Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

OOTP Baseball Survey - Help us and win a copy of OOTP 20!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 371x in 277 posts
Teenagers.......

If you expect to be a starting QB w/in your 1st 2 years of college, why would you chose to attend a school that started a freshman in the title game your senior HS year?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,139x in 2,153 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
If you expect to be a starting QB w/in your 1st 2 years of college, why would you chose to attend a school that started a freshman in the title game your senior HS year?

Ah, but is it solely a teenager's decision? Guessing dad had his say as well. Fromm has really improved this season. Look at Clemson. By the second game of the season the freshman phenom had replaced the guy that started all of last season including the playoff game.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Ah, but is it solely a teenager's decision? Guessing dad had his say as well. Fromm has really improved this season. Look at Clemson. By the second game of the season the freshman phenom had replaced the guy that started all of last season including the playoff game.
It is always hard to supplant the incumbent. If the present QB has had struggles, then a phenom might gamble he can take over the position. But if he hasn't shown any significant weaknesses besides inexperience, then it is foolish to think you're going to jump ahead in line.

Lawrence is an exception. IMO, Bryant wasn't all that good to begin with. Lawrence was hyped as the best QB prospect, EVER. And despite those two factors, it is still extremely rare for a FR to supplant a senior @ QB. Dabo maybe the only coach who would be willing to do that.

So again, your expectation coming in would have to be you're going to be sitting until your predecessor leaves. To be disappointed that you weren't given the job is foolish.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It is always hard to supplant the incumbent. If the present QB has had struggles, then a phenom might gamble he can take over the position. But if he hasn't shown any significant weaknesses besides inexperience, then it is foolish to think you're going to jump ahead in line.

Lawrence is an exception. IMO, Bryant wasn't all that good to begin with. Lawrence was hyped as the best QB prospect, EVER. And despite those two factors, it is still extremely rare for a FR to supplant a senior @ QB. Dabo maybe the only coach who would be willing to do that.

So again, your expectation coming in would have to be you're going to be sitting until your predecessor leaves. To be disappointed that you weren't given the job is foolish.
Seems to be quite a few exceptions though, Tua at Alabama. The kid starting at Notre Dame.

But, I agree with you that being disappointed is probably foolish. Remember though, for a lot of these kids college might be the first time they get to experience what it's like to have someone as good or even better on the same team.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seems to be quite a few exceptions though, Tua at Alabama. The kid starting at Notre Dame.

But, I agree with you that being disappointed is probably foolish. Remember though, for a lot of these kids college might be the first time they get to experience what it's like to have someone as good or even better on the same team.
Again, Hurts hadn't shown, to me at least, that he was a serious threat as a thrower like Bryant. But I would argue Tua was short-sighted going to Bama since he was thinking of transferring until the 2nd half in the title game.

These players need to stop going to these assembly line programs (football and basketball) and go where the coach's success is tied to their success if playing time is important to them. Places like Bama, Clemson, Ohio St etc will recruit "over" you in a heartbeat.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Thank you for this post:
David Watts (12-18-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
pilight
Major Leagues

Thanked 128x in 95 posts
Also, Fields isn't that good. Georgia lost the SEC title game in no small part because he was ineffective when Kirby Smart put him in.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
Also, Fields isn't that good. Georgia lost the SEC title game in no small part because he was ineffective when Kirby Smart put him in.
His skill isn't the issue. If getting on the field governs his choice in colleges, he should have picked a school where getting on the field was closest to being a guarantee. I hear he's leaning Ohio St, which is following a stupid decision with a stupid decision.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
His skill isn't the issue. If getting on the field governs his choice in colleges, he should have picked a school where getting on the field was closest to being a guarantee. I hear he's leaning Ohio St, which is following a stupid decision with a stupid decision.
I'm guessing his decision will be based on whether Haskins declares for the draft. Seems like this guy only wants to play for the best though, as I read he is also considering Oklahoma. What I want to know is, what the flip is this hardship deal he can apply for and not have to sit out a year? What's the hardship this guy is facing by having a full ride scholarship, but not getting to be top dog?
Old 12-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm guessing his decision will be based on whether Haskins declares for the draft. Seems like this guy only wants to play for the best though, as I read he is also considering Oklahoma. What I want to know is, what the flip is this hardship deal he can apply for and not have to sit out a year? What's the hardship this guy is facing by having a full ride scholarship, but not getting to be top dog?
As part of "reforms" the NCAA has become more lax in enforcing their transfer rules. Which I agree with. If I go from Harvard Medical to Yale, I don't have to sit out a year of class. I don't know why I should just because of a sport.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As part of "reforms" the NCAA has become more lax in enforcing their transfer rules. Which I agree with. If I go from Harvard Medical to Yale, I don't have to sit out a year of class. I don't know why I should just because of a sport.
I think what I have an issue with is the whole hardship nonsense. If you want to let kids jump ship, just let them do it. Don't try to paint a false image that the kid and his family will suffer by his having to honor his commitment. Instead of a hardship waiver, they should call it spoiled brat waiver.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #11
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Oh, there is no hardship. They used to have to claim hardship to jump into the NBA early too. All a bunch of bologna white collars made up to ease their consciences and appease people that have no business interjecting their wishes into someone else's matters to begin with.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Thank you for this post:
David Watts (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, there is no hardship. They used to have to claim hardship to jump into the NBA early too. All a bunch of bologna white collars made up to ease their consciences and appease people that have no business interjecting their wishes into someone else's matters to begin with.
So true. No one will ever be able to explain to me why a kid can go straight from high school to minor league baseball, but has to attend college for at least a year if his talent happens to be basketball. Baseball chews up and spits out kids daily/yearly and those folks you call the "white collars" never bat an eye. That being said, I think baseball does it the right way and basketballs way is a joke.
Thank you for this post:
Cobra Mgr (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #13
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So true. No one will ever be able to explain to me why a kid can go straight from high school to minor league baseball, but has to attend college for at least a year if his talent happens to be basketball. Baseball chews up and spits out kids daily/yearly and those folks you call the "white collars" never bat an eye. That being said, I think baseball does it the right way and basketballs way is a joke.
Definitely. Because the colleges are doing the NFL & NBA's job for them. Instead of spending $ trying to develop talent, they let the universities do it for them. And sit on their thumbs while the NCAA unfairly forces them to remain "amateurs". I have high hopes the G-League eventually usurps the colleges control over HS players. Or at least cause them to truly reform. And I hope one of these new upstart football leagues start to challenge the U's for HS recruits. You guys have seen me post it a million times: The NCAA must die.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance