Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.4.40 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

OOTP Baseball 20 - AVAILABLE NOW!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #41
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,029x in 1,858 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Has there ever been an MLB team where we can say, "player X willed that team to a championship"? Or even just to the playoffs? To the point that without that player the team would only be an average team? I never liked the idea behind the MVP that many hold that the winner should only come from a team that makes the playoffs and the above argument seems to make the case against it. Even if it may rarely happen, it just seems so silly a random criteria to honour a player over honouring whoever was the best player overall that year.
Hmmm...Possibly Orel Hershiser in 1988. That team had one markedly above average position player and one markedly above average starting pitcher. The position player (Gibson) was injured for the World Series, but for his remarkable Roy Hobbs moment, and Hershiser stomped all over the Mets and Athletics, winning the MVP in both series. In the NLCS, all he did was start three games (1, 3, and 7 in which he pitched a shutout), and save Game 4. No biggie. Then he started games 2 and 5 in the World Series, and throttled the powerful Athletics. And this was on the heels of that 59ish inning shutout streak to close out the regular season. I would say Hershiser and Gibson were responsible for that team getting to the playoffs, and Hershiser took over and did the rest. Without Hershiser and Gibson, I would say that team would have barely been a .500 team. But, that's not just one player, except the postseason part.

That's the closest example I can think of, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. It takes a team to win in baseball. A lot of MVP Awards (whether we like it or not) are decided by the narrative the baseball writers put out there, and then they vote on the award, and go with the narrative...that they put out there. Once the writers get going on a narrative, players can ride it all the way to an award or even the HoF. Just ask "The Most Feared Hitter of His Era" Jim Rice, who completely deserved his 1978 MVP Award, except for Ron Guidry's unbelievable 1978 season. Some folks don't like giving the MVP to a pitcher, but I think you could make an exception for 1978 Guidry. IMHO Rice also came up short of the HoF.
Nothing short of everything's enough
No matter how wide or how tough

Yeah, I know, I know, I know
Now for Plan A
I'll stay till the wisteria fades
And falls on L.A.
No matter how high or how rough
Nothing short of everything's enough"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017

Last edited by actionjackson; 12-22-2018 at 11:47 AM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #42
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 5,157x in 3,150 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Just ask "The Most Feared Hitter of His Era" Jim Rice, who completely deserved his 1978 MVP Award, but IMHO came up short of the HoF.
Just clarifying: he made the HoF but shouldn't have; right?

RichW

"We're supposed to stand up to discrimination, and we're sure as heck supposed to stand up clearly and unequivocally to Nazi sympathizers. How hard can that be, saying that Nazis are bad?"

So much for personality. Albert Belle, a complete nut job was never traded and was the highest paid player in the game, twice!

#Alternativefacts=lies
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #43
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,029x in 1,858 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Just clarifying: he made the HoF but shouldn't have; right?
Yes he made it in 2009. He probably had the third best career of the three players in the Red Sox unbelievable outfield that was in Boston from 1974 through 1980, and yet...He's the one that's in the HoF. Dewey belongs, but the other two come up short in my eyes. Ah well...Whatcha gonna do?
No matter how wide or how tough

Yeah, I know, I know, I know
Now for Plan A
I'll stay till the wisteria fades
And falls on L.A.
No matter how high or how rough
Nothing short of everything's enough"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote