Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

OOTP Baseball Survey - Help us and win a copy of OOTP 20!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
IanIachimoe
Major Leagues

Thanked 243x in 145 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Starting pitcher (Syndergaard) immediate drop-off?

been managing every game for NYM for about 8-9 years, not sure at the moment (@ work). Syndergaard was unreal for about 5-6 of them. won a few WS titles, always in postseason. triple Crown, MVP, etc, etc.

suddenly, in one year & no injury, he fell off a cliff. HUGE drops in stuff & movement, along with individual pitches. he's sitting at 45 now (20-80).

was this due to being overused? 5-6 straight years of postseason pitching? people like Kershaw are older & still dealing in my league, while Noah is unusable. didn't see the fall this quick.

random? I can drop some pics when at home.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Thanked 8,732x in 3,436 posts
You sure you're talking about Syndergaard, and not real-life Felix Hernandez?

If you're 8-9 years in, then Thor is probably in his early-to-mid 30s. I'm guessing the RNG Gods have decided that he would hit his decline earlier. Always have to be wary of people when they hit the wrong side of 30.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
IanIachimoe (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,893x in 1,760 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIachimoe View Post
been managing every game for NYM for about 8-9 years, not sure at the moment (@ work). Syndergaard was unreal for about 5-6 of them. won a few WS titles, always in postseason. triple Crown, MVP, etc, etc.

suddenly, in one year & no injury, he fell off a cliff. HUGE drops in stuff & movement, along with individual pitches. he's sitting at 45 now (20-80).

was this due to being overused? 5-6 straight years of postseason pitching? people like Kershaw are older & still dealing in my league, while Noah is unusable. didn't see the fall this quick.

random? I can drop some pics when at home.
It will happen, even to the greatest of the great, through the magic of the player development system. Sometimes it really kicks you in the teeth, like this...He only had a handful of injuries, the worst being elbow inflammation that sidelined him for two months. Every other injury knocked him out for one week or less. First 3 seasons: 58-28, 2.40 ERA, approx total WAR of 27.7, not one year with an ERA+ below 153. Final five seasons: 34-32, 2 SV, 3.77 ERA, approx total WAR of 6.1, not one ERA+ above 123. He was sent to the bullpen permanently at age 31, and out of the game after his age 33 season. Sometimes poop happens. Baseball can be a reeeally cruel game.

This example is from a 63 season random debut league in OOTP16. At that time RL Clayton Kershaw had completed his age 26 season. He came in in the inaugural draft, debuting at age 26, so he was completely at the mercy of the player development system, and the player development gods were clearly not on his side.
Attached Images
And I looked out your kitchen window
Where I saw a soulful
Gymnast melt in the air and shudder
Just above the snow
Making moves that just weren't there"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
IanIachimoe (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
Hacksaw86
Bat Boy

Thanked 3x in 3 posts
It could be aging, as mentioned above. You can also lower your "Talent Change Randomness" option and that should minimize those big swings in ratings.
Hacksaw86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
IanIachimoe (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Curve Ball Dave
All Star Starter

Thanked 771x in 425 posts
It is hardly unusual for a pitcher, no matter how dominant he was when he was younger, to lose his effectiveness once he hits his 30s. We can all make a nice long list of pitchers who, IRL, were great in their 20s only to fall off of a cliff after that. What this anecdote tells me is that OOTP models aging and the effects thereof very well.

Last edited by Curve Ball Dave; 01-14-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Curve Ball Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
actionjackson (01-14-2019), BoofBonser26 (01-15-2019), IanIachimoe (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
texasmame
All Star Starter

Thanked 259x in 148 posts
S happens!
Thank you for this post:
IanIachimoe (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
IanIachimoe
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
You sure you're talking about Syndergaard, and not real-life Felix Hernandez?

If you're 8-9 years in, then Thor is probably in his early-to-mid 30s. I'm guessing the RNG Gods have decided that he would hit his decline earlier. Always have to be wary of people when they hit the wrong side of 30.
yes, 32 IIRC & almost useless (while his rival Kershaw is still dominating AT 38). was thinking I overused him, somewhat relieved it's random, it's just too bad I gave him Kershaw money.

30M long reliever only suited for mop up duty the next 3 years unless he retires.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #8
IanIachimoe
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
It will happen, even to the greatest of the great, through the magic of the player development system. Sometimes it really kicks you in the teeth, like this...He only had a handful of injuries, the worst being elbow inflammation that sidelined him for two months. Every other injury knocked him out for one week or less. First 3 seasons: 58-28, 2.40 ERA, approx total WAR of 27.7, not one year with an ERA+ below 153. Final five seasons: 34-32, 2 SV, 3.77 ERA, approx total WAR of 6.1, not one ERA+ above 123. He was sent to the bullpen permanently at age 31, and out of the game after his age 33 season. Sometimes poop happens. Baseball can be a reeeally cruel game.

This example is from a 63 season random debut league in OOTP16. At that time RL Clayton Kershaw had completed his age 26 season. He came in in the inaugural draft, debuting at age 26, so he was completely at the mercy of the player development system, and the player development gods were clearly not on his side.

wow, you aren't kidding. thanks.

I should post some pics of Syndergaard when i get home, scary drop off.

Last edited by IanIachimoe; 01-15-2019 at 01:16 PM.
IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
IanIachimoe
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
It is hardly unusual for a pitcher, no matter how dominant he was when he was younger, to lose his effectiveness once he hits his 30s. We can all make a nice long list of pitchers who, IRL, were great in their 20s only to fall off of a cliff after that. What this anecdote tells me is that OOTP models aging and the effects thereof very well.

I agree, I love it!

the salary is really weighing me down & he's useless. it's the price I (gladly) paid when he was dominating & to keep him in NY for what I hoped was his entire career... (NYM fan IRL).

just thought he might be a bit closer to kershaw at 32 than Felix (that was a GREAT comparison). wouldn't change anything, I'll take the rings, triple crowns, MVPS, etc.

Last edited by IanIachimoe; 01-15-2019 at 01:15 PM.
IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
IanIachimoe
Major Leagues

thanks everyone for what I thought was probably a dumb question when I posted it.

cleared my head a bit.

was trying to avoid destroying another young pitcher if I could.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,893x in 1,760 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIachimoe View Post
wow, you aren't kidding. thanks.

I should post some pics of Syndergaard when i get home, scary drop off.
Forgot to mention I used 3-year recalc plus the player development system in this game.
And I looked out your kitchen window
Where I saw a soulful
Gymnast melt in the air and shudder
Just above the snow
Making moves that just weren't there"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,577x in 1,283 posts
if it's a huge dropoff i'd bet on TCR, but no guarantees, regardless. aging can be sudden and gigantic too.

from what i understand most RL drops are large and sudden. believe they gave out that tidbit in a thread at some point on the subject. it's definitely modeled to be like that.

you do typically get minor slides any time after 27-28. i think handle success problem relates, for obvious reasons. personality will be an influence for sure too. whether luck or not, i've had a string of guys bomb after winning an MVP lately, lol.. not ratings but results the following year. crazy bad..

Last edited by NoOne; 01-15-2019 at 05:26 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 156x in 88 posts
Maybe you'll luck into a Charlie Morton type whose career doesn't take off until they turn 33.

andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (01-16-2019)