View Single Post
Old 04-20-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 519x in 334 posts
The Base Ball Life of Patrick O'Farrell

After spending a considerable amount of time reading the enjoyable career histories some of you have taken the time to play and write up, I decided to embark upon a similar project of my own.

I decided to create a fictional player and insert him into a historical career league. I began with 1904, and quickly simmed two seasons to establish the league somewhat. The real story begins in 1906, with an 18-year-old infielder from western Massachusetts named Pat O'Farrell.

Patrick Joseph O'Farrell was born September 16, 1887 in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, the oldest son of Francis and Elizabeth O'Farrell. He stands 5'10" and weighs 165 pounds.

Francis O'Farrell is a fairly well-to-do attorney, and has expressed some misgivings about his son putting aside his education in favor of a career as a professional ball player. Pat promised his father that if he didn't make good, he'd return and enroll in college, and that he would attend classes in the off-season while he followed his dream.

In hopes that Pat would have a decent chance at a major league career, I made him a fairly talented player, a 3.5 star prospect. On the other hand, I didn't want to create a sure superstar, either, so his career might take some interesting turns.

His talent ratings as he begins his career look like this:

Contact Hitting: Good
Power Hitting: Poor
Eye/Discipline: Good

His actual ratings at this point are 2/2/2.

Patrick is a slick fielder, with A range at second base and shortstop, and an excellent baserunner and bunter.

I chose to place Pat on the Boston Pilgrims (soon-to-be Red Sox) for several reasons. One, I'm a Red Sox fan, and will enjoy seeing him possibly take the field beside Tris Speaker, Joe Wood, Duffy Lewis, Babe Ruth, and other Red Sox stars of the 1910s. The Bostons also have a "hole" at second base, so there's no established star blocking O'Farrell's path to the majors, if he has the stuff to make it.

I'll tell Pat's story through newspaper stories, letters to his family and friends, scouting reports, and other "sources."

I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by Big Six; 04-20-2003 at 06:01 PM.
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
gglennwill (05-03-2012), OakDragon (09-12-2009)