Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.4.40 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

OOTP Baseball 20 - AVAILABLE NOW!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support > Earlier versions of OOTP: Closed or Claim Fixed

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
Omnipotent_1
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Demo Installer crashing

Can't even get through the installer for the demo. I've tried redownloading the file, both from OOTP, as well as mirror sites. It freezes during "Configuring Windows Installer" and then just ends.

Windows XP, MC edition, SP2.
Dell XPS 600, Pentium D, 2.99G, 1GB RAM
Old 06-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Omnipotent_1
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
bump
Old 06-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 230x in 119 posts
That's really strange. Have you turned off all other programs running at the time of the installation?

OOTP Grand League Champion 2015
Old 06-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
TC Dale
Global Moderator

Thanked 105x in 59 posts
What are your desktop settings? You need to give us a bit more info than you are right now..

----------------------------------
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus- Mark Twain.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Omnipotent_1
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
My desktop settings? Not sure what that would have to do with an installation app., but I'll oblige nonetheless. 1152 x 864, 32 bit color.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
TC Dale
Global Moderator

Thanked 105x in 59 posts
See if your DPI settings are at 96 DPI and if that solves the problem.

----------------------------------
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus- Mark Twain.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:55 PM   #7
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 596x in 305 posts
Did this help?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
battists
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,526x in 604 posts
Personally, I would try downloading a fresh copy of the demo, and giving it another whirl.

Please let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Steve
Old 07-11-2006, 08:34 AM   #9
Omnipotent_1
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
I checked the settings as well as the DEP setting (it was already on) to no avail. The very first thing I tried was downloading a fresh copy of the executable file. When I try to run it, the installer begins to load, goes past the first progression bar and shuts down shortly after the start of the "Configuring Windows Installer" progression bar.

I wish someone could help me. I am quite bummed that I can't even try the game, having been an OOTP player since version 4.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #10
battists
Hall Of Famer

Omnipotent,

I'm so sorry this is happening. You're the absolute only person who has mentioned this issue, which tends to indicate there's something going on with your machine.

I'm assuming you've installed software using this account/PC combination before, and that you are an "administrator" on your machine.

Are you familiar with Windows Safe Mode? You could try installing in safe mode. If there's something on your machine conflicting with the installer, this could help avoid it.

To do this, you would do as follows:

1. Download a copy of the installer, and save it on your hard drive somewhere.

2. Reboot your machine. While the screen is still black, start hitting the F8 key until you get a menu that has Safe Mode. Select safe mode and hit enter. This will boot your machine in Safe Mode, which is a diagnostic mode that doesn't load all of the extraneous stuff that Windows likes to load.

3. Run the installer, and see what happens.

Hope this helps. If this is too techno-mumbo-jumbo for you, let me know!

Steve
Old 07-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
Omnipotent_1
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Yea, been there done that. Same result.

As far as installing on this PC, I've not had a problem like this with any other install app. I wouldn't consider myself an expert on everything PC, but am fairly tech savvy. This one has me completely stumped. I wouldn't be surprised if it is something quite simple but I can't figure what it might be.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #12
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnipotent_1
Yea, been there done that. Same result.

As far as installing on this PC, I've not had a problem like this with any other install app. I wouldn't consider myself an expert on everything PC, but am fairly tech savvy. This one has me completely stumped. I wouldn't be surprised if it is something quite simple but I can't figure what it might be.
Omnipotent_1,

I'm grasping at straws here, but...

What is the precise file size of the installer file, in bytes? (right click on the file and select properties)

How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

Have you turned off anything like virus protection or system doctor-type problems, before you install?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #13
battists
Hall Of Famer

We have a rule that states that Tech Support threads wherein we have not received a response within 7 days will be closed.

This one meets this criteria, so I'm closing this.

If you want to discuss it again, just PM me with the thread link, and I'll re-open. (Don't just say "Hey, reopen my thread." I need to know the URL, thanks!)

Steve
Old 07-20-2006, 04:32 PM   #14
battists
Hall Of Famer

Are you an admin on this machine?

Can you try installing in safe mode?

Can you try uninstalling, and installing a fresh copy of Windows Installer?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #15
Omnipotent_1
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Thanks for re-opening.

I am the sole user on this PC.

I have tried installing in safe mode. Same result.

I'll try the windows installer reinstall.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:01 PM   #16
Omnipotent_1
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Well, I uninstalled & reinstalled Windows Installer 3.1. No dice. Same result.

Last edited by Omnipotent_1; 07-21-2006 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:03 PM   #17
battists
Hall Of Famer

Omnipotent,

Unfortunately, I'm at a total loss here. There certainly seems to be something fundamentally wrong, and I suspect it's some sort of conflict within your operating system. It's hard for me to point to a trouble with the OOTP installer, since the exact same installer seems to be working for thousands of customers. I don't mean that in a critical way, it's just where my troubleshooting is leading me.

I believe at this point you'd be best off taking this up with a site that is strong in troubleshooting Windows issues, like one of the following:

http://www.tek-tips.com
http://forums.techguy.org/

That second site, in particular, is where I go for pretty much all technical problems I run into.

Beyond that, I'd be looking at reinstalling the operating system.

Steve
Old 08-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #18
battists
Hall Of Famer

Omni,

I'm sorry, I've been unable to come up with any further ideas. At this point, I believe the only possible next step, if you're still interested in pursuing the installation, would be to reinstall your operating system. I know that's not a great option, but unless you've been able to find a workaround using any of those other sites I mentioned, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas...

Steve
Closed Thread