Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 18.7.74 Update Available - OOTP 18 Available - FHM 3 Available - MLB Manager 2017 Available Now

Franchise Hockey Manager 4: Pre-Order Now and Save 10%!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
Shoeless' Socks
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Bench Coach Strategies override Player Game Strategies?

If I allow the bench coach to set overall strategy, will his decisions override the individual player Game Strategies that I manually set for some of my players.

So for example if the bench coach strategy is minimal steals, but I have an 80/80/80 player that I tell to steal A LOT, will that be overridden?
Shoeless' Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,958x in 1,688 posts
This is a great question. I can only speculate, however.

It's like the chicken and egg thing. Which comes first?

Well, if I were the developer, I would do it like this: On most teams, runners are given the red/green light by coaches. If team strategy is to usually have the red light up, then runners are not going to be attempting to steal bases as much even though they want to and feel capable of doing so.

So my guess is that team strategy will override the player strategy in this regard and even though you have a player set to steal often, he will not do so as much if the team strategy is set to minimal base stealing.

Anybody else have an opinion?

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Cryomaniac (07-17-2017), Shoeless' Socks (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 904x in 743 posts
it's not different than using the head coach to set the strategy - probably the option exists more for a "Coach" as opposed to gm-only player -- the head coach will reset it each year or 'whenever', but it will reset to their preference eventually unless locked.

player strats are a further influence beyond the coach's strategies -- if it works as it has in recent years.

so if you rarely steal bases on the team/coach slider and make a player max stealing on their player strategy slider, they will still steal often, but probably not as often as if paired with a coach that also likes to run alot.

this definitely has an influence even if they "adjust to team strategy"... the guy who does not adjust, does as they want regardless of the caoch -- i would assume that latter part, because i know the first part is true from experience.

example: 1/2 scale or 1 tick down from middle for stealing slider on coach... a player will attempt to steal more if their slider is elevated, but relative still to the coach's slider... *edit, late add: max guy coudln't clear ~100sb in my environment unless the coaches slider also moved up a tick or two, then i could hit 120-130 with the same guy, same personal slider (not maxed, but elevated... if %success is important, you don't want to max it out, in most cases)

if it wasn't adjust to strat i'd assume it simply is based ont eh players slider with no reference to the coach?? or maybe significantly less at the very least.

this isn't a speculative question, you can simply trial and error and see.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-17-2017 at 12:08 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Déjà Bru (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,958x in 1,688 posts
Good response, NoOne. This seems to support what I said:
Quote:
so if you rarely steal bases on the team/coach slider and make a player max stealing on their player strategy slider, they will still steal often, but probably not as often as if paired with a coach that also likes to run alot.
I see it this way: Team strategy is going to be a brake on a steal-happy runner if set closer to Never. If left in neutral, it's solely up to the runner's setting. If set closer to Frequently, he could run wild!

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 904x in 743 posts
yeah, i control my coach sliders through editing them to my liking... definitely how it works, beyond any reasonable doubt... i'll bet the house on it

i often use player strats to further influnce stealing, baserunning and the other available sliders there to tailor them to each player... and realtive to my consistent coaching strategies (if you hire different coaches you'll need more thought to adjust properly. i don't experience that problem the way i handle coaches. it's second nature as far as increase/decrease tailored to the players' ratings)

e.g. V Martinez and a "5/10" or "6/10" aggressive running isn't a good match, lol... so i bump him down even more -- any low speed guy, really..

Stealing is much clearer as far recognizing the actual effect... you can see over 5years and same ratings he gets ~60sb @ <80% then the next five with a different setting he averages ~40 wiht a >80% ... which is better? need more info, but that's the a key part to make that decision relative to your league (baseline statistical environment being the other half). baserunnign isn't as clear beacuse scoring runs depends on the bats behind you in teh order... that changes more greatly than the factors invovled with stealing and more difficult to nomalize into useful information.

the key is that it's relative... if you have a coach thats already conservative running, you don't need to bump him down much, if at all... in that case you likely need to increase the faster/better baserunners to get a more optimal probabity of scoring the most runs.

or just toss "do not adjust" or whatever the verbage says. i haven't played with that as much... and i'd rather get similar results and still have them 'adjust' in an extreme case -- totally speculation on this thought. it may make zero difference in this instance, too.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-17-2017 at 03:21 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote