Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 18.8.76 Update Available - OOTP 18 Available - FHM 4 Available - MLB Manager 2017 Available Now

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 Available!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > MLB Manager 2017 > MLB Manager Dynasty Reports

MLB Manager Dynasty Reports Tell us about the MLBM dynasties you have built!

Old 12-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #21
Paulie123
All Star Starter

Thanked 267x in 254 posts
16 November 2045

SCLhotstove.com/tittletattle
Sources: Magpies chasing Clemente and Harvey

Posted by Cassius Belch | Nov 16 | 11:02AM

The Des Moines Magpies are chasing starting pitcher Fernando Clemente and infielder Jeremiah Harvey, reports SCLhotstove.com’s unsubstantiated rumours correspondent, Cassius Belch.

As he attempts to bolster the shallow roster he inherited, Magpies GM Billy DePodesta is turning to veteran hurler Clemente and former #1 draft pick second baseman Harvey to address two of his pressing needs. Clemente, 33, threw a disappointing 7-16, 4.73 last season, but that was in front of a weak Lansing defense. It seems DePodesta is hoping Clemente will put up better numbers supported by the more dynamic Magpies infield. Harvey, meanwhile, has never quite fulfilled the promise that saw him drafted first overall by the Phoenix Raccoons in 2037. Fast-tracked to the major league level as a youngster and still only 26, he is a reclamation project in waiting, and DePodesta seems willing to take a chance on him.
Paulie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #22
Paulie123
All Star Starter

16 November 2045

Richarlison Valentinorossi
@whoateallthemagpies

Harvey I can see, but we want Clemente??!!?? Really??!!? Old man with ERA nearly 5.00 over last two seasons. Long season ahead.
10:56AM - 16 Nov 2017

Severino Guadalajara-Smith
@sabermetricjedi

But @whoateallthemagpies Clemente has nice 73% groundball, and BABIP nearly .320 last two years which cant continue. Admit xFIP is a concern but hardhit ball % offers hope #sabermetricsismyreligion #ilovebabip
11:03AM - 16 Nov 2017

Zebedee Stethoscope
@glasshalfempty

Told u all well b hopeless nxt yr #Magpies
12:18PM - 16 Nov 2017

Bart Wardrobe
@MagpiesMad

In Billy I trust! #keepthefaith #Magpies
12:19PM - 16 Nov 2017
Old 12-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #23
Paulie123
All Star Starter

28 November 2045

====================
SCLmagpiesnation.com
====================

Magpies sign free agent starter Hill

By Maggie Pye | 28 November | 202 comments

Billy DePodesta has made his first signing as general manager of the Magpies by inking lefty Del Hill to a one year contract reported to be worth $2.6m. The veteran has put up a career 4.25 ERA over 1023 innings to date, and last year went 9-10, 4.21 for the Sacramento Stingrays in a season split between their starting rotation and their bullpen. Hill’s electric stuff has seen him strike out 9.44 batters per 9 innings over his career, but his 4.07 BB/9 rate demonstrates his struggles with control. Insiders say DePodesta views Hill as a player who could carry value at the trade deadline.
Attached Images
Thank you for this post:
wodi (12-06-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #24
Paulie123
All Star Starter

30 November 2045

onlytheboxscore.com/Magpies
Magpies take chance on former #1 draft pick Harvey
Posted by Alan Amusing, @amusingalan69

He’s only been in the GM chair for five minutes, but Billy DePodesta has made what is one of the more intriguing moves of the offseason, signing former #1 draft pick and top prospect Jeremiah Harvey to a three-year, $2.6m per annum deal. Second baseman Harvey was courted by most SCL clubs when the Phoenix Raccoons took him straight out of high school with the opening pick of the 2037 draft. The Raccoons traded him to the Albany Firefoxes two years later, and his development stalled. Although he made it to the Firefoxes’ major league roster by the end of the 2039 season, he’s been only an average performer at the plate during his career so far. But he’s still young: he only turns 27 in a couple of days’ time. The Magpies are clearly hoping that Harvey may yet properly get it together at the plate. $2.6m per year looks a relatively low-risk gamble on a durable player who still carries plenty of upside potential.

Expect DePodesta to put Harvey in his favoured 2B position, and shuffle Orlando Gonzáles across to shortstop, pushing out last year’s starter there, veteran William Bird. Pundits predict that Bird may now find himself on the trading block, with DePodesta possibly seeking a left-handed batter to partner righty Matt Anderson as infield backup.
Attached Images
Old 12-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #25
Paulie123
All Star Starter

30 November 2045

GM’s notebook

- As soon as the Harvey deal was confirmed, I shopped infielder William Bird. Lots of teams were willing to take him, most wanting to dump salary or provide little value in return. Annapolis and Olympia, however, offered me young prospects. It didn’t take long for a deal to take shape with Annapolis.
- Annapolis get Bird, veteran catcher Jim Reid, and minor league reliever Tim Morgan. I get C Valentín Ortíz, prospect SS Juan MacNamara and minor league RP Richard Wilhelm.
- Ortíz is similar in ability to Reid now, but 15 years younger. He’ll back up Fernando Martínez at catcher. He’s solid if unspectacular both behind and in front of the plate. He hasn’t yet accrued any major league service time.
- MacNamara is just 22 and plays all three infield positions well. Scouts say he has good power and will develop a nice eye.
- Overall, with this trade I shed over $7.5m in salary, get a similar quality but much younger backup catcher, and a decent infield prospect. The Mustangs wanted the two veterans on the major league roster to mentor their bunch of young players.
- Switch-hitter Jacques Tanguay is called up into the left-handed infield backup role.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #26
Paulie123
All Star Starter

5 December 2045

====================
SCLmagpiesnation.com
====================

Martínes returns to Des Moines

By Maggie Pye | 05 December | 5 comments

Starting pitcher Ángel Martínes has reportedly rejoined the Magpies on a 2-year contract, thought to be worth around $1.3m per year. The move has not yet been confirmed by the SCL. Martínes had taken a dip in the free agent pool, but apparently didn’t like the temperature and jumped at the chance to get dried off and return to Iowa. He adds much-needed depth to the Magpies’ starting pitching and is expected to compete with Tommaso Chigi for the 5th starter role.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #27
Paulie123
All Star Starter

6 December 2045

(Reproduced courtesy of SCL At-Bat, the number one app for all the latest SCL news and scores)

Veteran Chávez latest arrival in Magpies roster overhaul
By Buster Oldknee, 10:12am, 6 Dec 45

Veteran lefty Jorge Chávez is joining the Magpies, according to SCL At-Bat’s Buster Oldknee. The Magpies were looking for an experienced left-hander to work as set-up to closer Manny Gallegos, and have moved quickly to make Chávez that man. He has a 68-67, 3.48 career record, and has just finished a season working as closer for Sacramento, where he racked up 43 saves. He has an excellent fastball-slider arsenal combined with superb command. His downside is a tendency to give up the long ball when he does occasionally let one leak over the heart of the plate. Now aged 35, the Magpies will be hoping that tendency doesn’t get any worse.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #28
Paulie123
All Star Starter

7 December 2045

Magpies pickup reliever LeBlanc and backup catcher Wilson
Posted by Oliver Punmeister, @punmeistergeneral1

Magpies GM Billy DePodesta is clearly trying to get his Christmas shopping done early this year. The club’s busy offseason continued apace today as they acquired two more free agents, reliever Willie LeBlanc and catcher Bob Wilson. Wilson, 33, is renowned for his absolute cannon of an arm, and will begin the season on the minor league roster, where he adds much needed depth at the catcher position. LeBlanc reached free agency for the first time this year, and put up a 3.56 ERA from 62 appearances for Olympia, for whom he operated as closer for most of the year. His arrival in the Magpies bullpen sees young reliever Luis Reyes pushed down to the minor league squad for more seasoning. Sources say DePodesta favours LeBlanc’s much higher groundball rate.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 AM   #29
Paulie123
All Star Starter

8 December 2045

GM’s notebook

- Fernando Clemente has signed: 2 years, $6m per year. Now we’ll see if my hypothesis that he put up better stats with a better defense behind him was right. I like his extreme groundball tendency, and how he uses his nice changeup to get hitters out.
- Clemente takes the 25th and final spot on the active roster. He’ll begin the season as the third starter behind Mal Brown and Del Hill.
- I’ve landed all the free agents I earmarked at the start of the offseason. I don’t think we’ll be contenders for a postseason spot next year, but the new arrivals have made us deeper and hopefully a bit better.
Attached Images
Old 12-09-2017, 04:36 AM   #30
Paulie123
All Star Starter

8 December 2045

Benedict Screenwipe
@benedictscreenwipe

Hard to keep up with all the comings and goings at #Magpies !! Anyone think we’ve got any better as a result?
5:54PM - 8 Dec 2045

Hank Blunt
@isayitlikeitis

@benedictscreenwipe No
5:59PM - 8 Dec 2045

Bart Wardrobe
@MagpiesMad

In Billy I trust! #keepthefaith #Magpies
6:06PM - 8 Dec 2045

Ignatius DeLorean
@myfriendscallmeiggy

These free agents: mediocrity all the way I’m afraid #alwaysnextyear
7:17PM - 8 Dec 2045

Last edited by Paulie123; 12-09-2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:38 AM   #31
Paulie123
All Star Starter

17 December 2045

Díaz signs extension through to 2049
Posted by Clementine Anorak, @geeeeek

Left fielder Guillermo Díaz has signed a new 3-year, $46.5m contract to remain in Des Moines until the end of the 2049 season. Díaz, who has a career .736 OPS to date, is entering the final year of his current $15m per year deal, and was expected to become a free agent for the first time next October. Sources say the club is delighted that Díaz has agreed to extend his stay, and hope that in a couple of years he will be a key cog in the next contending Magpies team.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:41 AM   #32
Paulie123
All Star Starter

31 January 2046

FANGRAPHICS
Chat: Osiris Sabretooth answers your preseason questions

Wonkydonkey: Osiris, despite all their offseason signings, I find it hard to see the Magpies contending. What’s your view?

Osiris: I agree. The rotation is a big question mark. They don’t have much after Mal Brown. DePodesta hasn’t really strengthened it at all. In his defense he’s hampered by the club’s budget problems and lack of prospects in the minor league.

OggleGoggles: Clemente is a big mistake for me.

Osiris: I wouldn’t go that far. Yet. He still has three good pitches and keeps the ball in the park. But yeah the jury’s out. I do like their bullpen though.

Polar the Bear: Were you expecting DePodesta to do much more of a rebuild this winter? It feels like he’s neither stuck nor twisted.

Osiris: I’m told DePodesta wanted to see how things went this season rather than rush into a big shakeup as soon as he arrived. But Jim Dillman is entering the final year of his contract, and I can see DePodesta cashing in on him and other vets like Roberto Marín at the deadline if the team is well off the pace.

Galactica: Sausages or burgers?

Osiris: Sausages. Every time.

Sue Sue Soothsayer: The Magpies were 78-84 last year. What’s your prediction for this time. I think slightly worse, 75-87.

Osiris: I reckon they’ll be content to get 78-84 again. I suspect the draft is much more important to DePodesta this year than the season itself. That’s all for now, folks. Until next time.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:11 AM   #33
Paulie123
All Star Starter

5 February 2046

(Reproduced courtesy of SCL At-Bat, the number one app for all the latest SCL news and scores)

Atlanta sign Lee and McCool
$101m deal for ace

By Buster Oldknee, 3:52pm, 5 Feb 46

The Atlanta Hurricanes have made a big statement of intent by signing the top free agent, the SCL’s top-rated starter Donnie Lee, just hours after earlier in the day confirming the arrival of all-star catcher Bill McCool. At $101m over four years, Lee certainly hasn’t come cheap, but the man who has gone 29-18, 1.89 over the last two seasons promises to be worth it. McCool is a superb slugger and has the SCL’s best name.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #34
Paulie123
All Star Starter

12 February 2046

To: Billy DePodesta

Des Moines Magpies Finance Department
BUDGET UPDATE SUMMARY

I am hereby providing a copy of the executive summary of the Magpies budgetary position for 2046 and beyond.

The front office has been tremendously successful so far this offseason in keeping the player payroll under control, and is to be congratulated. Our contractual obligations to the playing staff for this coming season has been cut to $161m, comfortably within our $180 absolute maximum limit. As ever, there is upward pressure to on spending over the following years, however. Under the assumption that all impending free agents are re-signed on their existing annual salary levels, our projected budget remains at an acceptable level next year, $171m, and in 2048, $173m. The picture for 2049 is too uncertain to be meaningful.

For consideration ahead of future budgetary planning, colleagues may wish to be reminded that the combined salary of our top three earners, Jim Dillman, Mal Brown and Roberto Marín, totals $67m. All are age 32 or over.

Agamemnon Profitloss
Chief Finance Officer
Old 12-10-2017, 06:15 AM   #35
Paulie123
All Star Starter

3 March 2046

GM’s notebook

- I had a sudden panic about my pitching depth, realising that prospect Gerardo Rivera was my best left-handed relief pitcher on the minor league prospect, behind Jorge Chávez and Robinson Ortíz in the major league bullpen. So I’ve signed veteran lefty Carlos Ríos as insurance on a one-year contract. Ríos started negotiations seeking $1.7m but I think quickly realised that was never going to happen at this stage of the preseason, and settled for $0.7m. Now age 34, he’s nowhere near the two-time all-star of old, but put up a 2.25 ERA over 22 appearances for the Sacramento Stingrays last year, albeit with a worrying 5.25 BB/9 rate.
- Our departed relief pitcher George Zimmerman is still on the free agent board, and there’s no sign yet of any team trying to sign him. It’d be very disappointing not to get the extra draft picks if he remains unsigned.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #36
Paulie123
All Star Starter

31 March 2046

FANGRAPHICS
Preview: Ruud van der Needlework looks at the Des Moines Magpies’ 2046 opening day roster

Rotation: Mal Brown (4*) is the pitching leader and much will depend on him. Veterans Del Hill (2*) and Fernando Clemente (2.5*) have joined from free agency. Lefty P.J. Hendrickson (1*) returns after a good year, while Tommaso Chigi (0.5*) is an unknown quantity as a starter.

Bullpen: Billy DePodesta has tried to strengthen his relief corps, but it still looks a weak link in the roster. Manny Gallegos (2.5*) keeps the closer role, with Don Rich (4*5) and the experienced arrival Jorge Chávez (4.5*) as setup. Free agent Willie LeBlanc (3*) joins Wally Richardson (4*) and lefty prospect Robinson Ortíz (2*) in middle relief. Alfonso Carranza (0.5*) gets the long-man job.

Catcher: Fernando Martínez (2.5*) is the incumbent, but trade arrival Valentín Ortíz could push him hard.

Infield: At first base, Roberto Marín (3*) will be looking to defy the ageing process and bounce back from a down year. Jeremiah Harvey (3*) brings plenty of raw talent to second base. Orlando Gonzáles (3.5*) moves across from second to shortstop, with 3B Carlos Zúñiga (3*) completing the starters. Defensive expert Matt Anderson (4*) and Jacques Tanguay (1.5*) are the backups.

Outfield: The strong outfield is led by left fielder Guillermo Díaz (4.5*). Bob Miller (2*) is a good contact hitter at RF. Dave Dodd (2.5*) and Bryan Lang (2*) will platoon at centre. Clean-up hitter Jim Dillman (5*) is the designated hitter, but can play CF well if needed.

FANGRAPHICS prediction: A repeat of last year’s 78 wins. The Magpies roster has principally got deeper rather than stronger this winter, so a postseason push seems unlikely. There are too many question marks over pitching strength and the ability of the lineup to consistently get on base.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:22 AM   #37
Paulie123
All Star Starter

1 April 2046

To: Billy DePodesta

Des Moines Magpies Scouting Department
PROSPECT REPORT

Baseball News Network has published its annual Top 100 prospects list, and I’m writing to summarise the findings for the Magpies organisation.

It is not a great picture. We continue to be in a poor position in terms of prospects, and have one of the weaker ranked farm systems in the league. We have just one entry inside the top 50, relief pitcher Robinson Ortíz, who has retained his #19 ranking. At age 24, and now on the major league roster, this will be his last appearance on BNN’s list. Reliever Gerardo Rivera remains in the 70s, and our first round draft pick from this year, catcher Walton White, enters the list at #57.

Our farm system has been poor for a number of years now, and we have not been very successful at developing players and moving them up into the big league team. I know it is your aim to bolster the number of good young players in the organisation at the same time as strengthening the major league roster, and I fully support that objective. It is imperative that we draft better than we have for a number of years.

- Robinson Ortíz #19
- Walton White #57
- Gerardo Rivera #77
Old 12-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #38
Paulie123
All Star Starter

6 April 2046

GM’s notebook - Series 1 and 2

Magpies 1-6 Baton Rouge
Magpies 1-2 Baton Rouge
Magpies 7-5 Baton Rouge
Santa Fe 3-5 Magpies
Santa Fe 2-1 Magpies
Santa Fe 7-1 Magpies

- Robinson Ortíz made his SCL debut in the opener against Baton Rouge, throwing 0.2 scoreless innings. Jeremiah Harvey went 0-3 on his first Magpies appearance.
- Orlando Gonzáles made his first start playing shortstop in the same game, but made 2 errors, yielding 1 unearned run. I expected his transition from 3B to SS to take a little time, but I’ll have to keep an eye on this.
- George Zimmerman has signed for Montgomery Cruisers, but we appear to not have been given a compensation pick, despite his Type A status. Or at least, SCL has not told us about it. What the heck?!?!
- Right fielder Bob Miller went 4-5 with a HR and a double in our first win.
Tommaso Origi looked good in his first start in the 2-1 loss to Santa Fe, going 8 innings for 9 H and 2 ER.
- Jorge Chávez had a debut to forget in the final Santa Fe game, giving up 4 earned runs on 2 hits and 2 balls and failing to retire a batter.
- Gonzáles finished the week with 7 errors from 43 innings fielding at shortstop.
- Harvey has still yet to get a hit. He’s 0-19 and has been moved down from 7th to 9th in the lineup.

Record: 2-4
Position: 5th place, 3 GB from Lansing
Old 12-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #39
Paulie123
All Star Starter

12 April 2046

GM’s notebook - Series 3 and 4

Magpies 5-4 Phoenix
Magpies 7-8 Phoenix
Magpies 3-0 Phoenix
Olympia 3-4 Magpies
Olympia 1-6 Magpies
Olympia 1-3 Magpies

- Del Hill threw 12 strikeouts from 6.2 IP in the series opener against the Raccoons.
- In a topsy-turvy second game, we turned a 5-0 deficit into a 7-5 lead, only for Manny Gallegos to royally blow the save in the 9th. Jeremiah Harvey finally got a hit, going 2-4.
- P.J. Hendrickson has made a fine start to the season. He threw 7 scoreless innings in the rubber game versus Phoenix and has a 0.77 ERA.
- St. Paul Rockets second baseman Sam Jordan recorded his 2000th career hit. The 32 year old is a nine-time all-star, and won the Western League Outstanding Hitter Award SEVEN years in a row from 2037 to 2043.
- Hill was excellent again as we completed the sweep of Olympia, putting up a line of 8.0 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K. The Wolfhounds have now lost 10 straight.
- Hartford Tarantulas, the 2043 SCL champions, have opened the season 11-1 and are on a 9-game winning streak.
- In our division, St. Paul are on a 9-game hitting streak of their own.
- The bullpen has started slowly, and have an ERA of just a shade under 5.00. But it’s still extremely early and it’s a small sample size.

These series: 5-1
Record: 7-5
Position: =3rd place, 2 GB from St. Paul
Old 12-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #40
Paulie123
All Star Starter

19 April 2046

GM’s notebook - Series 5 and 6

Magpies 1-0 Madison
Magpies 5-3 Madison
Magpies 8-3 Madison
St. Paul 2-3 Magpies
St. Paul 5-1 Magpies
St. Paul 4-2 Magpies

- After two previous rough starts, Fernando Clemente came good in the 1-0 victory over Madison, throwing 6.2 scoreless innings. Middle reliever Robinson Ortíz picked up his first career win in the game.
- Right fielder Bob Miller came out of the second Madison game with a bruised thigh, and will be out for a week. He won’t go on the DL; Bryan Lang will fill in.
- Matt Anderson is now playing at shortstop at least every other day, pushing the struggling Jeremiah Harvey out of the lineup. Anderson isn’t really hitting either (.597 OPS) but his defense is incredible. He’s like having a wall across the left side of the infield. He’s rated 10/10 for his infield arm, range, tendency for error, and turning double plays.
- We wrapped up the sweep of the Brown Bears thanks to a 5-run barrage in the 13th inning, which included catcher Fernando Martínez smashing a grand slam.
- Jim Dillman is red hot: he has a .397 OBP and .973 OPS.
- Although we end the week =3rd in the North Division we are also =3rd in the entire Western League. The division has been extremely strong so far: all five teams currently have winning records.

These series: 4-2
Record: 11-7
Position: =3rd place, 3 GB from St. Paul