Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #4 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Released - Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
Date: July 6th, 2013
To: Maddie Wood (madaboutbrandon@ gmail.com
Subject: This sucks

Hey Maddie,

So I tried calling you earlier but I think your phone was off or something. Whatevs, it's alright.
I'm just really frustrated about yesterday's game. I walk Adrian Gonzalez, and he comes around to score on a couple dinky outs. I walk Ellsbury and suddenly Wladimir Balentian is friggin Babe Ruth, blasting a home run (I left the pitch up but I'd like to pretend it's not my fault, you know?) I walk Youk and he ends up scoring. I'm just walking way too many people, and it's not like I can blame anything but myself for it. I just need to throw strikes. I've walked two batters at least in my last five starts, usually three or more (even five once) and it sucks.

My pitching coach keeps telling me I'm doing fine apart from that, but that I need to work on keeping the ball down.
And another thing- apparently my BABIP- batting average per balls in play- is .354, which is ridiculous. Hopefully I'll start getting luckier soon (the average is around .3 or so).

Anyway, want to head out tonight? I need to relax, and I hear there's a great movie in theaters now- Superman VI. It's got a lot of CGI and a massive budget, so what could go wrong? There's one at 8 PM (Our game is at 1, so it should definitely be done by then!)

Call me if you get the chance, it's much better that way. We can talk more then.

Byee XO
Johnny
Petepont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #42 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 37x in 37 posts
Has Brandon Wood been sent down yet? Otherwise you and Maddy watching some crappy CGI movie could go wrong. Nice to see that John is still progressing nicely and pitching well, despite some crappy luck.
Petepont (09-14-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
Angels at Rays, July 17, 2013

John felt good. Really good. His arm hadn't felt like this since the beginning of the season.
"Yo, Brandon- I'm gonna dominate today... and I'm not talking about your sister today either..." he called from his locker, ducking as a bar of soap flew towards him.
"Not cool man," Brandon yelled with a laugh, as he grabbed his soap. "She told me she's gonna dump you unless you get a shutout today..."
"Let's hope I do... She's pretty awesome!" He winked.
This time the soap him.

Fast-forward two hours. It's 7:21, and John is about to start pitching to the Rays.

Alright John, you got this. You're at Tampa, there's like no one here- the crowd won't get to you. The team needs a good start. You need a good start. Come on John, you got this.

He smiled to himself. Something felt right.

A fastball strike to John Shelby. A curveball strike. A changeup low. Good. Now he was ready.

John reared back and fired. The fastball blew through Shelby's swing. What a way to start.

The first three batters struck out. So did six of the first nine. No runners reached until there were two outs in the fourth, a bloop single to left.

In the fifth, John struck out the first two batters. The third tripled to left. John just smiled. Three fastballs later, the last of which was clocked at 99, and J.J. Hardy was heading back to the dugout. Three swings, three misses.

The eighth inning rolled around. John had pitched seven innings, allowing two hits, and striking out ten. But he wasn't done.

The first batter flew out to left. The second singled. Then John did it again, striking out Hector Gueverra for his eleventh strikeout. Three more fastballs, and a change-up to finish Hector.

The crowd, which had long since given up on the Rays winnings (the score was 7-0 at this point) began to cheer. They realized they were watching a dominant performance.

Drew Vettleson, pinch hitting for Russ Canzler, grounded out to John.
Three outs to go.

The ninth started out with a strikeout. Shelby fouled off three fastballs before flailing at a curveball. John had just passed 100 pitches.

Sawyer Carrol grounded out on the first pitch. One to go.

Evan Longoria was up next. He worked the count full, before blasting a single to center, the first well hit ball of the night.

Up now was Jason Kubel.

A curve, fouled off.
A fastball, taken for a ball.
A change, also a ball.
A fastball blown by Kubel. Strike looking.
Change fouled back.
A curve taken for a ball in the dirt.
The three two pitch... A fastball, 98 miles per hour, blown right down the pipe, and past Kubel.

His first shutout. His first career complete game. He just smiled. He had known.

Later that night, he spoke to the media.

How did it feel? "Great... haha... I don't know what to say... I just felt in control the entire time."
Any plans to celebrate? "I mean, what can I do? Not much haha... I'll call my family, rub it in my brother's face, all that fun stuff.
Favorite moment? "That first strikeout. I knew I was hot then."

In his previous start, John allowed one earned run, a solo home run, but his defense committed four errors, saddling John with a 4-1 loss.
With this win, John's ERA drops to 3.88, and his record is now 9-8. He has 172 strikeouts, comfortably in first in the AL.

Hopefully, this will give the Angels the boost they need to make the playoffs. They are currently six games back of the Tigers for the Wild Card, at 46-49.

Unfortunately, MadBum, he hasn't, but he seems to be doing fine with the relationship thing. I'm sure it's awkward though, and I know John enjoys teasing him about it. Who wouldn't?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #44 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
A month and a half after throwing his first shutout, John continued to roll. The Angels had won his last sevens starts before a 3-2 loss to Tampa, and his record has improved to 13-9, while his ERA has dropped from 4.31 at the start of July to 3.58 at the end of August. He leads the league in IP, K, K/9, and comes in third in K/BB.

However, not all has gone well. The Angels have fallen 9 games behind the Blue Jays in the Wild Card Race, and are 23 behind the AL West leader Texas. Somehow the Angels are still in second in their division, but they currently have a nearly 0% shot at making the playoffs.

On September 1st, against the New York Yankees, John threw perhaps the second best game of his life. He shut down the Yankees for 8 innings, allowing only four hits and one walk, with no runs. He struck out 11 With 99 pitches, he probably could have continued for the shutout, but Bobby Seay came in to record the save and give the Angels a little bit of hope. All they can hope for now is a collapse on par with 2007 Mets or the (Real life, happening now...) 2011 Red Sox. With 24 games to play, they need a miracle.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #45 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
A Look Ahead: Award Candidates (Friday September 13th, 2013)

The season is drawing to a close, and the races are heating up. While the Rangers, Rockies, and Braves have effectively clinched their divisions, the Wild Card and other division races look to have exciting finishes.

But now, it's time to take a look at a different set of races: The Award Races. Without further ado, here are my predictions- Top 2 in every field, unless there is a third, equally deserving candidate. (AL today, NL tomorrow)

AL MVP:
1) Mike Moustakas, Kansas City Royals (.335/.373/.605, 41 HR, 141 RBI): Moustakas gets the edge over Baltimore catcher Matt Wieters because his team is currently in the playoff race. Moustakas is first in the league in hits, RBI, and total bases, and is top five in average (2nd), slugging percentage (3rd), OPS (3rd), home runs (t-2nd), extra-base hits (5th), Isolated Power (3rd), wOBA (2nd), and WAR (2nd). He has also been a huge part of a Royal rejuvenation, helping the Royals go from fourth to first in the AL Central.
2) Matt Wieters, Baltimore Orioles (.353/.434/.628, 34, 101):
Both Wieters and Moustakas have been a cut above the rest for the entire season, but Baltimore is all but eliminated from the playoffs. I just can't see a player winning the award on a team with a losing record unless he dominates the competition, which Wieters hasn't. He's been good, even slightly better than Moustakas according to the SABR group, but his team is out of contention. Still, it will interesting to see who wins this award.
Honorable Mentions: Elvin Andrus, TEX; Blake Smith, OAK; Daric Barton, OAK.

AL Cy Young:
1) Rich Harden, Texas Rangers (17-3, 2.90, 234 K):
Rich Harden has been the best pitcher in the AL the entire season, leading the league in ERA by 30 points, tied for the league lead in wins, and second in strikeouts. He is second in K/9, with 10.72, best in WHIP and Opponent's Batting Average. However, Sabermetrics tell a different story...
2) John Anderson, Los Angeles Angels (16-9, 3.47, 271 K):
Two years and three months ago, John Anderson was graduating from high school. He turned 20 three days ago, and didn't make a major league appearance until this season. And yet, according to SABR, he has been the best pitcher in the American League, at least over the second half of the season. He leads the league in K's, Innings Pitched, K/9, WAR, FIP, and K/BB. In July, August, and September, John has posted an 8-3 record, with 127 strikeouts, a .990 WHIP, and a 2.57 ERA. The race should be interesting, given that Harden's stats have been inflated by a ridiculously low .273 BABIP, while Anderson's is .334.
Honorable Mentions: Justin Verlander, DET; Jon Lester, BOS

AL Rookie of the Year
1) John Anderson, Los Angeles Angels (16-9, 3.47, 271 K):
He has been far and away the best rookie pitcher (maybe the best overall pitchers) in the AL, and only one other rookie in the AL compares to him. See above for my analysis of Anderson, who I think should win.
2) Blake Smith, Oakland Athletics, (.307/.363/.625, 43 HR, 115 RBI)
What Anderson has been to rookie pitchers, so Blake Smith has been to rookie hitters. He leads AL Rookies in nearly every stat, except stolen bases and walks. His stats make him a dark horse MVP candidate. Regardless of whether Anderson or Smith wins (you could flip a coin, there is not much of a difference), both have long careers ahead of them. Something which only I might find interesting is that Smith is 0-2 off Anderson, with a strikeout. Who knows. This will get very interesting over the final few days of the season.
Honorable Mentions: None.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #46 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
Pitcher of the Month

John Anderson has made fans throughout Major League Baseball take notice over the past month with an exceptional 5-0 record. No pitcher in the American League threw better in September, garnering him the Pitcher of the Month award today.

In 6 starts Anderson compiled a 3.20 ERA, putting up a 5-0 record, striking out 53 and tossing 45 innings.

This year Anderson has worked 243.1 innings with 296 strikeouts en route to a 18-9 record and 3.51 ERA.

---------------------

In his final start of the year, John shut down the Detroit Tigers for 8 innings, allowing three hits and no runs, striking out 13. The Angels would finish the season with an 81-87 record (remember, the season is now 168 games), which had them third in the AL West, 27 games out of first and 8 games behind in the Wild Card.

The postseason matchups are:

Detroit* (89-79) vs Texas (108-60)
Toronto (89-79) vs Kansas City (96-72)
Florida* (98-70) vs Colorado (111-57)
Chicago (95-73) vs Atlanta (103-65)

* denotes Wild Card

A postseason recap will follow shortly, along with a coach's opinion of John's season, with a full statistical report including some Sabermetrics which you probably know- FIP and ERA+, and some you might not- PDF and DICE.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #47 (permalink)
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 17x in 17 posts
Looking forward to seeing if John's teamates can live up to his lofty talent!

Great read!
Springbokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Petepont (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #48 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
Thanks for the comment! Let's hope that next year goes better for the Angels, since with an ace like Johnny topping the rotation, they could do well in the postseason. Of course, being stuck behind the Rangers could seriously damage their chances, since the Rangers have been incredibly good. There's always the Wild Card though.

Speaking of the Wild Card, it's time for the playoff updates, followed by a statistical assessment of Johnny's season.

The Rangers swept Detroit in the first round of the playoffs, blowing them out in the first two games, and winning the third with a four run rally in the top of the ninth.

They would face off against a Toronto team who went five games against Kansas City in a close series, where four games were decided by one run. Game five was marked by a game winning shot in the top of the ninth inning by rookie K.C Hobson, and a nail biter finish, as Kansas City loaded the bases but failed to score in the bottom half.

The Rangers then beat Toronto, winning four games to two. Texas won three of its game in extra innings, including a two walk off homers by Jason Castro in game one and Julio Borbon in game six.

In the NL, the wild card Florida Marlins beat the heavily favored 111 win Colorado Rockies in five games, in a series full of blowouts.

The Braves blew past the Cubs, extending the Cubs streak of futility, sweeping the series. However, they themselves would be swept by the Marlins.

The World Series is about to begin, and I'll report on that if anything exciting happens.

Meanwhile, see the next post for one Los Angeles sports writer's take on the AL Cy Young
Old 10-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #49 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
Why John Anderson Should Win the Cy Young and ROY

John Anderson should be the first rookie to win both the Cy Young Award and the Rookie of the Year Award since Fernando Valenzuela did it in 1981.

You look at me and say, "What? You're crazy! He wasn't that great!" But I say, he was.

Here are some stats, to help explain my argument. I'm comparing Anderson to Justin Verlander and Rich Harden, two others who have mostly dominated the discussion this year.

Name W L IP ERA K BB QS CG SHO WHIP
Anderson 19 9 251 1/3 3.402 308 63 20 2 1 1.198
Verlander 19 9 229 2/3 3.253 245 80 19 3 1 1.306
Harden 18 5 219 2/3 3.237 268 68 21 3 1 1.115

From these stats, it seems like a very close race. Anderson has the lead in K's, BB's, K/BB Ratio, IP, and is tied for first in wins with Verlander, who doesn't lead much else but is close in all categories. Harden leads WHIP, ERA, and has the most quality starts.

But there are other stats as well, which I think more accurately depict who the best pitcher has been this season: DICE, FIP, xFIP, and PDF.

For those of you who aren't familiar with these stats, they are sabermetrics. FIP stands for Fielding Independent Pitching. Basically, it only takes into account things which the pitcher can control, and turns that into an ERA. xFIP does the same, with a slight difference in the formula: it uses the League HR rate, instead of the pitcher's, as individual pitcher's rates have been seen to vary wildly. DICE stands for Defense-Independent Component ERA, and does the same job. Finally, PDF, invented by Curt Schilling, stands for Pitcher Dominance Factor, and attempt to describe how dominant a pitcher has been throughout the season.

With FIP, xFIP, and DICE, a lower score is better, while a better PDF is a higher score.

Here's how they compare:

Name FIP xFIP PDF DICE
Anderson 2.738 2.838 3.258 2.674
Verlander 2.804 3.061 2.429 2.874
Harden 3.068 3.074 4.164 2.982

As you can see, Anderson leads in three of the categories, only falling in PDF. However, PDF includes WHIP, which is dependent on how the fielders have performed. The Angels had the lowest Defensive Efficiency rating and the lowest Zone Rating in the American League. This clearly hurt Anderson.

In addition, Anderson leads all three in WAR and VORP, with a WAR of 8.3 (1.3 better than Verlander and Harden, who are tied with 7.0) and a VORP of 55.2 (.2 better than Verlander and .5 better than Harden) The VORP differences are miniscule, but Anderson leads WAR by a lot.

Say what you want, but looking only at things the pitcher can control, Anderson has been the best pitcher in the AL this season.

Last edited by Petepont; 10-13-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Apologies for the formatting- I spent a while trying to fix it but couldn't.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #50 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
Awards Announced/World Series

AL MVP: Mike Moustakas, Kansas City Royals
NL MVP: Jason Heyward, Atlanta Braves
AL Cy Young: Rich Harden, Texas Rangers
NL Cy Young: Tim Lincecum, San Francisco Giants
AL ROY: John Anderson (!), Los Angeles Angels
NL ROY: Kevin Mattison, Florida Marlins

The World Series was won by the Florida Marlins in 5 games, defeating the heavily favored Texas Rangers easily. The decisive fifth game featured a 15 run outburst by the Marlins, and a combined two hitter by Josh Johnson and two relievers.

-------------------
Date: November 5th, 2013
To: Maddie Wood (madaboutbrandon@ gmail.com
Subject: Damn Straight.

I WONNNNNNN!!!!!

Sorry, that was a bit excited. But dam straight. I'm the Rookie of the Year, and I am going to enjoy it. Best rookie of this year in the AL. Blake Smith chased me, and apparently it was pretty close. I got three more first place votes than him, but he almost had as many points as I did. It was close... Still, we're both pretty awesome.

Anywho, I'm looking to celebrate tonight. What are you up to?

Johnny the ROY
Old 10-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #51 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
Breaking News: Arturo Moreno Dies, Replaced by Son

Los Angeles Angels owner Arturo Moreno, the first Hispanic MLB owner, died yesterday after battling cancer for several months. He was 66, and is survived by his wife Carol and three children.

Moreno took over control of the Angels in 2003, buying the team from The Walt Disney Company for $180 million.

Those who knew him described him as devoted to his family and a caring generous person.

Moreno kept private about his personal life, refusing most interviews and preferring to run the team outside of the limelight.

The Angels won the AL West five of Moreno's first six years, but in recent times have failed to make the playoffs.

The team released this statement on Moreno's death: "We are greatly saddened to hear of Mr. Moreno's passing. His leadership was vital to the team's success in past years."

His son, Arte Moreno Jr., will take over the team. He has made it clear that he demands success, and has indicated that he plans to pump money into the team until this success is realized.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #52 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
Pre-Offseason Report: Los Angeles Angels
Date: October 27th, 2013. Report Complied by Ric Wilson

Major Losses
MR Jon Garland (8-8, 4.43 ERA)
2B Brian Roberts (.305/.389/.407, 14 HR, 73 RBI)
SP Dan Haren (9-18, 4.23 ERA)
MR Bobby Seay (8-7, 21 Saves, 2.72 ERA)

Areas of Improvement
Defense: Fielding ranked last in the league in every major category... Departure of Brian Roberts means we need a good fielding middle infielder to take his place. Possible Alternatives: SS Asdrubal Cabrera ($11,000,000 demand, 6.6 ZR, 1.027 EFF); 3B/SS Nate Samson ($900,000 demand, 9.3 ZR (minor leagues), 1.042 EFF (minor leagues)
Top Starter: Anderson has potential, showed that this year... Still, a second arm is needed at the top of the rotation...
Possible Targets: SP Matt Garza ($17,000,000 demand, 12-13, 3.30 ERA); SP Adam Wainwright ($18,000,000 demand, 6-3, 3.01 ERA- missed 4 months with partially torn labrum, not attracting expected interest); SP Josh Johnson ($17,000,000 demand, 17-7, 2.96 ERA)
Beef Up Line-Up: Every team needs more hitting, always... Loss of Roberts means loss of key contributor... 3B was weak spot past year... David Wright and Ryan Zimmerman available, still more of pipe dreams... Solid potential star in 3B Casey Haerther (.333/.351/.581 with 2 HR, 5 RBI in 36 AB during September)- bats and fields well...

Recommended Course of Action: Pursue all three SP, with a focus on Johnson/Wainwright- expect competition, are both top FAs. Pursue Wright, don't bank on it. Need to acquire Samson- also has good bat, could prove very useful in future.

--------------------

New Owner Arte Montero, Jr. Makes Priorities Clear With Massive Budget: Win Now

Twitter: @johnnyrocket: Bored at home now, so competition- guess my fav food, winner gets autographed ball #goodluck
Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #53 (permalink)
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 17x in 17 posts
Offseason

Ambitous offseason plans there, but good to see the pieces falling together to support the core (i.e. Johnny)!

Am I to understand that you're playing as GM of the Angels, yes? What's your payroll looking like for next season? You must have a nice chuck of free cash to go after $60-70m in FA!!!

Really enjoying the read. Twitter posts are a nice addition
Thank you for this post:
Petepont (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #54 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbokus View Post
Ambitous offseason plans there, but good to see the pieces falling together to support the core (i.e. Johnny)!

Am I to understand that you're playing as GM of the Angels, yes? What's your payroll looking like for next season? You must have a nice chuck of free cash to go after $60-70m in FA!!!

Really enjoying the read. Twitter posts are a nice addition

Well I'm not actually playing GM. I am technically in charge, but I set it so that all the decisions are up to the AI. I only set myself as GM so I could see their offseason plans, and also so that I automatically get all their stories. To reiterate- I can see who they've made offers to (which is where I came up with the idea for the last post), I get all the Angels stories in my inbox, and I also get to see private messages of the team, but I don't do anything. I just sit and watch.

Maybe in the future I'll be the GM of a team, possibly once John retires, but not until then.

Anyway, thanks a lot! About the payroll- they made a pretty interesting signing, which came out of the blue (I didn't read the offers for four days and suddenly they signed this player) which added quite a lot of money. If by some miracle they managed to sign all the players they've offered, their payroll will be at about 166 million dollars, only a 10 million dollar rise or so from last year.

Also, the new owner did increase the budget massively. He took over a few days before the off-season began, and the budget rose from approximately 155 million to 175 million. It was incredible when I got that message. I thought to myself, wow, this "guy" "wants" to win badly.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #55 (permalink)
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 17x in 17 posts
Yeah that's Yankee-esque!

Nice idea to keep an eye on things, but not meddling! Maybe you can take John into a GM/Prez spot once he retires ala Nolan Ryan (albeit 20 years younger!!).

Keep up the good work. I think I've written one these things a good 10 times that I'm keen to start one of these or some sort of dynasty, but still haven't got around to it!!

Will get there one day
Thank you for this post:
Petepont (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #56 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
A Slew of Signings

December 7th, 2013: When Chase Utley arrived in Los Angeles today to greet the media of his new home, nobody questioned the move despite his 34 years. Utley signed a $15,000,000-a-year deal that will run for 3 years.

He is generally seen as a veteran presence in the clubhouse and could act as a mentor for many of the younger Angels players.

Lifetime Utley is hitting .297 with 1375 hits, 283 doubles, 33 triples and 235 home runs. He has scored 875 runs and driven in 813.

This past year, Utley broke his kneecap in early May, and would end up missing the rest of the season. However, he was off to a promising start before the injury, hitting .277 with 9 home runs and 26 RBI in only 38 games for the Phillies.

In 2012, Utley hit .313 wit 29 HR and 88 RBI, in only 122 games, which placed him at the top of the second base rankings, trailing only Dustin Pedrioa and Robinson Cano. He is expected to fill the role of the departing Brian Roberts.
--------------------------------
December 8th, 2013: The Los Angeles Angels completed a deal with free agent starting pitcher Matt Garza, as they look to add depth to a pitching staff depleted by free agency. Garza has reportedly been signed for 6 guaranteed years with a total salary of $102,400,000, and a team option in 2020 for $19 million.

Garza posted a 12-13 record for the Chicago Cubs last year, although he did have a 3.30 ERA and 210 strikeouts in what was arguably his best year as a Cub.

The length of the deal came as a surprise to some, given that Garza turned 30 in late November, but the Angels front office made it clear that they expected him to continue to be able to perform throughout the length of the contract.

This signing follows yesterday's signing of Chase Utley by the Angels, who have made it clear that they expect to win now.

-----------------------------
December 13th, 2013: (Transactions Report) Los Angeles Angels sign SS/3B Nate Samson to $900,000 deal... Signed MR Cla Meredith to 2 year, $21,000,000 deal...
-----------------------------
December 24th, 2013: The Los Angeles Angels announced two deals today, which may wrap up their offseason signings. The team signed 29 year old SP Josh Johnson to a 4 year, $78,640,000 contract and 30 year old 3B Mark Reynolds to a 4 year, $44,300,000 contract.

Josh Johnson is coming off one of the best years of his career, in which he posted a 2.96 ERA with 17 wins for the Florida Marlins. The team hopes h will be the ace of a rotation which already includes reigning AL Rookie of the Year John Anderson (19-9, 3.40 ERA) and free agent signing Matt Garza (12-13, 3.30 ERA).

Mark Reynolds will add experience and a powerful bat to the Angels infield, which has been bolstered by several free agent signings, including 2B Chase Utley.

So far this offseason, the Angels, led by a new owner, have thrown nearly 300 million dollars into free agents, in an attempt to return to the playoffs after a four year hiatus.

-------------------------

John spent the offseason with his family in Boston and Maddie in Los Angeles.
When reached for comment about the free agent signings, he said, "It will be great to have pitchers like Josh [Johnson] and Matt [Garza] with me in the rotation. They're both experienced, and I hope to be able to learn from them."

As the offseason concluded, with a few more minor signings by the Angels (MR Joba Chamberlain, MR Grant Balfour) which beefed up the bullpen, Los Angeles began to feel something. This was the best Angels team since the 2002 World Series winning team, people thought. Maybe this is the year. But it was only a whisper. No one would say it aloud.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #57 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbokus View Post
Yeah that's Yankee-esque!

Nice idea to keep an eye on things, but not meddling! Maybe you can take John into a GM/Prez spot once he retires ala Nolan Ryan (albeit 20 years younger!!).

Keep up the good work. I think I've written one these things a good 10 times that I'm keen to start one of these or some sort of dynasty, but still haven't got around to it!!

Will get there one day
Well good luck when/if you decide to do one. But definitely don't force yourself to, because that doesn't work. You have to enjoy it, or else it feels like a chore. I'm enjoying every moment of this, but I don't rush it, because then I burn out.

Who knows, maybe he will become a coach or owner something like that. I'm definitely going to keep his options open down the road, and may even turn him into a coach. Who knows what will happen with his life? Not I (yet)
Old 10-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #58 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
April 1st, 2014- Halos Heaven

John had an average spring training, going 4-0, but with a 4.05 ERA. The Angels, meanwhile, rolled to a 15-9 record, giving fans everywhere hope that the team would be as good as promised in the season.

Is This the Year?

It's been 12 years since the Angels tasted a championship. Admittedly, that isn't long compared to the Cubbies or the Indians, but to fans, that means nothing. And with the teams the Angels have had, well... It's surprising that they haven't won, to say the least.

Last year, the Angels went 81-87 and finished third behind the powerhouse Rangers. But this in a new year, and Los Angeles is hoping again.

Last November, Arturo Moreno, the owner of the Angels, passed away, and his son took over. A sad moment for the team, it nonetheless marked a major change in the teams operation. A massive influx of money occurred, and Junior made it clear that he expected victories.

This past offseason, the Angels signed starting pitchers Josh Johnson and Matt Garza, each with a sub 3.50 ERA, to be their second and third starters. They signed Mark Reynolds, Chase Utley, and a number of quality relievers.

This season, the Angels are the Halos Heaven pick to win the World Series. Now, before you get all "favoritism" on us, note that the last time we picked the Angels to win was 2008, which turned into one of the best regular seasons of all time for the Angels.

We have solid reasons for this pick. The top of the Halos rotation is incredible- Johnson, Garza, and sophomore John Anderson, the reigning AL ROY. Their line-up, while not as dominant as that of the Red Sox or Rangers, can pack a punch, especially with Mike Trout, Reynolds, and Angel Castillo batting 3-4-5.

And why not dream?

-Sam Gardner

---------------------------
@johnnyrocket: season opens tomorrow #letsgo i got the start vs chisox at home, be there or be square #Halos2014

---------------------------
John Anderson struck out 12 in 8 solid innings, Chase Utley hit a home run in his first appearance as an Angel, and the Halos rolled to a 11-3 victory over the Chicago White Sox on Opening Day.

"It's great to start the season with a win like this," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.

Anderson opened the game by striking out Hector Torres and Asdrubal Cabrera with 7 pitches, before allowing a double to Gordan Beckham. He would strike out the side in the third, and two in the second, fifth, sixth, and eighth innings.

In the bottom of the second, the Angels unloaded. Chase Utley unsuccessfully attempted to sacrifice Angel Castillo to second, but was able to steak the base and get a runner in scoring position. After Casey Haerther singled, Daniel Murphy drove in a run with a groundout. Then the hitting parade began, as the next five batters all had base hits, knocking White Sox starter James Russell out of the game.

The White Sox got a run back in the top of the third on Beckham's RBI single, but the Angels responded with three consecutive home runs in the bottom half, by Utley, Haerther, and Murphy.

"The run support was key," Anderson said. "It's a lot easier going out there knowing that you don't need to pitch a perfect game. It just takes a lot of pressure of off you, so you pitch better."

The Angels would tack on two more in the fourth, on...

Last edited by Petepont; 10-29-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #59 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
11 games in, and the Angels were right where they were last year. The bottom of the division. They had just lost a heartbreaker in 12 innings to the Blue Jays, in which Johnny pitched 8 shutout innings, but gave up a run in the 9th, before the Jays won on a walk off home run.

"What did you think of your teams performance, Mr. Scioscia?"

"You want to know what I think? I think John went out there and pitched his heart out, and we blew it. We have guys going 0-6, leaving 8 runners on base? It's awful. We can't let that happen again. Luckily, there's still time"

"But after offseason specu—"

"You shut up. I don't know what you're trying to do, make a huge mess out of this. It's one game, 11 games. We have 157 more games to play, so just shut up and making something out of nothing."

Scioscia's blow up was unexpected, but understandable. The Angels weren't playing as well as they could, but it was early, and they still had plenty of time.

Still, after the Angels lost again the next day, dropping their record to 4-8, John couldn't help wondering... What if it does keep happening? What if it all goes downhill? Since winning their opening two games, the Angels had lost 8 of 10....

An off day after the Toronto series beckoned. The team needed it.

Last edited by Petepont; 11-11-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #60 (permalink)
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 33x in 27 posts
4/30/2014

@johnnyrocket: thats what im talking about #winning

----------------------------------------------

The off day sure did help. The Angels went on a roll for the rest of April, winning 11 of their next 14 games, bookended by three game sweeps of the New York Yankees and the Tampa Bay Rays.

Johnny's pitching was a major factor in the streak. In three consecutive starts, he went eight innings and allowed only one run, while striking out at least eight in each start, as compared to only four walks.

So it was no surprise when 2K Sports approached Johnny about appearing in an advertisement.

"What's my role, Pierre?" John said to his agent.

"Well, basically, they want you to play as you in MLB 2K14, and strike out a bunch of batters. You've seen the adds right? Some player plays the game, talks about how real it is, yadda yadda?"

"Huh... what if I'm awful..."

"You won't be, they can make it so that it's ridiculously easy to strike out your opponents."

"Awesome, I'm down. I love video games."

"Good, I'll tell the company, this could be some great exposure for you, as if you weren't exposed enough last year."

"Haaa"