Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.4 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - FHM 4 Available - MLB Manager 2017 Available Now

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
DelAbbot
Bat Boy

Thanked 1x in 1 post
OOTP18 Rule Five is Broken

So I picked up OOTP18 over Xmas and played for about 100 hours to get experienced and restarted as an expansion team. Using 20/80 grade scale.

I finished 2017 with crappy record. Then Dec 2017, I entered the rule 5 draft and what do I find?

A couple of 55 potential overall grade position prospects (I mean C, SS, CF) and about 5-8 of 50 potential available in the rule 5 pool and most teams are skipping their rule 5 picks. AI only drafts rule 5 if their potential is fully filled or one increment away from fully filled.

I finish 10 rounds of rule 5 with a brand new lineup, and a couple of 55 potential SP. Most of these guys are 40/50. Start of 2018, sim spring training finishes, everyone developed some more. The 40/50 prosepct became 45/45 or 45/50. I sim the 2018 season, and I made playoffs on the backs of 3 All-stars who were rule 5 draft picks.

Dec 2018, I thought why not try this again - I demote all of the 45/45 or worse guys from previous rule 5, and draft another 10 rounds and got some more 50 and 55 potentials.

At the end of two rule 5 drafts, I got one 55/55 SS that gave me 5.8 WAR in rookie year, one 55 potential SP that became 60 potential (likely become 70/60 when developed), and a bunch of 45/45 and some 50/50s.

All of this is in challenge mode.

Rule 5 in OOTP18 is definitely broken.

Last edited by DelAbbot; 01-10-2018 at 05:54 PM.
DelAbbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 629x in 435 posts
would suggest that you try playing it for 5 more seasons and see if things are the same way or not .... I think you got pretty lucky. However I have been known to let some good players go on rule 5 draft as I had no room for the roster. Although I do try to trade first but not always able to
point is one season is too small a data
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 525x in 421 posts
That does not seem right.
1) Is scouting on? What is the accuracy? This answer could easily negate the OVR/POT ratings you are seeing.
I have never played Challenge Mode. Does it allow you to set roster limits for the minor leagues?
There are reports of AI teams making strange roster decisions on the boards. I have not read of one this severe for the Rule Five. I am not doubting you, I am wondering if there is a settings issue.
The AI can have a hard time knowing what to do when MiLB roster limits are too small.
Have you looked at the rosters of any of the teams that lost players.
The first thing it sounds like is that 40 man rosters are full. This explains skipping picks and not promoting. It does not explain overall roster management and teams not waiving inferior players to promote superior players.
What are the ages of the players you drafted? Over 25 player tend to be fully developed. If you are drafting a bunch of 20/55 players who are 25-28 years old you will probably need a lot of them for 1-2 to fully develop.
Those are my first thoughts.

Good Luck,
Tom (LP)

Commish/GM B.J.H.L. (OOTP14) Ft. Wayne Barnstormers
(2019-2040)
TGH-Adfabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Thanked 7,287x in 3,688 posts
This is definitely not anything I've ever seen or heard of, so there's something odd going on, but very hard to say just what it could be offhand.

I think we'll definitely want to see the league files here

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Pre-order Out of the Park Baseball 19!

Buy Franchise Hockey Manager 4!

Found a bug? Have a technical issue? Please post here and/or file a support ticket here.

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:28 PM   #5
DelAbbot
Bat Boy

Thanked 1x in 1 post
1) I hired Theo Epstein on Day 1 as my head scout and maxed out scouting at 24 mil (50% minors, 50% ametuer). So I have confidence in the prospect grades I'm quoting.

2) I played in Challenge Mode, which is same as real life - 25 active, 40 secondary roster limits.

3) I noticed I had a good hitting coach to begin my expansion team - Tim Riggs. That might explain how my rule 5 hitters developed so quickly in their rookie year.

I noticed that a lot of teams were skipping, but the other expansion team (controlled by AI) was making rule 5 picks (I expanded to 32 teams). This confirms the theory that because the original 30 teams had full 40 or 25 man rosters, they could not make the rule 5 picks.

I guess the AI doesn't leave roster space for rule 5 because it either undervalues them or does not behave in asset-accumulation mode (e.g. I carried a 40/50 contact-speed rule 5 SS as my 1B all year, even though I could have made a marginal upgrade with a 45/45 traditional 1B). I didn't look closely but I'm sure some of those 40 man spots were use on about-to-be-waived middle RP, instead of a 50 CF or SS prospect in A ball (useful RP was being waived about 3-4 a year)

Also I noticed when the AI picked rule 5, it never picked a high potential, low current overall rating type. The difference between current overall rating and potential was most of the time 0 (45/45) or 5 (45/50). I had a 30/50 CF due to my fascination with his 75-speed and 75-steal.

The teams I noticed lost a lot were Yankees, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Indians, which are known in real life to have good depth in their low minors around 2017.

Last edited by DelAbbot; 01-10-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelAbbot View Post
1) I hired Theo Epstein on Day 1 as my head scout and maxed out scouting at 24 mil (50% minors, 50% ametuer). So I have confidence in the prospect grades I'm quoting.
No matter how good your scout is or how much money you put into scouting, the grades are still going to be off. They'll never be strictly accurate, that's just a reflection of reality. But obviously they can't have been totally off if you're getting great performance at the MLB level from several of the guys you picked up.

Typically the ai will almost never max out its 40-man rosters, they usually leave too much space rather than too little. So that's fairly weird as well.

You will probably be able to pick up some 50 or 55 potential guys in the initial years with the MLB roster set, as even irl some guys like Max Pentecost were left unprotected this year for one reason or another who you could easily hang that sort of potential grade on.

Whether they ever reach it is another question and maybe you just got lucky with that. Or it could be that having a good hitting coach along with an expansion team that allowed you to get them MLB development time immediately really boosted their progression to an unusual degree.

But as I mentioned earlier, we'd definitely need to see the league to get any idea of what might be happening and why.

Found a bug? Have a technical issue? Please post here and/or file a support ticket here.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 01-11-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 AM   #7
DelAbbot
Bat Boy

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
No matter how good your scout is or how much money you put into scouting, the grades are still going to be off. They'll never be strictly accurate, that's just a reflection of reality. But obviously they can't have been totally off if you're getting great performance at the MLB level from several of the guys you picked up.

Typically the ai will almost never max out its 40-man rosters, they usually leave too much space rather than too little. So that's fairly weird as well.

You will probably be able to pick up some 50 or 55 potential guys in the initial years with the MLB roster set, ass even irl some guys like Max Pentecost were left unprotected this year for one reason or another who you could easily hang that sort of potential grade on.

Whether they ever reach it is another question and maybe you just got lucky with that. Or it could be that having a good hitting coach along with an expansion team that allowed you to get them MLB development time immediately really boosted their progression to an unusual degree.

But as I mentioned earlier, we'd definitely need to see the league to get any idea of what might be happening and why.
Ok by your explanation I agree that maybe it is a combination of getting lucky on that hitting coach and lucky in rule 5 in 1st/2nd year of being an expansion team. I did see more AI making rule 5 picks in year 2 so maybe by year 3 it will normalize. Calling rule 5 "broken" may be exaggerating. I tried to edit the title but couldn't.
Thank you for this post:
TGH-Adfabre (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #8
ThePretender
All Star Reserve

Thanked 307x in 216 posts
I don't play solo often but I've also noticed it's really easy to acquire stellar, MLB ready players on the cheap via Rule V. It's actually surprising how many quality young players the AI doesn't protect on the 40 man roster.

Rebuilding a team becomes so simple when you can add 2-3 late inning RP, and several promising hitters or pitchers in the same Rule V draft. Or staying in contention.

Last edited by ThePretender; 01-11-2018 at 07:37 AM.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelAbbot View Post
Ok by your explanation I agree that maybe it is a combination of getting lucky on that hitting coach and lucky in rule 5 in 1st/2nd year of being an expansion team. I did see more AI making rule 5 picks in year 2 so maybe by year 3 it will normalize. Calling rule 5 "broken" may be exaggerating. I tried to edit the title but couldn't.
I think we may have overrated the potentials of quite a few of the more marginal prospects in the roster set as well, which would also result in too many guys with good potentials being available the first couple years. It also might make the ai tend to overprotect too many guys, as it has more highly rated guys to protect.

It's a hard thing to get right, as its really difficult to know the point where a once premium prospect like a Mark Appel or Kohl Stewart should have their potentials drastically cut. We definitely tend to err on the side of leaving them rated highly, so that could be part of the problem for sure.

I can edit the title for you if you let me know what you'd prefer it to say.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 01-11-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Thank you for this post:
TGH-Adfabre (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,275x in 1,024 posts
maybe it's due to how it is used for "other" things in the game, but why cut potential at all?

fundamentally people don't lose "potential" as defined by their genetics. if they did, we must look into patenting this genetic engineering technology. we could change people's genetics just by having them play baseball! a cure for cancer is just around the diamond!

if they don't develop, they don't develop -- whatever the cause... drugs, personality, etc etc. that has nothing to do with potential.

in RL it's not that they didn't develop and precede to lose their talent, but rather just GMs and scouts are extremely poor speculators of future MLB talent. even the eye can see that they have a low % of success with draftees... even 1st rounders who have teh 'measurables' that objectives can be seen to correlate with success*, yet adverse and hostile toward any new ways of thinking. (* like a tall 18yo pitcher is more likely to throw harder with age than a 5'6" 18yo -- they likely have hard data on this stuff predating sabermetric research.)

that doesn't precule contexts where the person's behaviour prevents them from every reaching that potential. e.g. they quit from 18-25 and try to play baseball again.. that has tangible repercussions that may prevent full development, but again the guy's DNA didn't change. he simply made bad choices that had a causal effect on his development.

on top of basic logic -- i'd like to see peak potential when i look at a retired player. i already keep scouting reports, so current ability can be tracked. i'd love to see current/potential included in the player profile stats area or displayed in similar fashion per year. scouting reports only show a few, not all ratings, so it's 'there' but incomplete.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-11-2018 at 03:28 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #11
Dyzalot
All Star Reserve

Thanked 234x in 164 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
maybe it's due to how it is used for "other" things in the game, but why cut potential at all?

fundamentally people don't lose "potential" as defined by their genetics. if they did, we must look into patenting this genetic engineering technology. we could change people's genetics just by having them play baseball! a cure for cancer is just around the diamond!

if they don't develop, they don't develop -- whatever the cause... drugs, personality, etc etc. that has nothing to do with potential.

in RL it's not that they didn't develop and precede to lose their talent, but rather just GMs and scouts are extremely poor speculators of future MLB talent. even the eye can see that they have a low % of success with draftees... even 1st rounders who have teh 'measurables' that objectives can be seen to correlate with success*, yet adverse and hostile toward any new ways of thinking. (* like a tall 18yo pitcher is more likely to throw harder with age than a 5'6" 18yo -- they likely have hard data on this stuff predating sabermetric research.)

that doesn't precule contexts where the person's behaviour prevents them from every reaching that potential. e.g. they quit from 18-25 and try to play baseball again.. that has tangible repercussions that may prevent full development, but again the guy's DNA didn't change. he simply made bad choices that had a causal effect on his development.

on top of basic logic -- i'd like to see peak potential when i look at a retired player. i already keep scouting reports, so current ability can be tracked. i'd love to see current/potential included in the player profile stats area or displayed in similar fashion per year. scouting reports only show a few, not all ratings, so it's 'there' but incomplete.
Potential is a measurement of how much better they could get compared to how they are now. So yes, if an 18 year old has a lot of potential and squanders it then at 25 he has no potential. If there's no potential for him to get better then why argue that he still has potential? Potential for what?
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
majesty95 (02-22-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,083x in 611 posts
The problem I continue to have with the Rule 5 draft is players will get drafted but not added to rosters. So the next team will draft the same guy. And then the next team. And the next team.

This will continue until my team drafts him and then he is unavailable.

Obviously this gives me a bit of an advantage.

````````````````````````````````````````

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Rusty I'm devastated.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
David Watts (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 11:43 PM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
The problem I continue to have with the Rule 5 draft is players will get drafted but not added to rosters. So the next team will draft the same guy. And then the next team. And the next team.

This will continue until my team drafts him and then he is unavailable.

Obviously this gives me a bit of an advantage.
I haven't heard about that either. As mentioned above, we'll probably need to see the league files where that's happening.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:31 AM   #14
DelAbbot
Bat Boy

Thanked 1x in 1 post
https://imgur.com/a/iBysW

Yep definitely broken. See my screen cap. This is the 3rd Rule Five draft of my expansion team. Dec 9, 2019

Cubs have a full 40 man roster, with players such as
C Victor Caratini Age 26 40/40
2B Cesar Hernandez 29 40/40 (signed as FA the day before rule 5 draft, and added to 40 man roster immediately)

and yet on the Cubs' A+ roster (Myrtle Beach) these guys are rule 5 eligible (not protected)
SS Isaac Paredes Age 20 50/60
SS Aramis Ademan Age 21 50/55

My rule 5 pick position is 32th, and both these guys are available. AI made about 7 picks in the 31 picks before me, mostly 45/45 guys, skipping the rest.

Fun facts:
- The day before the rule 5 - Dec 8 - the Cubs signed 4 FA and all added to 40 man roster. But they leave a 55 potential and a 60 potential SS unprotected. Could at least use the 7 days of DFA and not add the 4 FA to avoid the roster crunch.
- Isaac Paredes was named #51 prospect in MLB on 04/02/2019
- My rule 5 pick is up and I can pick Isaac Paredes. But when I attempt to trade for Isaac Paredes at this moment, the Cubs refuse to trade i.e. "You have no player who makes this deal work!". Then I added my 70/70 Rafael Devers (only 150 days of major league service) in trade for Isaac Paredes, the Cubs are asking for more players to make the trade work (the audacity!). I withdraw from trade window and just make the rule 5 pick of Isaac Paredes for $0.

(btw how do I upload a screencap that displays in my message?)

Last edited by DelAbbot; 01-13-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,275x in 1,024 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
Potential is a measurement of how much better they could get compared to how they are now. So yes, if an 18 year old has a lot of potential and squanders it then at 25 he has no potential. If there's no potential for him to get better then why argue that he still has potential? Potential for what?
you're saying it's relative to overall, but it's not calculated that way in game. it is based on the potential of each rating etc etc. nothign to do with current ability at all. it's a ceiling. moving it based on current ability changes means it's relative. it doesn't exhibit that behavior in game in a 1:1 fashion.

I would argue the concept you describe is more about their current ability not potential. current ability is about work and effort with a ceiling of DNA.

more importantly in RL that doesn't mesh with biology - DNA doesn't change. the things that cause the differences are their own exclusive forces that act on dna. if you could reverse it (like aging), which with the right tech we 100% can, they'd stil have teh same potential due to their DNA. our lack of medical knowledge has nothign to do with real potential.

another reason why ootp clearly doesn't calculate it relative to current ability:
why doesn't aging always reduce potential along with overall? sometimes it reduces current ability but potentials all stay the same... how could his potential stay the same if he can't reach it anymore??? well, because it's potential and not anyhting to do with what influences current ability.

you damage your body, you still have the genetic potential to be all that you were before the injury... the injury is current ability, not potential. aging is damaging of the body too.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-13-2018 at 01:53 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #16
Dyzalot
All Star Reserve

Thanked 234x in 164 posts
DNA doesn't have to change in order for your body to change. Also, current potential in OOTP does not consider current (PEDs) or future ways to alter your body medically as "potential" so I don't accept your argument about medical advances.. Seeing as how the athletic peak for baseball players is from 24-30, it seems obvious to me that a player can't have the same potential at 18 as he has at 25 if he hasn't made the required amount of progression for his original potential level to still be realized. If he was a five star potential at 18 when he had less than a star of current ability then it would be pretty unlikely to have the same potential at 25 if his current ability has made little to no improvement. Potential can be squandered.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:15 AM   #17
torpidbeaver
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 84x in 36 posts
I too wish there were a way to track attributes, potential, overall, and ratings from year to year. It's one of the things Football Manager does really well.

I've taken to exporting my team's 40-man roster with a custom filter, sorting it all out in Excel, and tracking it with graphs that way. It's very cool to see a player's skills and attributes grow and decay, but it's equally disappointing to have to skip back and forth between programs to see if a marked drop in potential coincides with a bad injury or something, as well as trying to deal with trying to remember to do the exports every year.

It's at the top of my wish list every year.
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:29 AM   #18
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 525x in 421 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpidbeaver View Post
I too wish there were a way to track attributes, potential, overall, and ratings from year to year. It's one of the things Football Manager does really well.

I've taken to exporting my team's 40-man roster with a custom filter, sorting it all out in Excel, and tracking it with graphs that way. It's very cool to see a player's skills and attributes grow and decay, but it's equally disappointing to have to skip back and forth between programs to see if a marked drop in potential coincides with a bad injury or something, as well as trying to deal with trying to remember to do the exports every year.

Some of the information is in the player history. They used to be saved in .txt files. I am not sure how they work now.

Commish/GM B.J.H.L. (OOTP14) Ft. Wayne Barnstormers
(2019-2040)
TGH-Adfabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #19
ThePretender
All Star Reserve

Thanked 307x in 216 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpidbeaver View Post

You know, I miss from OOTP 6.5 where there was an easy to find screen on reports where it said "Player A has boosted his movement! It went from 65-->68". I don't know why they changed or got rid of it. I mean the scouting reports are good, but it makes tracking avoid K, gap, stamina, and I'm missing a few, much more difficult to track.

So I guess it's more that I'm missing the "lesser" skills like gap/avoid K, stam etc in the scouting reports.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #20
DelAbbot
Bat Boy

Thanked 1x in 1 post
To give an update, in the save for which I started this thread, year after year I can see at least one 55 or 60 FV in the rule 5 draft, and they develop into true starter/all-star level players after 1-2 years MLB experience. So it was not a fluke to see good players left unprotected.

I since started Challenge mode again in a brand new save. For the first three rule 5 drafts, I didn't see high end prospects anymore (which I saw before), so I thought indeed my last save was just lucky in getting 55FV or 60FV in the rule 5. Then in the 4th year rule 5 I found Bo Bichette at 60FV (and all offensive potential filled) available for rule 5 pick, and some others 55FV available. At the end of the year I switched Scouting Director (from Theo to DD), and both Scouting Directors showed the rule 5 picks I made are indeed 55FV or 60FV.

I think the rule 5 is broken, and it's due to the roster decisions. The AI signs some marginal players to major league contracts, but does not factor in the cost of them occupying secondary roster spots - which squeezes out A-ball prospects who need to be protected from rule 5, leading to good prospects in the rule 5. Sometimes, like the Bo example, the star-level prospects are in AAA and ready for majors but still get exposed.

Last edited by DelAbbot; 02-22-2018 at 01:21 PM.