Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.1.32 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

OOTP Baseball 20 - AVAILABLE NOW!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
neugey
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 121x in 70 posts
Perfect team has me thinking Fantasy Baseball sucks

With PT, I may have struggles, go on a losing streak or my pitcher might get shelled, but until it gets to August or September and you actually get eliminated it never feels fatal.

Roto is the complete opposite. I had Steven Matz starting and he got shelled for 6 earned runs to start the game and didn't even record a single out tonight. It just feels so fatal. I know it's a long season, but I am going to need countless scoreless innings to even start to account for that damage. Roto is such endless frustration. Almost impossible for a starting pitcher to get Wins because all the bullpens in the majors are garbage this year. Stolen bases are a blue moon occurrence. Days where my team manages to hit above the Mendoza line actually feel decent somehow. Whole thing makes me feel like current baseball climate is toxic for fantasy baseball. I shouldn't feel like quitting in mid-April.

/rant
Old 04-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
OMGPuppies
Major Leagues

Thanked 168x in 132 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
With PT, I may have struggles, go on a losing streak or my pitcher might get shelled, but until it gets to August or September and you actually get eliminated it never feels fatal.

Roto is the complete opposite. I had Steven Matz starting and he got shelled for 6 earned runs to start the game and didn't even record a single out tonight. It just feels so fatal. I know it's a long season, but I am going to need countless scoreless innings to even start to account for that damage. Roto is such endless frustration. Almost impossible for a starting pitcher to get Wins because all the bullpens in the majors are garbage this year. Stolen bases are a blue moon occurrence. Days where my team manages to hit above the Mendoza line actually feel decent somehow. Whole thing makes me feel like current baseball climate is toxic for fantasy baseball. I shouldn't feel like quitting in mid-April.

/rant
Way better than fantasy baseball because there is no draft. You have control over who is on your team.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Thanked 242x in 145 posts
I've played Yahoo Fantasy Baseball for the past 5 years, but this year I never started any teams because of PT. (I usually have three or four teams)
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
neugey (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #4
neugey
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 121x in 70 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
I've played Yahoo Fantasy Baseball for the past 5 years, but this year I never started any teams because of PT. (I usually have three or four teams)

Hindsight being 20-20, I probably should have done the same.
Thank you for this post:
<Pion> (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #5
bphilb
Bat Boy

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Both have their place, but when I am having a bad PT season it is over in a week. The historical aspect and community make it great, plus I love the idea of opening card packs. Fantasy gives you a reason to follow day to day baseball though and keep up with young players and injuries. Both are fun, but if your fantasy season goes bad you always have PT to focus your attention on.
bphilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
old timer (04-16-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 03:04 AM   #6
elutz31
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 38x in 22 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Way better than fantasy baseball because there is no draft. You have control over who is on your team.
I would argue this. While there is some luck factor to fantasy baseball with injuries, if you know what you're doing that's almost irrelevant. It's a skill to be good at fantasy baseball. PT is mostly luck with minimal skill. You either pay more to be better than the next person or you get extremely lucky. Sure there is some skill to micromanaging in PT and you'll generally be more successful that those who don't in your cap range. Once you're out of your cap range that skill goes bye bye and becomes a rumor. There was a rumor of a guy from another town who jumped 4 bricks and a stick once but never 5 bricks. You can't jump 5 bricks in PT.

I would argue fantasy baseball is better because of the draft. You have total control over who is on your team because of this. You also don't have 15 Mike Trouts in your league. PT you either spend money or grind out achievements to get points to spend on the auctions house to have control over who is on your team or get packs which you have 0 control over who is on your team.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy playing PT more than fantasy baseball but I also enjoy winning money and I can't do that with PT. I can with fantasy baseball.

Which begs the next question. Tournaments for money! Full PT universe without the lower duplicate versions of cards, live snake draft, once a player is drafted he's only on that team, 30 team leagues, random draft order, multiple money denominations to enter, house gets 10% cut for running it. Bring the joys of fantasy baseball and PT together as 1! April what?

Last edited by elutz31; 04-17-2019 at 03:05 AM.
elutz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
Boomcoach (04-17-2019), bphilb (04-19-2019), neugey (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 AM   #7
neugey
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 121x in 70 posts
Those are fair points elutz. I've calmed down a little and ultimately what frustrates me the most is I feel that I don't manage my team, it manages me.

When you have 24 active roster spots and only 3 bench spots and 3 DL spots for your whole team, it's a cluster for every owner, not just me. If a star infielder gets hurt and the real-life manager spends 4 days dicking around before putting him on the IL retro-actively, I'm screwed for those 4 days and my roster spot earns zilch.

If Yelich hits 3 HR's and 7 RBI's in a day, I can't even get pumped about it. Because I know the other shoe is going to drop and my team will get screwed in some big way at another spot. And there it was last night, without fail.

You could make the argument that the guy who will win my league wasn't simply the guy who did the best job drafting and updating his team. He was simply the guy who got screwed over the least by injuries and freak occurrences over the course of the year.

I used to resist the idea of DFS, but now I'm thinking that might actually be the better format. If I wasn't so occupied with Perfect Team .
Old 04-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
dkgo
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 171x in 89 posts
They arent really comparable to me.

I stopped playing season long fantasy years ago because I hated the rat race on the waiver wire and the need to constantly be checking my team. plus a few injuries to high draft picks and your team can be done by june with no hope left

daily fantasy is way better for me. dont feel like playing for a day or a week or a month and its no big deal. get to play different players throughout the season and different lineups depending on the format daily.

PT for me now is more of an investing game trying to build up long term but has gotten me to keep checking real scores every night to see what players are on the rise. meanwhile I set my ballpark to all the highest hitting factors with great batters and mediocre pitchers and watch the runs rack up every home game.

Last edited by dkgo; 04-17-2019 at 08:45 AM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
elutz31 (04-17-2019), neugey (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
CurlyKarkovice
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 49x in 31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elutz31 View Post
There was a rumor of a guy from another town who jumped 4 bricks and a stick once but never 5 bricks. You can't jump 5 bricks in PT.
Fascinated by this line haha.......Is this Ernie Harwell or Vin Scully? jk
CurlyKarkovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #10
CurlyKarkovice
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 49x in 31 posts
So much information out there, plus noise from loud sports opinion TV guys, breaking news sports guys and twitter rumors have turned season long fantasy (at least for football) into waiver wire management. Not very fun to me anymore.
CurlyKarkovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
neugey (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
elutz31
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 38x in 22 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyKarkovice View Post
Fascinated by this line haha.......Is this Ernie Harwell or Vin Scully? jk
When ESPN first started running adds for the X games years ago they had a commercial that seemed to run every commercial break leading up to and through the X games of some kids riding their bikes over a home-made ramp/jump with a few bricks under it. It had a The Sandlot feel to it. Just 1 of those dumb things that sticks in your head.
elutz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
CurlyKarkovice (04-17-2019)