Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team is LIVE!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #41
Matt Uk
Major Leagues
 
Matt Uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 449
Thanks: 465
Thanked 269x in 150 posts
Lots to chew on with this Pro/Rel and how best to do it.


Some thoughts...


I think a league wide salary cap may help, perhaps no cap in the top league and then a reducing one as you go down.



I think reserve rosters (with a limit - 25?) has to be the way to go rather than them having minor league teams.


Luxury Tax - best to turn it off, ie No revenue sharing?



No draft (just my opinion)




Allow trades with other major leagues




National Media Contract - I think this has to be shared per team rather than market size to allow those teams getting promoted who might be small market to still get their share of the media money and give them more chance of competing.




Play offs - Off. Unless you want to set something up for the top league to decided a champion other than the team finishing first.



International Free Agents - not sure, I'm leaning towards off.



League Level - I think setting all leagues to Major Leagues and just decrese the reputation as you go down.




I think I'm going to set up a test one like that and see how it plays out.
Matt Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
jparker2112 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #42
Rain King
All Star Reserve
 
Rain King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 525
Thanks: 240
Thanked 272x in 176 posts
I agree with pretty much all of that.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #43
ripitback
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 37
Thanks: 21
Thanked 22x in 13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Uk View Post
Lots to chew on with this Pro/Rel and how best to do it.


Some thoughts...


I think a league wide salary cap may help, perhaps no cap in the top league and then a reducing one as you go down.



I think reserve rosters (with a limit - 25?) has to be the way to go rather than them having minor league teams.


Luxury Tax - best to turn it off, ie No revenue sharing?



No draft (just my opinion)




Allow trades with other major leagues




National Media Contract - I think this has to be shared per team rather than market size to allow those teams getting promoted who might be small market to still get their share of the media money and give them more chance of competing.




Play offs - Off. Unless you want to set something up for the top league to decided a champion other than the team finishing first.



International Free Agents - not sure, I'm leaning towards off.



League Level - I think setting all leagues to Major Leagues and just decrese the reputation as you go down.




I think I'm going to set up a test one like that and see how it plays out.
My only concern would be on the salary cap. If a team with a high payroll was relegated and now they are over the cap in the league they are relegated too.
ripitback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #44
Rain King
All Star Reserve
 
Rain King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 525
Thanks: 240
Thanked 272x in 176 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripitback View Post
My only concern would be on the salary cap. If a team with a high payroll was relegated and now they are over the cap in the league they are relegated too.
Good point, I guess I missed that one. I do not like the salary cap for pro/reg.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #45
Tyke
All Star Reserve
 
Tyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, U.K.
Posts: 827
Thanks: 1,499
Thanked 248x in 214 posts
Would it mean that a relegated team would need to dump salary, forcing them to release more expensive players? If so, that would be realistic. And didn't I read somewhere that there might be a contract clause that would give players the option to file as free agents if the team was relegated?

Last edited by Tyke; 03-29-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #46
Jakeydude18
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 42
Thanks: 7
Thanked 8x in 5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
Would it mean that a relegated team would need to dump salary, forcing them to release more expensive players? If so, that would be realistic. And didn't I read somewhere that there might be a contract clause that would give players the option to file as free agents if the team was relegated?
In theory they would have to release players if a team gets relagated. But, in most open league systems (where P/R is a thing) there isn't a salary cap. Usually the decrease in revenue and ticket sales equates to teams having to release players in order to maintain profit.

In baseball, and in the code of game (I think), contracts are guaranteed so releasing players would give teams a huge loss in a very short amount of time. Plus the added bonus of not generating the same revenue as the year prior seems to be a double whammy in my opinion.
Jakeydude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Tyke (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #47
Bahnzo
Minors (Single A)
 
Bahnzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 86
Thanks: 17
Thanked 16x in 13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeydude18 View Post
In theory they would have to release players if a team gets relagated. But, in most open league systems (where P/R is a thing) there isn't a salary cap. Usually the decrease in revenue and ticket sales equates to teams having to release players in order to maintain profit.

In baseball, and in the code of game (I think), contracts are guaranteed so releasing players would give teams a huge loss in a very short amount of time. Plus the added bonus of not generating the same revenue as the year prior seems to be a double whammy in my opinion.
Yeah, the guaranteed contracts and not being able to sell players kind of handcuffs this a bit. Plus a lot of players have a release clause in their contracts if a club gets demoted so they are gone on a free transfer.
Bahnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Tyke (03-30-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 12:16 PM   #48
Matt Uk
Major Leagues
 
Matt Uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 449
Thanks: 465
Thanked 269x in 150 posts
Maybe that's something that might be handy to add from Pro/rel games then, an option to release a player with no cost involved.
Matt Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #49
Bill Veeck
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Thanks: 27
Thanked 8x in 5 posts
This is great stuff guys. Trying to replicate how promotion and relegation works financially in the Premier League and below is tricky and would be tricky if applied to the majors. You sometimes have big teams relegated in England (although it is rare) and they have larger stadia generally - one right now averaging over 50,000 per match despite having been relegated. The big difference is media rights and that would probably be largely the same here. A second division would have a hard time generating media dollars in the US compared to a first division. That's where you have to make your difference.

And this is largely proven because even large relegated clubs over there often have a hard time getting back up even with what are called "parachute payments" designed to give them a soft landing when going from 100m to 10m or less. Once the huge media dollars go...
Bill Veeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #50
hoffspur
Minors (Single A)
 
hoffspur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 77
Thanks: 60
Thanked 12x in 9 posts
Setting up a Pro/Rel league and this has been a fantastic resource.

I'm very curious how the 4th sim turned out with the slight inflation, though.
hoffspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments