Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.7 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special - Save 50% on OOTP and 60% on MLB Manager!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:51 AM   #1
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,224x in 2,379 posts
Results from the minor leagues' new extra inning rule

As was adopted for all affiliated minor leagues before the start of the 2018 season, in extra innings each club starts off the inning with a runner on second base. One of the justifications for this rule was to shorten extra inning games for fans.

Well, according to MILB, so far this season the rule change appears to be achieving its goal. This article from Ballpark Digest has all the numbers; the key data is summarized below.

In 2018, through July 1st, only eight games have gone longer than three extra innings, as compared to 162 games in the 2017 season and 183 games in 2016.

In 2018, through July 1st, 71% of games were over after one extra inning and 94% after two extra innings. In contrast, in 2017, 49% of games were over after one extra inning and 74% after two extra innings; in 2016, the figures were 46% and 71%, respectively.

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
"Yeah. Feelings are more important that facts!"
ó Penelope, Simon, Modern Educayshun
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,982x in 1,742 posts
It may be efficient, but it is still stupid, satanic, and spoiling the game.

Meeets!
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
ThatSeventiesGuy (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Thanked 633x in 323 posts
I'll be the outlier here....I like the rule for minor league baseball only. I mean, if you've ever sat in an Appleton, Wisconsin (then the Foxes) to watch Tom Gordon dominate, you really don't, even as a fan, want to sit there much longer than he's out of the game. I don't know anyone in A ball towns who wants to see 19 innings of baseball.

EDIT: My fear is if they try to do this to MLB....which I could see because again, I'm the outlier in that I would love a 20 inning game. The problem is the money in the game now demands so much TV that they have to resort to these gimmicks to make up the time lost to commercials. Combine that with the under 40 crowd who can't look away from a screen or go 3.2 seconds without instant stimulation (remember when as a kid...you'd sometimes be B O R E D?????) and I'm afraid this is coming to a major league park near you.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 07-14-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
Whoofe
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 41x in 29 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
As was adopted for all affiliated minor leagues before the start of the 2018 season, in extra innings each club starts off the inning with a runner on second base. One of the justifications for this rule was to shorten extra inning games for fans.
that's a BS reason. fans aren't captives, they can leave anytime they want

the real reason is to shorten extra innings for tv programming (even tho the reason most ppl that continue to have cable subscriptions is because of sports, not the garbage programming they spew out)
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Thanked 633x in 323 posts
It’s not BS. Saying it is shows a basic lack of understanding of how minor league baseball works.

Leaving anytime you want isn’t the same. You can also not go, and if someone doesn’t want to watch a four hour Missoula Osprey game, they just won’t go. Minor league baseball is not driven by TV. It’s is driven by attendance. Fans more and more won’t go if they can’t see a full game in under three hours.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 07-15-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,484x in 2,076 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Itís not BS. Saying it is shows a basic lack of understanding of how minor league baseball works.

Leaving anytime you want isnít the same. You can also not go, and if someone doesnít want to watch a four hour Missoula Osprey game, they just wonít go. Minor league baseball is not driven by TV. Itís is driven by attendance. Fans more and more wonít go if they canít see a full game in under three hours.

I agree. Good for minor league games and spring training games, not acceptable for regular season major league games.

My Fictional Dynasty: Orcin's Story ; The Sequel: Orcin Returns ; The Conclusion: Orcin's Brave New World

FREE THE MINOR LEAGUE DATABASE!!
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
Green & Gold Heart
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 331x in 237 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
I'll be the outlier here....I like the rule for minor league baseball only. I mean, if you've ever sat in an Appleton, Wisconsin (then the Foxes) to watch Tom Gordon dominate, you really don't, even as a fan, want to sit there much longer than he's out of the game. I don't know anyone in A ball towns who wants to see 19 innings of baseball.
Green & Gold Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Airdrop01 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #8
kq76
Global Moderator

Thanked 889x in 502 posts
I'd rather they just call games a tie after 12 innings because I don't ever want to see it in the majors, but whatever, it's only minor league baseball and if it stays there then fine. I've gone to a few minor league games that have gone to extras and plenty of people go home after 9, but before the game is decided. I've left after a couple extra innings too. It's not that big of a deal to not see the end of the game. It's not like you feel robbed of not seeing the winning run. You still saw 9 innings of baseball.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
Antonin
All Star Starter

Thanked 377x in 233 posts
I don't like this new rule at all for minor leagues and certainly not for the majors. Starting off with a runner on second base seems almost like...like it's not real baseball.

RIP David Bowie [January 8, 1947 - January 10, 2016]

RIP Mike Hudson [1956-October 27, 2017]
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Whoofe (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #10
knightdreamer2k
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 42x in 33 posts
I'm am going to really go against the grain. I have no problem with the way it is but I do understand that the game has to evolve and change to match society. I wouldn't complain if it came to the majors. I would just rather start having ties in the regular season after 12 innings though.

I don't like extra long inning games. My reasoning is the it causes harm to all parties involved. For the teams they burn though pitchers, and player fatigue, which can extend out through the week. For fans typically when games go on this long it is because of low scoring so the game gets boring, and you just get to a point you want to see someone win to go home or turn it off if you are invested.

The game is going to have to change whether traditionalist like it or not.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:50 AM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,311x in 1,997 posts
Well, the NHL managed to water down their game with the shootout (no disrespect to those who favour it), no doubt given time, MLB will find a way to do the same.

I can see it now - if tied after 9, play 3 extra innings. If still tied, each team sends 3 batters to the plate who each get 3 pitches. The team that hits the most HR's in the "Bat-Off" wins the game. If it's still tied, each team gets a 1/2 victory.

Now, how can we screw up the NFL Overtime problem?