Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 2014: Version 1.6.8 Available! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - OOTP 15 Announced! - OOTP 14: Update #7 Released! - Out Of The Park Baseball 14 Released! - iOOTP Baseball 2013 for iOS Available NOW! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 Announced - Pre-Order Now!

Beyond the Sideline Football Announced!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #41 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,546x in 1,148 posts
February 4, 2001

I received the following message from the agent for Alberto Gonzalez:

To: Mr. Otto Orcin, GM, Louisville Colonels

Your offer has been topped by a different team. I've worked hard to get where I am, and I'd appreciate something more rewarding. The Knights are proposing to give me fair market value, and I'd have to say they're my front-runners right now if I had to pick.

Alfredo González

I replied immediately with the following message:

Mr. González,

Please see the attached offer sheet containing our revised proposal for a one-year contract at $7,500,000. We hope you will consider this offer acceptable.

The Louisville Colonels are poised to become the premier team in the CBA. Wouldn’t it be appropriate for you, the game’s premier pitcher, to be the starter in game one of the 2001 World Series? Please think it over.

Best Regards,
Otto Orcin
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 AM   #42 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 813x in 671 posts
To heck with the draft pick… my boss wants a title! ... Then he should of have tried harder to cough up more cash to outbid Boston ... ... however, you will get a great deal with Gonzalez
Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #43 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabez54 View Post
Then he should of have tried harder to cough up more cash to outbid Boston ...

No question that Elliott would have been ideal, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. I want my cake (room to sign my young players in three years) and eat it (win this year) too. I just have to be a little more patient and get the best of the one-year guys right before spring training.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #44 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

February 5, 2001 (cbatraderumors.com)

Subject: SP Fletcher Signs Contract Extension with Colonels

The Louisville Colonels have signed star pitcher Todd Fletcher to a four-year contract extension worth $37 million. The contract buys out Fletcher’s remaining arbitration eligibility and his first two years of free agency. Fletcher, 27, was 16-9 with a 3.12 ERA in 2000. He has been named to the All-Star team in each of the past two seasons.

February 16, 2001 (BNN)

Subject: It’s Official – LF Schultz Signs with Stars

A wave of jubilation swept over Houston today as fans and team officials celebrated the signing of Ron Schultz.

Despite the fact that the Houston Stars will have to pay out $69,160,000 over 7 years, he will certainly draw fans to the park. Let's just hope they don't crank up ticket prices!

Career-to-date Schultz has rung up a .252 average, played in 759 games and collected 106 doubles, 20 triples and 78 home runs.

The Louisville Colonels will receive a pick in the supplemental first round of the 2001 amateur draft as compensation for the loss of Schultz, a Type-B free agent.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #45 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

February 20, 2001 (cbatraderumors.com)

Subject: Chavez Signs with Colonels

The Louisville Colonels have signed free agent reliever Mario Chavez to a one-year contract for $1 million. Chavez has a career record of 35-32 with a 3.59 ERA and 49 saves in nine CBA seasons, all but one of those with the Salt Lake City Bees.

Chavez was signed for depth and will compete for the last spot in the Colonels bullpen, according to GM Otto Orcin.

Meanwhile, the agent for Alberto Gonzalez informed me that we were again outbid. I immediately increased my offer again.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #46 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

February 25, 2001 (BNN)

Subject: Veteran SP Gonzalez, Louisville Complete Deal

As speculation mounted into the morning, rumors over a final agreement between Alfredo González and Louisville became a reality, with the star opting for a $9,000,000 deal over 1 year. Louisville outbid other teams for the services of Gonzalez, and increased their offer several times over the final days according to our sources.

So far in González's career, the 37-year-old starter has won 203 and lost 197, collecting 3033 strikeouts with a 3.44 ERA. Opponents have hit .228 against him. Gonzalez, a cinch Hall of Famer, is eighth all-time in wins and sixth on the all-time strikeout list.

Fan interest in Louisville has increased noticeably as a result of the signing.

Persistence pays off. It took over a month to get this deal done.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #47 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Fan interest in Louisville has increased noticeably ... no question about it, mate .... let the Game begin ...
Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #48 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabez54 View Post
Fan interest in Louisville has increased noticeably ... no question about it, mate .... let the Game begin ...

Two things...

Being a veteran player of that other game, you may not know but that is a quote from the game itself. I received a "personal message" to inform me that "fan interest increased noticeably". Higher fan interest helps to generate additional revenue, so it is a good thing to sign a popular free agent like Gonzalez.

Second, your box of popcorn makes a great point. This is indeed the longest pre-season on record. It has taken me a while because I spent a LOT of time getting familiar with my team and the league. I explored a lot of trades and free agents that went nowhere and therefore didn't end up in the report. I am making good progress toward a season now though.

Please stay tuned!

Last edited by Orcin; 01-31-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #49 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

March 3, 2001 (BNN)

Subject: Spring Training Preview – Louisville Colonels (2000: 86-76 1st)

The Colonels won the Midwest Division last year and look to be the favorite to repeat despite some significant turnover on their roster. Thirteen players moved on while ten new players will join the team for spring training. BNN rewards GM Otto Orcin’s efforts by ranking Louisville with the CBA’s #5 offseason (net gain of 2.7 WAR).

Key Acquisitions: RF Terrence Banks (+4.1), C Julio Martinez (+2.6), SP Alfredo Gonzalez (+2.2), 1B Chris Brown (+2.0)
Important Losses: SP Adam Burleigh (-4.4), LF Ron Schultz (-3.2)

Rotation: Two returning starters, Todd Fletcher (16-9, 3.12) and Ron MacLain (13-10, 3.44), will anchor the rotation. Newly-signed free agents Alfredo Gonzalez (15-13, 4.01) and Ricardo Martinez (12-15, 4.34) will take over the third and fourth spots. Free agent Ed Gibson (1-2, 4.93) was brought in to compete with veteran Andrew Clark (6-11, 5.10) and rookie Ron Sims (no record) for the final spot in the rotation.

Bullpen: Mike MacIntosh (2.96, 23sv) will assume the closer role following the trade of Matt Head to Milwaukee. Kaz Mizuno (2.85) will likely be the setup man. Lefty Rodrigo Melendez (3.52) was acquired from Cincinnati to bolster the back of the bullpen. David O’Daniel (2.76), Kelly Dean (2.68), lefty Chris Patterson (2.98), and free agent Mario Chavez (4.81) will compete for three middle relief spots. The sixth starter will round out the bullpen according to manager Chad Byrne.

Catcher: All-Star and Gold Glove winner Julio Martinez (.252, 28, 83) was acquired from Milwaukee in the Head trade and will significantly upgrade this position for the Colonels. Last year’s starter Rodolphe Murat (.209, 12, 36) and free agent Jorge Costa (.201, 18, 63 – 1999 Orlando) will compete for the backup role.

Infield: The Colonels are very high on rookie Chris Brown (.299, 18, 42) at first base. Rodney Wright (.292, 19, 61) at second base and Raul Martinez (.225, 20, 53) at shortstop are among the best double-play combinations in the league. Ray Conley (.236, 9, 42) has the inside track on the third base job based on experience. Veteran David Harris, Lou Gordon, David Rojas, and rookie Juan Aponte will compete for two backup jobs and one of them could challenge Conley as the starter at third.

Outfield: All-Star Silas Campbell (.278, 34, 85) will move from right field to left this year. The rest of the starting outfield was acquired from Providence during the off-season in the Adam Burleigh trade. Right-fielder Terrence Banks (.311, 31, 81) is a budding star and could be ready for a breakout season according to Colonels management. Rookie center fielder Hugh McGlone (.331, 10, 27) has similar potential. Last year’s left fielder Harry Hall (.262, 9, 65) will back up all three spots and be the primary left-handed bat off the bench. Center fielders Mark Mann and Brian Smith will compete for the fifth outfielder role.

CBA Top-Rated Players: LF Silas Campbell, RF Terrence Banks, SP Todd Fletcher

BNN’s Projected 2001 Finish: 86-76, will repeat as Midwest Division Champion
Old 01-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #50 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

April 2, 2001 – Opening Day

The Colonels spring record was 13-9. I was very lucky to only have one serious injury: reliever Kelly Dean was diagnosed with shoulder inflammation and will miss three months.

A few standout performers made the final roster decisions very difficult.

• Starting pitcher Ron Sims pushed his way into the rotation by throwing 12 innings with a 0.75 ERA and 0.67 WHIP. My scout assures me that Sims is ready.
• Ed Gibson won the long reliever/spot starter job over Andrew Clark by a narrow margin. Clark is out of options so I hope to sneak him through waivers.
• Dean’s injury left no competition for the six bullpen spots.
• Jorge Costa pushed Murat hard for the backup catcher spot. Murat is out of options so Costa will be sent down to preserve depth at the position in case of injury.
• Chris Brown hit .383 with 3 HR and 10 RBI. Manager Byrne decided to bat him third to take advantage of his speed and on-base percentage ahead of our sluggers.
• Rookie Juan Aponte hit .370 in the spring and won the third base job. He will start the year batting leadoff. If he can handle this responsibility, it will be an unexpected benefit to our already-improved offense.
• Ray Conley will be kept on the roster to back up at first base and third, because he is the best candidate to play third in case Aponte falters. I have to send down 1B David Harris and risk losing David Rojas on waivers.
• The final reserve infielder was a very difficult decision. Several players, including 2B Juan Garcia, had excellent stats in the spring. Lou Gordon was not one of them, but he is the only candidate that can play shortstop and he is out of options. So he won the job temporarily but I will be watching the waiver wire for a middle infielder.
• The outfield spots provided no surprises and Mark Mann will be the fifth outfielder mainly because he is out of options.

The Colonels’ opening day lineup vs. the Milwaukee Eagles will be:

3B Aponte (rookie)
2B Wright
1B Brown (rookie)
LF Campbell
RF Banks
C J.Martinez
CF McGlone (rookie)
SS R.Martinez
P Fletcher
Old 01-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #51 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

April 2, 2001

Subject: Personal Message from the Owner – Season Expectation

Otto,

I have now decided on the goal for the coming season. After evaluating several factors, I have come to the conclusion that the team should play .500 ball.

Good Luck!
Henry Cooper

Thanks, Henry, but I am planning on doing a lot better than that.

At the very last minute before ending the pre-season, I decided not to let all of this extra budget money go to waste. I increased my scouting and player development budgets to 150% of the league average.

I also took a good, long look at the minor leagues to make sure that my best prospects are at the proper level. I let minor-league managers control lineups and depth charts, but I control player transactions, promotions/demotions, and disabled list assignments. I use the player strategy tool when needed to make sure my prospects get playing time at the positions that I want.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #52 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

April 2, 2001 (BNN)

Subject: Baseball America Top 100 Prospects

The season is about to start, so it's time for Baseball America to publish the annual Top 100 Prospects list. This year 20-year-old first baseman Dennis Morgan of the Milwaukee Eagles is the #1 prospect overall.

Here is the top 10:
1) 1B Dennis Morgan, 20, Milwaukee Eagles
2) SP Félix Delgado, 17, St. Louis Hawks
3) LF Girard Maini, 22, Indianapolis Indians
4) SP Ramón Soto, 18, Detroit Titans
5) SP Jorge González, 19, San Diego Stallions
6) SS Ben Daniels, 21, Baltimore Robins
7) LF Mario Garza, 24, Nashville Tigers
8) SP Chip Davidson, 18, Louisville Colonels
9) 3B Elijah Graham, 20, Charleston Generals
10) SP Justin Bell, 19, Detroit Titans

It is always nice to see one of your prospects on this list. Davidson, a lefty, was Louisville’s first-round pick last year (#3 overall). He will be pitching at Class A Evansville this season.

Our farm system was ranked #9 overall with four rated prospects. Edgardo Garza (#27) is a teenage reliever that Candelaria discovered in Venezuela after a quick trip down there. Juan Aponte is also on the list at #73. Infielder Tom John (18) is rated #79. John played for Evansville last year and was probably over his head. He will play there again this season, trying to find a regular position at second base.

I tried several times to trade with Indianapolis for prospect #3 based on the glowing recommendations of our scout (formerly the Indianapolis scout). The Indians would not give him up for anything. I also tried to get the #1 prospect (Morgan) in the Head trade, but Milwaukee would only offer Brown instead. I might be better off with Brown anyway because he is more ready to play.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #53 (permalink)
Bat Boy

Thanked 5x in 5 posts
Wow. I really like 1.) your storyline thus far, and 2.) the fact that this is a good learning experience for anyone interested in this game.

Keep up the good work,

Breck
Breckinridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Orcin (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #54 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 40x in 32 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breckinridge View Post
Wow. I really like 1.) your storyline thus far, and 2.) the fact that this is a good learning experience for anyone interested in this game.

