Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.7 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 07-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #21
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Thanked 589x in 329 posts
November 20th, 2020

As free agents file across baseball, the Sharks are still in a holding pattern as baseball's worse team over the last two seasons stares a third sub 50 win season in the face. At 48-114, the Sharks "improved" 8 games from their first season, for whatever that's worth. With the organizations first few prospects trickling up to AA Clarkesville for 2021, the light is squarely on the horizon, but it remains to be seen how GM Tejesh Patel will navigate the waters now. He offered precious few clues at the clubs end of the season presser.

"Ultimately, it's up to the players as to when they're ready. When the production reaches a level where they're knocking the door down, they'll be up, not a second before that. If it's not obvious yet, let me make it so - we are not in the business of appeasing anybody, including Brad [Elorriaga, Sharks principal owner]. Obviously Brad is not thrilled with 88 wins across two seasons, who would be? I'm not. But he understands, as I do, that to want more... to expect more, is to sabotage the future. That picking anywhere but first would be a tremendous disservice to our fans. That not cashing in on a Ronald Guzman [who only hit .304/.368/.512/.880 with 30 2b and 30 HR this season], while it would provide somebody to come see for fans, would also deprive us, in large part, of the talent we need to really put a great team out there on the field for those fans, just... not now. The Sharks got three quality prospects for Guzman, in large part. And while the two pitchers struggled [Wesley Scott earned a demotion after posting a 5.43 era in Scottsdale, as did Blake Adams by posting a 5.19 era in Scottsdale, and actually pitching worse in Dumas (5.35 era)], the third prospect we traded for there, Aaron Bracho, had a solid season as a 19 year old [.274/.333/.445/.779 in Scottsdale]. We are still in talent collection mode. We do not expect 2021 to be much better, to be perfectly frank. Or, to be quite honest, 2022. But it doesn't take a genius to see what we've got in the system, and what we're looking at with another first pick, and potentially two more in 2022 and 2023. We continue to ask for patience. Thank you."

The Sharks, in that vein, signed five more prospects from domestic/foreign leagues in October. The only one of any real note is a closer, Mikey York.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:49 AM   #22
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Here is how the Sharks four full season affiliates line up entering the 2021 season, as well as the Sharks opening day roster.

GM Tejesh Patel, for the first time in his tenure with Las Vegas, sounded upbeat about the major league team as he addressed the media before the 2021 season began.

"If all goes according to plan, and that is a big IF, granted, but if it does, we expect to graduate the first prospects of any import to the major league team this season. As I've stated previously, they have to knock that door down, but if they do - it wouldn't be out of the question to see several making their debuts sometime in mid July. The caveat there is that the production must be there, and our coaches must be certain they are ready for the next level, and ultimately the majors. We are extremely excited for the next two seasons, as the fruits of all of our labor will start to blossom. We're still in talent collection mode, but that light I spoke of last winter is much closer than I, or anyone, really expected it to be."

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Thank you for this post:
tenthreeleader (07-16-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #23
tejdog1
All Star Starter

July 4th, 2021

Las Vegas (NV) -- The Sharks took their first few tentative steps towards respectability on June 28th, when they promoted outfielders Jake Mangum (.299/.419/.460/.879 in 110 PAs in AA; .315/.428/.438/.866 in 184 PAs in AAA) and Cole Brannen (.355/.479/.487/.966 in 97 PAs in AA; .356/.433/.582/1.015 in 204 PAs in AAA) from AAA Medford to the majors. Shortstop prospect Yu-cheng Chang, who had a 82 PA cameo in the majors in 2020 (.304/.402/.609/1.011) was recalled for good, according to GM Tejesh Patel, after Chang hit .269/.380/.466/.847 in 309 PAs in AAA.

Prior to that, the Sharks conducted their first year player draft, and once again added significant talent to the organization, going the pitching route for 4 of their first 6 picks, the exceptions being outfielder Jarred Kelenic (2nd round, 54th overall) out of college, and third baseman Nick Bitsko (2nd round, 56th overall) out of high school.

And just today, the Sharks announced the signing of Luis Cabanillas out of the Dominican Republic to a minor league contract with a $5m signing bonus. In addition, the Sharks traded A ball pitcher Tyler Hallead to the Texas Ranger for AAA LF Mark Contreras.

So, the farm system continues to get stronger and stronger, despite some minor setbacks with players not performing as hoped for. Patel still sounds upbeat, especially with the Sharks not sitting in last place (34-52, .395, fourth place, NL West), the first time they haven't occupied the cellar this late into a season.

"Players progress at different rates, and we totally understand that. As I've said repeatedly, we're not going to be rushing prospects to the majors just to say "look at us! Those bad years paid off!!!", that's how you ensure these base years DON'T pay off. Brannen and Mangum did more than enough to hit their way to the majors, so they're up now. Chang did the same. Some of our other prospects? Have parts of their game they need to work on, and that's fine. We're still extremely excited, of course, by their potential. We're in no rush whatsoever."

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #24
tejdog1
All Star Starter

July 24th, 2021

The Las Vegas Sharks (43-60) today announced a pair of roster moves. Luis Cedeno was placed on the 60-day DL with shoulder inflammation, ending his season. In addition, reliever Sarkis Ohanian was optioned to AAA Medford. The contracts of Baden Steedman (5-0, 3.10 era in AAA, 36 games, 49.1 ip, 32 h, 17 er, 4 hr, 25/66 bb/k) and Mikey York (2021 minors: 7-1 in 38 games, 40 ip, 29 h, 5 er, hr, 10/42 bb/k) were purchased, and both players were added to the 25 man active roster.

In addition, the Sharks purchased four players from the Australian Baseball League, the most notable of whom is starting pitcher Domenic Colenutt.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #25
tejdog1
All Star Starter

The Sharks (46-64) made a pair of trades, just minutes ahead of the 4pm trading deadline, shipping starting pitcher Tyler Watson (8-6, 3.06 era, 21 GS, 117.2 ip, 102 h, 40 er, 7 hr, 40/73 bb/k, 2.3 WAR), along with a pair of lower tier prospects to the St. Louis Cardinals for three prospects. Catcher Thomas Dillard, closer John McMillon and second baseman Luke Ritter.

Most notably, the Sharks flipped first baseman Rowdy Tellez (.316/.404/.636/1.040, 19 2b, 24 HR in 339 PAs) to the Dodgers for 25 year old AAA infielder Randy Rodriguez (.337/.429/.534/.963 in AAA), then immediately purchased Rodriguez' contract, promoting him to the major leagues as a third baseman.

A source close to Sharks general manager Tejesh Patel insisted the 37 year old did not want to, and was not going to, part with Tellez but Dodgers GM Farhan Zaidi kept on upping the ante, desperate to land the first baseman, until Patel felt he had to bite on the offer. Patel would not comment, aside from saying that he was still focused on the future of the Sharks.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #26
tejdog1
All Star Starter

The Las Vegas Sharks ended 2021 with too much success, according to sources within the Sharks organization who are close to general manager Tejesh Patel.

"Patel was not at all happy with the Sharks relative success this season." an anonymous source told me about the third year franchise' 74-88 season. "He feels that not only does he lose out on another number 1 pick (The Sharks are projected to pick 11th in 2022), he also now faces expectations that, in his eyes, come a year too early."

When I reached Patel for comment, he was obviously surprised by the leak, but, as he always is, he was gracious with his time, and also measured with his words.

"Obviously I'm not stark raving POed, right? Like... this wasn't a projected 93 win team that won 74, but it is true that this season throws... several... complications into the equation which otherwise would not have existed had we won 55 or so. The fact of the matter is this DID come a year too early, so in that regard, yes, I suppose I am in a very unique position to complain about too much success. Our pythag was 62 wins, but that's not going to fly anywhere, people will see 74, coming off 40 and 48, and expect a big jump again next season. We're baselining it off 62 internally, though. That doesn't mean we won't be improving the major league product, we ARE firmly pursuing that path. I just want people's expectations adjusted slightly downwards. If things break correctly for us, we may sniff the wild card race. I sincerely hope we do."

After explaining his side of things, we got into a rapid fire Q&A about several prospects who had not made the majors yet. I've compiled his answers.

"[Jai] Helmrich got off to a very slow start in AA (.263/.305/.428/.733 thru 48 games), he was not promoted just to be promoted, his final 18 games he hit to a .900 OPS, he made those adjustments he needed to, and we promoted him in the midst of a hot streak, which definitey carried over to Medford (.319/.367/.558/.924 in 58 games at AAA). The plan is to let him get off hot again next year, and then promote him. We feel he's got the chance to be the best second baseman in baseball."

"[Andy] Manning [first overall pick 2020] is a very ... unique case, where his eye may actually be hurting the rest of his game in the minors. He hit to a sub .800 OPS in AA, and then barely over .800 in AAA, but he drew 96 walks to 71 strikeouts across the two levels. He may just be too good for minor league pitchers in that area, while being subpar at actually hitting (.260 in AA, .249 in AAA, with OBPs over .400 at both levels). He may need to finish the process of developing in the majors, but, like with Helmrich, we'll give him four to six weeks in AAA next year to see if it all clicks for him. He's got a chance to truly be an elite player in this league."

"[Arturo] Escamilla [first overall pick 2021] was essentially half developed when we drafted him. The staff at Cal Berkley deserve a lot of the credit for Escamilla. However, and this may be my bias, but I've seen what happens when you put the rush job on high tier college starting pitchers, particularly when you want them to work on a pitch as well [the Sharks wanted Escamilla to work on adding a slider to his arsenal]. So we capped him in AA this year. He shouldn't require much more in the way of polish, perhaps 5, 8 more starts, likely all in AAA. So as with Helmrich and Manning, perhaps in five or six weeks he'll be in the majors."

"[Patrick] Simmons [first overall pick 2019] has dealt with several long term injuries during his minor league career (bone chip surgery in May of 2020, and a torn back muscle in August this year), but he's still made it to AA. I... suppose taking some positives from the time he's spent in rehab, he has worked on his core and put on 25 pounds of muscle in the 2.5 seasons he's been a pro, which has enabled him to add a couple of ticks to his already plus fastball. It's just a question of finding the right training regiment which enables Patrick to be injury free, and allows his natural talent to flow. We are very much looking forward to Arturo, Patrick, and Kendall at the top of our rotation. Since he only got 10 innings in AA before tearing his back muscle, Patrick will, in all likelihood, be opening 2022 back in AA, but we expect him to come very quickly."

"[Kendall] Williams [third round, 91st overall pick, 2019] had a phenominal 2021, starting in Scottsdale (mid A, lowest full season affiliate, South Atlantic League) and ending in Clarkesville (AA, Eastern League). We aggressively assigned him to Scottsdale in 2020, and he held his own, but we felt an easier assignment would benefit him, so we demoted him to Dumas (low A, New York Penn League), where he flourished. This season he blasted through Scottsdale (3-0, 0.71, 25.1 ip), performed very well in [King of] Prussia (high A, California League) (4-2, 3.70, 48.2 ip) and then did the same in AA (5-1, 2.03, 48.2 ip). We expect a similar timetable to Arturo, mid to late May."

"[Philip] Clarke [second round, 54th overall pick, 2020] had a very uneven season, but he made it to AA (composite .275/.336/.395 across two levels). Catchers do take additional time to develop, and we're prepared to be very patient with him, as he has franchise catcher level upside. We're very happy with how he's handled the myriad of talented pitching prospects, and most rave about his game calling and ability to handle the running game. He's another one that we're very excited for, though, as with most catchers, his development time may be longer, simply due to all of his other very important responsibilities. Patience is the key with Clarke."

"Overall we're extremely excited by the talent that's just on the horizon, but I think you can see why I said I was mildly upset by the 74 win season we had. I would have preferred another top 3 pick, but it is what it is. Brad [Elorriaga] and I are committed to putting a productive environment for our prospects to graduate into. This offseason is easily the most important one we've had to date, and we will not be anything less than aggressive."

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #27
tejdog1
All Star Starter

-- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE --

December 2nd, 2021

The Las Vegas Sharks today announced they have signed Taiwanese free agent infielder Lao-Sheng Fung to a 4 year contract worth $100,000,000. The general manager of the Sharks said the following in a statement:

"Fung will be starting his career as a shortstop for us, anchoring our infield. We spoke to Yu-cheng Chang, and he was more than happy to slide over to second base for his fellow countryman. We are extremely excited by this signing, and feel that this will show fans, media, and players in our clubhouse that we do stand ready and willing to put a winning product on the field."

Fung, 31, is a career .344/.467/.775 hitter in Taiwan

------

Sidenote: OOTP actually doesn't generate statistics for established IFAs (the ones that hit the free agent market in the offseason). I made up some numbers, after looking at the editor and seeing what his projected ML line is. That might be a neato feature for OOTP20?

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Last edited by tejdog1; 07-18-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #28
tejdog1
All Star Starter

December 21st, 2021

The Las Vegas Sharks today announced the acquisition of two relievers, and a starting pitcher, free agent reliever Jian-cheng Miao from Taiwan, reliever Jamie Callahan, who was dealt from the Sharks to the Red Sox at the trading deadline in 2020, and starting pitcher Marcos Stroman from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Maio, an established professional from Taiwan, was signed to a 3 year, $34.5 million contract with a club option for 2025 for $17 million, else $4.5 million buyout, bringing the guarantee to 3 years, $39 million.

Callahan, 27, has pitched parts of four seasons in the major leagues, posting a 4.12 era across 177 innings. The Sharks traded 22 year old low A LFer Seb Rackham, 24 year old high A 2b Luke Ritter, high A SP Wesley Scott, low rookie LFer Seb Jeffes, and low rookie SP Jai Mullet, along with $2,000,000 in cash. In return, the Red Sox traded Jamie Callahan and 20 year old low A SP Mike Dake to the Sharks.

Stroman, 30, is an established major league starter with the Toronto Blue Jays, Houston Astros, and Arizona Diamondbacks, with a career 3.88 era in 1200 innings. The Sharks shipped shortstop Yu-cheng Chang, low rookie CFer Juan Ayala, low rookie SP Ben Hartwell and low A SP Mike Butler to the Diamondbacks for Stroman.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #29
tejdog1
All Star Starter

According to one major prospect publication, the Sharks have traded away the 47th, 91st, 142nd and two UNR prospects to the Red Sox, and then three unranked prospects to the Diamondbacks in a straight salary dump. The Sharks still, far and away, have the best farm system in baseball, boasting 7 of baseball's top 10 prospects (1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10),

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #30
tejdog1
All Star Starter

January 22nd, 2022

The Las Vegas Sharks announced today the signing of free agent starting pitcher Bi-jun Niu from Taiwan. Niu, 26 years old, is a 5 year veteran of the Taiwanese professional league, and owns a career 91-16 mark in five seasons with an ERA of 1.64. Niu received a 5 year, $140 million contract with the following terms: 26.5/26.5/29/29/29. Also included in the deal are a pair of team options valued at 32.5/35m with 4.5m buyouts on each.

The Las Vegas Sharks payroll now stands at just over $81 million.

The Sharks also announced the signing of minor league free agent 1b Jian-gang Siew to a minor league contract with a corresponding $1.25 million signing bonus.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #31
tejdog1
All Star Starter

February 2nd, 2022

The Las Vegas Sharks concluded their offseason in stunning fashion, signing free agent reliever Zach Britton and trading for pending free agent James Paxton.

To acquire Paxton, the Sharks traded away two prospects, mid A SP Zion Autman, and high A RFer Cole Turney. Paxton, 33, is a free agent after the 2022 season.

Britton, 34, steps into the closer's role, held during the last two seasons by Jared Miller. Britton was signed on February 2nd to a 3 year, $25.75 million deal (6.5/8.75/10.5) with a vesting option for $13.5 million requiring 70 innings pitched in 2024.

"We honestly felt we were done after signing Niu, but just the other day, Brad [Elorriaga, Sharks owner] came down to my office and asked if I felt good about the roster. I mentioned we could use another starting pitcher, and he told me to explore opportunities and bring them to him, with no restraint on money. The best pitcher left on the market was Paxton, and with no financial restraints, I went and asked Seth [Etherton, Mariners GM] what it would take, then brought it back to Brad, who approved us going significantly over budget to land Paxton. Brad deserves a lot of credit for putting us in this position, first with his patience through the first two seasons we had, and then with his approving of my aggresive stance during this offseason. We are now done."

The Sharks enter 2022 with a payroll of $113 million

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #32
tejdog1
All Star Starter

May 6th, 2022

The Las Vegas Sharks (21-13, first place NL West) today announced they had called up their top prospect, starting pitcher Arturo Escamilla (4-0, 1.25 era in 5 GS, 36 ip, 22 h, 5 er, 2 hr, 9/42 bb/k), from AAA Medford. To make room for Escamilla on the 25 man roster, Jose Rafael Lopez (2-2, 4.65, 6 GS, 31 ip, 39 h, 16 er, 4 hr, 17/22 bb/k) was optioned to Medford.

"We're very excited to promote the first of many prospects drafted by the Sharks to the majors. THIS is what the first two seasons were for. Escamilla, and the myriad of prospects behind him, will form the core of what is sure to be a great Sharks team. Further promotions will occur through the season, as prospects prove themselves ready to make that final jump." Sharks general manager, Tejesh Patel, said in a statement.

Six days later, on May 12th, the Sharks purchased the contract of first baseman Andy Manning (.240/.394/.420/.814) from AAA Medford, and promoted him to the majors. To make room on the 25 man roster, infielder Ryne Birk (.258/.378/.484/.862 in 37 PAs) was demoted to Medford.

"Our hope is Birk doesn't sulk down there, but goes out there and hits like he wants back in the majors. If he does that, things will take care of themselves." Patel said in a statement.

The Sharks 40 man roster stands at 39 with the addition of Manning.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Last edited by tejdog1; Yesterday at 07:50 PM.
Old Today, 01:48 AM   #33
tejdog1
All Star Starter

June 14th, 2022

The Sharks today announced a slew of roster moves:

center fielder Cole Brannen landed on the 10 day DL with a fractured thumb, suffered on June 10th

catcher Erick Castillo was Designated for Assignment

catcher Philip Clarke (.321/.424/.444/.869 in 100 PAs in AA this season; .364/.458/.596/1.054 in 120 PAs in AAA this season) had his contract purchased by the Sharks, he was promoted to the major leagues

second baseman Jai Helmrich (.231/.337/.378/.715 this season in AAA, 23/28 BB/K, 11/13 SBs, 12 XBH) was promoted to the major leagues.

shortstop Aaron Bracho (.287/.333/.419/.752 in 150 PAs in AA; .307/.388/.427/.815 in 86 PAs in AAA) was promoted to the major leagues

shortstop Lao-sheng Fun was moved temporarily to center field.

second baseman Forrest Wall (.275/.327/.397/.724) was demoted to AAA Medford.

"Initially, we're going to roll with Bracho leading off, with Helmrich hitting 6th, and Clarke hitting 5th. Manning, due to his superior eye, will be hitting 9th for us, and functioning as a second leadoff batter." Sharks (general) manager Tejesh Patel said in his pregame press conference. "We're very excited to see how these guys perform on the big stage."

The Sharks are 43-27, sitting in first place in the NL West, and are selling out home games. Patel let us in on a promise he made to himself when he took this job.

"I promised myself that when we got good, I'd freeze ticket prices for one season as a thank you to fans for putting up with our bull****. I did somewhat renege on that promise, prices are up 23.7% from last year ($11.75 vs $9.50), but they are still the lowest in the league, by far. We... I... feel we owe the fans for their loyalty through the first 3 seasons."

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old Today, 11:12 AM   #34
tejdog1
All Star Starter

The Sharks today concluded their 2022 draft, and were able to bolster the farm system further, despite worries pre-season from Sharks general manager Tejesh Patel.

"We got very lucky that it was a deep draft this year, nothing more than dumb luck." Patel insisted, upon the draft's conclusion. "But still, despite that, we had an extraordinary draft, thanks to Andrew [Friedman, Sharks assistant GM] and Theo [Epstein, Sharks scouting director]. The work they've put in, along with their staff has been second to none during our 3.5 seasons together. I know, for a fact, that one of Theo's hand picked scouts, Alexandria Watson, is responsible for finding fourth rounder Lenyn Kohl, and forming a relationship with him. Word on the street was he only wanted to sign if a team would promise him that he would be a shortstop at the pro level. Watson was able to convince him his future lay on the mound, and he signed with us for an above slot amount, and is eager to fulfill his ace upside as a starting pitcher. We are extremely excited by this year's class, Kohl and Paschal [first round, 11th overall] in particular."

------

As a sidenote - the AI still doesn't do a good job 'looking' for 2 way players. Kohl, for example, was listed as a shortstop with 20/36 ratings, and those hidden pitching potentials. Obviously he should've been a top 5/3 pick, but...

It does feel kind of cheaty, but not to the point I'm not going to take them lol. I don't mind looking for gems like this, pitchers who have 70/60/65/70/50 potentials at the plate, etc...

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Last edited by tejdog1; Today at 11:14 AM.