OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/index.php)
-   MLBM 2018 - General Discussions (http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=3926)
-   -   Value of Middle Relievers/Closers (http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/showthread.php?t=280753)

SpyPirates 08-10-2017 06:03 PM

Value of Middle Relievers/Closers
 
How do you guys value MR/CL relative to other positions when drafting/trading? I realize now that i screwed myself over a bit by overvaluing them to the extent that 6 of my last 10 draft picks have been MR and i've also traded for a few because i saw the star ratings and stats and figured it was a good value.

wodi 08-10-2017 10:28 PM

Value of Middle Relievers/Closers
 
Relievers are, I don't wanna say worthless, but worthless. The game codes so that starters are worth more than relievers.

You'll see as you progress years in the CPU teams will start filling their bullpen with starting pitchers over relievers.

The good Closers, sure, they have value.

IAmC 08-11-2017 01:08 PM

You have to take the best non-relievers (either starters or position players) in the first two rounds of the draft. There are so, so many relievers in the draft that there's no point in wasting a prime spot unless there isn't any more quality left in the non-reliever players. Having said that, far too often, quality non-relievers are all gone by the time round 3 hits.

Edster007 08-13-2017 05:52 AM

I made the mistake of drafting too many relievers when I couldn't draft to fill a specific need thinking that I could trade them to help fill gaps in my roster. Problem was everybody has a stable of MR's so they don't carry much value.

wodi 08-13-2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmC (Post 4224951)
You have to take the best non-relievers (either starters or position players) in the first two rounds of the draft. There are so, so many relievers in the draft that there's no point in wasting a prime spot unless there isn't any more quality left in the non-reliever players. Having said that, far too often, quality non-relievers are all gone by the time round 3 hits.



I don't agree at all.... there are not sooo many relievers in the draft.

The good ones just last till rd 3ish because of how the game values starters over them. I am constantly editing players to add more relievers into the pool.

Edster007 08-14-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wodi (Post 4225356)
I don't agree at all.... there are not sooo many relievers in the draft.

The good ones just last till rd 3ish because of how the game values starters over them. I am constantly editing players to add more relievers into the pool.

I play historical, does the same hold true in Fictional drafts? Just curious if there is more balance in the fictional game. I am always left with the impression that every team has a stock pile of MR, if I shop a position player 3/4 of the players offered are MR. I have never felt that I had to edit to get more relievers in the game.

wodi 08-14-2017 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edster007 (Post 4225728)
I play historical, does the same hold true in Fictional drafts? Just curious if there is more balance in the fictional game. I am always left with the impression that every team has a stock pile of MR, if I shop a position player 3/4 of the players offered are MR. I have never felt that I had to edit to get more relievers in the game.



What do you mean by a stock pile? Are the relievers "true" relievers? Or are they just starters? And are some of the "true" relievers pitching in the majors?

Because the game just values starters over relievers, many times some of the good relievers will be left in the minors in favor of some 1 star starter to pitch in the bullpen.

Edster007 08-15-2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wodi (Post 4225957)
What do you mean by a stock pile? Are the relievers "true" relievers? Or are they just starters? And are some of the "true" relievers pitching in the majors?

Because the game just values starters over relievers, many times some of the good relievers will be left in the minors in favor of some 1 star starter to pitch in the bullpen.

Stock pile was a poor choice of words. What I am trying to say is there seem to be a lot of MR's in the game (whether they are or not). I chose 4 teams and mine and looked at each teams minor league rosters out of 186 minor leaguers on those teams 94 have their position listed MR.

As for starters in the bullpen, if I have young guy I project as a starter I may put him in the bullpen for a season or two as a middle/long relief to build his stamina. I just did that with Jimmy Key. Developing in the minors is hit or miss and depending on your roster. In many cases if you cant get a prospect on the ML roster quickly you either need to trade him or watch his skills evaporate. I had that happen with Kenny Hill because as you said I dont want a bullpen full of starters. I already had Key in the bullpen, Hill sat in the minors for two years and his potential evaporated.

wodi 08-15-2017 08:19 AM

Sure, I'm talking more about the CPU and the other teams in the league, not really about how we manage our teams.

Starters v. Relievers

Starters v. Relievers

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

(Does this link work?)

wodi 08-15-2017 08:21 AM

Computer Bullpen

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

Edster007 08-16-2017 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wodi (Post 4226029)

I see what you are saying. I am in 1991 in a sim I started in 1984 and almost every team has at least one starter in the bullpen, nobody with more than two.
I guess I was more leaning towards the original posters question about the value of drafting a MR and your point ties into it. There are so many on every team (as I mentioned one more than half the players in the minor leagues in my current sim are MR) if the AI is going to move SP into the bullpen the sheer number and the AI not using them decreases their value even more.

I don't count on the draft to build my team. My hope is to get one player who can contribute and use free agency and trades to build both my major and minor league roster


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments