Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

World Series Special! OOTP 19 is 75% Off Until Nov. 1!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #21
Rain King
All Star Reserve

Thanked 251x in 168 posts
I believe they made a change within the last few patches where a Long Reliever should last longer than a standard middle reliever. They should be able to throw at least 50-60 pitches now (I haven't tested this myself).

Either way, I do agree that this is something that needs to be improved.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Cryomaniac (07-19-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #22
spamfilter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 4x in 4 posts
The issue is not that the player is converting a pitcher from SP to RP and back, the issue is the game automatically converts a SP to RP when he's inserted to relieve. It may not happen often, but it will happen when you have an injury, a long rain delay, an extra innings game, etc.

I think the game should not do that, because a SP who could have started that day should not automatically become exhausted when brought in to emergency relieve.

I think the game should allow starters to emergency relieve that retains the fatigue settins of a starter.
spamfilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Cryomaniac (07-19-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #23
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Thanked 302x in 207 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Mass View Post
I understand that a RP in the 7th inning throws harder than a SP who started the game. But we are missing the point that if a SP gets injured or ejected in the second inning, the Long Reliever has to be "intelligent enough" to know that he will be needed 3-4 innings, and will need to stretch out his stamina. As the game stands now, he gives it his all with every pitch.
I agree, especially if you are using a 3+ pitch pitcher who could be used as a starter. It would seem that he should be able to give you 50-60+ pitches if well rested.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #24
itsmb8
Major Leagues

Thanked 192x in 101 posts
Just fix this issue by giving all pitchers a universal fatigue rate and universal stamina rating.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #25
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,498x in 1,210 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone shuffle View Post
The true flaw here is the ability to change a pitchers "position" from "Starter" to "Reliever", and vice versa, at any time. Pitcher stamina should be reflected in how the pitcher is used, and should be able to increase/decrease as such.

The biggest flaw here of course is that you can change the "Position" setting of a pitcher, who for example has been a 1 inning reliever for 3 months, into a starter capable of throwing 90 effective pitches, overnight. Simply/ mostly because he carries a stamina rating reflective of a starter. We all know that this scenario is extremely (if not completely) unlikely at the major league level currently.

from what they say, it is how they are used. i've seen in in more than one thread from markus or matt etc.. (or ?? someone from ootp). so, you don't have to take my word for it.

even if "sp", if used as a reliever their ratings are used as a reliever. (stuff increase, stamina:#pitch ratio etc)

---general reply below --

with the right curve dictating pitches per stamina would work just fine. i think you still need at least 2 curves though. RP and SP are not the same position. they are drastically different and prepare differently for what is required from them, so it makes sense.

if i'm not mistaken, most Long relievers don't go much over ~60 pitches and need 3 days off when they push that limit. they won't typically go longer unless stretched as an SP recently or for near future use as an SP

i don't think ootp is far off from that, historically. i have not seen the recent modifications in action, but they read well. (patch notes mention it) before the changes, it was a bit light - ~40 or so was all you could get without a deathly tired RP and likely hammered.

it's not just about being smart if you are put in due to an injury in 1st inning. if they aren't stretched out for ~100+ pitches as an SP, they cannot just flip a switch and do it without concern for injuring themselves. sp and rp do different things between uses... rp's don't take an entire day off or w/e a normal 'next' day is for an SP

Last edited by NoOne; 07-16-2018 at 08:47 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #26
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 851x in 417 posts
Yeah, there really does need to be a difference in how SPs and RPs are used because they perform differently in real life. A reliever should and I believe does have a bigger bonus his first time through a lineup than a starter does, and conversely relievers get much worse in ensuing trips. That as much as actual pitch count fatigue should keep innings per appearance low.

Otherwise, though, how do you handle SPs vs RPs? I do think that one way to handle it on the other end is if you switch a guy from relief to starting, any amount of use over the past 4 days (3 if youíre in the 4 man era) makes you tired. People always talk about how starters *could* pitch on their throw days but nobody actually does that and as such even spot starters are usually long relievers who havenít pitched in a few days.

For relievers, an RP tossing 80 pitches in a game - for example, a game that goes into extra innings - in many circumstances is like a starter throwing 120. Theyíre zipping that fastball in harder in the first inning or two and even if they back off later, you canít unthrow a pitch, let alone 30. Thatís going to wear a guys arm out unless he came in knowing he needed to throw lighter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn
You bastard....
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #27
jimmysthebestcop
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 66x in 50 posts
In my current game file dodgers moved Jensen to spend. Averages around 5 innings and is pretty unhittable most games. It's so annoying

This is 3rd year he is a starter.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #28
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 649x in 450 posts
I am curious as to what is and was the stamina rating for most of the relievers being mentioned here??? One time I had a reliever with 84 out of 100. I was able to use the guy 3 days in a row a few times. I think that's what is needed to look at .... When I had a stamina rating of 20 I was only able to get a inning every other game if lucky sometimes had to wait 2 games if able. To me I think stamina of relievers mentioned above I wonder if they are low in number ????
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #29
markvacc1
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 9x in 6 posts
Playing 2017, every game, just started, had a SP hit a batter, benches clear followed by ejections. SP was ejected 2nd inning. Replaced with RP with 76 stamina. only got 4 innings before he was tired. Just over half what I thought he should get. What I have been doing is 76 stamina gives you 7 to 8 innings then he comes out, tired or not. Doing badly will get you hooked sooner, but doing great will get you extended, most likely if he is working a shutout or no hitter. Sometimes, if he is tired, I will try to get the last one or two outs for the SO or NH, depending on base runner or not and how much of a lead there is. One thing that does not change is one walk, hit or run and he comes out. Been very satisfied. I also only play with stamina ratings on and batters steal, speed and positions played turned on. Everything else is a mystery.
markvacc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #30
Rain King
All Star Reserve

What was the players' role? 4 Innings from a guy who isn't expecting to start is about as much as I would expect. You don't see major league pitchers coming out of the pen and throwing 7 or 8 innings in any circumstance.
Thank you for this post:
RchW (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #31
Trauma One
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 11x in 7 posts
What about what the Rays are doing this year? Starting a reliever (Stanek mostly) for 30 pitches or so every 2 or 3 days. Is he a reliever or a starter? Interesting to think about.
Trauma One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:58 AM   #32
SirMichaelJordan
All Star Starter

Thanked 852x in 520 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma One View Post
What about what the Rays are doing this year? Starting a reliever (Stanek mostly) for 30 pitches or so every 2 or 3 days. Is he a reliever or a starter? Interesting to think about.

Spot Starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #33
Rain King
All Star Reserve

Quote:
This is something that OOTP is not currently able to model (you could technically start him and use him for 30 pitches, but he wouldn't get the bonus he should get for knowing it will be a shorter outing).
Thank you for this post:
Cryomaniac (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #34
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,051x in 705 posts
Quote:
People have taken to calling it an "Opener". OOTP can't model it yet. And since it's unlikely that it will be any more than a one season thing for a single team there isn't much need to model it.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #35
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 5,096x in 3,115 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvacc1 View Post
Playing 2017, every game, just started, had a SP hit a batter, benches clear followed by ejections. SP was ejected 2nd inning. Replaced with RP with 76 stamina. only got 4 innings before he was tired. Just over half what I thought he should get. What I have been doing is 76 stamina gives you 7 to 8 innings then he comes out, tired or not. Doing badly will get you hooked sooner, but doing great will get you extended, most likely if he is working a shutout or no hitter. Sometimes, if he is tired, I will try to get the last one or two outs for the SO or NH, depending on base runner or not and how much of a lead there is. One thing that does not change is one walk, hit or run and he comes out. Been very satisfied. I also only play with stamina ratings on and batters steal, speed and positions played turned on. Everything else is a mystery.
SP rarely pitch 8 innings. Can't understand why you'd expect a "cold" RP to go 7-8 on short notice.

RichW

"We're supposed to stand up to discrimination, and we're sure as heck supposed to stand up clearly and unequivocally to Nazi sympathizers. How hard can that be, saying that Nazis are bad?"

So much for personality. Albert Belle, a complete nut job was never traded and was the highest paid player in the game, twice!

#Alternativefacts=lies
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Cryomaniac (07-20-2018)