Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > MLB Manager 2018 > MLB Manager Dynasty Reports

MLB Manager Dynasty Reports Tell us about the MLBM dynasties you have built!

Old 04-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #281
Paulie123
All Star Starter

Thanked 275x in 262 posts
2 September 2048

GM’s notebook - Series 46 and 47

Magpies 14-10 Olympia
Magpies 6-3 Olympia
Magpies 8-1 Olympia
Lansing 0-2 Magpies
Lansing 6-5 Magpies
Lansing 5-1 Magpies

- Game one in Olympia wasn’t exactly an advert for quality pitching. Roberto Caro was the pick of our lineup, getting on base 6 times via 3 hits and 3 walks, and smoking 2 home runs.
- Wesley Weaver bagged win number 18, and Júlio Martínez got save number 40, in the 6-3 win. Ángel Ochoa hit 3-5 for the second straight day against his former club.
- Jeffrey White hit a grand slam in the top of the 1st in the final Wolfhounds game, and it was a cruise from there.
- Philip Givens (8 IP, 6 H, 0 ER) and Martínez (save #41) did a great job of shutting down the Sharks’ powerful lineup for the 2-0 win.
- Enrique Limón’s terrific form won him Western League player of the month for August. He hit .391 with 2 home runs, 16 RBIs and a .447 OBP.
- My September call-ups were outfielder Cy Cox (to add a right-handed bench bat), youngster Jesús Benítez (for right-handed bullpen depth and as a try-out for next season) and outfielder Zachary Tinter (purely as a pinch-running threat).
- Annapolis’s rookie first baseman Jesús Martínez has now won all 5 Eastern League rookie of the month awards so far this season. I’ll go out on a limb and call it: he may win rookie of the year.
- Lansing nicked game two with a solo home run off Jorge Cruz in the 14th inning.
- A good week but we need more to catch the Brown Bears. Our magic number for a spot in the wildcard game is down to 8.

This week: 4-2
Record: 87-54, 2nd place, 4 GB from Madison
Paulie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #282
Paulie123
All Star Starter

3 September 2048

FANGRAPHICS
Chat: Osiris Sabretooth has had plenty of coffee already this morning and promises not to be cranky when answering your questions.

10:02

Osiris: Hello, hello, hello! It’s the business end of another fun season of SCL baseball, so fire away!

10:03

Dominic Dork: The North Division is the strongest in the league yet again - what’s up with that?

Osiris: Well, Lansing will always be there or thereabouts because of all their deep pockets. Billy DePodesta has built a good team in Des Moines. And Madison has been getting progressively better the last couple years. I think next season could be a different story: the Magpies could struggle to compete if they have to slash their payroll to the extent that has been rumoured, and Lansing’s lineup isn’t getting any younger.

Stevie D: Are the Magpies really facing an offseason fire sale of talent? Could a good postseason run help them financially?

10:04

Osiris: The noises coming out of the organisation are that the financial position is pretty dire and drastic measures are needed. I think a complete fire sale is unlikely, but it certainly looks like some of their veterans will be traded. They’ll be an interesting team to watch next year.

10:05

Smoketh Thy Home Run, My Liege: Robinson Ortíz: just having a bad season, or just not that good?

10:05

Osiris: Just a bad season. He has a ton of talent.

10:06

Yummy Mummy: What about Enrique Limón! .311/.392/.511 is very tidy indeed!

10:06

Osiris: I really like him. He has no weaknesses in his game. He’s a quality hitter, a great defender, and fast as you like round the bases.

10:07

Seve Ballesteros: I’m 250 yards from the pin but there’s a large bunker across the front of the green. Should I lay up or go for the hole?

10:08

Osiris: Seve would always go for the entertaining shot. What a player he was. One of the greats.

10:08

Osiris: Okay, c’est tout, mes amis. Until next time, be good!
Old 04-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #283
Paulie123
All Star Starter

8 September 2048

GM’s notebook - Series 48 and 49

Magpies 13-3 Salem
Magpies 2-4 Salem
Magpies 2-1 Salem
Sacramento 1-2 Magpies
Sacramento 3-1 Magpies
Sacramento 6-3 Magpies

- Wesley Weaver will never get an easier W than day one in Salem. He took the mound in the bottom of the first with an 8-0 lead.
- Weaver now has 19 wins, just 1 behind a trio of the SCL’s greatest pitchers: Tony Casas (Madison), Carlos Lara (Lansing) and Donnie Lee (Atlanta).
- Pedro Soto’s first homer of the season was the winning run in the Salem series decider. Philip Givens (8 IP, 5 H, 1 ER) had a good day too.
- Soto repeated the trick the very next night in the home opener versus the Stingrays. This time his winning home run was a walk-off in the 10th.
- Iemitsu Ishii is going through a tough spell at the plate and he’s now batting .198 with a .616 OPS. Against lefties he’s now sharing RF with Pedro Soto and has dropped down to #8 in the lineup. Cy Cox is now getting the starts in the position against left-handers.
- The 6-3 defeat to Sacramento was Ken James’s first loss of the season, and it was a doozy: he gave up a grand slam in the 14th inning.
- Salem are on course to win the West Coast Division; they have a 7-game lead despite being only 69-78.
- Our magic number for a wildcard place is down to 3. That looks to be where we’re headed, as we just can’t gain ground on the Brown Bears.

This week: 3-3
Record: 90-57, 2nd place, 5 GB from Madison
Old 04-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #284
Paulie123
All Star Starter

8 September 2048

(Cutting from SCL Baseball Monthly magazine, August 2048 issue)

SCL BASEBALL MONTHLY

Meet The Player: 10 Facts You Never Knew About... PEDRO SOTO, DES MOINES MAGPIES

1. His parents left Cuba just 4 months before he was born.
2. His team-mates at high school nicknamed him “Sir Golden Arm” because he could throw the ball so far.
3. He always steps into the batter’s box first with his left foot and then with his right. Always.
4. He always puts his cap on before a game with his right hand. Always.
5. He always takes precisely 6 practice swings on his first visit to the on-deck circle in a game. Always.
6. He thinks his little superstitions are ridiculous but still does them anyway.
7. He has a pet rabbit called Bartholomew McBunnymaster Jr.
8. He has never been on social media. Seriously, this is 2048 and he’s a professional sports star who has never been on social media.
9. His name is nearly an anagram of ‘torpedoes’. It is actually an anagram of ‘stored poo’.
10. According to a recent Wikipedia edit, ‘Soto’ is the ancient Sanskrit word for ‘shortstop’.
Attached Images
Old 04-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #285
Paulie123
All Star Starter

15 September 2048

GM’s notebook - Series 50 and 51

Santa Fe 0-3 Magpies
Santa Fe 5-4 Magpies
Santa Fe 2-3 Magpies
Magpies 1-0 St. Paul
Magpies 3-2 St. Paul
Magpies 8-6 St. Paul

- The 3-0 victory over Santa Fe was Wesley Weaver’s 20th win and Júlio Martinez’s 43rd save. They have both had outstanding seasons.
- The Outlaws gave our old pal P.J. Hendrickson the start in game two. He came out with back tightness after throwing just 3 pitches.
- Roberto Caro (2-4, 2 HR) provided almost all our offense in the rubber game, but Kevin Cantrell was in fine form and it was enough. However, the lack of runs since the 13-3 win over Salem at the start of last week is a worry.
- That victory secured at least a wildcard spot. It’s going to be an all-North Division affair yet again. We have a 4-game advantage over Lansing for home field advantage.
- Hartford have kept their all-star ace Michael Harris, 27, away from free agency by signing him to a monster 7-year, $134m deal. I’m not sure he would have got that much on the open market.
- Robinson Ortíz totally bamboozled the Rockets’ lineup in the 1-0 win, throwing 8 H, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K. Jeffrey White went 4-4 and Martínez earned save #45.
- Madison have won 7 in a row to reach 100 wins, and that has killed off any chance we had of catching them. They would need to totally collapse over the remaining 10 games.
- Weaver had a rare bad game to round off the week, but we won anyway after Enrique Limón led a late rally.

This week: 5-1
Record: 95-58, 2nd place, 6 GB from Madison
Old 04-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #286
Paulie123
All Star Starter

21 September 2048

GM’s notebook - Series 52 and 53

Phoenix 0-2 Magpies
Phoenix 3-7 Magpies
Phoenix 2-11 Magpies
Magpies 3-5 Baton Rouge
Magpies 7-0 Baton Rouge
Magpies 3-2 Baton Rouge

- Philip Givens reached 18-10, 2.47 with 8 scoreless innings in the 2-0 win over Phoenix.
- Kevin Cantrell finished the regular season 14-9, 2.91 after 7.1 innings of 2-run ball the next evening. He’ll now be shut down to be ready for the wildcard game. While Givens has the lower ERA, Cantrell has been more reliable overall, has the better FIP (3.52 vs 3.99), higher K/BB ratio (3.2 vs 2.5) and more quality starts (24 vs 20).
- We were excellent all series against the Raccoons, but the Brown Bears have extended their winning streak to 10 and now have a magic number of 1. Lansing have clinched the second WL wildcard.
-Victory in game two in Baton Rouge guaranteed home field advantage in the wildcard game for the third year in a row. Wesley Weaver signed off a fabulous season with a brilliant 2-hit shutout to finish 21-6 with a 2.38 ERA. Michael O’Quinn hit his 25th dinger.
-The 3-2 win to conclude the week was number 100. That’s my highest tally as GM so far (99 in 2046 and 97 in 2047).
- I feel a bit sorry for Lansing. Their 94 wins would put them on top of any of the other five divisions in the SCL. But in the North Division that’s only good enough for 3rd place and they’re 11 games back from leaders Madison.

This week: 5-1
Record: 100-59, 2nd place, 5 GB from Madison
Attached Images
Old 04-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #287
Paulie123
All Star Starter

22 September 2048

Mannix Glowstone
@rayoflight

Another fantastic season from the #Magpies lads! Shame we’re in the wildcard game again, but I think we can win it - again #confidence #ultrapositivity
11:11AM - 22 Sep 2048

Zebedee Stethoscope
@glasshalfempty

If the #Sharks have Carlos Lara on the mound itll b a v diff day #theyrebetterthanus
11:14AM - 22 Sep 2048

Dietmar Uberfan
@magpiesobsessive

@rayoflight I’ll be watching every pitch from first to last! One of the benefits of being single these days! #ireallymissher #microwavedinners
11:15AM - 22 Sep 2048

Spencer Soliloquy
@talktomyself

@glasshalfempty Lara has given us trouble in the past but remember we have @JeffreyWhiteSCL in the lineup now #goMagpies
11:17AM - 22 Sep 2048
Old 04-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #288
Paulie123
All Star Starter

24 September 2048

GM’s notebook - Series 54

Denver 3-4 Magpies
Denver 3-0 Magpies
Denver 2-13 Magpies

- Rhys Nunn took Kevin Cantrell’s scheduled start and was excellent, finishing with a line of 5.1 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K. Enrique Limón hit 3-4, including his 23rd homer and 44th double of the year.
- The 13-2 drubbing was a stylish way to end the regular season. There were excellent performances from Roberto Caro (3-4, grand slam HR, DBL, 5 RBI), Enrique Limón (4-5, DBL, 4 RBI), Jeffrey White (3-5, DBL) and Jeremy Williams (8 IP, 2 ER). Our best hitters seem to be in form heading into the postseason.
- White finished with 124 RBI in total this season, 2nd in the SCL.
- Michael O’Quinn led the SCL in walks (130).
- Our ol’ mate Jim Dillman led the league in OBP and OPS. We’ll see him in the wildcard game.
- Júlio Martínez finished with 49 saves, 2nd highest in the whole SCL.
- Jesús Benítez (who failed to make an appearance during his September call-up) and Zachary Tinter have returned to the minor league roster ahead of the wildcard game. I really want Cy Cox’s right-handed bat on the outfield bench so Don Rich has also been taken off the active roster. I’ll have a 4-man rotation and 7-man bullpen.
- Philip Givens has narrowly been my weakest starting pitcher overall this season, so will go in the bullpen. My main starting 3, should we get through the wildcard game, will be Cantrell, Wesley Weaver and Williams. Robinson Ortíz will get starts if I don’t have a fully-rested starter ready for any games.

This week: 2-1
Record: 102-60, 2nd place, 5 GB from Madison
Old 04-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #289
Paulie123
All Star Starter

27 September 2048

(Reproduced courtesy of SCL At-Bat, the number one app for all the latest SCL news and scores)

SCL teams heading for the postseason
Top seeds Madison look the team to beat

By Tim Curtain, 12:14PM, 27 Sep 48

The Richmond Eagles last night beat the Annapolis Mustangs in a one-game playoff for the second Eastern League wildcard spot, completing the postseason lineup for the 2048 season of SCL baseball.

North Division champions Madison finished strongly to reach 107 wins, and will be the team to beat in the Western League half off the draw. The division showed its strength and will provide both wildcards for the third consecutive season, with the Magpies hosting the Sharks in tomorrow’s do-or-die game. Salem were the only division winners from 2047 to retain their title, but were unimpressive, amassing only a 78-84 record.

In the Eastern League, reigning SCL champions Tallahassee had a dreadful run down the stretch and ended up bottom of the South East Division. Columbus, Hartford and Atlanta all won their divisions off the back of excellent starting pitching.

Western League playoff qualifiers
North Division: Madison (107-55)
West Coast Division: Salem (78-84)
South Division: Baton Rouge (93-69)
Wildcards: Des Moines (102-60) and Lansing (94-68)

Eastern League playoff qualifiers
North East Division: Hartford (88-74)
Central Division: Columbus (94-68)
South East Division: Atlanta (92-70)
Wildcards: Montgomery (89-73) and Richmond (87-75)
Attached Images
Old 04-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #290
Paulie123
All Star Starter

29 September 2048

====================
SCLmagpiesnation.com
====================

Lara out-duels Cantrell to end Magpies’ season

By Maggie Pye | 29 Sep | 25,100 comments

Some Magpies fans had warned on fans’ forums ahead of the Western League wildcard game: if Carlos Lara takes the mound for Lansing, the Magpies will have a difficult night. Last night, they were proved right, as the Sharks triumphed 3-2 to reach the division series.

Starter Kevin Cantrell was excellent for the Magpies, and was unlucky that he was up against Lara in even better form. The Magpies started well, hitting 3 consecutive singles off a visibly nervous Lara in the 1st to bring home Walton White for the opening run. Lara knuckled down after that, duking it out with Cantrell and gaining his reward in the top of the 5th when Yasunari Yamamoto’s monster 2-run home run gave Lansing the lead. That was the only scoring off Cantrell, who finished with a fine 7 IP for 2 ER.

However, Yamamoto hit an RBI single in the top of the 8th off the bullpen to make it 3-1 and leave the Magpies with an uphill battle. They weren’t about to give up, though, and White’s sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 8th plated António Fernández to make it 3-2. Hopes were raised further when, with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, Ángel Ochoa’s double put himself, the tying run, in scoring position. The Iowa Ballpark crowd were on their feet, but Iemitsu Ishii hit a weak groundball to shortstop on the very next pitch, and that was the end of the Magpies’ season.

Montgomery beat Richmond 4-1 in the EL wildcard game.
Attached Images
Old 04-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #291
Paulie123
All Star Starter

30 September 2048

To: Chris Rueda

Des Moines Magpies General Manager’s Office
END OF SEASON ASSESSMENT REPORT

Chris - you asked me to provide a one-page assessment report of the team’s performance this season.

There’s no disputing that the narrow defeat in the wildcard game was a hugely disappointing way to end the year. Although we had an even 6-6 head-to-head record against the Sharks during the regular season, we expected to win the game yet failed to get the job done. But that was just one game, and even historically great teams lose one game in every three. We shouldn’t let one loss detract from the bigger picture of an excellent season. 102 wins was above our pre-season expectations, and in most divisions in most years that would be easily enough for first place and to avoid the wildcard lottery. We have been unfortunate that the North Division has been so consistently strong the last few years.

Pitching has been a traditional strength of the ballclub, and that trend continued in 2047. The rotation lacked a top-level ace, but all five guys were consistently effective. The veterans (Cantrell, Givens, Williams) did a great job of mentoring the younger arms, and Wesley Weaver’s superb year was a pleasant surprise. In the bullpen, Júlio Martínez, Jorge Cruz, James and Copeland are a highly talented young core that had the occasional growing pains but should only improve further. We also have exciting pitching prospects on the minor league roster who will be pushing for spots on the major league roster sooner or later.

Any team which loses Matt Anderson to injury will be weaker defensively than before, but we still managed to be one of the league’s leading defenses. Caro did well standing in for Anderson at shortstop. The outfield defense of Dodd, Limón and Soto stood out, while Walton White’s emergence gave us better defense as well as better offense at catcher. Our infield would have put up better defensive statistics had Zúñiga’s performances at the plate justified getting more starts at third base.

Our offense put up good numbers overall, but this hides a patchier picture when you dig into the detail. We were very reliant on our leading hitters, Jeffrey White, Limón, O’Quinn and Caro. Limón had a career year, and, after arriving by trade, White was every bit as good as we anticipated he would be. Walton White played well and won the starting catcher job, while Ochoa has showed glimpses of his potential since his trade deadline move. However, we were more dependent on the key hitters than I would have liked, and when they weren’t firing we had spells during the year where run-scoring was problematic.

Meeting our payroll limit next season will of course dominate our offseason plans and see the departure of some productive, high-earning veteran players, but I believe we will be able to retain much of our offensive core, and I hope to get more consistent production further down the lineup. That said, I believe that good pitching and good defense forms the heart of any successful team, and this will continue to be our strategic priority going forward.

Signed
Billy DePodesta
General Manager
Old 04-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #292
Paulie123
All Star Starter

7 October 2048

(Reproduced courtesy of SCL At-Bat, the number one app for all the latest SCL news and scores)

Deltas, Brown Bears and Cruisers through after one-sided division series
Atlanta edge Hartford in game five decider

By Buster Oldknee, 9:12AM, 07 Oct 48

Top seeds Madison eased into the Western League Championship Series with a comfortable 3-0 series victory over West Coast Division winners Salem. The Brown Bears completed the sweep with a crushing 11-4 win in the third game. They will next meet the Baton Rouge Deltas, who also won their series 3-0, against Lansing. However, the Deltas won three close, nervy games, each by just a single run.

In the Eastern League, Montgomery’s offense dominated Columbus’s pitching for another 3-0 series triumph. The Cruisers had 31 hits in total over the three games. The Atlanta-Hartford series was much tighter. In the deciding game, the Tarantulas jumped out to an early 3-0 lead, but the Hurricanes’ young offense slowly clawed back the deficit, and infielder Jeff Haines’s solo home run in the bottom of the 8th secured the comeback win.

Division series results:

Western League
Madison Brown Bears 3-0 Salem Ironclads
Baton Rouge Deltas 3-0 Lansing Sharks

Eastern League
Montgomery Cruisers 3-0 Columbus Heatseekers
Atlanta Hurricanes 3-2 Hartford Tarantulas
Old 04-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #293
Paulie123
All Star Starter

17 October 2048

Cruisers cruise into Cup Final Series with perfect 8-0 postseason record
One-run win specialists Baton Rouge edge out Madison

By Tim Curtain, 8:46AM, 17 Oct 48

The wildcard Montgomery Cruisers continued their dominating playoff form with a crushing 4-0 series victory over Atlanta to win the Eastern League championship and advance to the SCL Cup Final Series. It is only the second league championship pennant in franchise history, the previous coming in 2034. Donnie Lee and the rest of the Hurricanes’ outstanding rotation had no answer to the Cruisers’ power bats. Montgomery outscored Atlanta 17-4 across the series.

Meanwhile, Baton Rouge claimed the Western League crown with a close-fought victory over 107-win favourites Madison in last night’s game 7 shootout. The Deltas claimed three 1-run wins during the series, meaning that 6 of their 7 wins so far have been by the narrowest of margins. Madison took an early 3-0 lead in last night’s decider, but the Deltas fought back, eventually edging ahead 4-3 in the top of the 9th and hanging on for the victory. It’s their second WL championship in five seasons.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #294
Paulie123
All Star Starter

18 October 2048

GM’s notebook

The Cup Final Series has yet to start, but we have no impending arbitration decisions so now is the time to start planning for next season and beyond. Obviously the overriding priority for the offseason is to cut the payroll to below $100m. This note summarises the initial plans I outlined to Chris Rueda in a meeting this afternoon.

The current projection for 2049, including contracted salary increases, is $149.3m. Tommaso Chigi and Cy Cox will depart as free agents, meaning that our remaining contractual obligations for next year total $146.7m. So I need to cut at least $46.7m from the payroll. Well, in fact, I need to cut several million more than that, in order to pay at least minimum salary to the players who replace the departures. This sits firmly in the ‘huge problem’ category. There is no point fiddling round the edges. I need to tackle this decisively by trading some big contracts for new players who will earn the salary minimum or close to it. I want to do that while still keeping the team competitive if I possibly can.

These are my biggest contracted earners for next season:

DH Michael O’Quinn, $21.0m
1B Jeffrey White, $15.0m
SP Kevin Cantrell, $15.0m
C Fernando Martínez, $13.0m
2B Roberto Caro, $10.8m
SP Philip Givens, $9.6m
SP Robinson Ortíz, $9.5m
LF Enrique Limón, $9.0m

Michael O’Quinn is an easy decision: he will have to go. We will miss his OBP and the protection he gives to Jeffrey White in the lineup. But I am no longer in a world where I can afford to pay over $20m to a designated hitter. I think prospect Max Marshall, who arrived by trade from Phoenix in mid-2047, could be a long-term replacement, but in the meantime Brandon Farley could do a reasonable job and will get a try-out.

Fernando Martínez is another easy one. He has lost the starting catcher job to Walton White and will be traded. I can’t pay $13m to a backup catcher. Valentín Ortíz, who backed up Martínez the previous two seasons, is a viable option to return to the roster, but I’d ideally like a better backup for White if I can get one cheaply.

I will have to shift at least one of the starting pitchers on my list. Kevin Cantrell has the big contract, but I would like to keep him: he is still only 28 and was my most consistent starter this season. He gives us a near-ace rotation leader. Philip Givens and Robinson Ortíz have similar salaries and performed at a similar level overall for the year, although Ortíz was more up and down. Ortíz is also 27 and entering his prime, whereas Givens turns 30 in June so may not be far off the start of his decline phase. So Givens will be traded. Rhys Nunn is an in-house candidate to get his spot.

Jeffrey White and Enrique Limón will stay. They anchor the lineup and get the fans through the gates. Despite the large salaries, I think they offer reasonable value for money. Roberto Caro is arguably overpaid based on his 2048 performance (.769 OPS) but at 27 can still improve and was my only infielder (except Jeffrey White) to provide reliable offense, and I have no minor league replacements. So Caro stays too.

There are also two easy decisions about cheaper contracts that I will shift. Don Rich ($3.6m) had a down year and can easily be replaced from our strong minor league roster; Jesús Benítez will take Rich’s spot. Backup infielder Felipe Ríos ($2m) barely featured and was poor when he did, and I think a cheap March free agent pick-up would do no worse.

Shifting the contract of O’Quinn, Fernando Martínez, Givens, Rich and Ríos will save a total of $49.7m. That will take our contractual obligations for next year down from $146.7m to $97m. That leaves a small float of $3m for any players I bring in, whether in return in trades or via free agency. There are three new players I’d like to bring in for that: a starting pitcher to take the spot vacated by Givens, a backup catcher, and a backup infielder. Realistically all three will need to be on the salary minimum or on a minor league contract next year.

I’ll need to try and negotiate trades quickly once free agents file, before other teams start to commit their payroll on incoming free agents. I hope O’Quinn, Givens and Rich will have trade value. Ríos won’t have any. Given his high salary, my expectation is that Fernando Martínez has little value either, and is likely to be a salary dump unless I can find a team in desperate need of an experienced catcher. He’s a reasonable player but not worth $13m per year.

If I decide I need to move anyone else, then closer Júlio Martínez will be on the block. He had a great season, but earns $5m and I think Ken James could do well as closer and I have plenty of cheap relievers in the minors who could be called up (and will probably get one or two more in the draft). Jorge Cruz ($6m) earns more than Júlio Martínez, but is my only good lefty reliever, and just generally the league has few young, quality relief pitchers, so he’d be hard to replace.

These moves will only keep us in budget for the coming season. 2050 will still be problematic. Wesley Weaver and Iemitsu Ishii will be eligible for arbitration that season, and Walton White will probably be too as a super-2 qualifier. Pedro Soto is also a potential super-2 if we’re unlucky. Jeremy Williams, Cruz, Júlio Martínez, Carlos Zúñiga and Dave Dodd will reach free agency. That’s a headache for another time. But if we’re out of contention in July then we could have players departing ahead of the trade deadline.

The joys of being a GM at a cash-strapped team.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #295
Paulie123
All Star Starter

19 October 2048

To: Chris Rueda
Cc: Agamemnon Profitloss

Des Moines Magpies General Manager’s Office
PROJECTED ROSTER FOR 2049

I wanted to update you both on our projected roster to start next season. The priority for the offseason is of course to make the necessary substantial reductions to player payroll. We are aiming to trade Michael O’Quinn, Philip Givens, Fernando Martínez, Don Rich and Felipe Ríos as a minimum. My anticipated 25-man roster for next season at the current time is as follows. Ages are as at opening day, 1 April 2049.

