Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

OOTP Baseball Survey - Help us and win a copy of OOTP 20!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
IanIachimoe
Major Leagues
 
IanIachimoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: paper st.
Posts: 470
Thanks: 681
Thanked 243x in 145 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Starting pitcher (Syndergaard) immediate drop-off?

been managing every game for NYM for about 8-9 years, not sure at the moment (@ work). Syndergaard was unreal for about 5-6 of them. won a few WS titles, always in postseason. triple Crown, MVP, etc, etc.



suddenly, in one year & no injury, he fell off a cliff. HUGE drops in stuff & movement, along with individual pitches. he's sitting at 45 now (20-80).


was this due to being overused? 5-6 straight years of postseason pitching? people like Kershaw are older & still dealing in my league, while Noah is unusable. didn't see the fall this quick.



random? I can drop some pics when at home.
__________________
IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer
 
Matt Arnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,153
Thanks: 844
Thanked 8,732x in 3,436 posts
You sure you're talking about Syndergaard, and not real-life Felix Hernandez?

If you're 8-9 years in, then Thor is probably in his early-to-mid 30s. I'm guessing the RNG Gods have decided that he would hit his decline earlier. Always have to be wary of people when they hit the wrong side of 30.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
IanIachimoe (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 4,843
Thanks: 7,129
Thanked 2,893x in 1,760 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIachimoe View Post
been managing every game for NYM for about 8-9 years, not sure at the moment (@ work). Syndergaard was unreal for about 5-6 of them. won a few WS titles, always in postseason. triple Crown, MVP, etc, etc.



suddenly, in one year & no injury, he fell off a cliff. HUGE drops in stuff & movement, along with individual pitches. he's sitting at 45 now (20-80).


was this due to being overused? 5-6 straight years of postseason pitching? people like Kershaw are older & still dealing in my league, while Noah is unusable. didn't see the fall this quick.



random? I can drop some pics when at home.
It will happen, even to the greatest of the great, through the magic of the player development system. Sometimes it really kicks you in the teeth, like this...He only had a handful of injuries, the worst being elbow inflammation that sidelined him for two months. Every other injury knocked him out for one week or less. First 3 seasons: 58-28, 2.40 ERA, approx total WAR of 27.7, not one year with an ERA+ below 153. Final five seasons: 34-32, 2 SV, 3.77 ERA, approx total WAR of 6.1, not one ERA+ above 123. He was sent to the bullpen permanently at age 31, and out of the game after his age 33 season. Sometimes poop happens. Baseball can be a reeeally cruel game.

This example is from a 63 season random debut league in OOTP16. At that time RL Clayton Kershaw had completed his age 26 season. He came in in the inaugural draft, debuting at age 26, so he was completely at the mercy of the player development system, and the player development gods were clearly not on his side.
Attached Images
Image 
__________________
"I stood at your sink
And I felt your warm water
I washed your dishes
And I looked out your kitchen window
Where I saw a soulful
Gymnast melt in the air and shudder
Just above the snow
Making moves that just weren't there"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
IanIachimoe (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
Hacksaw86
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3x in 3 posts
It could be aging, as mentioned above. You can also lower your "Talent Change Randomness" option and that should minimize those big swings in ratings.
Hacksaw86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
IanIachimoe (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Curve Ball Dave
All Star Starter
 
Curve Ball Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 26
Thanked 771x in 425 posts
It is hardly unusual for a pitcher, no matter how dominant he was when he was younger, to lose his effectiveness once he hits his 30s. We can all make a nice long list of pitchers who, IRL, were great in their 20s only to fall off of a cliff after that. What this anecdote tells me is that OOTP models aging and the effects thereof very well.
__________________
"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing"-Warren Spahn.

Last edited by Curve Ball Dave; 01-14-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Curve Ball Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
actionjackson (01-14-2019), BoofBonser26 (01-15-2019), IanIachimoe (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
texasmame
All Star Starter
 
texasmame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Planet Texas
Posts: 1,170
Thanks: 169
Thanked 259x in 148 posts
S happens!
__________________
Currently stewarding the expansion MONTANA BIG SKY in the N.L. West.
Defeated the Burbank Black Barons, 4 games to 3, to win the 2021 World Series!
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
IanIachimoe (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
IanIachimoe
Major Leagues
 
IanIachimoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: paper st.
Posts: 470
Thanks: 681
Thanked 243x in 145 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
You sure you're talking about Syndergaard, and not real-life Felix Hernandez?

If you're 8-9 years in, then Thor is probably in his early-to-mid 30s. I'm guessing the RNG Gods have decided that he would hit his decline earlier. Always have to be wary of people when they hit the wrong side of 30.
yes, 32 IIRC & almost useless (while his rival Kershaw is still dominating AT 38). was thinking I overused him, somewhat relieved it's random, it's just too bad I gave him Kershaw money.

30M long reliever only suited for mop up duty the next 3 years unless he retires.
__________________
IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #8
IanIachimoe
Major Leagues
 
IanIachimoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: paper st.
Posts: 470
Thanks: 681
Thanked 243x in 145 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
It will happen, even to the greatest of the great, through the magic of the player development system. Sometimes it really kicks you in the teeth, like this...He only had a handful of injuries, the worst being elbow inflammation that sidelined him for two months. Every other injury knocked him out for one week or less. First 3 seasons: 58-28, 2.40 ERA, approx total WAR of 27.7, not one year with an ERA+ below 153. Final five seasons: 34-32, 2 SV, 3.77 ERA, approx total WAR of 6.1, not one ERA+ above 123. He was sent to the bullpen permanently at age 31, and out of the game after his age 33 season. Sometimes poop happens. Baseball can be a reeeally cruel game.

This example is from a 63 season random debut league in OOTP16. At that time RL Clayton Kershaw had completed his age 26 season. He came in in the inaugural draft, debuting at age 26, so he was completely at the mercy of the player development system, and the player development gods were clearly not on his side.

wow, you aren't kidding. thanks.

I should post some pics of Syndergaard when i get home, scary drop off.
__________________

Last edited by IanIachimoe; 01-15-2019 at 01:16 PM.
IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
IanIachimoe
Major Leagues
 
IanIachimoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: paper st.
Posts: 470
Thanks: 681
Thanked 243x in 145 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
It is hardly unusual for a pitcher, no matter how dominant he was when he was younger, to lose his effectiveness once he hits his 30s. We can all make a nice long list of pitchers who, IRL, were great in their 20s only to fall off of a cliff after that. What this anecdote tells me is that OOTP models aging and the effects thereof very well.

I agree, I love it!

the salary is really weighing me down & he's useless. it's the price I (gladly) paid when he was dominating & to keep him in NY for what I hoped was his entire career... (NYM fan IRL).

just thought he might be a bit closer to kershaw at 32 than Felix (that was a GREAT comparison). wouldn't change anything, I'll take the rings, triple crowns, MVPS, etc.
__________________

Last edited by IanIachimoe; 01-15-2019 at 01:15 PM.
IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
IanIachimoe
Major Leagues
 
IanIachimoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: paper st.
Posts: 470
Thanks: 681
Thanked 243x in 145 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
thanks everyone for what I thought was probably a dumb question when I posted it.

cleared my head a bit.

was trying to avoid destroying another young pitcher if I could.
__________________
IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 4,843
Thanks: 7,129
Thanked 2,893x in 1,760 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIachimoe View Post
wow, you aren't kidding. thanks.

I should post some pics of Syndergaard when i get home, scary drop off.
Forgot to mention I used 3-year recalc plus the player development system in this game.
__________________
"I stood at your sink
And I felt your warm water
I washed your dishes
And I looked out your kitchen window
Where I saw a soulful
Gymnast melt in the air and shudder
Just above the snow
Making moves that just weren't there"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer
 
NoOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5,897
Thanks: 592
Thanked 1,577x in 1,283 posts
if it's a huge dropoff i'd bet on TCR, but no guarantees, regardless. aging can be sudden and gigantic too.

from what i understand most RL drops are large and sudden. believe they gave out that tidbit in a thread at some point on the subject. it's definitely modeled to be like that.

you do typically get minor slides any time after 27-28. i think handle success problem relates, for obvious reasons. personality will be an influence for sure too. whether luck or not, i've had a string of guys bomb after winning an MVP lately, lol.. not ratings but results the following year. crazy bad..

Last edited by NoOne; 01-15-2019 at 05:26 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
andjbock
Hall Of Famer
 
andjbock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cambridge, MA, USA Bats: Right Throws: Left
Posts: 3,510
Thanks: 94
Thanked 156x in 88 posts
Maybe you'll luck into a Charlie Morton type whose career doesn't take off until they turn 33.
__________________
A reminder to all from Onyx:

andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (01-16-2019)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments