Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
Brume
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
How accurate is the potential stat

Im looking for trade, and just for general knowledge. How accurate is the potential stat. For example, i understand the fact that potential is a long shot estimate to a player development. But what about this 18 years old kid, that have a star ratting and a star potential. Does it mean the player will never develop no matter what??

I also found that age factor is quite irrelevant in that game. Most player around 35+ have the same potential that their ratting, but they should start decrease at that point of their career..
Brume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,713x in 908 posts
The accuracy largely depends on how good your scouting is, and potential ratings are never a guarantee because of the development engine - just like in real life, big prospects may never develop or flame out and guys who never seemed like much can become superstars.

I'm also the commissioner of the OTBA. Drop me a line if you'd like to join!
eriqjaffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,465x in 1,181 posts
age and service time matter will affect early scouting, not mlb vets so much. far less accurate with draftees / rookies than AAA players. unless you have 100% accuracy, most of the flameouts are actually bad scouting. most of the surprises are bad scouting too. using 50-100 TCR setting, in my experience.

then, of course, the random development process. work ethic/intelligence should increase probability of development. if they've shown ratings increases consistently, i'm pretty confident in those guys with a history.

potential or overall is good for sorting and maybe a resulting range of quality you conisder ~equal when comparing 2 or more players for same role/position. potential is the same calculation as overall, so you can look at it the same way along with normal risks of developement.

i would be the single largest factor in it's usefulness is the resolution of that scale. e.g. an 11-pt scale 0-5 stars won't give as precise info as a 20-80scale (by 1's).

edit: unmet potential by 28+ is most likely never to developem fyi.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-16-2018 at 06:36 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 5,078x in 3,106 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brume View Post
Im looking for trade, and just for general knowledge. How accurate is the potential stat. For example, i understand the fact that potential is a long shot estimate to a player development. But what about this 18 years old kid, that have a star ratting and a star potential. Does it mean the player will never develop no matter what??

I also found that age factor is quite irrelevant in that game. Most player around 35+ have the same potential that their ratting, but they should start decrease at that point of their career..
You can have this in your game by checking yes on the spot marked below. I find it far more realistic.

Edit the potential decline happens earlier than you'd expect.
Attached Images

RichW

"We're supposed to stand up to discrimination, and we're sure as heck supposed to stand up clearly and unequivocally to Nazi sympathizers. How hard can that be, saying that Nazis are bad?"

So much for personality. Albert Belle, a complete nut job was never traded and was the highest paid player in the game, twice!

#Alternativefacts=lies

Last edited by RchW; 05-16-2018 at 02:29 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

Thanked 68x in 35 posts
I wish that in the trading block, you could set what you want to see back in the summary, instead of current and potential ratings only.
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote