Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 12-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
Out of the Vault Baseball

Forward

Hi there, Iím Beechnut. Youíre welcome to skip to the next post if you wanna get right to the in-game action.

Name:  logo_fallout_2.png
Views: 478
Size:  36.4 KB

I began working on this project in the spring of 2016. I was inspired while playing Fallout 4, as Iíd spent hours upon hours building little ballparks in my settlements. It occurred to me I could take screenshots of my parks and load them into OOTP, and from there the wheels really started turning.

At the time, I thought I had a pretty original idea to incorporate the Fallout universe into OOTP. After putting down some notes and doodles, I searched the forums and realized the likes of StLee, RaUni, farmkidD2, and racer06 have already had their cracks at this, although StLee is the only one I noticed who really developed his ideas into something more substantial. I enjoyed reading the different ideas other people had on the whole concept, although I was a little torn when Iíd spot a specific idea or team name already in place in someone elseís world.

I stayed committed to the project because it was something I genuinely enjoyed tinkering with. My game went through a few different iterations with changes to how many minor league levels there were, feeders or no feeders, various financial settings, reserve clause vs. free agency, etc. By far, the most time I spent was on the XML files. I chipped away at the tens of thousands of lines of text in the english and world files, as well as the storylines, tweaking what I could to create a more immersive experience.

I took some time off from the project and came back to it when I got more creative with the in-game graphics. I customized the background screens, loading screens, achievement icons, and other smaller bits within the skin folder, and wow, what a difference that made! I find myself closing and reopening the game all the time just to see the new graphics.

Name:  loading screen.JPG
Views: 493
Size:  245.7 KB
Name:  screenshot_2017-12-10_17-29-34.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  412.5 KB

Speaking of graphics, there are some logos, jerseys, hats, and other artistic bits that I've created or modified myself, but there are many others I cannot take credit for. Thanks to the deeply invested modding community I've been able to utilize a variety of resources, like cephasjames logos and uniforms. I also want to thank justafan for his Jersey/Ballcap Creator and Pickoff program, and eriqjaffe for his online Cap/Jersey Maker.

As I write this, Iím already conflicted inside because Iíve been waiting so long to get this game going, and while Iím realizing that writing about my league is immersing me even further, Iím also discovering how much slower my game play will be as a result. I wonít make any promises about the frequency of my posts or how well my universe will match Fallout lore, but as long as Iím having fun playing and writing, I hope youíll have fun reading.

Last edited by Beechnut; 12-10-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Beechnut is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
imhoff2 (12-10-2017), pgjocki (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
3/23/2277

Hot damn, I got the job! The big wigs who run the Vault-Tec Baseball Academy want me to start immediately as Overseer for the Vault 34 Ravens. Such history in that vault. I mean, the Boomers came out of there! My contract runs me through the 2279 season at ©43,000 per year. I canít wait to get started.

Kids have been working out for weeks now and from the initial reports Iím getting, it looks to be a good squad, lots of potential. John Mercer and Mike Lahti have looked good in their bullpens, but my overall top player is Ryan ďArcade GannonĒ Blaylock. Scouts paint him as a high contact/speed guy with a discerning eye at the plate and outstanding work ethic. Heís listed at SS but I see him moving to 3B in the future. To top it off, heís only 16, so Iíve got him for three more years!

Name:  wbl_2277-03-23_18-08-19.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  351.7 KB

See, in the VTBA, guys enroll at 16, maybe 17, and are draft eligible at 20. Once drafted, you exit the vault to actually play above ground. I cannot put into words what that means to these shut-in dwellers. Imagine living inside an enormous underground tin can with no natural light, no fresh air, and barely a memory of the sun, the moon, or the stars. In many cases, these guys were born and raised in the vault. Theyíve heard stories of the Wasteland, maybe seen pictures, but never experienced life outside their bubble.

Iíll admit Iím a little worried about a potential disconnect between my players and I. Iím not too familiar with the vault lifestyle. I was born out in the Wasteland and had to fight to survive from day one. I learned early on how to handle a pipe pistol so I could clear the yard of pesky radroaches, bloatflies, even molerats. I was raised smart; stick to the roads you know, search every corpse you find, carry plenty of water and ammo, and donít mess with the big game. The first time I saw a mirelurk it scared the hell out of me. I can only imagine encountering a yao guai, never mind a deathclaw. These kids Iím in charge of now? I bet their biggest problem is losing count of all those bottles of purified water.
Thank you for this post:
imhoff2 (12-10-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
3/25/2277

A word on Vault-Tec.

Vault-Tec was the company that designed a variety of highly advanced, experimental, and super hush-hush military technologies for the government. They also built underground shelters all across the country before the bombs fell in 2077. When the sirens blared, citizens were ushered into the vaults, nearly all of which turned out to be horrible experimental chambers. Vault-Tec was not out to save humanity, but to conduct highly immoral research on unsuspecting human specimens.

My new home in Vault 34 was originally stocked with an incredible armory and every single dweller was given unrestricted access to it. In time, the vault became overpopulated, the Overseer panicked and locked the armory down, riots ensued, and major systems were damaged. Undetected radioactive gas leaked in and letís just say the quality of life deteriorated rapidly.

Fast forward a ways into the 23nd century and most vaults have been unsealed. Some are ghost towns, while others remain inhabited. Survivors of the Great War and their descendants deciphered how to make do with the rubble and desolation that was strewn coast to coast. As communication improved and more towns were cleared of raiders, feral ghouls, and anything else that kept the people from living peacefully, interest in expanding leisure activities began to grow.

Luckily, baseball gear was not uncommon. Youíd find an old leather glove here, a ball there. The tricky thing was finding a bat that hadnít been modified with barbed wire or saw blades. On the strength of caravaneers, more and more gear was circulating to the major settlements. Soon, there was enough interest that the 8-team Wasteland Baseball League was established, and below that the Scavenger Baseball League. So much excitement brewed so quickly that a feeder system needed to be developed. Presto! The Vault-Tec Baseball Academy, a 16-team instructional league, was born.

Name:  vault-tec_baseball_academy_logo_glossy_0067b1_fcf675.png
Views: 433
Size:  12.5 KB
Name:  vtba teams 1.JPG
Views: 436
Size:  24.9 KBName:  vtba teams 2.JPG
Views: 435
Size:  25.3 KB

Last edited by Beechnut; 12-09-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Thank you for this post:
imhoff2 (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
4/1/2277

I’ve been in the vault for a few days now getting my bearings. It didn’t take long for me to lose all concept of time. There are clocks, sure, but it could be twelve noon or twelve midnight and I wouldn’t know the difference down here. The people seem nice; a lot of ghouls, which is fine as long as they don’t go feral on me.

I’ve been getting to know my players a little bit, too. Man, are they raw. They’re excited, though. I will say it’s easy to spot the guys who are here more for the socialization than the baseball. No hustle, no spark. Gotta weed those guys out if we expect to compete.

We open the season in one month.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
4/13/2277

My Ravens are in the Nuka-Cola Conference, White Division. Weíve got an 80 game schedule on the books and the four division winners make the playoffs. Wouldnít that be something, taking this team to the postseason in my first year?

Our home park inside the vault definitely plays well for LHB. The measurements going left to right are 336, 370, 410, 429, 383, 348, 300 with a 17-foot wall in left tapering down to 9 feet the rest of the way around. Hopefully, my outfielders can cover some ground.

Name:  vault park 1.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  412.0 KB

(Author's note: this will be the picture I use in-game to simulate that I am playing ball in an underground vault. The other VTBA teams also have various indoor ballpark pictures loaded.)
Old 12-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
4/19/2277

The WBL began play a few days ago, the Scavs, too. Itís the inaugural season for everybody, so it will be interesting to see which guys build a name for themselves early on. Thereís a lot of guys looking to get paid big time caps if this whole thing works out.

