Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 18.8.76 Update Available - OOTP 18 Available - FHM 4 Available - MLB Manager 2017 Available Now

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 Available!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 05-03-2003, 11:42 PM   #41
Psicosis
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
This is amazing. I have no idea how I missed this up to this point, but I'm glad I stumbled upon this tonight. Fantastic work, Big Six. You've really captured the atmosphere of the era, and it makes this already-gripping tale even more engrossing.
Psicosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 11:31 PM   #42
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 519x in 334 posts
Thanks for the feedback! I've had a lot of fun with it myself.

I've had too much to do lately to update the story, and I find myself going through a little bit of "withdrawal," in fact! Fortunately my wife shares my interests in baseball and history, and thinks Patrick's story is entertaining, so at least this time, she doesn't find my extreme interest in sports sims the least bit "crazy." She has an "obsession" of her own (cross stitch) so she understands how I can become engrossed in something like this.

Again, thanks for your interest in Patrick's career, and in the story. I was wondering if I was going to continue posting, but your support has convinced me to keep reporting!
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
deandean1998 (12-20-2011)
Old 05-04-2003, 11:51 PM   #43
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Excitement to share

Putnam Hotel
Huntington Avenue
Boston, Massachusetts

Mr. Charles Prentice
442 Park Street
Stockbridge, Massachusetts

July 1, 1908

Dear Charlie,

This is the first opportunity I've had to write to you since the All-Star game. By now I suppose you've read about it in the papers, and might even have heard the reports from some of the Stockbridge contingent who were able to take the train out to Boston. I wish you could have been there, but I certainly understand why you couldn't make it. I do hope your mother wasn't injured too badly in the accident, and please send her best wishes from me.

I know I'm a professional ball player, and I shouldn't let myself be awed by such things, but the experience of looking around the dugout and seeing so many of the best players in the game was something I shall never forget. I could hardly speak when Nap Lajoie introduced himself to me!

The grounds were more full than I've ever seen them. The grandstands and bleachers were both packed, and more rooters stood in the deepest parts of the outfield. I watched the first seven innings from the bench, as Lajoie started the game at second base. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to bat against Christy Mathewson, but he left the game after three innings. Matty didn't allow a run, and struck out four men.

I entered the game for Lajoie in the top of the eighth, with the score 3-1, Nationals. When I trotted out to my position, I heard a cheer from the crowd, and at first I was puzzled by the noise. Then I realized the cheers were for me! I tipped my cap to the crowd and tried to conceal my anxiety.

Joe Lake, from the Highlanders, was pitching for us at the time, and the first batter he faced was Bob Bescher. Wouldn't you know it, he hit a two-bouncer right to me, and fortunately I wasn't too nervous to make the play. That settled me down considerably, I must admit.

I came to the plate with one man out in the bottom of the ninth, against Sam Leever from Pittsburgh. I wish I could tell you I lashed his first pitch into left field for a clean single, but in all honesty, I never got a chance to swing the bat. One called strike, and then four wide ones, and Sam passed me. I did score a run, however, when Elberfeld moved me to third with his single and Keeler brought us both home with a double. Then Oldring drove one out into the midst of the rooters standing behind the rope in center field, and Keeler trotted across with the winning run. I wish I had a nickel for every straw boater that was ruined up in the grandstand!

Again, I wish you could have been there! My parents and Sarah took me out to dinner at the Parker House after the game, and we had a wonderful time. They spent the night and returned on the morning train on Monday.

The Athletics come to town next, and if we can take the series from them, we should be firmly planted in the first division! Perhaps when we play in our first World Series, you can come out to Boston and see all the games.

Tell everyone hello for me, especially Sarah, and write to me when you can!

Your pal,
Pat

Last edited by Big Six; 05-04-2003 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:14 PM   #44
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

The close of a successful year

Boston Herald , October 6, 1908

RED SOX COMPLETE SUCCESSFUL CAMPAIGN

Captain Collins' Boys Show More Ginger, Improve By Ten Games
Young Players Give Hope for Future

BOSTON--In 1907, the local American League affiliate stumbled home in a tie for last place, winners of only 70 contests, a generally uninspiring lot of players who all seemed too old, too young, too slow, or too unskilled to improve much on their performance.

What a difference a year can make! Jimmy Collins deserves the acclaim of all Boston for his performance this season, infusing the Red Sox with a dose of pep that made local rooters wonder if someone had taken the men who previously filled the Boston flannels and replaced them with entirely new recruits.

The most notable additions to the Red Sox squad were a trio of young players, all of whom spent their first full season with the big club this season. Two of them, pitcher "Tex" Pruiett and second baseman "Pat" O'Farrell, earned All-Star recognition for their fine play over the course of the first half of the season, and neither man let up much down the stretch, either. The third, flychaser Tris Speaker, did not show as well as the other pair, but displayed flashes of talent that made Collins swear he had uncovered the next Tyrus Cobb.

O'Farrell, a likeable Irish chap from the Berkshires, turned twenty-one in the last weeks of the season, but played the keystone bag like a man of far more experience. "Pat" customarily ranged far and wide, flagging down likely base knocks and turning them into outs. At the bat, the feisty O'Farrell was no slouch, either. He batted .281, with 47 extra-base hits, and drove 66 runners home, tied with "Gavvy" Cravath for the best on the squad. Also tops among Red Sox was "Pat's" 27 stolen bases.

Said Collins of his young second baseman: "O'Farrell showed as well as we hoped he would when we placed him in the lineup back in April. I see no reason why he will not continue to improve, as he gains experience."

(rest of article lost)
Old 05-06-2003, 11:31 PM   #45
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

A ripping good rookie year

Here's Pat's full stat line for his first full season in Boston:

G: 136
AB: 538
R: 63
H: 151
2B: 31 (tied for 4th in AL)
3B: 14 (tied for 6th in AL)
HR: 2
RBI: 66 (tied with Cravath for team lead)
BB: 44
K: 111
SB: 27
CS: 7
BA: .281
OBP: .336
SLG: .401
OPS: .738

He hit .307 against lefties, .270 versus righthanders.
His 47 extra base hits ranked 8th in the AL.

Defensively:
PO: 281
A: 537
DP: 100
E: 11
PCT: .987
Range factor: 6.20

The Slick Fielder award winner at 2B in the American League was Nap Lajoie. The Frenchman made 21 errors--almost twice Pat's total, in only about 80 more chances. Nap's range factor was 6.60, but I still think O'Farrell got hosed here.

Last edited by Big Six; 05-07-2003 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:39 PM   #46
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

A letter to warm a cold winter's day

Mr. Patrick O'Farrell
Amherst College
Amherst, Massachusetts

December 8, 1908

Dear Patrick,

I hope this letter finds you as well as yours of the 5th found me. I was sitting by the window of my dormitory, watching the snowflakes drift down, absentmindedly reading my American Literature assignment, when Mary came bounding into my room, bearing your letter. I had asked her to check my mail for me, since she was going to check her own, and while she had nothing in her box nearly as interesting as what she found in mine, she did have great fun teasing me about the letter from my "baseball beau." I blushed the same shade as your uniform stockings at that comment! Nevertheless, I am secretly quite proud to be known by that title.

I know I have told you this several times, but I still have the warmest memories of the trip I made to Boston with your parents last June for the All-Star game! I was afraid your parents, your father especially, might take offense at my attempts to enlighten them somewhat concerning base ball. I believe your father is much less bothered by your decision to pursue the career you've chosen now that he has observed your obvious talent. The idea that his son was recognized as one of the finest players in the entire American League impressed him, and as you have said, he values excellence in any worthwhile endeavor. Perhaps now, he considers ball playing such an endeavor; we can only hope!

I know I have also told you many times how proud I am of you, Pat, but allow me to say so once more! I never doubted you would make the major leagues, but I must admit I was surprised by how quickly you managed it! You told me once that you hoped to spend twenty years in professional base ball, and now it seems that you might spend that many at the highest level. Why, you'll only be a young man of forty when that milestone is reached!

I was flattered greatly by your invitation to attend the Christmas gathering at your parents' home as your guest, and I shall be more than glad to attend. Now, to find something suitable to wear, something fitting for me to wear while on the arm of the Red Sox' second baseman! The nonsense about ball players being less than respectable companions is just that, by the way, nonsense. Mrs. Collins, especially, is a most gracious lady.

I shall not bore you with such things any longer, but will close my letter with my best wishes for your health and your success in your studies. You will master American history as skillfully as you mastered the curve ball, of that I am sure.

I shall see you back in Stockbridge on the 21st, and until then I remain,

Yours,
Sarah
Old 05-07-2003, 10:51 PM   #47
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Ratings update for 1909

As Pat O'Farrell begins his second full year in the big leagues, his blue stars have changed to gold, marking his arrival as a bona fide major leaguer. He's a four-star talent at this point in his career.

His ratings have improved a little bit as well. He now has a 5 for Contact Hitting, a 2 in Power Hitting, and a 6 in Eye/Discipline. His ratings for running, stealing, and bunting are all A, as is his range at second base. At short, he rates a B, and if Jimmy Collins ever saw fit to put him out in left, he has an E with a C throwing arm there.

His scouting report, however, is somewhat less charitable. He's referred to as an "average player," who "will struggle against the league's top pitchers." That strikes me as strange, coming from the same scouting report that gives him four gold stars. The scouts do say the same thing about Nap Lajoie, however, so take that for what it's worth.

In another note, the Cardinals offered Ed Konetchy to the Sox for Amby O'Connell and the Sox, looking to plug a hole at first base, made the deal. The Boston management must feel that O'Farrell is a keeper, one who will be a fixture for the next decade, at least.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:44 PM   #48
messenjah
All Star Reserve

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Bump, haven't heard from you for a while, everything OK?
messenjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 12:28 AM   #49
I_Got_Wood_34
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 16x in 7 posts
wow. very well done.

good read.
I_Got_Wood_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 09:35 AM   #50
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, guys, and thanks for asking, messenjah.

I've been extremely busy the past couple of weeks, which is why Pat's story has been somewhat on hold lately.

Thanks for your interest in the story!

Last edited by Big Six; 01-04-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:15 AM   #51
Redhead_Alaskan
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Very nice stroy. I'm looking forward to more about Pat.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:48 PM   #52
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Redhead Alaskan. I've had time to play some more, and should be posting a few updates soon.

I had a little trouble with some stats getting a bit out of line, and had to take time off from Pat's saga to do some tinkering with the eras, so the number of home runs didn't spike too high. The first month of the season, too many guys were going yard for 1909; it seemed more like 1969, maybe.

I think I straightened it out, though, and the season totals should be pretty accurate, historically. I'm not trying for precise accuracy here, but I do want the feel of early-1900s baseball to be preserved. After all, I'd have set Pat's story at another time in history if I wanted more offense.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:40 PM   #53
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

A fine start

Boston Globe, Sunday, May 18, 1909

RED SOX WHIP ATHLETICS, 13-4
Bostonians' Barrage Contains 24 Hits

PHILADELPHIA: The vistors from Boston apparently forgot that they were playing ball in the City of Brotherly Love. The treatment they handed out to their hosts was neither brotherly nor loving, as they banished the esteemed lefthander, Mr. Waddell, from the mound with seventeen safeties in less than six innings. Collins' Speed Boys had already dented the dish eleven times at this point, which would represent their total output for the afternoon, and Dygert, the Rube's successor, would allow them two more tallies.

Every man in the Red Sox lineup hit safely, the veteran Buck Freeman topping the list with four. All but Parent and Gardner scored a run, the youthful Patrick O'Farrell doing so on three occasions.

"Pat" has been perhaps the most gingery of Collins' tribe this spring. His batting record shows a percentage of .328 after yesterday's play, and the long three-bagger he drove over Oldring's head in center in the fourth inning was his ninth of the year, best in the big leagues.

"I thought O'Farrell would hit the ball harder this year, and send a few more for extra bases, but he has exceeded our hopes this spring," Collins said of his second baseman, who was chosen for the All-Star Game in his first full American League season last year. "I plan to use him in the middle of the line-up occasionally this season." Indeed, O'Farrell has been written into the third spot by Collins on occasion, rather than in his customary position atop the order. In either slot, the Stockbridge native has been effective. When he bats first, he uses his speed to his advantage, stealing and taking extra bases; when he hits third, he seems to concentrate more on hitting the ball hard....

(rest of story lost)
Old 05-25-2003, 12:07 PM   #54
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

An even more special honor this June

The Sporting News, Monday, June 23

STARTING LINE-UPS ANNOUNCED FOR ALL-STAR GAME
Young Stars Take Center Stage for Both Teams

With the All-Star game slated for this Sunday in Chicago, the National and American Leagues announced on Friday the starting lineups for their squads. Both aggregations will feature a number of the most exciting young players in major league base ball today.

The Americans, managed by Hughie Jennings of the pennant winning Detroit Tigers, will take the field with four players of less than twenty-four years of age. Third baseman Frank Baker of Philadelphia, center fielder Clyde Milan of Washington, right fielder Ty Cobb of Detroit, and second baseman Pat O'Farrell of Boston are all tapped as the best in the league at their respective positions, and Baker is the eldest at age 23. For Milan and O'Farrell, it is their first opportunity to start the game, while Cobb and Baker earned this honor in 1908….

Following are the starting lineups for each squad:

AMERICANS
Clyde Milan, Washington, cf
Frank Baker, Philadelphia, 3b
Ty Cobb, Detroit, rf
Topsy Hartsel, Philadelphia, lf
Pat O’Farrell, Boston, 2b
Pete Lister, Cleveland, 1b
Simon Nicholls, Philadelphia, ss
Ed McFarlane, Chicago, c
Bill Burns, Washington, p

NATIONALS
Bob Bescher, Cincinnati, lf
Fred Jacklitsch, Philadelphia, c
Honus Wagner, Pittsburg, ss
Frank Chance, Chicago, 1b
Buck Herzog, New York, 2b
Tommy Leach, Pittsburg, 3b
Cy Seymour, New York, cf
Harry Lumley, Brooklyn, rf
Del Mason, Cincinnati, p

Missing from the Nationals line-up will be New York hurler Christy Mathewson, who would likely have been selected to start the game for his league. Matty is recovering from a sore elbow and will not return to the mound for another two weeks, according to New York sources.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:51 PM   #55
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

A supportive letter

(If your main interest lies in Pat's performance in the All-Star Game, he went 1-3 with 2 walks, scoring two runs and stealing a a base. The American League defeated the National League, 9-3.)

227 Elm Street
Stockbridge, Massachusetts

July 8, 1909

Dear Patrick,

It was wonderful to receive your letter yesterday, informing me of your performance in the All-Star Game last week. Would it surprise you to learn that I was already aware of many of the details of the contest? I purchased a copy of The Sporting News, and read accounts of the game in the Boston paper. So, you see, I have begun to come around to the realization that an afternoon spent following the fortunes of a ball-playing son is not such a bad thing after all!

I know how gratifying it must have been for you to be selected to start the game, and to be able to travel to Chicago with your teammates Mr. Cravath and Mr. Carrigan. Unless I misread the box score, it also appears that you played all nine innings as well, while several of the other players were removed for substitutes. I confess to being partial, but I can certainly understand why Mr. Jennings would wish to leave a player who had reached base three times in five chances in the game. The play-by-play account of the game in The Sporting News helped me understand the statement I have heard from the grandstand on several occasions: “A walk’s as good as a hit.” When you led off the fifth inning with that base on balls and promptly stole second, you may as well have hit a double.

The seventh inning must have been very exciting! A three-base hit, with runners scurrying around the bases, is one of the things I find most thrilling when I watch a game in person. That one Mr. Carrigan hit must have been a mighty clout, for as I remember, Bill is not a swift runner! You need not have feared he would run you down as you scored from first base, I am convinced.

Speaking of your friend Mr. Carrigan, I am very sorry to hear about his broken wrist, and that he will see no further action this season. Will he be permitted to travel with the team, despite his injury? I know you enjoy his company. Please pass my best wishes along to him. We have a young man in our firm now who attended Holy Cross with him, and he speaks as highly of him as you do.

I suppose I shall have to close this letter soon, but there is one more thing I wish to tell you. I did everything in my power to persuade you to pursue some other calling than that of a professional ball player. I always have, however, encouraged you to pursue excellence, and from my limited knowledge of the game, it does appear that you have been very successful. At the very least, those who know more about it than I do certainly seem to believe that is the case. I want you to know how proud I am of you, of your application of your talents to achieve success. And, I confess that there is some degree of pride in being the father of a man whose name appears in the papers with some regularity and for largely positive accomplishments!

When the team returns to Boston, your mother and I will make every effort to make a trip east to see a game. Until then I remain,

Affectionately,
“Dad”

Last edited by Big Six; 05-26-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:16 PM   #56
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Off to the Series

Boston Post, Sunday, September 28, 1909

WORLD SERIES OPENS TO-DAY!!

City Alive With Excitement as Boston Hosts Opening Two Games
New Yorkers Promise to Provide Strong Opposition

BOSTON--The streets of the city to-day are filled with people who care to discuss only one thing: the opening game of the World Series, which will take place this afternoon at the Huntington Avenue Grounds. The Red Sox, champions of the American League and darlings of the rooters, are matched with the New York Giants of John McGraw, kings of the National League.

No further tickets are available for either of the first two games of the Series, which will be played in Boston, but there will be several opportunities for aficionados of the national game to follow the action. A large mechanical board, on which the account of the action will be displayed, will be positioned outside McGreevey's saloon, located on Huntington Street. Similar displays are said to be planned for other locations around the city.

"Tex" Pruiett, the esteemed righthander, will work the first game for the Americans. His opponent will be "Christy" Mathewson, who despite injuries which plagued him throughout the season, must still be ranked among the game's finest. "Matty" has won seventeen contests against only five defeats, allowing fewer than two earned runs per game.

"Pat" O'Farrell, the Sox' second baseman, has never faced Mathewson, but has watched him work. When "Matty" faced the American Leaguers in the '08 All-Star contest, "Pat" had a seat in the dugout. "Mathewson will give us very few good pitches to hit," O'Farrell relates. "We have to be ready to take advantage of any opportunity we receive. Of course, Pruiett for our side is the same kind of pitcher. I would not expect too much scoring in this first game."

(rest of article missing)
Old 05-26-2003, 09:50 PM   #57
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

News for a former teammate

(Note: John Mason was a teammate of Pat's at Richmond, with whom Pat became friends. Mason never made it to the major leagues and retired from baseball in 1908.)

Putnam Hotel
447 Huntington Avenue
Boston, Massachusetts

Mr. John Mason
307 Selvidge Street
Dalton, Georgia

September 30, 1909

Dear John,

I had been meaning to write to you for some time, and I figured that this evening was as good an opportunity as I might have for some time. Tomorrow morning we will be boarding the train for New York, traveling there for the next games in the World’s Series. I am sure you have been following the results in the local papers. Allow me to add my own observations, if you will!

Even if these games were not the first two of a championship series, I would rank them among the most exciting ones I have ever encountered! Both of them went into extra innings, and both of them were won by the right team, from my way of looking at things. The pitching has been superb on each side, and both teams have played with such pep that the rooters have surely had a good deal.

The first game, on Sunday, we sent Pruiett out to face Matty. Both men were in good form, and neither side scored until the eighth inning, when Devlin hit one between Chadbourne and Speaker and circled the bases before we got the ball back in. We tied it up in exciting fashion in the bottom of the ninth, when Matty passed me and Speaker ripped a triple with two men out. The rooters nearly screamed themselves hoarse.

The 1-1 score held up until the FOURTEENTH inning! McGraw removed Matty, who had worked like a horse, and put in Marquard. We greeted him rudely, for sure. Heinie Wagner hit a double, and Pruiett went to the plate for himself. Tex won his own game with a base hit, and the rooters carried him off the field on their shoulders.

Today, it was Harris for us, and Wiltse for the New Yorkers. They scored twice off Joe in the top of the first, but we got one run back for him in our half. Wiltse is tough, but in the third inning, he had to leave the game, as his elbow troubled him. Taylor went to the hill, and he held us right there. Malarkey came on next, and he did the same, until, wouldn’t you know it, the ninth inning again! And, I am proud to say, I was the man who scored the tying run once again. Has my luck been running well, or not? I opened the inning with a single, stole second base, and scored when Cravath hit to left.

The eleventh was the lucky inning for us today. Chadbourne was the hero, when he drove in Konetchy with a double to win the game. Chadbourne got the ride to the clubhouse today, courtesy of the rooters.

Can you believe it? One game 2-1, the other 3-2. Fourteen innings one day, eleven the next. There have been only three errors in the two games, and none of them have affected the outcome. The play on both sides has been worthy of a World’s Series, for sure!

I hope we fare as well in New York as we have in Boston. We won’t have last ups, which have come in handy for us so far. I should end this letter now so I can get some rest, unless I am simply too nervous to sleep. None of the boys are going out drinking tonight, as they realize how important the next few days are. That World Series bonus will go a long way toward making things easier for me! Remind me to write to you about a girl I have become quite attached to in my next letter.

Again, I hope this finds you well, enjoying autumn back in the South. I wish you could be with us for this, as I am sure you do as well.

Your pal,
Pat
Old 05-26-2003, 10:09 PM   #58
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Just the facts: O'Farrell's 1909 stats

Here are the key statistics from Pat's 1909 season. His rank among the American League leaders is shown in parentheses after the statistic.

G: 146
AB: 550
R: 84 (T-3rd)
H: 167 (7th)
2B: 30 (1st)
3B: 32 (2nd)
HR: 2
RBI: 54
BB: 69 (2nd)
K: 63 (6th)
SB: 36
CS: 6

AVG: .304 (7th)
OBP: .380 (3rd)
SLG: .485 (1st)
OPS: .866 (1st)

Pat also led the league in total bases with 267, in extra base hits with 64, and in Runs Created with 104.3. As you can see, he's emerged as a real offensive force at the age of 22.

Defensively, at second base:

G: 142
PO: 304
A: 528
DP: 90
E: 11 (fewest among regular 2B)

FA: .987 (1st)

He also appeared in two games at shortstop, handling four chances cleanly.

For some reason, the Slick Fielder Award voters don't seem to like him. The award was given to Frank Isbell of the White Sox. Here are Isbell's totals for the season:

G: 138
PO: 347
A: 596
DP: 106
E: 31
FA: .968 (2nd)

I guess the voters are impressed with the number of plays Isbell makes and the number of double plays he turns. However, the Red Sox pitchers allowed fewer baserunners than any other team in the American League, which cuts down on O'Farrell's chances to turn two. And their pitchers struck out a higher percentage of batters than Chicago's did by a large margin, which means, of course, fewer balls are hit anywhere by batters facing Boston.

Last edited by Big Six; 05-29-2003 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:51 PM   #59
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

One game away

Boston Globe, Thursday, October 2, 1909

GLAZE SHUTS OUT NEW YORKERS
Red Sox One Game Away from Series Victory
Victory Costly, as Speaker Breaks Hand

NEW YORK-- The throng that packed the Polo Grounds yesterday for the third game of the World Series hoped to see the National League champions reverse the hoodoo that caused them to yield two leads to the Boston Red Sox in the ninth inning, setting up extra inning victories for the American Leaguers.

Instead, they saw Ralph Glaze, winner of 20 contests in the regular season, mesmerize the McGravians, holding them to a single hit in a sparkling 2-0 shutout victory. Art Devlin's sharp liner to left in the sixth inning was the only safety the New Yorkers could manage off the righthanded slants of Glaze.

The Sox scored their runs in the top of the third frame, when Glaze led off the inning with a base hit and scored when Parent bounced one into the crowd that rung the outfield, good for a ground-rule triple. Freddy scored when Larry Gardner slapped a ground ball to first baseman DanMcGann, who had no other play than to take it to the bag for the out.

The third inning also brought the darkest news for the Bostons this Series. Center fielder Tris Speaker dashed in to make a play on a sinking shot by shortstop Danny Shay, making the catch, but breaking his left hand as he tumbled to the ground. The fleet Texan is lost to the squad for the remainder of the Series. Said Speaker: "The pain is considerable, and I cannot move my fingers to grip a ball or a bat. I will have to watch the rest of this Series from the bench."

No doubt, a victory here tomorrow will ease Speaker's pain, as he and his teammates will return to Boston as World Series champions. The American Leaguers will send Big Bill Dinneen to the mound to face New York's Red Ames.

(Pat O'Farrell went 0-3 in this game, and was intentionally walked in the 8th inning. Defensively, he made two fine plays, one on a high hopper by speedy Spike Shannon that saved a run from scoring in the bottom of the 6th. Pat is hitting .273 for the Series (3-11), with a double, three walks and three runs scored.)

Last edited by Big Six; 05-26-2003 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:23 PM   #60
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

A surprise for the Red Sox

Boston Herald, Thursday, October 2. 1909
Special Baseball Edition

GIANTS' BATS AWAKEN
Mathewson is Surprise Starter as New York Wins, 7-4
Giants Hit Dinneen Hard, Record 14 Hits

NEW YORK--Wily John McGraw pulled one from his hat this afternoon, making a surprising switch that raised the spirits of his squad and sent the large gathering of rooters into a frenzy.

While "Red" Ames warmed up along the first base line, elsewhere in the Polo Grounds, another righthander was loosening his arm. It was Christy Mathewson, and when Matty appeared, his white duster blowing in the breeze, the crowd stood to its feet as one, loosing a roar that could be heard to New Haven. Matty was not at his best, as one might expect for a man who toiled thirteen innings three days earlier. He allowed eleven Red Sox hits and four runs, but his mates amassed more: fourteen hits, good for seven runs and a first victory for the National League champions in this World Series....

(rest of article missing)

*An uneventful day for Pat O'Farrell, who went 0-4, striking out once. Pat is suffering through a bit of a slump in the Series, as he's now 3-15 for the Series, and is hitless in his last eight plate appearances, with one walk.