Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 18.8.76 Update Available - OOTP 18 Available - FHM 4 Available - MLB Manager 2017 Available Now

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - New to the Game?

OOTP 18 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 11-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #1
bosgorilla
Bat Boy

Thanked 1x in 1 post
First Game - Owner Goals

Hi,

In my first season with the Indians, my owner gave me as goal to resign Carlos Santana, but I cannot offer him a decent contract due to money issues.

Is there a way to get the owner to give me more money?
I checked my salaries for next season, and there aren't really any big salaries that I can get rid off...

It seems that I also cannot give him an extension because it takes into account Arbitration and Options for next year. If I get to the off-season and don't offer those arbitration/options, is there still time to re-sign Santana? Or will he already have hit the open market?

Thanks!
bosgorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Mr. Marlin
All Star Reserve

Thanked 420x in 211 posts
OOTP owners, much like the real thing, are petulant, demanding, and insist on you making decisions that actually harm your franchise, and then fire you when it does. But, winning in OOTP, much like in real life, eases their disappointment quite a bit. You generally don't have to do everything they ask for. But you should do most of it and outperform expectations while doing it. Real GMs actually have to deal with that too. Just ask Dave Dombrowski.

Or you can always turn the SOBs off. But I think it definitely adds something when they are on.

Last edited by Mr. Marlin; 11-14-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
NoOne (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
ohiodevil
All Star Starter

Thanked 332x in 220 posts
I had that same goal in my Indians franchise and I chose not to extend him because he wanted an eight year deal for like $22mil per, so I offered him a qualifying offer let him walk (he signed with the Cardinals for 7 years and $21.5 per). At the end of the season the owner yelled at me for not resigning Santana, but he got over it since we made it back to the World Series (and lost to the Dodgers). He actually bumped the budget up at bit which shocked me.

I ended up picking up Brantley's option and signed Mike Morse for a minimum deal and they platooned at 1b in 2018 and in 2019 I moved Francisco Mejia over to 1b because Yan Gomes actually became a good hitting catcher. I am in the 2024 season and the guy I drafted (ironically) with the compensatory pick I received for Santana walking is now my starting 1b....winning RoY in 2022 and is only 24 and has hit around .290 with 35 HR and 100+ RBIs in each of his two full seasons.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 970x in 792 posts
mr. marlin had me untill "But..."

turn them off, if it's frustrating. it may be true that it adds a bit more difficulty, but, it entirely random if it's for the good of the club and i don't like that... a bit deus ex machina.. bad writing if it were a book. *some random force showing up and changing things without any cause or reason.

i liked lord of the rings, but if the damn eagles could pick frodo up at the end to save him from an otherwise impossible situation, why the he!! didn't they do that from the beginning and save a bit of time? tolkien wrote himself into a corner, wanted frodo to live... easier to fly the eagles in than re-write large portions of the book to make it sensible.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-14-2017 at 01:23 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
bosgorilla
Bat Boy

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Thank you all for your inputs.
On the last day of the regular season, we received the unfortunate news that the owner has passed away.
His son, does not have the same goal...
bosgorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,700x in 2,166 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosgorilla View Post
Thank you all for your inputs.
On the last day of the regular season, we received the unfortunate news that the owner has passed away.
His son, does not have the same goal...
I've twice traded away the player my Owner wanted me to resign, upgrading in both situations and was not fired. 1st time i did better then playing .500 ball, making the playoffs. The 2nd I lost the ALCS. They tend to want you to resign an over the hill player with no defense. I like the owner goals.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 970x in 792 posts
i'd love to hear if someone has gotten fired after winning a WS due to ignoring owner goals. that same year, not several crap years later or while simply winning a ton each year (100+? 110+? 130+?).
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote