Home | Webstore
Latest News: - OOTP 15: Update #6 Released! - OOTP 15 Released! - FHM 2014: Version 1.6.19 Available! - iOOTP Baseball 2014 for iOS Available NOW! - Beyond the Sideline Football Announced! - Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 released!

OOTP 15 World Series Special: 50% Off!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #1201 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Maybe rewrite the story saying DiMaggio wrenched his back or something. It is possible on a tough slide or swing, although 7th game, it would have to be something where he just plain couldn't play anymore, maybe a badly sprained ankle is better. that's how I'd have done it, anyway.

Don't know about O'Neil and Brown, though; 3 guys going out with injuries in the same game is too uncanny, unless they run into each other. Could DiMaggio and O'Niel have somehow collided in the next frame and then come out?It's no t that fun to "rewrite" the game but it would make it a bit more realistic.

Last edited by DTF955; 08-30-2007 at 05:42 PM.
DTF955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:09 PM   #1202 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Interlude - FDR Integrates military, League of Nations stronger

Dec. 5, 1940 - Dateline, Washington:
The President today signed into law a bill mandating American entry into the League of Nations. Support in the post-election Congress was swift and sure, as WendellW Wilkie, the internationalist, was swept to power over Republican Thomas Dewey, who suffered from numerous problems associated with his youth and inexperience in the campaign.

Opponents were subdued. "America seemed resigned to it. It didn't matter who won, FDR was going to push it through," one said.

League success in preventing the Italian conquest of Abyssinia in 1936, and Soviet conquest of Finland in 1939, was a key; after a final and successful resolution to the border problem between the latter two, Americans became convinced that entry in the League of Nations would not endanger their desire to be isolationist.

A month after his defeat at the hands of FDR's chosen successor, a man who was an FDR delegate in 1932, Thomas Dewey admitted a strategic blunder, as he put it, "almost as big as some of those in the World Series this year. Not quite that big, but almost," he quipped.

He referred, of course, to his attempts to hammer at two points - Americans no longer mistrusted the League like they had, and Americans were generally accepting of FDR's intgegration of the military in 1940. "There were no major problems; the races have been playing baseball togetgher for 20 years, most of these men have grown up with that, it wasn't the problem I thought it might be."

Wilkie's Vice President, Harry Truman, was fromthe South - well, Missouri - a move which placated the area. Dewey had picked an Ohioan, Robert Taft.

Ironically, while FDR had attempted, in his plans to provide for recovery from the Recession of 1932-34, to provide for a modest level of integration, the Wilkie-Truman ticket may in fact attempt to do even more. "it will go slowly," Trumansaid, "but the world is at peace, the British are moving India to Dominion status by next year, and we should attempt - now that we have cured outward ills - to mind our inward ones, as wel. Will it be difficult? of course. But, I have always believed that if you can't stand the heat, you should get out of the kitchen."

For now, of course, Wilkie will head up things, starting to pay some attention to integration, but with foreign policy his main goal. But, some wonder just what would happen if Harry Truman would become President of the United States.

(Note: In case I don't have time when it gets to be 1943/4, Wilkie died in late 1944, and would probably die months earlier witht he stress of the Presidency. Truman - who was willing to integrate the military in OTL - would likely integrate much mroe of society here.)
Old 08-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #1203 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 6x in 6 posts
Thought this was Big Six's dynasty?
Powderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #1204 (permalink)
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
He's been letting me put a few historical things in to help explain what's going on in the outside world, because as a history teacher he would feel it's too much like work if he had to do that. He did put a few things in about Germany and Japan, but those weren't the only hot spots in the 1930s. Mussolini and Stalin needed put in their place, too, but a different League of nations that steps in does the trick.

This is probably about it for outside history, though - it can be presumed that integration will go smoothly from here on in, the possibility of jet travel when in OTL jets were greatly enhanced by the need for them in WW II has been explained. (This will help when the leagues expand or teams move.) Integration has been done. (Actually, he hadn't even thought about a "why" for Pat integrating the majors, and I put in an interesting conversation that could have happened between Pat and a black players on the eve of Pat's retirement, wherein he talks about how his grandfather was saved by some members of one of the "Colored Regiments" int he Civil War.)

And, a political landscape has been set - with Big Six adding more if he wishes, along with what I PM's him at ideas - just in case Pat would decide to go into politics. :-) (I dont' know if he will, and Big Six might be uncertain yet himself.)

This will probably be my last, though; just one mroe Masters course, which I'm taking now, and I graduate and can leave the practice of law behidn for good. And, I thikn everything's been set as far as the "why"s beteween his posts on Germany/Japan and mine. Oh, I guess Vietnam needs explained, too, as for why that doesn't happen. Hmmm, just have Ho Chih Minh die in a guerilla war with a stronger France, and the French just developing dominion status like Britain did for their colonies. tha twill work easily.

Plus, with the Soviet Union marginalized, they aren't very powerful, and might get into an Afghanistan-type war even earlier. Maybe China in the '40s-'50s. So, they slowly become free then.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:30 PM   #1205 (permalink)
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Just finished reading, took me about 3 weeks. All I can say is thanks, and I can't wait to read more. I started playing Season Ticket Baseball 2003, and I've played ITP, but this has made getting OOTP a top priority.
FatzBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #1206 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 327x in 225 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatzBeck View Post
Just finished reading, took me about 3 weeks. All I can say is thanks, and I can't wait to read more. I started playing Season Ticket Baseball 2003, and I've played ITP, but this has made getting OOTP a top priority.
Thanks, FatzBeck. It's great to have another reader on board, and I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far.

The Base Ball Life of Patrick O'Farrell: where it all began

The Yankee Baseball League: The Base Ball Life of Patrick O'Farrell, vol. 2

The Old Line League: a fictional league set in Maryland

The Continental Baseball Association: historical fiction, or fictional history?
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #1207 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Dropping a hint, perhaps?

227 Elm Street
Stockbridge, Massachusetts

Mr. Nile Kinnick
Hotel St. George
Brooklyn, New York

October 27, 1940

Dear Nile,

It was really great to get the postcard from you the other day. It had been a very rough day for me; I had very little sleep the night before because I was sitting up with my Grandma. She was having some difficulty breathing, and I called the doctor about 1:30 A.M. Fortunately, Stockbridge is the kind of town where the family doctor doesn't think twice about grabbing his bag and coming out to visit his patients when they need him. He checked Grandma carefully, gave her some medicine, and told me to call him back if she didn't start breathing more easily very soon. Within a couple of hours, she seemed to be doing much better, and was resting easily.

I didn't wake my Grandpa up, because there was really nothing he could do for her, and he would only worry. After all, Grandpa is 82 years old himself, and while he's still plenty spry, he needs his rest if he's going to stay that way. I have to remind him constantly that I'm here to help him take care of Grandma, because he's always trying to do more than he really should.

I suppose I still miss playing football, but I have found that I really enjoy following the sport as a fan. Sure, I still root for the Lions, but I'm finding myself pulling for Brooklyn a lot more this season--and if it turns out that I have a brother-in-law on the Dodgers, I'll officially switch my allegiance to your team!

Along those lines, I hope you know how thrilled I would be to have you become a full-fledged member of my family. I know I speak for all the O'Farrells when I say that, too. And, I'm not sure you know this, but there seems to be a lucky little connection between St. Nick and Cupid in the O'Farrell family. My mom and dad were married Christmas Eve and my Aunt Emily got married on December 23. Her husband is Smokey Joe Wood, you know. And my sister Beth got engaged on Christmas Eve, too.

Just consider that a little bit of potentially helpful information from a pal, OK?

Good luck with your game this weekend. I'll be looking forward to more news from you soon.

Your pal,
Mike

I decided that since there's no threat of a world war in the O'Farrell universe, Nile Kinnick might enjoy giving NFL football a try. In the "real world," Nile was drafted by the Brooklyn Dodgers in the second round of the NFL draft, but he never played pro football.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #1208 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Fatherly pride

12 Lowell Road
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts

Mr. Michael O'Farrell
227 Elm Street

November 30, 1940

Dear Son,

I suppose I am a bit old-fashioned, but I confess that I enjoy getting cards and letters from you even more than I enjoy your telephone calls. The telephone has its place; nothing beats it for quick communication. There is, however, something very satisfying about opening a letter and reading it, setting it aside and returning to it again. That just isn't possible with a telephone call, is it?

I am glad to hear you are enjoying your autumn in Stockbridge. The pace is quite different from the hustle and bustle in Boston, as you mentioned. I doubt there is a better place on earth for a man to get his thoughts together than Stockbridge. I know that the task of caring for your Grandma occupies a lot of your time and requires a lot of energy. I hope you realize how much I appreciate what you are doing, Son. I wish there were more I could do, but as I am sure you know, my job requires me to remain in Boston throughout the fall.

So you have discovered how much of a "workout" your muscles get from an afternoon of chopping wood, have you? I smiled when I read that, remembering the many, many days I spent doing exactly those kinds of things during my off-seasons. One of these days I will take a holiday from work, ride out to Stockbridge on the train, and join you on a hike through the hills. It will do my "old" legs a world of good!

I am also glad to hear that you and Eleanor are getting along so well. She is a sweetheart of a girl, and I think you would be a fool to let her slip away. I am looking forward to having her join us for Christmas, too.

Son, you must know how much I have worried about you; about the decisions you made and the paths you seemed intent on following. I want you to know how proud I am of you for turning away from the things that used to lead you astray. You have grown into an admirable man, and I know there is a connection between these changes you have made and your recent improvement as a pitcher. As a father--and as the general manager of your baseball club--I could not be happier with you.

I suppose I need to close this letter so I can get to the post office with it before it closes. The rain that has been falling all day has turned to sleet--I suppose it might be snowing in Stockbridge--so I will have to take my time. Give my love to Grandma and Grandpa, and I will see you in three weeks.

Love,
your Dad

Old 11-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #1209 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Going to the chapel

227 Elm Street

Mr. Archie Graham
524 2nd Street, NW
Chisholm, Minnesota

January 7, 1941

Dear Archie,

I hope you, Alicia, and your children had a wonderful Christmas. We certainy did--it felt like the ones we enjoyed when I was a kid, with the whole family at the house in Stockbridge. Everyone was able to make it here by Christmas Eve.

The best gift I received was a single word: a "yes" from Ellie when I asked her to marry me. We've planned our wedding for April 5, because we don't want to wait until after the season. The wedding will be in Wooster, Ohio, which is Ellie's home town. I'll be leaving spring training a week early and since we're opening the season in Detroit this year, I'll be able to easily meet the team for Opening Day.

I wanted to have one of my teammates in my wedding, and I've known you longer than anyone on the club--ever since I was a schoolboy I would like very much for you to be one of my groomsmen. You don't have to worry about asking permission to leave spring training for the wedding, because I already got the OK from our manager and general manager. The GM was, after all, aware of my plans almost immediately.

I hope you'll agree to take part in our special day. Please let me know as soon as you can. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you, and I'll be seeing you in sunny Florida before we know it.

Take care,
Mike

Old 11-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #1210 (permalink)
All Star Starter

Thanked 46x in 46 posts
Awesome to see this still moving along. Great Job
Ric915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #1211 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Ric. I took a break from OOTP for a while because I played a few other sports sims. I started missing the O'Farrells, so I decided it was time to get back to the story.

I hope you, and everyone else who's reading the story, will enjoy sticking around.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #1212 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Discontent

Boston Herald, March 22, 1941

TIME FOR SOX TO MAKE SOME CHANGES

As the 1941 season approaches, it appears obvious that the Boston Red Sox will enter the fray with basically the same troops that surrendered the American League pennant to the New York Yankees last fall.

The Red Sox have long been famous for their stability, gaining a well-deserved reputation for reliability that rivals that of a Swiss timepiece. Only two managers have led the club since the turn of the century. The team has a record of pennant and World Series success that no other club can match.

However, in recent years the flow of championships has reduced to a trickle. The Red Sox have not won the World Series since 1933, and have won only one pennant during that span of years. At no point since the team's gravy years began in 1909 have the fans of the Old Towne Team gone so long without savoring victory.

It is now clear that the time for change has come.

As remarkable as the achievements of the men who have brought this success to the Red Sox have been, their best years are apparently in the past.

As heretical as it might seem to imply that Bill Carrigan and Pat O'Farrell might serve the Red Sox best by stepping down from the positions of manager and general manager, that is precisely what the team needs most.

Carrigan and O'Farrell have allowed the Red Sox to stagnate into a club full of veterans who are almost good enough to win championships. That's not good enough for Red Sox fans, and it shouldn't be.

Venerable stars like Lou Gehrig, Jim Weaver, and Judy Johnson are among the finest players the game has seen in years, but they aren't the men they used to be. How many talented youngsters have been brushed aside because Carrigan and O'Farrell refuse to part ways with the vets? Gehrig and Johnson are old enough to have been O'Farrell's teammates. That says about as much as needs to be said.

To be fair, the Sox have acquired some promising young players. Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, and Dominic DiMaggio have the look of future greats. However, none of the three is developing as quickly as he should. At least one American League rival has intimated that the Red Sox' youngsters are the most talented in baseball, and that their slow progress can't be explained in any other way than to conclude that Carrigan and O'Farrell have lost their touch.

It is true that, in 1940, a Red Sox pitcher won 24 ballgames in his second full major league season. That pitcher was twenty-five years old, not a callow youngster. He spent his early twenties pursuing, alternately, show girls and a career as an NFL quarterback before deciding to dedicate himself to baseball.

While the development of this pitcher has been a pleasant surprise, would he have been allowed such free rein and so much patience if his surname weren't O'Farrell?

A decision is not necessarily sound simply because results in a positive outcome. Good fortune has a way of making the biggest fools seem wise on occasion.

Realistically, the Red Sox could never fire either Carrigan or O'Farrell without inciting a riot. Their contributions to the storied history of the franchise have earned them more respect than that, and rightfully so.

That's why, if Carrigan and O'Farrell truly have the Red Sox' best interests at heart, they will step down and allow sharper, more "modern" baseball men to guide the team's formidable talent into a new era of greatness.

Last edited by Big Six; 11-16-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:26 AM   #1213 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 195x in 170 posts
Like Ric915, I'm really glad that the O'Farrells are on the move again - and the Herald article shows that you've lost none of your edge, Big Six. Keep up the good work!
Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #1214 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 110x in 103 posts
Wow! What a great read!

I hope that O'Farrell and Carrigan will bring up those guys soon. They could really amount to something.
captaincarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #1215 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Tyke and captaincarl.

All three--Williams, Doerr, and DiMaggio--have, in fact, already made the Red Sox. Teddy Ballgame came up to Boston in 1938, Doerr in 1939, and DiMaggio in 1940.

Williams has shown signs of stardom, and if I didn't know he was supposed to turn out to be Ted Williams, I'd say he was a fine young player. Doerr had a good rookie year, but suffered through one heck of a sophomore slump. DiMaggio gave the Sox fantastic defense in center field as a rookie, but was overmatched at bat.

We'll see if they develop into stars over the next few years. That's part of the fun of this dynasty: seeing which players reach their "real life" standards, which ones exceed them, and which ones fall short.

I'm glad you're still enjoying the tale.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #1216 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Fit as a fiddle

Boston Globe, March 28, 1941

O'FARRELL PREDICTS SOX PENNANT

SARASOTA, FLORIDA--Mike O'Farrell has never been accused of lacking confidence.

Nevertheless, the Red Sox righthander has rarely seemed more sure of himself than he did yesterday, as he predicted a pennant for the 1941 edition of the Boston American Leaguers.

"We have the perfect combination of experience and youth," O'Farrell told reporters. "There are veterans in our clubhouse who have won before, and know what it takes to put a team over the top. And there are younger guys who haven't tasted winning yet, and we want to become part of the winning tradition here."

Since arriving in Sarasota, O'Farrell has done nothing to make his words seem empty. He has pitched well every time he has taken the mound, and he is looking good in his practice sessions as well.

O'Farrell reported to camp with a leaner, more powerful-looking physique, which he attributes to a different off-season routine. "I spent the fall and winter back at the family place in the Berkshires," he explained. "So I'm fresher than I was when I played football, and more fit than I was when I spent the off-season in Boston."

The righthander also has an extra sparkle in his eye these days. "I'm getting my spring work in early, because I'm going to get married next week," O'Farrell confided. "We'll take our honeymoon trip in the fall."

The Red Sox are generally considered one of three teams that have a real shot at the American League pennant, along with the defending champion New York Yankees and the always-tough Detroit Tigers. If the bridegroom-to-be with the powerful right arm proves to be a prophet, then he and the future Mrs. O'Farrell won't be saying "bon voyage" until mid-October, and he'll have two shiny new rings on his fingers.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #1217 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Sunshine

Boston Globe, May 19, 1941

SURGING SOX WIN FOURTH STRAIGHT
Gibson's Two-Out Double Wins Game In Ninth

BOSTON--The biggest crowd of the season came out to Fenway Park on a glorious spring Sunday, and they went home with smiles on their faces as the hometown team pulled out a thrilling 8-7 victory over the Chicago White Sox with two outs in the ninth inning.

The league-leading Red Sox' victory was their fourth straight, and enabled them to maintain their three-game lead over the Detroit Tigers, who also won yesterday.

Catcher Josh Gibson ripped a game-deciding double into the left-field corner, after the White Sox had seemed to wrench the game away from the Bostonians with two runs of their own in the top of the inning.

Gibson, who has been off to an uncharacteristically slow start this season, grinned from ear to ear as he told the story of his game-winning hit.

"I was looking for a fastball, and Len Brown threw me one, belt high," Gibson recalled. "I haven't guessed right many times this season. This one felt good."

Josh's two-bagger scored Lou Gehrig from first, where he stood after knocking his third base hit of the game. Big Lou was running with the pitch, and his veteran legs churned wildly as he tore around the bases like a much younger man.

"It's easy to feel young when you're in first place," Gehrig, who is now seventeen hits shy of the 3,000 mark and still going strong as his thirty-eighth birthday approaches.

Tex Hughson, Boston's rookie relief star, got the win after coming to the rescue of starter Jim Weaver in the ninth frame.

The Red Sox will send Mike O'Farrell, who leads the American League with a 2.09 ERA, to the mound in an attempt to continue the winning streak. O'Farrell's seven wins places him one behind the Yankees' Gene Schott for the league lead.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #1218 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Wedding bells

Boston Globe, June 12, 1941

MISS O'FARRELL WEDS MR. KINNICK

Miss Mary Catherine O'Farrell became the bride of Mr. Nile Clarke Kinnick, Jr. at St. Paul's Catholic Church in Wellesley on June 11.

The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick O'Farrell of Wellesley Hills. The bridegroom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Nile Clarke Kinnick, Sr., of Omaha, Nebraska...

The bride was given away by her father...

The bride's attendants included her sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Parker of Ardmore, Pennsylvania...

Attending the bridegroom were Mr. Michael O'Farrell of Stockbridge; Mr. John O'Farrell, and Mr. William O'Farrell, both of Wellesley Hills, brothers of the bride...

Following a wedding trip to Hawaii, Mr. and Mrs. Kinnick will be at home in Iowa City, Iowa.

Last edited by Big Six; 01-22-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #1219 (permalink)
Hall Of Famer

Sweet, Lou

Boston Globe, June 13, 1941

GEHRIG REACHES 3000 HITS AS RED SOX WIN AGAIN
Boston's Late-Inning Hitting Heroics Secure 6-5 Victory

BOSTON--Few men have worn the Boston Red Sox uniform with as much class and distinction as Lou Gehrig has displayed since the day, nearly 20 years ago, when he first put it on.

Yesterday, Gehrig put an exclamation point on his long, illustrious career by collecting his 3000th major league hit. He and his Red Sox teammates made the day even more memorable by coming from behind to defeat the Chicago White Sox, 6-5.

Gehrig drew two walks before making history with a line-drive single off Chisox starter Bob Cooney in the sixth inning. Then, an inning later, Lou belted a majestic home run that tied the score, 5-5. Gehrig's blast set the stage for Fumio Fujimura's game-winning homer off Cooney in the bottom of the eighth inning.

Gehrig's cheerful, humble demeanor lent a charming touch to the post-game festivities, in which the first sacker's locker was surrounded by teammates and reporters bearing congratulations.

"I've been fortunate to play most of my career here, with the greatest bunch of teammates a fellow could have," Gehrig said with a grin. "The fans here in Boston are the best in baseball. We owe them a pennant, and that's what we're going to give them."

Gehrig's confidence stems from the fact that the Red Sox have opened up a nine-game lead over the Detroit Tigers in the American League race. The fact that the Bosox batsmen won this game with timely slugging bodes well for a team that has largely relied upon the pitching feats of Ray Brown, Mike O'Farrell, and Jim Weaver so far this spring...

More on Gehrig:

Lou amassed 3000 hits in 8960 at-bats, for a lifetime batting average of .335. He is the eighth player to gain membership in the "3000 Club," and the third Red Sox star to achieve this feat. The others, of course, are Pat O'Farrell and Tris Speaker.

"When I was a young player, I was lucky enough to be the teammate of Pat O'Farrell and Tris Speaker. They both taught me a lot about hitting, and about what it took to be a big leaguer. Without them, I wouldn't be talking to you right now," Gehrig said, in salute to the other two Red Sox with at least 3,000 hits.

Gehrig is the all-time leader in runs batted in and walks, and ranks second in doubles and runs scored--all categories in which Pat O'Farrell once headed the list.

"I'm honored to be mentioned in the same breath as Pat O'Farrell," Gehrig told reporters. "He is one of the greats of the game."

So, too, are you, Mr. Gehrig.

Last edited by Big Six; 01-22-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #1220 (permalink)
All Star Reserve

Thanked 195x in 170 posts
Big Six, I notice that the Keystone League is back in gear; does that mean Pat & co. will soon be with us again? [Please....please.... ]
Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote