fill the roster spots to 25 of Rookie and then Hi-A as needed, however... I have Jim Unknown pinch hitting when I have 5 guys on the bench waiting to pinch hit or closing out a game (blowing it) when I have a developing non-tired closer for team with a 25 man roster. Am I missing something why the ghosts are playing instead of 1 of the 25 guys on the roster?
Sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,449x in 1,187 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
In reading the threads I wanted to gradually progress a league. I started with ML-AAA-AA-R and ghost players on. Initial draft was 80 players so that I could add history as I learned the game and as I grew players. It is a fictional league so looking to have the league grow as it will. ML-AAA-AA rosters are set at 25 limit and R is unlimited. Drafting 10 players a year, hoping to add Hi-A in say 3-5 seasons. It was my understanding that ghost players would fill the roster spots to 25 of Rookie and then Hi-A as needed, however... I have Jim Unknown pinch hitting when I have 5 guys on the bench waiting to pinch hit or closing out a game (blowing it) when I have a developing non-tired closer for team with a 25 man roster. Am I missing something why the ghosts are playing instead of 1 of the 25 guys on the roster?
I despise using Ghost Players and I feel it has always been messed up. Sometimes Listing all players in that league High A or Rookie and deleting all Jim unknowns will sometimes clear up the problem. 1st chance that you have to have a full roster of real players ( meaning FA and players in your organization) turn off ghost players. Of Course then you have to go level by level and delete all the Jim's.
Sharpie (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,029x in 536 posts
The AI is not going to use your real players over ghost players simply because they're real. I don't think the AI knows the difference between the two, so it will sometimes rotate players or make managerial decisions that might seem odd or frustrating, but it's doing what it's designed to do. In fact, the AI may be using some of the ghost players because their ratings or age means to the AI that they might be able to progress and develop. It does the same things in games with all real players, so I would imagine that it does this with ghost players as well. The AI is imperfect, even when you're using all 'real' players.

But if you're running a fictional league, why are you using ghost players anyway? All your leagues can be filled with fictional players as needed.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Sharpie (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Micromanage

I've seen a number of people say that they micromanage their teams...

So you use the 7 day lineup?

Do you track in an excel?

Do you set pitch counts?

Do you manage your ML and MiLB games?

any tidbits would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,691x in 1,031 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
The AI is not going to use your real players over ghost players simply because they're real. I don't think the AI knows the difference between the two, so it will sometimes rotate players or make managerial decisions that might seem odd or frustrating, but it's doing what it's designed to do. In fact, the AI may be using some of the ghost players because their ratings or age means to the AI that they might be able to progress and develop. It does the same things in games with all real players, so I would imagine that it does this with ghost players as well. The AI is imperfect, even when you're using all 'real' players.

But if you're running a fictional league, why are you using ghost players anyway? All your leagues can be filled with fictional players as needed.
I'm not sure this is correct. My understanding from Markus was that ghost players "only" get used when you don't have any players that can fill the position.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,449x in 1,187 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
I've seen a number of people say that they micromanage their teams...

So you use the 7 day lineup?

Do you track in an excel?

Do you set pitch counts?

Do you manage your ML and MiLB games?

any tidbits would be appreciated.

Thanks
I play out my games in most leagues so i do not use 7 day lineups. I use them on occasion for leagues I sim but slow play.
No
For pitchers coming back from injuries and on occasion a young player in his 1st full season in the ML
Just ML
Can't think of anything right now.
Sharpie (07-22-2013)