Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.7 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special - Save 50% on OOTP and 60% on MLB Manager!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 04-27-2017, 12:24 AM   #21
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,154x in 741 posts
Some background on the league

I will pause here as I am in the process of adding another minor league just to explain why I like adding these extra minor leagues to this era. Ideally someday soon the game itself will include playable minor leagues going back to 1901 (or earlier) and just the way they presently begin to creep in 1919.

My reason for wanting them is simple. There are a ton of good players who never get to play prior to the 1930's just because there are too few - or prior to 1919 no minor league clubs.

I have found a simple way to add minor leagues so whenever my free agent pool gets too big I just add another league.

The plan was to make the leagues somewhat historically accurate but not 100% accurate as being able to find or easily create logos, caps and jerseys for all new teams was for me as important as having the right teams.

The Western League - which is really the predecessor to the American Association- was the first league I added. I started it in 1884 as my free agent pool really began to grow. I made it a AA level league with a strength rating of 7 compared to MLB which is a 10.

My thinking is I will likely let it run until the end of the 1931 season, as the real American Assn debuts in the game in 1932. However, I will need to move a team or two - specifically the Milwaukee Brewers as I don't want a Brewer team in my minor league as well as one in the American League in 1901.

Two years later I am now at the beginning of the 1886 season and I see over 700 free agents once again so I decide to add the Eastern League next. I set it as a AAA level league with a strength level of 8 so it will be a step below the major leagues. I also make sure as I did with the Western League that I set the financials so major league teams can buy players from these minor league teams and also I set it so that the minor league teams have less money and payroll than major league squads. The reason for this is I do not have a draft so I want to make sure the big league teams are the first destination for top free agents each year.

I had originally mapped out my Eastern League with real franchise movement to begin in 1895 with the idea that league would fold in 1914 when the Federal League begins. I just did this to add some continuity to the story line and my current thinking is I will manually move a number of players from Eastern League teams to Federal League clubs. I will still do the same but there will be some different franchises appearing in the Eastern League over the next decade, mainly because of the availability of 19th century jersey and cap files for some teams and my lack of skill at creating them. But once I get closer to 1900 I will strive for historical accuracy and see what I can do as far as making my own jerseys for teams missing them.

But right now based on the more or less era appropriate jerseys I found the 1886 Eastern League will feature the following teams:

Altoona Mountain City
Buffalo Bisons
Hartford Dark Blues (although I will soon rename them the Oaks)
Providence Grays
Richmond Virginians
Rochester Broncos
Syracuse Stars
Worcester Ruby Legs

The next league I plan to add will be the Southern League. My original timeline had it debuting with pretty much the real teams in 1892 so I believe I will stick to that plan unless the free agent pool really balloons over the next couple of seasons. If all goes according to plan I will fold my Southern League after the 1931 season as the real Southern Association joins the game for the 1932 campaign.

The hope is that will keep me going until I add the Pacific Coast League which I will create to run from 1903 until 1920...at which time I fold it as the real PCL joins the game. If I find there are still too many free agents I will add the Texas League much earlier than it joins the game in 1919.

The main league of this story will be the Federal League, which I will allow to debut as normal in 1914 as an affiliated minor league within the game. I am going to manually move some players from my Eastern & Western Leagues to the Federal League - (ie Buffalo Bisons players will go to Buffalo of the Federal League etc)

After we move to January 1915 I will unaffiliate the Federal League from MLB so it will run as its own league. I am going to set it at Major League level, open the door to Negro League players to sign and give the Federal League teams finances that are probably about 75%-90% of the MLB clubs.

This will hopefully result in the Federal League teams getting stronger and depending on how things go for those teams I may set up tournaments between the leagues or associate them to run a title series between the Federal League champ and the World Series winner.

My thinking now is the Federal League will give the majors a good run and be comparable talent-wise through the 30's and early 40s because of the Negro League players but once the color barrier disappears for the MLB I expect the Federal League to wither and die as it's competitive advantage will be gone. Of course, depending on how finances go and how the Federal League clubs do head to head against the MLB teams it may change.

I expect the final straw that kills the Federal League in this universe will be the expansion west by MLB in the late fifties but that expectation may change depending on how the Federal League does.

So that is the basic roadmap I want to follow with this dynasty. I had originally thought just turn off the color barrier and see how the Negro League greats do in the major leagues but I figured having them still banned by the MLB but given a chance to show what they can do in the Federal Leagues would be a good story to follow....and who knows, maybe the Federal League signs young stars like Joe DiMaggio or Ted Williams and it becomes the dominant league.

But we have a little ways to go to get to the debut of the Federal League.

Right now, it is preseason 1886 and there is another new league to focus on.

Below is a look at some of the key players for the first season of the Eastern Professional League. There are some big names trying to recapture past stardom. Included in those pictured below is Jim Britt, now of the Providence Grays. The 30 year old is a 5-time National League pitcher of the year as he won 309 games over 13 seasons with Brooklyn, a team he debuted with as a 16 year old.

37 year old outfielder Art Allison is the big drawing card on the Syracuse Stars this year. A veteran of 14 seasons with Boston of the National League, Allison was a two-time all-star.
Attached Images
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
DreamTeams (04-27-2017), imhoff2 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #22
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 752x in 405 posts
Excellent concept, Tiger Fan. Love the presentation as it makes it fun and quite easy to follow.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #23
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

A repeat of last season as both league champions successfully defend their pennants. In the American League the Cleveland Blues, led by league batting champ Jimmy Ryan (.372,3,59) and the pitching duo of Toad Ramsey (46-14, 1.86) and Mickey Hughes (40-21,2.13) finish 5 games ahead of the Washington Nationals. The Nationals performance was the highest finish yet for one of the 8 teams that joined the major leagues in 1882.

In the National League the Cincinnati Red Stockings gave the Brooklyn Grays all they could handle but in the end the Red Stockings fell just 1 game short of preventing Brooklyn from earning it's third straight pennant.

1886 WORLD SERIES
The Brooklyn Grays won the World Series for the second time in three years after beating Cleveland in 6 games. The hero for the Grays was Series MVP Dan Brouthers as the 28 year old first baseman went 11 for 24 with 6 rbi's. Brouthers had 3 hits in both Game 5 and 6, both Brooklyn wins, and was named player of the game in both contests.

1886 MINOR LEAGUES
In the Western League the Toledo Blue Stockings won their second playoff title in 3 years as they knocked off the St Paul Apostles 3 games to one in the Western Series. St Paul had won the regular season thanks in no small part to the pitching of 20 year old Joe Neale (36-17, 1.93). Immediately after the Western Series ended Neale was signed by the St Louis Brown Stockings of the National League and inserted into their pitching rotation. In real life Neale pitched for 10 seasons, including 4 in major league baseball where he compiled a lifetime 12-12 record.

In the Eastern League even a 40 win season from former Major League star Jim Britt was not enough to lift Providence into the playoffs. Buffalo claimed topped spot, 1 game up on Syracuse but the Stars prevailed in the playoffs after going the full five games with the Bisons.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
2 thanks for this post:
DreamTeams (04-27-2017), JaBurns (04-27-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #24
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

The Brooklyn Grays became the first team to surpass the 90 win mark as they dominated the National League with a 94-32 record, good for a 16 game lead on second place Cincinnati and their 4th straight NL championship. The Grays offense featured NL batting crown winner Dan Brouthers (.354,10,97) as well as Pete Browning (.349,5,71) and Jerry Denny (.314,20,102), who led the league in homers and set a National League record for rbi's in a season.

The major league record for rbi's was also established this yeas as Washington Nationals outfielder Sam Thompson had 113 runs driven in to go with an AL leading 15 homers. The Nationals won their first pennant as they claimed the American League crown with a 7 game margin over the Cleveland Blues. The title makes the Nationals the first of the 8 teams that debuted in 1881 to win a pennant.

1887 WORLD SERIES

If experience counts for anything the Brooklyn Grays should be heavily favoured to win the World Series. The Grays are making their 9th appearance in the finals, including their 4th in a row, while the Washington Nationals make their debut.

There were no postseason jitters for the Nationals in Game One as they pounded Brooklyn 8-1 thanks in a big way to infielder Jake Drauby's 4th inning grand slam - believed to be the first grand slam in World Series history. After the opening loss, Brooklyn quickly righted itself and responded with wins in Games Two and Three before the Nationals evened the series with a 5-3 victory at home in Game Four.

However, Washington would run out of magic as the Grays would win the next two games to claim their 5th World Title. Jerry Denny was named the series MVP after hitting .391 (9-23) with a homerun and 6 rbis.

In real life Denny holds the distinction of being the last position player to play without a glove in the field. A first baseman, he was also one of the few ambidextrous major league players but he did throw primarily with his right arm. A native of New York City, Denny played 1237 career games and had 1286 hits.

MINOR LEAGUES
Led by former Brooklyn Atlantics star Jim Britt, the Providence Grays won the Eastern League championship. Britt, a 5 time National League pitcher of the year, went 38-24 for the Grays to help them finish second in the regular season behind the Richmond Virginians. There playoff series would go the full five games with Britt pitching a complete game 9-hitter in an 8-2 Providence win in the fifth and final game. Britt's teammate, 22 year old rookie first baseman Billy Klusman (.258,5,62) was named the post-season MVP after hitting .500 with 3 rbis and 3 runs scored in the championship series.

The Western League was a battle between the two Minnesota clubs all season as the Minneapolis Millers ended up finishing 1 game ahead of the St. Paul Apostles to claim the regular season crown. The Millers were led by 24 year old pitcher Jack Horner (35-17, 2.76), who now has a lifetime record of 70-36 after 2 seasons in the Western loop. The Millers would also top the Apostles in the playoffs as they took the series 3 games to one to win their first Western League Championship.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
2 thanks for this post:
DreamTeams (04-28-2017), vrobx1 (04-30-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #25
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Now that I prepare for the 1888 season I see there are over 1000 free agents again. When I notice one of them is an 18 year old pitcher named Clark Griffith I figure it is time to add another league.

There were a number of different leagues starting up on the west coast around this time frame so I think it is time to add the Pacific States Baseball League - which will by 1904 morph into the Pacific Coast League.

For now the league is a collection of 16 teams from far west divided into two sub leagues. The first sub league is the Northwest League which is mainly comprised of teams from Washington state and Oregon including a Seattle and Portland franchise that will shift to the PCL in 1904.

The other sub league is the California League which includes many of the future PCL's charter members.

Here is a look at each of the team uniforms -all of which I found by searching the boards with the exception of San Diego, where I had to add a logo to the jersey of another 19th century team I found.

As for Clark Griffith....well, after I created the PSBL and advanced a bit he was signed by not a team from the new league but rather the Indianapolis Hoosiers of the Western League. However, they quickly dealt him to Milwaukee of the same league and he appears likely to earn a spot in their rotation. Not sure if he will come anywhere near approaching his real life numbers in this sim though.
Attached Images
Image Image 
2 thanks for this post:
DreamTeams (04-28-2017), JaBurns (04-29-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:12 AM   #26
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

The 1888 Major League season saw the schedule expand to 154 games for the first time. The result was a number of new records being set with the most impressive being the team mark of 109 victories established by the newly renamed Brooklyn Bridegrooms (formerly Grays and Atlantics) a year after the franchise became the first squad to surpass the 90 victory mark. Cincinnati would also surpass the century mark for wins in the National League but their 102 victories once again fell short of Brooklyn, as the Bridegrooms claimed their 5th straight pennant and 10th since the league began in 1871.

The Washington Nationals were in a tight battle with the Cleveland Blues for top spot in the American League but Cleveland fell of the pace in the final month when they dropped 6 of 8 games, including 3 straight to the Nationals. Washington finished with 105 wins to claim their second straight American League pennant.

Washington outfielder Sam Thompson (.307,15,80) made a run at the hitting streak record but ultimately fell one short of the 35 straight games Steve King got a hit in back in 1872.

WORLD SERIES
Brooklyn and Washington meet for the second straight season with the Bridegrooms attempting to defend their title. The first two games were played in Washington but the visitors from Brooklyn won each of them by a 4-3 score.

The series shifted to Brooklyn for Game Three but for the third straight game the Bridegrooms earned a 4-3 victory with this one ending in dramatic fashion when Pete Browning hit a walk-off rbi single in the bottom of the 12th inning. The Bridegrooms would complete the sweep with a 5-3 victory in Game Four as Dan Brouthers had 2 hits and drove in 3 runs.

The series MVP was Brooklyn lead-off man and shortstop Ed McKean as the 24 year old hit .500 (9-18) with 5 runs scored. In addition to the World Series MVP, McKean would also be named the top player in the National League for 1888.

In real-life McKean played 13 seasons in the major leagues, primarily with the Cleveland Spiders. Most have never heard of McKean but a book about his life by Rich Blevins, the author compares the to another great Cleveland shortstop in Lou Boudreau and some assert McKean is "no less than the Boudreau of the (19th) century".

MINOR LEAGUES
The Western League saw a repeat of last season in that the two Minnesota clubs finished one-two and met for the second straight year in the Western Series. Last year Minneapolis finished first and then beat St Paul in the Series. This year was the reverse as the Apostles finished in top spot and then beat the Millers 3 games to one in the series.

The Eastern League has played 3 seasons and now has had 6 different teams make the playoffs after Altoona and Hartford finished 1-2 this year. The playoff series went the full five games with Altoona prevailing thanks to an 11-0 blowout win in the deciding contest. The big news all season centered around Elmer Roussey of the Richmond Virginians. The 26 year old became the first minor-leaguer ever to surpass 100 rbi's in a season. Roussey would finish the season with 110 and also led the league in homers with 15 despite a paltry .241 batting average.

The first season of the Pacific States Association saw the San Francisco Seals win the California League before going on to sweep Northwest League champion Butte 4 straight in the Pacific States Series. The big story in the postseason was John J Smith. The Seals first baseman went 9-for-17 with 7 rbi's in the 4 game series. During the season the 30 year old former Chicago White Sox, led the California League in hits with 222 while finishing second in the batting race with a .369 average.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Thank you for this post:
DreamTeams (05-01-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:41 AM   #27
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Winter 1888-1889

ANSON HEADS WEST

One of the game's most recognizable stars will no longer play on the east coast as the Philadelphia Athletics released Cap Anson and the veteran immediatley signed with the Fresno Raisin Eaters of the Pacific States Assocation. Anson spent 17 seasons in the major leagues but the 36 year old was released by the struggling Philadelphia Athletics franchise over the winter. Anson joined the Athletics in the league's opening season as he was their second round pick (16th overall) as a 20 year old.

The 14-time all-star, who also won a pair of World Series championships, leaves Philadelphia as the major league leader in just about every career offensive category including Games (1396), Runs (959), Hits (1726) and RBI's (747).

Anson was a member of 7 pennant winning teams in Philadelphia but the club, much like Anson, has fallen on hard times of late including a 7th place finish last year with their worst winning percentage in franchise history. Anson has seen his production greatly decline the last three seasons, to the point where the 1878 American League batting champ hit just .200 in 111 games a year ago.

In Fresno, Anson will team up with a pair of former major leaguers in 2B John Morrill and SS Lou Say. Morrill played 762 major league games with Brooklyn before joining the Raisin Eaters for their inagural season last year. Morrill was the 1877 NL MVP and is a 4-time all-star. Say is also a major league all-star (twice) and played over a decade for the Chicago White Stockings and Washington Nationals.

The Raisin Eaters finished fourth in the California League last season - the first for the Pacific States Association.
Attached Images
2 thanks for this post:
DreamTeams (05-01-2017), JaBurns (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #28
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

The off-season sees to American League clubs change their nicknames as the Detroit franchise will now be known as the Tigers while Cleveland has switched it's nickname from the Blues to the Spiders. The name changes may have helped the two clubs as they finished tied for second place in the American League but each was 13 games back of the Washington Nationals, winners of their 3rd straight American League pennant.

It was status quo in the National League as they dynasty that is the Brooklyn Bridegrooms claimed the crown for the 6th straight year. Brooklyn won 101 games, 8 more than the Cincinnati Red Stockings, who finished second for the 5th consecutive season.

The Red Stockings have the best offense in the league led by Ed Delahanty (.324,14,111), Mike Tiernan (.303,23,129), Roger Connor (.322,19,117), Buck Ewing (.321,3,72) and Ned Williamson (.312,10,84) and a very good ace pitcher in Tony Mullane (35-15, 2.73) but having one of the worst defenses in the league always seems to prove costly to Cincinnati.

WORLD SERIES
Stop me if you have heard this one before. The World Series matchup features Brooklyn vs Washington...for the third year in a row.

Brooklyn has won the last 3 World Championships but Washington takes the opener on the road by a 5-3 score before Brooklyn rebounds with a 13-3 blowout win in game two that featured homeruns from Dan Brothers (.311,8,94) and Jerry Denny (.295,16,101).

The Nationals go up 3-1 in the series thanks to back to back shuouts pitched by Charlie Sweeney (36-10, 2.03) and Matt Kilroy (37-19, 2.62). The following day the nation's capital gets to celebrate it's first World Title as the Nats club Brooklyn 10-4. The game was 2-1 in Brooklyn's favour when Washington came to the plate in the 6th inning and the Nationals would score 2 that frame to take the lead before adding 3 more runs in the 7th and sealing the win with 4 more in the 8th inning, putting an end to Brooklyn's World Series streak.

MINOR LEAGUES

Cap Anson's debut in Fresno was heavily anticipated but it was clear the Philadelphia Athletics made the right decision in cutting ties with the once legendary player. Even against the lower quality pitching of the California League Anson struggled and while he did play in 126 games, the 37 year old managed to hit just .233. Fresno had been tabbed as a favourite to win the league crown but the with a struggling Anson the best they could do was finish 3rd behind San Diego and Los Angeles.

The defending champion San Francisco Seals fell all the way from the penthouse to the outhouse as they finished dead last in the league. A number of their key contributors from last season had down years but the biggest loss was the absence of pitcher star Harry Staley, winner of 37 games a year ago. The 22 year old Staley was poached by the American League's Detroit Tigers over the off-season and would go 24-25 for the Detroit side this season.

The Padres, led by their catcher and league batting champ Charlie Ganzel (.346,6,72) along with rookie pitching star Hank Gastright (35-15, 1.61) would win the Pacific Series in 5 games over the Northwest League champion Seattle Giants.

The Giants finished with an 11 game bulge on second place Portland thanks in a big part to the triple crown season fashioned by 24 year old outfielder Thomas Turner (.325,45,134) who hit previously unheard of total of 45 homeruns.

EDITORS NOTE ON TURNER - He is a victim, or for him I guess a benefactor of the multiple team in 1 season issue in player creation. It occurs when a player plays for multiple minor league teams in a year and his stats are doubled as the full season totals show for each team. In reality he hit 10 homers with two minor league teams in 1889 and 11 homers with 3 teams in 1896 but he is credited with 20 homers in '89 and 33 in '96 which I assume artificially inflates his power ratings. But I am letting the OOTP development engine run wild on this sim anyway so let's see if this version of Thomas Turner gets a shot at major league stardom.

In the Eastern League Altoona Mountain City repeated as regular season champions with the Syracuse Stars edging out the Providence Grays for the second playoff spot. The Stars would sweep the defending champions 3 straight in the Eastern Series behind the pitching of Ed Beatin, who allowed just 1 earned run in two complete games of work. In real life Beatin pitched a couple of season with Cleveland but in this universe he has spent the first three years of his pro career with the Stars and is becoming a bit of an Eastern League legend with a lifetime record of 67-44 already at the tender age of 22.

The longest running minor league - The Western League - celebrated it's 6th season and has a bit of a mini-dynasty in the St Paul Apostles. The Apostles finished first in the league for the 3rd time in the past 4 years and have a streak of 4 straight playoff appearances. The only Western Series win for the Apostles came last year when they finished second to Minneapolis in the regular season. Perhaps second is a better spot for them as for the third time as regular season champions the Apostles were beaten in the playoffs by the second place club. This time the winner was the Indianapolis Hoosiers, who finished second after 5 seasons near the bottom of the Western loop.

The Hoosiers led the Western League in homeruns so it was fitting that a homerun won the Western Series for them. 29 year old catcher Mert Hackett, who hit 15 homers during the season, drilled a 2-run shot in the 8th inning that proved the difference in the Hoosiers Game 5 6-5 victory over St Paul. Indianapolis came back from a 2 games to one deficit by winning game four in extra innings and then taking the deciding game after trailing at one point by a score of 5-2.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Thank you for this post:
DreamTeams (05-01-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #29
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

I always like to have if not completely accurate at least somewhat era appropriate jerseys, caps and logos for all my historical replays. It is amazing what you can find when you search the mods section as there are some incredibly talented people creating some great add-ons.

However, on occasion I can't find what I am looking for so I have to use my very modest skills to customize a jersey or graphic for my needs.

Since the game has the Philadelphia National League franchise changing it's name to the Phillies for the 1890 season I need a new jersey, logo and cap.

I found a good quality image of a Mitchell & Ness 1900 Phillies jersey so I used the logo from it to create a logo and jersey for my Phillies. Now the logo, which is posted below for anyone who wants it, is made by me but the only credit I can take for the jersey is I replaced a P logo from an early 1900s jersey from either TxRanger or NoPepper with the Phila. logo

Anyway, just thought I would share it here in case anyone wants to use it for their leagues. If interested I can post others as I make them but for most the quality will likely be barely acceptable.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-30-2017 at 10:53 AM.
2 thanks for this post:
Adam1394 (05-03-2017), JaBurns (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:26 PM   #30
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

No franchise movement but some nickname changes as the Washington Nationals celebrate their first World Championship by renaming the team as the Washington Statemen. In the National League Philadelphia will now be known as the Phillies, Cincinnati drops the Stockings and will just be called the Reds, while the Chicago White Stockings will eliminate some confusion with their American League rival Chicago White Sox by changing their name to the Chicago Colts.

The 1890 season saw Cy Young make his debut after signing a contract with the Philadelphia Athletics. The 23 year old went 27-22 in his rookie season as he begins his quest to become one of the greatest pitchers of his era. He will have plenty of competition for that distinction including Louisville Colonels legend Sam Weaver. The 34 year old Weaver is still going strong in his 16th major league season, winning 33 games this year, to raise his career record to 346-296. Weaver began his career with Cincinnati and was an 8-time all-star before running into some injury problems and being cut loose by the Red Stockings after the 1886 season.

Weaver regained his form in Louisville and was big reason why the Colonels won 105 games this season and claimed their first American League pennant since the move from St Louis. The Colonels finished 10 games ahead of second place Washington, ending the Statesmen's string of 3 consecutive pennants.

The Brooklyn Bridegrooms streak of National League titles was extended to seven as Brooklyn won a major league record 113 games and finished 20 ahead of Cincinnati, as the Reds finished 2nd for the sixth year in a row. Brooklyn led the National League in just about every team category and their pitching rotation of Charlie Geggus (41-10, 1.50), Bob Emsile (33-16, 2.35) and Ed Morris (38-13, 2.02) was practically unhittable.

WORLD SERIES
The Brooklyn Bridegrooms continue their longstanding tradition of playing October baseball as they qualified for their seventh consecutive World Series and the 12th in team history. Their opponents from the American League are making their first trip to the series as the Louisville Colonels, but the franchise which originally was known as the St Louis Brown Stockings has a rich playoff tradition. The Brown Stockings made 5 appearances in the series, winning in 1874 and 1881. Both of those wins were over Brooklyn.

The 1890 version of the Series, which is the 20th all-time, starts very much in Brooklyn's favour as the Bridegrooms win the first two games on the road by scores of 4-2 and 10-2.

Louisville answers with a pair of wins of their own in Games Three and Four before the Bridegrooms take the fifth game by a 5-3 score as Ed Morris outduelled Sam Weaver. Brooklyn would win the series two days later as Charlie Geggus won his 7th career World Series game, beating the Colonels 7-3. Geggus, who had 3 starts in the series and won 2 of them, pitched 29 innings with a 0.83 era to be named the Series MVP.

The 28 year old Geggus would win his 4th National League pitcher of the year trophy this season and now has a lifetime record of 192-70 in his 7 year major league career. I could find very little about the real-life Charlie Geggus, other than he was born in San Francisco and came east for a couple of seasons to be a pitcher/outfielder for the Washington Nationals and was 10-9 for his major league career. He did get credited with an unofficial no-hitter in an 1884 game that was rained out after 8 innings.

MINOR LEAGUES
The Toledo Blue Stockings finished with the best record in a very tight race for the Western League title. Toledo finished 1 game up on Chicago while Kansas City was 2 off the pace and Minneapolis was 3 back. In the playoffs the Chicago Browns would knock off Toledo in 4 games led by second baseman Bob Glenalvin, who was named the series MVP after delivering 8 hits and scoring 6 runs in the 4 games.

Further to the west the Pacific States League series had the Fresno Raisin Eaters meeting the Portland Colts. The Raisin Eaters were favoured last season when they added Cap Anson but Anson was not around for this year's championship as he was signed by the Boston Americans and spent the entire year on their reserve roster. Fresno would finish 2 games ahead of Grays Harbor and 4 up on Vernon in a tight race for the California League pennant. Portland had an easier time in the Northwest as their margin on the second place Everett Smokestackers was 14 games.

The best of seven Pacific Series was won by Fresno in 5 games as the Raisin Eaters offense proved a little to strong for the Colts. John Morrill, the ex-Brooklyn National Leaguer who shifted to first base to replace Anson, was the hero for Fresno as he hit .412 with 5 doubles and 5 rbi's in the series.

The Providence Grays completely dominated the Eastern League regular season, winning a league record 84 games and finishing 18 ahead of second place Syracuse. However, it was the Stars that prevailed in the postseason, taking the best-of-five series in 4 games. It was the second straight title for Syracuse and their 3rd in the 5 year history of the Eastern League.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Thank you for this post:
DreamTeams (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #31
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

A pair of nickname changes over the offseason for National League clubs as the Pittsburg Alleghenys are renamed the Pittsburg Pirates while Brooklyn shortens it's nickname from the Bridegrooms to just the Grooms.

No matter what you call them the Brooklyn franchise continues to win. The Grooms, as they are now known, finished first in the National League for the 8th year in a row and 13th time in team history. Led by the bats of Dan Brouthers (.332,11,124) and Pete Browning (.329,6,105) and the arms of pitchers Charlie Geggus (30-20, 1.81), Ed Morris (33-19, 2.28) and Bob Emsile (33-14, 2.78) Brooklyn finished 2 games up on the Philadelphia Phillies and 5 ahead of Cincinnati. For the surprising Phillies it was the best finish in franchise history and, while they lacked pitching, they did have 3 of the best young hitters in the league in 25 year old Billy Hamilton (.348,3,67), 24 year old Cupid Childs (.369,1,86) and 21 year old George Davis (.337,8,80).

In the American League the Washington Statesmen won the pennant for the fourth time in the past 5 years. The Louisville Colonels, who ended the Washington streak a year ago when they won 105 games, slipped to 5th place as they finished with a .500 record.

WORLD SERIES
Another Brooklyn vs Washington series, which we saw for three straight seasons before Louisville ended the trend last year by finishing ahead of Washington. The Grooms are making their 8th straight World Series appearances and have won 5 of them.

Brooklyn took the series opener 4-3 in 10 innings thanks to a walk-off run scoring single from Duke Farrell. The next day Grooms pitcher Ed Morris tossed a 7-hit shutout in a 3-0 win and after Charlie Geggus held the Statesmen to 5 hits in a 4-2 Brooklyn win in Game Three it sure looked like a sweep was imminent.

However, the Statesmen stayed alive with a 5-4 extra innings victory in Game Four. Washington trailed 4-1 heading into the bottom of the 7th but they scratched out two runs in that inning and tied the game with two out in the bottom of the ninth on an error by Brooklyn shortstop Ed McKean. Outfielder Rasty Wright would end the game with an rbi single in the bottom of the 12th to keep Washington's slim hopes alive.

Game Five featured another extra inning game and again the hometown Washington side pulled out the victory. This one ended 7-6 in the 10th inning after Scott Stratton delivered a run scoring single.

Washington ran out of comebacks in Game Six as the Brooklyn bats took over, hammering out 7 runs with the big blow being a 3-run homer in the seventh inning from Tom Daly. Charlie Geggus threw a complete game 3-hit shutout for the win, his third victory of the series which earned him the second Series MVP award of his career.

MINOR LEAGUES
The Richmond Virginians, led by 30 game winner Steve Lambert, won their first Eastern League Series title. Richmond finished second, 2 games back of Hartford in the regular season, but swept the Dark Blues 3 straight in the Eastern Series. The 32 year Lambert, who has spent the past 4 seasons in Richmond after two years with the Chicago Browns of the Western League, won his only playoff start by a 6-1 score but the real hero for Richmond in the post-season was another pitcher. Mike Mattimore, who was 23-17 during the season, pitched a pair of complete game 1-0 victories to lead Richmond past Hartford in Games 1 and 3.

In real life Mattimore pitched for 4 teams in the National League between 1887-1890 and was 26-27 for his career. He has yet to make the major leagues in this sim.

First place continues to be bad luck for the Western League's St Paul Apostles. The Apostles have finished first 4 times including this season but in each case they lost in the playoff to the second place squad. The one time St Paul finished second they won the Western Series.

This year the winner was Kansas City, as the Cowboys finished 8 games back of St Paul but swept the playoff series in 3 straight games. 24 year old Cowboys hurler John McCarty, who led the league in wins (24) and era (1.79) was the playoff MVP as he allowed just 2 earned runs in 18 innings of playoff pitching.

In the Pacific States Baseball Association both Fresno and Portland repeated as league champions but this time the Colts got revenge for last season's playoff defeat, as they ousted the Raisin Eaters in 5 games. Colts outfielder Frank Jones, who spent 6 seasons as a back-up with Brooklyn and won 4 World Series rings, was the series MVP after hitting .409 in the playoffs with 4 rbi's and 5 runs scored. In real life, Jones' major league career consisted of 2 games for the 1884 Detroit franchise.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Thank you for this post:
DreamTeams (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #32
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

A new minor league makes it's debut for the 1892 season as my free agent pool is starting to expand again.

This time it is the Southern League the joins the universe. The AA level league is comprised mainly of scrub players not good enough for the other leagues but there are a few ex-major leaguers in the loop.

The best known among them has to be Jim O'Rourke, who signed with Atlanta. The 42 year old enjoyed a productive career with Brooklyn of the National League, winning 8 World Series titles and making the all-star game 12 times. He had 1470 hits in a major league career that spanned 18 seasons and 1261 games.

The pitcher with the most major league success would be Jumbo McGinnis of the Macon Hornets. McGinnis won 186 games over 10 major league seasons with the Chicago White Sox and Cincinnati Red Stockings.
Attached Images
4 thanks for this post:
DreamTeams (05-02-2017), imhoff2 (05-03-2017), JaBurns (05-03-2017), mjj55409 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #33
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Thanked 472x in 374 posts
Just looking at the HR totals. A number of players in double digits. What settings are using for each of the leagues? The reason I ask is that I am running a random debut league that started in 1901 and just now after over 20 years am I getting multiple double digit home run hitters (leader finally over 20). I set the LTM's to the historical year and auto calc the last day of the preseason. I know it is historically accurate but I am surprised at the totals you are seeing in the late 19th century.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #34
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

I am just using default settings and letting the league modifiers auto adjust. I am a little surprised at the homerun numbers as well, but I have rarely played pre-1901 before so I am thinking perhaps they will come down once we get out of the 1800s
Thank you for this post:
JaBurns (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #35
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

The National League finally crowns a new champion after the Chicago Colts claimed the pennant with a 99 win season dropping the 8-time defending champion Brooklyn Grooms to second place, 8 games off the pace. It is the 7th pennant for the Colts franchise although they won the previous 6 as the Chicago White Stockings.

The Colts success can be greatly attributed to a breakout season on the mound by 23 year old Kid Nichols. The 5 year veteran led the league in wins with 37 and era with a career best 2.01 mark while starting 52 games. 36 year old vetern Guy Hecker (31-20, 2.39) also posted career best numbers.

The American League champions also got a breakout performance from a young pitcher as Cy Young (41-11, 2.48) led the Philadelphia Athletics to their first pennant in 8 years. 9-time American League MVP Fred Dunlap (.331,10,118) had another outstanding season and won his 5th American League batting title.

1892 WORLD SERIES
It has been a while but the Philadelphia Athletics and Chicago Colts franchises have met 4 previous times in the World Series. Chicago won two of the meetings including the most recent one in 1883. The Colts have won 4 World Series titles and 6 pennants in their franchise history while the Athletics have 7 pennants but just two World Series wins.

The Series opened in Philadelphia with a great pitching matchup between Nichols and Young. Cy Young's Athletics prevailed 4-2 in the game as Young held the Colts to just 2 hits.

The Colts won a slugfest in game two by a 15-7 score despite 3 hits and 5 rbi's from Athletics outfielder Jesse Burkett.

The series shifted to Chicago for Game Three and once more Young outduelled Nichols in a 2-1 Philadelphia victory. Both pitchers were outstanding with the Athletics getting the win on a 9th inning rbi single from George Shafer.

Games 4 and 5 went to the hometown Colts. The 4th game saw a dramatic comeback as Chicago scored 3 times in the bottom of the ninth to earn a 6-5 victory while Nichols threw a 3-hit shutout in a 4-0 win in the fifth game.

Philadelphia evened the series and forced a 7th game after Young and the hometown Athletics won 8-3. The Colts came back with Nichols making his fourth start of the series in Game 7 and he went the distance, allowing just 1 run in an 11 inning thriller, won 3-1 by Chicago. Not only did Kid Nichols pitch 11 innings for the win but he also delivered a 2-run single in the top of the 11th that proved the margin of victory.

Despite all of that the MVP award went to Philadelphia's Jesse Burkett instead of Nichols. Burkett was 12-for-29 with 2 homers and 10 rbi's in the series.

MINOR LEAGUES
The pitching of former major league star Jumbo McGinnis was the key to the Macon Hornets winning the first Southern League title as McGinnis dominated batters by going 38-10 with a league best 1.28 era. McGinnis pitched 2 complete games in the Hornets playoff sweep over Mobile and was named the Series MVP.

While former Brooklyn National League star Jim O'Rourke won the Southern League batting title by hitting .365 for the Atlanta Crackers it was a former big league pitcher who really made his mark as a hitter in the league. Smiling Mickey Welch, who was 119-171 over 7 seasons with the Baltimore Orioles of the American League before being converted to an outfielder, led the Southern League with 100 rbi's while batting .297 in his first full season as an everyday player. The 33 year old last pitched in 1887 but spent 3 seasons with Baltimore after that primarily as a pinch-hitter. In real life Welch won over 300 games as a pitcher but did play some outfield in his career.

In the Eastern League the Richmond Virginians won their second straight league title after finishing first in the regular season and knocking off Rochester in the playoffs.

Toledo continues to be the class of the Western League, which celebrates it's 10 season of operation next year. The Blue Stockings won their 3rd league title and made the playoffs for the 5th time.

In the Pacific States Baseball Association the Grays Harbor Lumbermen set a record by winning 100 regular season games. The California League champs would win 4 more in the playoffs as they knocked off the Northwest League winners from Portland in 5 games to claim the post-season title. It was the third straight Northwest title for the Colts.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Thank you for this post:
DreamTeams (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:08 PM   #36
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

After a 1 year break we are back to seeing Brooklyn in the World Series as the Grooms claimed their 9th National League pennant in the past 10 years. Brooklyn finished 10 games ahead of the second place Chicago Colts, winners a year ago. Charlie Geggus (29-13, 2.81) and Ed Morris (21-12, 4.25) remain the key to the Brooklyn rotation but third starter Bob Emslie (16-12, 3.18) missed the last two months of the season with an elbow injury. 35 year old first baseman Dan Brouthers (.362,11,104) is the key to the Grooms offense especially with Pete Browning (.362,3,58) missing half the year with an injury but he will return for the World Series.

The Grooms will face the Philadelphia Athletics, who won the American League pennant for the second straight season. The Athletics finished 10 ahead of Detroit and 11 games up on third place Baltimore. Cy Young (31-12, 2.82) and Frank Nash (32-14,3.00) anchor the best pitching staff in the American League while Fred Dunlap (.375,10,124) has another monster year but was denied his 10th MVP award as he finished second in the balloting to teammate George Van Haltren (.354,8,82). Outfielder Jesse Burkett (.368,6,74) also played a key role in the Philadelphia offense.

WORLD SERIES
The visiting team wins each of the first five games of the World Series. Cy Young and the Athletics take Game One in Brooklyn by a 5-3 score and then edge the Grooms 4-3 in Game Two. The series switches to Philadelphia but the Grooms Charlie Geggus outduels Young 4-3 in the third game. Brooklyn wins a laugher 17-5 in Game Four before scoring twice in the 10th inning of Game Five to claim a 5-3 victory.

Brooklyn breaks the trend of the visiting side winning by hammering the Athletics 14-5 in Game Six to win the World Series for the record 9th time and 6th time in the past 8 years. 28 year old Brooklyn outfielder Tom Sexton, who hit .455 with 6 rbi's in the series, is named the Most Valuable Player. Sexton played in 109 games this season for the Grooms and batted .328 but has generally been the club's fourth outfielder for his entire 10 year major league career.

There is very little I can find about the real-life Tom Sexton. His major league career consisted of 12 games for the Milwaukee Brewers of the Union Association in 1884. The native of Rock Island, Illinois also played from 1883-1887 in the Northwestern League and was primarily a shortstop. I did find a brief note in a book called The Rise of Milwaukee Baseball that said Sexton left the Brewers and signed with Toledo in 1885 because of a contract dispute regarding not being advanced money.

MINOR LEAGUES
Richmond's two year hold on the Eastern League title came to an end as the Virginians slipped to 6th place in the standings. Altoona finished first with 78 victories, 5 more than Providence. The Mountain City side would sweep Providence 3 straight in the Eastern Series led by regular season batting champ Charlie Hall, who was named Series MVP after going 6-for-11 in the 3 games.

The second season of the Southern League saw the defending champion Macon Hornets return to the post-season, but they fell in 5 games to the team with the best regular season record - the New Orleans Pelicans. 23 year old rookie Jimmy Collins, who in real-life would go on to enjoy a long major league career primarily with Boston, would be the hero of the series after hitting a bases loaded, bases clearing double in the bottom of the 8th inning of the deciding game, lifting the Pelicans to a 4-3 victory. The regular season star of the Southern League was Mobile Blackbirds 20 year old outfielder Tuck Turner, who hit .429 in 134 games - the highest average in any league this season. Late in the season Tuck Turner was sold to the Boston Americans, whom he is expected to suit up for next season.

The 10th season of the Western League saw the loop's two most successful franchises meet in the playoffs. Toledo and St Paul have each made 6 trips to the Western Series. The Apostles prevailed this team as they swept the Blue Stockings in the series.

In the Pacific States Association the Grays Harbor Lumbermen successfully defended their championship with a victory in 5 games over the Northwest League winning Seattle Giants. Led by the pitching trio of Curley Maloney (35-13, 1.41), Dudley Payne (33-13, 2.46) and John H Fitzgerald (37-9, 2.01) the Lumbermen completely dominated their California League rivals and finished with a league record 109 victories.

Seattle had a star attraction as well in outfielder Thomas Turner. The 28 year old, who club 45 homers as a rookie in 1889, had another 28 this season, double the amount of any other player in the Pacific States Association. Turner now has 139 homeruns in his career. That total is more than any other player has hit in any league. Second on the list is longtime Brooklyn Groom infielder Dan Brouthers, who has 135 homers in his career but Brouthers needed 1777 games to hit that many while Turner has done it in 686 games.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 05-03-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Thank you for this post:
DreamTeams (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 11:16 PM   #37
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Tuck Turner - future superstar?

I wont get to finishing off 1894 tonight but I did get through the regular season and need to talk a little bit about Tuck Turner.

He was the guy who tore up Southern League pitching last season by batting .429 as a 20 year old with the Mobile Blackbirds and was signed by the Boston Americans at the end of the season. A spring training injury limited Turner to 90 games but he still managed to win the American League batting title by hitting an amazing .487. Turner had company in those lofty numbers as Philadelphia Athletics outfielder Jesse Burkett batted .477. Offense was up throughout the league as 4 other players hit between .400 and .402 but certainly the story was Turner and Burkett.

Burkett is well known to most but Turner may become the surprise superstar of his era in my league as I am playing with the OOTP development engine enabled instead of recalculating ratings.

Turner did enjoy some very good success for a limited time in real life. From Wikipedia here is the real life story on Tuck Turner: Born in Staten Island, "Tuck" broke into the National League with the Philadelphia Phillies in 1893 at the age of 20. In reality he was 26, being born in 1866, but as was a common practice in baseball at the time, Turner told everyone he was younger than he really was. In 1894, Turner was part of one of the great hitting outfields in baseball history with Billy Hamilton, Sam Thompson, Ed Delahanty, and Turner all hitting over .400 for the year. Turner finished second that season with a .418 batting average to Hugh Duffy, who also happened to set the single-season batting average record of .440. For those Phillies teams though, a pennant wasn't to be as the late 1890s were the peak of the powerful Original Baltimore Orioles and Boston Beaneaters.

Turner's best seasons were 1894 and 1895, with Tuck leading the league in hitting with a .411 batting average through August 1895. By the tail end of 1895 and the beginning of 1896, Turner had lost his batting touch and so was traded to St. Louis for Duff Cooley. According to accounts in the defunct sports journal, The Sporting Life, Turner contracted malaria with recurrent attacks in 1897 and 1898, which is said to be the cause of Turner to suddenly lose his touch with the bat. On October 3, 1897 while playing for St. Louis, Turner accomplished a rare feat by hitting an inside-the-park grand slam. Turner's .418 batting average in 1894 is ninth all-time for single-season MLB batting average and also the highest in a single season for a switch hitter.

Before reaching the majors, Turner was a paid player in the Buffalo Amateur Baseball League of the Amateur Athletic Union. From 1899 to 1901, Turner played with the Hartford Indians in the Eastern League, replacing legendary Louis Sockalexis in the field his first season. Turner's post-majors career included stops in the Western League, Connecticut League and New England League. He was inducted into the Staten Island Sports Hall of Fame in 2011.

There is also an interesting article on Turner and baseball in his era from SABR that can be found here

https://sabr.org/research/tuck-turne...hillies-season
Attached Images
4 thanks for this post:
DreamTeams (05-04-2017), imhoff2 (05-04-2017), JaBurns (05-04-2017), mjj55409 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 10:50 PM   #38
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

No franchise movement or name changes in the major leagues but a couple of moves in the Southern League as the Montgomery Colts have moved to Nashville where they will be known as the Tigers. Meanwhile the Birmingham Gays have decided to shift to Montgomery where they will remain as the Grays. I am trying to duplicate real-life league movement as much as possible for the Southern League as the information was fairly easy to find.

Offense was the name of the game in 1894 as the bats exploded around the league. In addition to Tuck Turner's record setting .487 batting average for the Boston Americans a number of other single season marks fell. The Athletics Jesse Burkett hit .477 and set a new record for hits in a season with 243 and drove in 130 runs this season which would have been a new record had Jack Clements of Washington not had 134 rbi's this season. Washington's Bill Hassamaer hit a record 59 doubles while Jake Stenzel of the Chicago Colts set the triples mark with 46.

Brooklyn won yet another National League pennant, finishing 17 games ahead of the second place Chicago Colts. However, the American League had a first time champion as the Detroit Tigers, who joined the league in 1882 as the Wolverines, beat Washington by 5 games to win their first pennant. The Tigers had 3 big bats in Bug Holliday (.357,15,102), Bill Everitt (.363,3,109) and Hughie Jennings (.400,2,108) as well as pitcher Ed Morris (30-10, 3.70), who was acquired from Brooklyn during the season. Detroit's best hitter, 22 year old Willie Keeler, missed almost the entire year as he was suffering from headaches after colliding with a teammate in a game in early May.

WORLD SERIES
The Tigers won the first two games at home including Game Two that saw former Brooklyn hurler Ed Morris beat his former teammates 9-4. Brooklyn rebounded with a win in Game Three but the Tigers took the next two with Morris pitching the series clinching 8-1 victory in Game 5. Tiger third baseman Bill Everitt had an amazing series at the plate, going 13-for-23 with 6 rbi's to win the MVP award.

In real life Everitt played 7 seasons of major league baseball for the Chicago Colts/Orphans and Washington Senators. I could not find much else about him other than he finished his career with Denver and Colorado Springs of the Western League. He was a lifetime .317 hitter in 698 major league games.

MINOR LEAGUES
In the Eastern League Altoona won it's second straight playoff after beating second place Syracuse in a series that went the full five games. While the batters dominated the minor leagues as they did in the majors, there were a few pitchers who enjoyed outstanding seasons and none moreso that 25 year old Ted Breitenstein. The Altoona lefthander led the Eastern loop in wins with 34 and era at 2.42. In four seasons with the Mountain City club the St Louis native is 84-51. In real life Breitenstein would make his major league debut for the St Louis Browns in 1891 and pitch 11 seasons in the big leagues, posting a record of 160-170. His contract has yet to be purchased by a major league team in this sim.

In the Southern League the Birmingham Grays moved to Montgomery and won a title for their new city. Montgomery actually finished second, 4 games back of Atlanta, during the regular season but beat the Crackers in a 5 game series. The big story in the Southern League was Montgomery first baseman Ed Slater who hit an unheard of 76 homers and drove in 221 runs.

The issue for Slater was in real life he played for two teams in his rookie pro season of 1893, hitting 35 homers but because he was on two teams the numbers are doubled and he is credited with 70 homers that season. After the year I manually edited his power rating as after hitting 35 in real life that season he never hit more than 5 in any subsequent year.

The Chicago Browns won the Western League title after finishing first, 5 games up on the St Paul Apostles. The Apostles made the playoffs for the 7th time, but lost for the 5th time after the Browns snapped a 4-4 tie with an rbi single in the bottom of the 8th inning from Mattie McVicker, lifting Chicago to a 5-4 win in the 5th and deciding game. McVicker, a career minor leaguer in real life, hit just .267 during the season and started only 24 games, but he was the playoff hero for the Browns.

There were a couple of good playoff battles on the west coast as the Bellingham Yankees finished 1 game up on Seattle to win the Northwest League while the Grays Harbor Lumbermen won their third straight California League title, with a 3 game margin over second place Fresno. Led by Curley Maloney's 3 World Series wins the Lumberman won the Pacific States Series in 6 games. It was their third straight title.

Seattle's Thomas Turner (.356,27,128) won the Northwest League triple crown and continues to state a case as to why he is the best hitter not playing in the major leagues. In 6 seasons with Seattle he has led his league in homeruns all six years, in rbi's 5 times and in batting average twice.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Thank you for this post:
DreamTeams (05-06-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #39
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Ed Slater

ED SLATER

As mentioned above at the age of 22 Ed Slater tore up the minor league record books by socking 76 homers in 138 games for the Montgomery Rebels. The reason is the problem the database reading baseball reference has when players play for two teams in a single season as Slater did in 1893. In real life Slater hit a total of 35 homers in the New England League with Portland and Dover but the game shows it as 70 homers giving him huge power ratings.

I can't find anything on the real life Ed Slater, mainly because google search seems useless as he apparently shares a name with a current rugby player. I have no idea why he had such a big season for homers in 1893 when the stats that are available show him hitting just 1 round-tripper in twice as many games in the same league 3 years later. Maybe it is a data error and he never did hit the 35 homers but either way he likely will hold his place in history as the minor leagues single season homerun king for many, many years.

I did edit his power ratings down a bit but he may still go on to have a great minor league career in this world, and maybe even make the major leagues.
Attached Images
Thank you for this post:
DreamTeams (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #40
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

A number of minor league franchise moves in the Eastern League as I try to allign leagues with the real teams of the era. Altoona Mountain City has moved to Scranton and will be known as the Coal Miners. The Worcester Ruby Legs are now known as the Maroons and are based in Springfield, Mass. Hartford has moved to Toronto where they will be known as the Canucks. Finally, the Richmond Virginians are now the Wilkes Barre Coal Barons.

In the Southern League the Macon Hornets have moved to Little Rock and will be the Travelers.

The Detroit Tigers successfully defended their American League pennant as they finished 7 games up on the Boston Americans and 9 ahead of Louisville. The Tigers again had a strong offense as a healthy Willie Keeler (.359,2,46) joined Hughie Jennings (.358,2,91), Bill Everitt (.351,4,66) and Dummy Hoy (.298,7,100). While Keeler was healthy another key pice from last year Bug Holliday hit .367 but missed the last half of the season with an injury. Former Brooklyn ace Ed Morris (30-17, 2.78) was again the leader of the Detroit pitching staff.

Boston Americans outfielder Tuck Turner saw his average plummet nearly 100 points from his record setting 1894 seasons, but the 22 year old still led the American League in batting with a .390 average.

In the National League, Cincinnati outfielder Ed Delahanty (.397,18,130) had a career year at age 27, finishing just 1 homer shy of the triple crown. Unfortunately his Cincinnati Reds could do no better than third place as once again the Brooklyn Grooms were the class of the National League, winning the pennant for the 11th time in the past 12 seasons.

WORLD SERIES
A rematch of last season and the series starts the same way with the Detroit Tigers winning the first two games against the Brooklyn Grooms. Game One saw former Grooms hurler Ed Morris outduel his old teammate Charlie Geggus in a 5-1 Detroit win while the Tigers took the second game 5-3 so they were heading home with a comfortable 2 games to none series lead.

Morris again got the best of Geggus in Game Three as Detroit won 7-4 but Brooklyn remained alive with a 5-2 victory the following day. Geggus went on short rest in Game Five and the Grooms won by a lob-sided 11-4 score to cut the Detroit lead in the series to 3 games to two.

Ed Morris took the hill for the Tigers in Brooklyn but the Detroit ace lasted just 5 innings as the Brooklyn hitters dominated the game with a 12-3 victory. Grooms outfielder Pete Browning did most of the damage with 3 hits including a pair of doubles and 5 rbi's in the win.

After trailing 3 games to none Brooklyn has forced a 7th game in the series and it was a game chock full of drama. Charlie Geggus, now 33 years old and with a lifetime regular season record of 343-147 plus another 14 playoff victories for Brooklyn, took the mound and was promptly greeted by 2 Detroit runs in the opening frame courtesy of a Dan McGann homerun. Brooklyn would get one back in the home half and tie the game on an rbi single from Pete Browning in the 6th inning.

In the 8th the Grooms looked to have the series wrapped up when they scored 3 times to go up 5-2 with just 3 outs separating them from their 10th World Series title. Charlie Geggus would never get those three outs as he allowed 4 Detroit singles and then a grand slam homerun from Hughie Jennings before giving way to a reliever. Detroit would go to the bottom of the ninth with a 7-5 lead.

Brooklyn wasn't done yet as their lead off man Jack McCarthy hit an inside the park homerun off of Detroit starter Hardie Henderson. Eddie Hogan relieved Henderson and got 3 straight outs to preserve the 7-6 victory and Detroit's second straight World Series title.

MINOR LEAGUES
For the first time the Eastern League needed an extra game to determine the regular season champion as both the Buffalo Bisons and Scranton Coal Miners finished the year with 74-52 records. Buffalo took the tiebreaker game 4-2 to claim top spot and home field advantage for the playoff series. Despite that advantage the Bisons would drop 3 of 4 to Scranton as the Coal Miners, who moved from Altoona over the winter, won their third straight league title.

Offense continued to be the story of the Eastern League season and the leader was Buffalo rookie Stuart Sanford (.325,39,134), who had a huge season for the Bisons. The batting crown went to Jerry McCormick of the Toronto Canucks, after the 33 year old former New York Gotham third baseman hit .407 to lead the league for the second straight season.

The Atlanta Crackers finished with the Southern League's best record for the second straight season but were once again upended in the playoffs as the second place Mobile Blackbirds won the Southern Series in 5 games. 29 year old E. Pennell of New Orleans won the triple crown (.382,19,111) - the first time that has been accomplished in the Southern loop. I can't find anything out about Mr. Pennell other than the in game listed real-life stats which show he played 38 games for Portland (of I assume the New England League) in 1893, batting .415 with 6 homers and 36 rbi's in 38 games. One other Southern League note: Ed Slater, who hit 76 homers in 1894 saw his totals dip to 11 homeruns this season.

In the Western League the Toledo Blue Stockings swept the Columbus Buckeyes in the second all-Ohio matchup in league history. The Blue Stockings are the league's most successful team with 4 Western Series titles and 7 trips to the series. Columbus has been there twice but lost to Toledo on both occasions.

The Grays Harbor Lumbermen are becoming a dynasty in the Pacific States Association. The Lumbermen won their 4th straight Pacific Series title after dominating the California League. The Lumbermen have a balanced offense with 6 starters hitting over .300 led by Marty Hogan (.378,16,123) and W. Best (.349,15,130) as well as two of the best starting pitchers in all of the minor leagues in Curley Maloney (34-13, 3.48) and John H Fitzgerald (33-12, 4.42).
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
3 thanks for this post:
DreamTeams (05-06-2017), imhoff2 (05-06-2017), JaBurns (05-06-2017)