Keep up the good work,

Breck
Second Breck's quote above. I not only reading for enjoyment, but also using it as a study book.
blazertaz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Orcin (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #55 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thumbs up

I'm glad to see the Real Orcin's skills as well as being the student of the Game being known over here ... he was appreciated by the few and a stong advocate of the Fiction Assns over at the PS Forum ... due to the depth and the immersion of this Game, he has finally emerge from this awesome Dynasty !!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #56 (permalink)
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 27x in 19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertaz13 View Post
Second Breck's quote above. I not only reading for enjoyment, but also using it as a study book.
Also agree. After reading this I have spent the night setting up something similar to take over. In the past, I've liked to do inagural drafts and start from scratch but this has intrigued me to the point that I want to give it a try. Great work!
craftdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Orcin (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #57 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for all the encouragement, folks. It helps to know someone is actually reading these things.

I did a couple of fictional associations with inaugural drafts, and I thought it would be fun to have some history for the league this time. I like how it turned out. I was a little worried about having the initial batch of created players in my records but, as it turns out, many of the record holders were created by the draft pools or international signings.

I made the decision before creating the league to take over Louisville in 2001 no matter what came out of the first twenty years. I then wrote the story around what actually did happen.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #58 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 40x in 32 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Thanks for all the encouragement, folks. It helps to know someone is actually reading these things.

I did a couple of fictional associations with inaugural drafts, and I thought it would be fun to have some history for the league this time. I like how it turned out. I was a little worried about having the initial batch of created players in my records but, as it turns out, many of the record holders were created by the draft pools or international signings.

I made the decision before creating the league to take over Louisville in 2001 no matter what came out of the first twenty years. I then wrote the story around what actually did happen.
Keep this up as I am close to making the switch.

Now back to Louisville and the regular season.
blazertaz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #59 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Since we were talking about league history anyway, please allow a brief interlude for a little feature that I like to call…

CBA PLAYER PROFILE

Today’s Feature: SP Jorge “Matchbox” Figueroa, Baltimore Robins

Figueroa is the best pitcher in the CBA. That’s an understatement. He was discovered by Baltimore’s scout in Cuba and signed in 1988. Since then, he has compiled an impressive dossier.

• Career record of 218-84 with 2.00 ERA, 0.96 WHIP
• Won the Outstanding Pitcher Award 8 times
• Selected to the All-Star team 11 times (every year in the league!)
• Has thrown two no-hitters
• Has three World Series rings
• Record for lowest season ERA (1.28 in 2000)
• Record for most strikeouts in a season (347 in 1998)
• Career leader in shutouts (18)
• Career ERA is #2 all-time, career wins #6 all-time
• Career 3,428 strikeouts is #2 all-time (will catch leader this year)
• Career leader among pitchers in VORP (932) and WAR (129)

In case you are wondering, Figueroa was going into the final year of his contract this spring and just signed a four-year extension worth $88 million to make him the highest-paid player in the CBA.

So, without further adieu, I present the player card of Jorge Figueroa.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #60 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

It has been 10 days and 60 posts since this dynasty report began and now we are FINALLY ready to play some games. A few of you may still be awake, so I wanted to cover a couple of points out of character before we begin.

My plan is to post a short update after each week of play. I’ll provide a dashboard and comment on whatever aspect of the team has my focus at the moment. I’ll try to give info about the context of the league when appropriate. I will definitely post standings and stats for the league at certain points during the season, probably at the “quarter poles” (40 games).

I have used a set of gmo’s custom schedules for this league (a series of 30 schedules with interleague play). I typically manage the first game of each series and then sim the remaining 2 or 3 games. This is a good compromise that keeps the season moving at a good pace but allowing some personal involvement with the teams and players. I will manage every game in the post-season (if I get there, of course).

I don’t make many moves during the season, especially on a new team, because I want to avoid making snap judgments on a small sample size of games. Injuries are good opportunities to look at the second tier of the 40-man roster in game situations. I usually resort to in-season trades only to fill glaring holes on a contending team or dump salary on a team that is out of the race. Consequently, there should be less player movement analysis and more team performance analysis ahead in this report.

Some people are interested in the finances, and I am pleased to report that there are no unsigned free agents greater than three stars at any position except middle reliever. Most of those four-star MR’s are over 35. The three-star players left are either older with fading skills and/or asking dumb money. All of the attractive free agents with realistic contract demands were off the market by the start of spring training. I am pretty happy with the settings, suggested by MizzouRah, shown at the beginning of this thread.

And now… on with the show!