Rotation
SP - Kevin Cantrell (29, 4*)
SP - Robinson Ortíz (27, 3*)
SP - Wesley Weaver (24, 2*)
SP - Jeremy Williams (28, 2.5*)
SP - open spot

Rhys Nunn may fill the open spot, but my preference is to find a young, cost-controlled starter via trade. Our cadre of quality starting prospects are not yet ready for major league play, but Israel Padilla could potentially feature at some point in the second half of the season either here or in the bullpen.

Bullpen
CL - Júlio Martínez (28, 4.5*)
SU - Jorge Cruz (27, 5*)
SU - Ken James (23, 4.5*)
MR - Gabe Copeland (23, 5*)
MR - Gustavo Cruz (25, 1.5*)
MR - Rhys Nunn (24, 4*)
MR - Jesús Benítez (21, 3.5*)

Nunn and Cruz are both capable of starting, in the event of injury of loss of form in the rotation. John Powell, Bernardo Merrado, Wade Kelly and Vicente Torres are useful minor league prospects.

Catcher
C - Walton White (26, 2.5*)
C - Valentín Ortíz (28, 1.5*)

I am keen to acquire a cheap veteran to back up White, and have Ortíz as the third catcher in the organisation.

Infield
1B - Jeffrey White (26, 4.5*)
2B - Ángel Ochoa (25, 2.5*)
3B - Carlos Zúñiga (29, 2.5*)
SS - Roberto Caro (27, 3.5*)
BU - Juan MacNamara (25, 2*)
BU - Brandon Farley (25, 1.5*)

I love Matt Anderson’s elite defense at shortstop, but the coaching staff feel last season’s injury has affected his already sub-replacement level hitting and Caro fielded the position reasonably well in his absence. Anderson will therefore start the season on the minor league roster. Our lack of minor league infield depth is a concern.

Outfield
LF - Enrique Limón (26, 5*)
CF - Dave Dodd (29, 2*)
RF - Pedro Soto (25, 3.5*)
DH - Iemitsu Ishii (28, 2.5*)
BU - António Fernández (27, 2*)

Ishii will be the principal DH, but Farley will also see playing time. Terry Lawrence is an experienced minor leaguer. Dave Plummer is a useful prospect but probably over a year away from competing for a spot on the active roster.

Of course, the above is only as things stand today. It is likely that player acquisitions from trading the players listed earlier will change this picture somewhat.

We will most feel the loss of O’Quinn, but I think this roster can still be competitive. We will not achieve 100 wins again but if players play to their ability level I believe we can challenge for a wildcard.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #296
Paulie123
All Star Starter

26 October 2048

Cruisers win first Cup Final Series title after series win over Deltas
Montgomery were just one game from a perfect postseason

By Buster Oldknee, 11:54PM, 26 Oct 48

The Montgomery Cruisers are celebrating their first SCL championship in franchise history after this evening’s 4-1 victory over the Baton Rouge Deltas clinched a 4-2 series triumph.

The Deltas suffered a cruel blow before the series even started with the news that their ace, Dave Frye, had been diagnosed with a strained oblique and would not be on the 25-man roster. The Cruisers took full advantage, winning the opening games 3-0 and 11-4. Game three was a much closer affair, but the Cruisers edged it with a walk-off home run in the 13th inning.

At that stage, the Cruisers were 11-0 for the postseason (including the wildcard game), and just one win away from completing the perfect playoff record. But the Deltas were in no mood to be on the end of a humiliating sweep, and claimed customary one-run victories in games four and five. In all, 8 of the Deltas’ 9 playoff wins were by just a single run. Back in Baton Rouge for the final two matches, the Deltas had hopes of completing a sensational comeback. But Montgomery were in no mood to be denied, jumping out to an early lead in game six and finishing off the job in style.
Attached Images
Old 04-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #297
Paulie123
All Star Starter

3 November 2048

====================
SCLmagpiesnation.com
====================

Limón wins Western League Outstanding Hitter Award

By Maggie Pye | 3 Nov | 4,811 comments

There was nobody hotter in the Western League this season as the Magpies’ Enrique Limón attacked enemy pitching with a vengeance and came away with the Outstanding Hitter Award for 2048. The 26-year-old left fielder hit .319 while collecting 200 hits, 49 doubles, 9 triples, 23 home runs and 93 RBIs. He also scored 112 runs and posted a .396 on-base percentage. He succeeds his now team-mate Jeffrey White, who won the award last year while playing for Lansing.

General manager Billy DePodesta said: “Enrique has had a terrific season and was an integral part of our success. What was particularly impressive is how he maintained his high levels of offensive production consistently throughout the year. I can’t recall a single spell where he struggled at the plate. We are very lucky to have him here in Des Moines.”

Meanwhile, Annapolis phenom Jesús Martínez rounded off his sensational rookie season by scooping the Eastern League Outstanding Hitter trophy. This could be the first of many for the 22-year-old Honduran.

Outstanding Hitter
WL: Enrique Limón (Des Moines) .319/.396/.530, 23 HR
EL: Jesús Martínez (Annapolis) .322/.343/.572, 38 HR

Outstanding Pitcher
WL: Carlos Lara (Lansing) 22-6, 1.90 ERA
EL: Donnie Lee (Atlanta) 21-4, 1.90 ERA

Rookie of the Year
WL: Jorge Cardona (Denver) .269/.313/.386, 16 HR
EL: Jesús Martínez (Annapolis) .322/.343/.572, 38 HR
Old 04-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #298
Paulie123
All Star Starter

17 November 2048

GM’s notebook

- Cy Cox and Tommaso Chigi have become free agents.
- Chigi has surprisingly been designated Type A. However, he’s asking for an inflated $15m over 2 years so I suspect he’ll remain unsigned and we won’t get the compensation draft picks.
- Our former player Al Elliott is a free agent after a good .800 OPS year in Indianapolis. Get this though: he’s asking for $19m per year over 4 years. $19m! Good luck with that.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #299
Paulie123
All Star Starter

18 November 2048

SCLhotstove.com/tittletattle
Magpies’ roster rebuilding begins with trade of O’Quinn to Denver

Posted by Zvonimir Scratchic | Nov 18 | 11:48AM

The hot stove has roared into life early this year, with the announcement late last night that Magpies GM Billy DePodesta has traded star hitter Michael O’Quinn to the Denver Snow Sox. The offloading of O’Quinn’s $21m salary appears to confirm the widely-reported rumours that the Magpies will make significant cuts to player payroll in order to address the club’s difficult financial position. Given the speed of this move, fans will be wondering when the slashing will end.

In the deal, the Magpies acquired Denver’s top two picks from last year’s draft, 22-year-old first baseman Gonzalo Torralda and 19-year-old shortstop Zacharie Garneau. Torralda is the main piece in the deal from the Magpies’ perspective. The left-handed slugger, the SCL #34 prospect at the start of the year, has bags of power and a good eye. The Snow Sox called him up last August, when he hit .207 with 1 HR in 87 at-bats. The Magpies will slot him directly into O’Quinn’s DH role, and hitting #5 in the lineup to protect Jeffrey White. He will not reach salary arbitration for another three seasons. Garneau was Denver’s second round pick last year, and provides the Magpies with a much-needed prospect in their bare-bones infield depth charts. He has off-the-scale pace and avoids striking out. He has all the raw skills to play SS or 3B but needs time on the minor league roster to develop more experience in both positions.

Denver, meanwhile, obtain one of the league’s elite hitters in O’Quinn. He led the league in walks this season, and the Snow Sox will be hoping that his acquisition will help them finally push into the playoffs, after missing out narrowly in the last few years. Denver also received minor league starting pitcher Will Pearson, 23, in the deal.
Attached Images
Old 04-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #300
Paulie123
All Star Starter

18 November 2048

Zebedee Stethoscope
@glasshalfempty

Here we go then #Magpies fans. The cuts begin. O’Quinns gone. Wholl b nxt I wonder? #wherewillitend
12:03PM - 18 Nov Sep 2048

Severino Guadalajara-Smith
@sabermetricjedi

@glasshalfempty O’Quinn was a sabermetrician’s dream. 130 BB in 690 PA. Just 88 K for 15.6% strikeout rate despite such good power, and .407 OBP. Gutted he’s gone, we’ll miss him. #bigshoestofill #thanksquinny
12:06PM - 18 Nov 2048

Roger Regret
@ruetheday

Shame to see a good team being broken up like this. Could be a while before we’re back in contention I fear #shame #whatyoudoingbilly
12:08PM - 18 Nov 2048

Bart Wardrobe
@MagpiesMad

In Billy I trust! #keepthefaith #Magpies
12:09PM - 18 Nov 2048