Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.4.40 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

OOTP Baseball 20 - AVAILABLE NOW!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
curt
Major Leagues

Thanked 128x in 67 posts
Older Versus Younger

I tend to trade good players once their salary demands get too high. Usually they are 26-28 or older. BUT, only if I have a younger player with similar ratings\potential. So my question is, will a rookie with identical ratings as a veteran play just as good. In real life, a seasoned veteran is usually more reliable and dependable than a rookie. Does anyone know if the game factors in a "wisdom with age" rating of some kind? Or are there game factors for rookie mistakes?
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,765x in 1,426 posts
defintely possible... if there is more volatility due to lack of experience or some similar effect, i would not be surprised either, from personal experience.

i've had plenty do well... i've seen a fully-developed and well-rated rookie play like crap too -- as in far worse than you'd expect the worst case scenario to be relative to ability.

i do similar things. i trade at some point during their first contract -- the replacement is a big key to that timing too.

the key is not to rely on a rookie. sure, toss him into the #2 or #4 of you want, but i'd have a short leash. personally, at beginning of a rookie year i tend to start them somewhere 7-8-9, even if they are visibly better, but not by too much, of course. if they are significantly better, i'm ignoring "rookie" status. when i do put them at bottom, i'll re-assess around the draft. ~2 months or so into season after recent scouting report.

using a rookie leadoff is way more likely for me than a rookie 3-4-5 type guy. i figure if i have to adjust, i didn't cost myself too much for a month or 2 depending on level of ineptitude.

i'm pretty forgiving about bad play. more often than not, if oyu stick with it, the stats will catch up to the ratings.. even if overall #'s don't recover for the season... if he's a .300+ hitter and .500+ slugger, he still is one regardless of recent track record. i only play musical chairs with ~near equivalents.

my concern isn't their season average. as long as they are playing well - eventually - i have no concerns. even if their season average looks low at end.

i have a sneaking suspicion how they handle this stuff is kinda how they handle player creation.. it's not 100% random number generated 0-200 etc... there are profiles of quality of players with a range of posible results. you could do similar things with yearly profiles... a bad year built in, basicall.. happens at same rate but isnt' quite "natural" application... etc etc... it's cutting a corner, possibly. there's enough variation within each "year's result profile or factoring" that you can't tell with naked eye. you can't guess with so many options possible.

even so, stick with what you know... magic and guessing doesn't work consistently. trust the ratings... don't play musical chairs unless they are ~similar talents. i'm not opposed to shifting my lineup around in ~june at draft, but i try not to constantly diddle it.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-21-2019 at 12:21 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
curt (01-21-2019)