Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

OOTP Baseball 20 - Pre-Order Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
mess
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 63x in 44 posts
Donaldson Can't Learn C?

For kicks, I set 2018 LIVE Donaldson to play C when my starter is tired.

He has a high 30s Catching Ability and a decent Catcher Arm so I thought why the heck not... I was having problems fitting him into my lineup against RHP (had players with better splits)

Despite playing over 100 innings at C so far... he hasn't gained a single C rating this whole season.

I konw he isn't going to be GREAT at C... but if he has a C rating above 0 he should (hypothetically) be able to pick up XP at the position, shouldn't he?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
CrazyWR
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 150x in 105 posts
If he is already rated at a position, his rating won't change. If he is not rated but has underlying ratings (SS moving to 2B for example) then his rating can improve from blank to 20 to whatever it will end up at. Donaldson is already rated at C so he isn't going to improve.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong

Last edited by CrazyWR; 01-11-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Edit for clarification
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
mess
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 63x in 44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWR View Post
If he is already rated at a position, his rating won't change. If he is not rated but has underlying ratings (SS moving to 2B for example) then his rating can improve from blank to 20 to whatever it will end up at. Donaldson is already rated at C so he isn't going to improve.
I don't have a screenshot handy but he doesn't have any position rating at C

I was just listing his Ability Ratings
Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Thanked 9,514x in 3,718 posts
He will eventually (peaks at around a 40 or so). Just that by design, Catchers are a lot slower to gain experience (about 3X slower than position players). And it will take a while to get get above a 0 rating there.

Checking through, he probably needs ~150 games there to get a rating there, and from there, could be another 3-4 seasons to reach his max rating. So, if you want him to catch, be patient!
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
4 thanks for this post:
mess (01-11-2019), MJMCP (01-11-2019), stealofhome (01-11-2019), traylor45 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
CrazyWR
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 150x in 105 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mess View Post
I don't have a screenshot handy but he doesn't have any position rating at C

I was just listing his Ability Ratings

My bad, I'm at work, I thought I saw that he was rated there. I apologize.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #6
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Thanked 434x in 253 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
He will eventually (peaks at around a 40 or so). Just that by design, Catchers are a lot slower to gain experience (about 3X slower than position players). And it will take a while to get get above a 0 rating there.

Checking through, he probably needs ~150 games there to get a rating there, and from there, could be another 3-4 seasons to reach his max rating. So, if you want him to catch, be patient!
There's a Josh Donaldson in my Perfect League that shows 282 career starts at catcher. He's only a 15 at Catcher. I do calculate at 46 peak, so that is very slow progress.
Attached Images

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 01-11-2019 at 02:02 PM.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
mess
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 63x in 44 posts
Quote:

Neat.

Thanks for for "behind the scenes" explanation.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 124x in 67 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWR View Post

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong
Wrong about Donaldson? Or wrong in general? I think in general, since I know you can train a player higher than they starting rating on the card. For example, Adames (SS) is rated ~60 at SS and 2B, but while he wont increase at SS if you play him at 2b he will cap around 75. Maybe the primary position (SS in this case) is capped and will never change?
bobbycockstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #9
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycockstrong View Post
Wrong about Donaldson? Or wrong in general? I think in general, since I know you can train a player higher than they starting rating on the card. For example, Adames (SS) is rated ~60 at SS and 2B, but while he wont increase at SS if you play him at 2b he will cap around 75. Maybe the primary position (SS in this case) is capped and will never change?
Yes, any position that is listed on a stock player card is their max for that position. You may find some in the auction house that are partially trained at some positions, but default positions are pre-trained.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #10
Dogberry99
Major Leagues

Thanked 237x in 165 posts
Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Willie Wilson is listed as a CF on his card. His CF rating starts at 60 but will cap at 67. His LF rating starts out at its max though. We may still be able to say that every player has one position maxed, but it does not have to be their primary position.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #11
traylor45
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 22x in 16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
Yes, any position that is listed on a stock player card is their max for that position. You may find some in the auction house that are partially trained at some positions, but default positions are pre-trained.
Have ever seen one on the AH that is partially trained, or even fully trained at a new position? I just ran through several pages of SS on the AH and they all seem to be base (or every identical card was trained up the exact same, which is unlikely)

But if what you are saying is accurate, that would mean every single card in the game is unique, which I had assumed wasn't the case...but maybe I'm wrong. I just figured when it hits the AH it drops back to it's base ratings and essentially just "another card" that loses it's identity among all the other identical cards.
traylor45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #12
Dogberry99
Major Leagues

Thanked 237x in 165 posts
Infractions: 1/0 (0)
I do not know if it is a bug or a feature, but player experience - both stats and positional experience - are hidden from view in the auction house and immediately after purchase. Devs have stated that these should return shortly after being bought, but I have only seen positional ratings and previous years' stats suddenly appear at the start of the next season.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #13
daves
All Star Starter

Thanked 325x in 231 posts
Quote:

Is it faster for a player to learn a position if they actually played it in there career? Dale Murphy was brought up as a Catcher but wound up as an OF.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #14
daves
All Star Starter

Thanked 325x in 231 posts
Quote:

What is the quickest position to learn? 1b? LF if you are normally a CF or RF? 2b if you are normally a SS?
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
Is it faster for a player to learn a position if they actually played it in there career? Dale Murphy was brought up as a Catcher but wound up as an OF.
Right now, no, but I think for next year we may make that change. It makes sense that if you wanted to teach Jose Ramirez at SS, he has played there in MLB, he should maybe be able to learn a little faster there than, say, Arenado, who hasn't. Obviously what they learn to will still depend on their ratings, but should probably be a little faster to reach their max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
What is the quickest position to learn? 1b? LF if you are normally a CF or RF? 2b if you are normally a SS?
C is the only one that's drastically different. All the others players will learn relative to their skills. Generally speaking, it's probably going to be faster for Simmons to learn to play 2B than for someone like Bogaerts, but there are a few factors at play that make it not a simple answer.
Thank you for this post:
daves (01-12-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #16
mess
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 63x in 44 posts
305 innings... still no position rating at C.

He still put up a 4.57 CERA and CS rate of 38.6% so I'm still gonna run him out there as my regular against RHP and at 3B vs LHP. I love platoons.

-1.6 ZR at .620 EFF leaves something to be desired but I'm not missing out on that 2.5 WAR as a batter.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #17
mess
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 63x in 44 posts
Almost at 500 IP and still no skill rating.

I'm sad.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 AM   #18
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

I said it will take around 150 games before he gets any rating there. Keep on trucking
Old 01-16-2019, 04:49 AM   #19
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I said it will take around 150 games before he gets any rating there. Keep on trucking
Any idea if the AH will ever show learned ratings? I bet trained Donaldsons would go for a premium if the buyer could tell.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #20
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
Any idea if the AH will ever show learned ratings? I bet trained Donaldsons would go for a premium if the buyer could tell.
I'd love to see that too, but not sure if/when it will make it in. I know I could get a lot more from my Tulo card to sell who's already trained up 100+ at 2B/3B.