Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

FHM 5 Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #21
Rain King
All Star Reserve

Thanked 251x in 168 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
At the risk of incurring wrath...itís not the officialsí fault. Those are the rules. I donít think itís realistic or healthy for the game...but they are the rules. Itís a penalty if you ride the QB to the ground like that.

Itís stupid, and hard for a player to avoid without lessening the surety of a sack, but thatís what the league wants and so itís the rule.
I agree with this...it doesn't sound like the league did a very good job of communicating this rule or consulting with any kind of Rules Committee to communicate it to coaches/players on what they expect players to do to avoid the penalty.

Everything with players is technique...if they change a rule that means a new technique they need to know about it well in advance.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #22
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Thanked 334x in 246 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain King View Post
I agree with this...it doesn't sound like the league did a very good job of communicating this rule or consulting with any kind of Rules Committee to communicate it to coaches/players on what they expect players to do to avoid the penalty.

Everything with players is technique...if they change a rule that means a new technique they need to know about it well in advance.
I think they attempted to communicate w/defenders about it. The problem is all the communication in the world means nothing if what is being said is virtually impossible to accomplish. They are asking these guys to hit 6'5" 240lb athletes and bring them to the ground against their will while lessening the force gravity has on all of them.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #23
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Dolphins are blaming DE William Hayes season ending ACL injury on trying to avoid a roughing penalty on a Carr sack.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #24
Ragnar
All Star Starter

Thanked 123x in 101 posts
At this point I think they should just get to the QB and hug him until the whistle blows. Watch how fast they change the rule back.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #25
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Reserve

Thanked 327x in 218 posts
Interesting theory on Dan Patrick this morning. Speculation is that the refs are taking a 'by the rules' stance in response to the NFL putting them in a no-win situation following the recent contract problems. By saying 'this is the rules' they intend to put all the pressure on Goodell and the league, not them for making a tough choice.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #26
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Thanked 679x in 349 posts
If that’s what they’re doing, they’re in for a surprise. The rules are there because the. NFL believes it is in their interest to protect the QB above all else. And there are a hell of a lot more Patrick Mahomes jerseys sold and money generated due to QBs than there are due to William Hayes’ of the league.

I mean, I think it’s soft football but again, these aren’t accidental results. This is a considered, deliberately intended rule.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #27
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Interesting theory on Dan Patrick this morning. Speculation is that the refs are taking a 'by the rules' stance in response to the NFL putting them in a no-win situation following the recent contract problems. By saying 'this is the rules' they intend to put all the pressure on Goodell and the league, not them for making a tough choice.
Sounds like something I would do. When I was working 3rd shift at the hospital, crazy lab mgr came up with some stupid rule. So I followed it to the letter. Which meant the nurse would have to wake up the doctor @ 3 in the morning to follow the stupid rule.

Meetings were had..............
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Thank you for this post:
Leo_The_Lip (09-27-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #28
Ragnar
All Star Starter

Thanked 123x in 101 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
If thatís what theyíre doing, theyíre in for a surprise. The rules are there because the. NFL believes it is in their interest to protect the QB above all else. And there are a hell of a lot more Patrick Mahomes jerseys sold and money generated due to QBs than there are due to William Hayesí of the league.

I mean, I think itís soft football but again, these arenít accidental results. This is a considered, deliberately intended rule.
The problem with this particular rule is that it might not be protecting the QB. The defenders are going to have to know what they're doing wrong and be able to correct what they're doing. If they can't correct the problem, flags aren't doing any good. Sometimes there just isn't anywhere else the defender can land.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote