View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #664
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Thanked 960x in 619 posts
1988 NHL Offseason News and Notes

Here are the skating leaders from last season.

Here are the goalie leaders from last season.

Here are last seasons playoff leaders.

For the fifth time this decade, Craig MacTavish is the winner of the Selke Trophy as best defensive forward. Itís pretty safe to say that when he retires, Iím naming that award after him. Wayne Gretzky wins his 4th Hart Trophy and his first in 3 years. Doug Gilmour adds a Conn Smythe to his mantle.

Chicagoís Larry Robinson retires at the age of 36. Playing for the Blackhawks means you donít have much team success, but they were turning it around. This last season saw Chicago come very close to making the finals. Losing Robinson will hurt though. Larry finished his career with 11 double digit goal seasons. 724 points is a franchise record for defenseman. Larryís number 22 will be retired in Chicago.

Buffaloís Bill Hajt, a defenseman who spent his whole career as a Sabre has retired. He played 1280 games, registering 602 points and a 68 game rating. Heís 2nd all time in Sabres career scoring. Buffalo will retire his #22. Longtime Islanders goalie, Phil Myre is leaving the game at 39. He had a three year run in NYís net, registering a record of 112-29-9. Myre is the franchiseís career leader in wins and shutouts. The Islanders will retire his #1.

Winnipeg trades another stud defenseman.

Winnipeg at one time had incredible defenseman to build their team around. Chris Chelios, Scott Stevens, and Al MacInnis. Only one remains. Scott Stevens has been traded to the Bruins! Heís 24, and has 4 straight 60+ point seasons. Stevens also plays a great defensive and physical game. This is an amazing deal for the Bruins. Boston gives up Joe Mullen and a first round pick. Mullen is a 31 year old scoring winger, whose hit 40 goals twice. Heís been a point a game player the last few years, but I canít imagine him getting better. Heís a first liner at the moment, and if Winnipeg thinks this helps them win a cup next year, I understand it, but I donít like it for them. They give up the better player, whose 7 years younger.

Stevens heads to Boston.

The Rangers decide to trade Vinny Damphousse after a great playoff!

After 2 strong seasons with the Rangers, Vinny Damphousse is headed to Buffalo. A potential top line center, Damphousse was a key figure in the Ranger run to the third round of the 88 playoffs with 17 points in 15 games. Vinny is a really nice player to build around. Still only 20, his future is bright. I guess the Rangers wanted Jim Vesey. Heís 22 and looks like a 4th line center or checking line center. Heís older and less skilled then Damphousse. Heís got some offense in him, but it hasnít manifested into results yet. Hate this deal for NY. Doesnít make a lot of sense. The two players they receive don't have anywhere near the potential or substance they gave up.

The newest Sabre!

Teemu Selanne is the first European player to be selected first overall in the NHL draft. He goes to the Buffalo Sabres, who are one of 4 teams to pass on Mike Modano, who has the highest potential in the draft. Detroit snatches him up at 5! Itís a very talented draft, with potential stars all over the first round.

Two of the most talented players available, Sergei Zubov and Sergei Fedorov are selected back to back in the sixth round by Toronto and LA. I have no clue when and if they will come over to North America to play. We are getting closer to that period when Russians come over regularly, but I donít know how the game will handle it. Here is a look at top pick Teemu Selanne!

The Hockey Hall of Fame welcomed two player this year. North Stars star Rogie Vachon joins the hallowed halls. The 2nd winningiest goalie in NHL history, Vachon retired the year before Minnesota won the first of two straight Stanley Cups. Itís a bit ironic, that he and his teammate, the other inductee into Hall of Fame both missed out on the North Stars cup wins! Brad Park was a great defenseman. One thing I noticed while looking at his career was his 7 Hart trophy nominations. He lost to Marcel Dionne all the time!

The first team selected in the iron curtain draft, the Bruins, will sign 22 year old Russian defenseman Dmitri Mironov. A huge man, standing 6í4, 224 lbs, Mironov possesses a good shot, and a good brain. He will be solid right away, and looks to me like we will get significantly better with more time. Boston selected him 135th overall in 1984.

The LA Kings are the 2nd lucky team, and they just drafted Sergei Fedorov in the 6th round of this years draft. Heís the best qualifying player, and will immediately sign with the Kings. Fedorov is a 2.5/3.5 star player, so he will probably play as an 18 year old. His biggest asset at the moment is his defensive ratings. They are elite for an 18 year old. His offense isnít as good as you would expect, but that defense will make him very good right away!

The LA Kings have changed their logo and colours. Here is their new look.

George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
JaytheGreat (10-16-2018)