As I look over my 35-man roster, I see very few pitchers who keep the ball on the ground. Like, two. If I move Robert Chavarria from RF to CF, heíll have the range to track a lot of balls in the gaps. Heís got a missile launcher of an arm, too. My corner outfielders would then be average at best, so weíll see.

Name:  wbl_2277-05-09_22-44-03.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  393.0 KB
Old 12-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #7
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Thanked 173x in 94 posts
I quite like this idea. I'll keep tabs on this. Definitely post about the other teams so we can see the other graphics and ballparks. Good luck!
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Beechnut (12-11-2017), illeracula (12-17-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #8
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
Thank you thirdsaint, I appreciate it! This is my first rodeo and I'm kind of unraveling the league as I move through the schedule. I expect that after I get some experience under my belt, job opportunities will open up at the major league level. That's what I'm really building toward.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #9
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
4/30/2277

Tomorrow is Opening Day! Weíre hosting the Vault 81 Parrots for an intra-divisional game. See, 200 years ago, Vault 81 was established so that scientists secretly living in one part of the vault could observe the residents in the other part as they were unknowingly exposed to various diseases and experimental vaccines. The goal was to develop a universal cure for every disease known to man, which is rumored to have actually been achieved but never released to the masses. The story goes that the final dose available was used to cure a sick member of the vault community, so thatís that.

We had a team dinner tonight in the cafeteria. It was good to interact with the guys off the field in a more relaxed atmosphere, get to know them better, see where the little cliques are. Tomorrow, Mercer will get the nod and be backed by a lineup that features Chavarria leading off and Blaylock in the 3-hole.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #10
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
5/1/2277

Well, the first game in Vault 34 history went down as a 2-1 loss. Notable moments were when John Mercer struck out the first batter he faced, Eric Johnson drew a walk to become the first base runner, Javon Ingram dumped a triple down the line to get the team’s first hit, and Ryan Blaylock drove in the first run on a sac fly to score Ingram. Kaleb Sterling picked up three hits and Mercer finished with a line of 1 run on 4 hits over 6 innings with 7 strikeouts and 3 walks. While the defense as a whole was unimpressive (3 errors), I liked that our catchers threw out all 3 would-be base stealers.

Name:  radstag.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  27.2 KB

I heard this guy Tom Mahan, plays for Vault 87, piled up 9 RBI today. Nine! His teammate, Zack Flaherty, got 5 hits and the team rolled 22-3. We’ll get to see them up close this weekend. Looking around the league, there was also an 18-0 game and a 13-1 game. It’s feast or famine out there!

Last edited by Beechnut; 12-13-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:31 PM   #11
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
5/2/2277

The Vault 34 Ravens picked up their first win today, 6-5! It was a nice effort by Mike Lahti to get the quality start. Blaylock went 3-4 with 2 runs and 2 RBI. We traded runs with the Parrots before finding ourselves down a run in the 7th. With 2 outs, Chavarria drops down a bunt single, followed by 3 straight hits to give us a 6-3 lead, which we needed every bit of to hold on. It feels good to get that first W under my belt.

Name:  1st win box score 1.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  123.8 KB
Name:  1st win box score 2.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  72.9 KB

(Author's note: After this game I was sure to double check all my Vaults to make sure they were classified as "domed" stadiums. We can't have rain delays if we're underground now, can we?)
Old 12-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #12
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
5/4/2277

Trivia: who hit the first home runs in Vault 34 history? Kaleb Serling, who popped a pair of solo shots in our loss today. Iím not thrilled with our 1-3 record heading into the weekend. Iím also not thrilled with 8 errors through 4 games.

The Vault 87 Tigers are up next, another divisional rival. Thatís the vault that bred the original super mutants and centaurs in an attempt to create bigger and stronger soldiers for the military. It was called the Evolutionary Experiment Program and its atrocities won't be ignored.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
5/7/2277

After a week of play, Vault 34 is now 3-4. We took 2 out of 3 from the Tigers including today's 14-2 romp, our first time scoring double digits. Zachary Fitzgerald went 3-4 with 2 walks and 3 runs scored. Blaylock added 3 hits of his own and drove in 4. Lahti had a solid line; 6 innings, 2 runs on 5 hits, 7 strikeouts and 3 walks. We’ll caravan to Vault 19 tomorrow for a short set, then back home, and then our first scheduled day off. That will do the pitchers some good for sure.

Name:  romp 0.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  85.2 KB
Name:  romp 1.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  130.2 KB
Name:  romp 2.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  77.1 KB

Vault 19’s backstory is that its inhabitants were segregated into two living areas, red and blue, with minimal contact. Sulfur from the cave system below leaked into the vents and the dwellers went batty with paranoia. These days, the Powder Gangers hang tough there and harass the travelers along the I-15. Knowing their influence, I wouldn’t be surprised if this series gets a little…physical.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #14
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
5/11/2277

Ugh, swept by the Tarpons. Their fans were brutal. Forget hurling insults, someone chucked a Molotov cocktail from the stands and damn near blew up my right fielder. When Johnson dove for cover he banged up his elbow. Itís not too bad; heís day-to-day and it should heal up after the weekend, but geezus.

Weíre headed back home to face Vault 3, who has the best record in the VTBA right now at 9-2, and theyíve won 7 in a row. I hear that place was actually free and clear of any controversy back in the day. It was a control vault and aside from a water leak a century or two after the war, no real problems crept up. They unsealed the door and began to trade with the surrounding townsfolk, but that went south when the Fiends learned how vulnerable they were. Motor-Runner and his crew cleaned those dwellers right out and took the place over. I heard he organized a traveling caravan of fansÖa fan-a-van if you willÖand raised all kinds of hell at Vault 11 to kick off their road trip. Makes me wonder how tight security will be around here this weekend. Hopefully those turrets in working order.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #15
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
5/15/2277

Ya know, youíd think sending 13 guys to the plate in the 1st inning and getting a 6-0 lead would go a long way toward getting you back in the win column. Apparently not.

Name:  box score.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  35.4 KB

Vault 3 swept our 3-game set with 9-1 and 6-1 beatings on the following days. The amount of Fiends who came out to support the Dragons easily outnumbered our fans and it wasnít close. Iíd like to say at least the gate earned a few extra caps but Iím willing to bet they were not all paying customers. Fortunately, there were no major scrums.

Weíve lost 6 in a row. Todayís break in the action is desperately needed, gives me a chance to mull over our current line upÖ

Name:  standings 5.15.2277.JPG
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  team stats 5.15.2277.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  57.2 KB

Tomorrow we visit Vault 11. Iím not exactly sure what their story is, but I imagine Iíll find out before the series is over.

I hear Vault 101 lost their top pitcher for the year, kid blew out his elbow. He was leading the league in a number of categories when it happened, including ERA and strikeouts. Heís draft eligible since heís 20, I wonder how bad his stock falls this winter.

Name:  wbl_2277-05-22_22-05-50.jpg
Size:  385.5 KB
Old 12-15-2017, 11:45 PM   #16
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
5/17/2277

Blaylock tweaked something while making a throw in yesterdayís game. The trainer tells me it was a mild abdominal strain and he just needs a stimpak and a day off before getting back in the lineup. Dodged a bullet, there.

We also dodged the bullets that were flying all over Mudcats Stadium today. Dodged Ďem so well, in fact, that the Mudcats plated 18 runs in the process. Oh, and Feminella shut us out on 4 hits. Thatís 8 straight Lís.

Name:  18-0 article.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  41.9 KB

I dug up some info about Vault 11ís past. When the door was first sealed, the residents were informed by the vaultís main computer that they needed to sacrifice one of their own each year from then on. If they refused, the whole population would be exterminated. In the ensuing years a lot of politics took place and one by one, citizens were elected for sacrifice. A massive scandal broke followed by an armed coup. When the dust settled, the remaining 5 citizens of the vault chose to make a suicide pact to defy the process. When they made their intentions known, the computer played a message congratulating them on their humanity and unlocked the vault door.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:15 AM   #17
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
5/18/2277

A win!!!! Hot damn, we actually got a win! We beat Vault 11 10-3 to avoid the sweep. Not only did we score 9 runs in the first 4 innings, but Jordan Ward threw 8 innings of 2-run ball. This mightíve been the best starting pitching performance from any of my guys this year. With that, Wardís ERA goes drops to a mere 8.80. No more losing streak.

Name:  wbl_2277-05-18_21-14-27.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  375.0 KB

Weíll continue our road trip to Vault 22. The original population there was kept alive strictly on the plants that were grown inside the vault. Unfortunately, a fungus that was designed to kill common pests also ended up poisoning the inhabitants. Womp-womp.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:19 AM   #18
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
5/21/2277

The Blowfish were rude hosts. They whooped us by 10 the other night and then bullied my relief corps into giving away the game yesterday. We were able to salvage todayís effort, 4-3, but it almost felt like another loss. Seth LeVeque has been our closer, and Iíll tell ya, Iíve met ghouls prettier than the back of his baseball card. The kid has saved 4 of our 6 wins but owns a 6.14 ERA and a 1.91 WHIP. He entered today with a 3-run lead and goes walk, strikeout, groundout, wild pitch, double, single, hit-by-pitch, walk, fly out. Gross.

Name:  wbl_2277-05-22_22-25-34.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  385.5 KB

Tomorrow we host the Vault 75 Meteors, our final divisional opponent. Theyíre just one game ahead of us. Itíd be nice to move out of the cellar.

Name:  standings 5.22.2277.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  77.7 KB

By the way, Vault 75 has a truly disturbing past. When families were checked in, the children were sent to one area while the adults were sent to ďorientationĒÖand slaughtered. The purpose of the vault was to allow scientists to study the children and manipulate their genetic makeup in an attempt to create stronger and more intelligent subjects. The kids were told that they needed to be able to withstand the terrors of ďUptoplandĒ once they graduated. In reality, once a pupil turned 18 he was either harvested for his genes, recruited by the scientists to continue experimenting on the others, or deleted from existence. There doesnít seem to be a clear answer on how this whole thing played out. Nowadays, the Vault is overrun with Gunners, so I wonít be surprised if we see some dirty play out there this week.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:20 AM   #19
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
5/22/2277

Called it.

Blaylock was wiped out by V75ís catcher as he broke up a double play. He slid late and came into the bag hard, toppled Blaylock right over. He had to be helped off the field. Iím still waiting on the official word.

We were down 3-0 in the 1st and crawled back into the game, even took a 4-3 lead in the 7th. Lahti pitched pretty well but Lopez gave the game right back to the Meteors and Evans didnít keep it close. Weíve gotta send a message tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:47 AM   #20
Beechnut
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 28x in 13 posts
5/24/2277

Blaylock is done.

Name:  blaylock done.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  62.8 KB

I'm furious. If we had any shot at pulling out of last place and getting some respect around the league, Blaylock was going to be at the center of it. This hurts. Bad. I know a lot of the guys want to lay out some Wasteland justice on Horton, the kid who broke Ryan's ankle. I can't say I blame them. I can't say I wouldn't look the other way, either.

Name:  wbl_2277-05-24_02-28-00.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  383.7 KB

We did, however, pull out a 3-2 win. Ward put together another good piece of work and the bullpen, despite adding some drama in the 9th, held it down. LeVeque was efficient and got the final 2 outs on just 5 pitches. Kevin Heltz, starting in place of Blaylock, popped a 2-run homer in the 8th. Hopefully, that bodes well for us.