Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team is LIVE!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 09-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
The Hometown Project

With my current project, the Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs, nearing completion, I've had my eye out for new projects recently. I've thought of a multitude of ideas, but none of them that I truly love.

A couple of days ago I was scrolling around the forums and someone asked if it were possible to import players by hometown from across history. I had two thoughts to this question.

1) Yes, it is totally possible
2) What an awesome idea

I relayed those thoughts to that forum poster and then thought "hey...why not do that yourself?" I remember a graphic on twitter during the winter that showed NBA teams with rosters of players from the city, and I got a lot of joy out of looking at that. I figured I would get the same joy out of a sport I love even more than basketball.

So here we are, The Hometown Project. The Hometown Project will have 32 teams. How did we get to 32 you might ask? Well, three major league cities have two teams (New York, Chicago, LA) and they will each only have one team in The Hometown Project. My quick research showed that I would struggle to fill a 25 man roster for Toronto, so instead of the Blue Jays representing just Toronto, they will represent all of Canada. I've also added a Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Venezuela teams. I will mostly try to fill the foreign teams with players from a specific city (Havana, Santo Domingo, San Juan, Mexico City, Maracay), but if I have to stretch the limits a little for the foreign teams, then so be it.

As for the domestic US teams, I'll be pretty strict. Here's one catch: the player must have played high school ball in that city or a nearby suburb. For instance, Frank Robinson was born in Beaumont, Tx, but he moved to Oakland at a young age and played high school baseball in Oakland, so he will be on the Athletics. Rickey Henderson was born in Chicago, but again was raised in Oakland, so he will be on the Athletics and not the Cubs (sorry White Sox fans, you're the CHI franchise that I nixed).

It will take me some time to get this dynasty off the ground and moving. Doing all the research and importing all the players is tedious and time consuming, plus I do need to finish the Continental League project, but this will happen eventually.

I will start by revealing the teams, starting with my hometown...Houston.

Last edited by gskweres9; 09-21-2018 at 01:24 PM.
gskweres9 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
ayaghmour2 (09-22-2018), Jamee999 (09-21-2018), WahooSam309 (10-30-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Name:  houston_astros_2018-01-01.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  90.4 KB

Good lord do the Astros have some pitching. Two of the staff's biggest stars are transplants, as Roger Clemens was born in Ohio but moved to Houston at a young age, and Andy Pettitte was born in Louisiana but moved to Houston and played high school ball at Deer Park on the South side of town. Both Clemens and Pettitte live in Houston to this day.

The rest of the staff is bolstered by born, bred, and raised Houstonians, Josh Beckett, Nolan Ryan, and Doug Drabek. In the case of injury to one of the starters, these Astros have plenty of options to pull out of the bullpen in Scott Kazmir, Shelby Miller, and Nathan Eovaldi. Even the reserve roster runs deep with pitching, as Jameson Taillon, Kip Wells, Woody Williams, and Daniel Mengden can all be called up in the case of an injury to a starter. Ron Davis, Daniel Bard, Troy Patton, and Chuck McElroy are "true" bullpen options, and Mike Stanton, Mark Thurmond, Matt Albers, and more are waiting in the wings on the reserve roster. Put simply, Houston has a lot of pitching and a lot of pitching that throws hard.

The lineup lacks star power but has some quality depth. Carl Crawford and Michael Bourn will form a speedy one-two punch at the top of the order, and Paul Goldschmidt, Anthony Rendon, Chuck Knoblauch, and Adam Dunn hope to provide enough pop in the middle of the order. Tyler Naquin has some potential in right field, and in the case of underperformance, Chris Young, Ron Gant, and David Murphy should be solid backup plans. Chris Snyder and Craig Reynolds are suboptimal options at Catcher and Shortstop, but at least Snyder has some pop and at least Reynolds is solid defensively. James Loney and Matt Carpenter will be luxuries off the bench for Houston.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Name:  texas_rangers_2018-01-01.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  89.4 KB

For our next team reveal we take a trip up I-45 from Houston to Dallas to take a look at the Texas Rangers.

Similar to Houston, Dallas has some impressive arms, however Houston's were all throwbacks while the Rangers are filled with contemporaries. The 1-2-3 punch of Kershaw-Syndergaard-Kluber will probably be the best 1-2-3 of any rotation in the league, and you can certainly do worse than Jake Arrieta and Clay Buchholz as the 4 and 5.

The bullpen has some flamethrowers, headlined by Kerry Wood. Wood, Corey Knebel, Jordan Walden, and Carson Smith will form a fearsome back end of the bullpen.

Dallas has a pretty impressive lineup as well, led by Hall of Fame infielders Rogers Hornsby and Ernie Banks. Joining Hornsby and Banks in the infield will be current Rockies shortstop Trevor Story and former Tampa Bay Ray Aubrey Huff, both solid options.

The outfield has both solid options and depth in Scott Hairston, Ellis Burks, Hunter Pence, Austin Jackson, and Brad Hawpe.

The Rangers will certainly be one of the most talented teams in The Hometown Project, but they don't have the greatest depth. Josh Tomlin and Ross Stripling are the best arms on the reserve roster, and Evan Gattis and Ben Grieve are the best bats, so Dallas fans should be praying for health.

For our next reveal we'll move over to the West Coast and take a look at a Bay Area team that has the talent to challenge for a Hometown Project title.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Name:  oakland_athletics_2018-01-02.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  83.1 KB

The Hometown Project roster reveal continues with the Oakland Athletics. Oakland looks like they will be a force in the Hometown Project, as they have a balanced team with lots of depth.

The rotation of C.C. Sabathia, Lefty Gomez, Dontrelle Willis, Tyson Ross, and Dave Stewart doesn't have the top-to-bottom star power like Houston and Dallas, but it is solid, and there are certainly teams out their with worse rotations. In the case of injury to a starter, they currently have Joe Ross pitching out of the bullpen and guys like Ernie Broglio and Buddy Black on the reserve roster, giving them serviceable starting pitching depth.

Oaklan's true pitching strength, however, is in the bullpen. Dennis Eckersley, Tug McGraw, and Al Hrabosky at the back of the bullpen is legit, and if Oakland has the lead in the 7th, they're probably not going to lose. Dan Jennings, Dave Smith, and Warren Brusstar are very good middle relief options, and similiar to the starting rotation, they have serviceable arms on their reserve roster, like Bo McLaughlin, Robbie Erlin, and Charlie Beamon Sr.

While the pitching staff is good, the lineup is this team's true strength. Rickey Henderson, Frank Robinson, and Chick Hafey are a trio of Hall of Famers in the outfield, and the depth behind them is just stupid. Curt Flood is the backup on the 25 man, but Augie Galan, Vada Pinson, Gary Pettis, Larry Moseby, Ruppert Jones, Jermaine Dye, Stephen Piscotty, and Harry Hooper are all on the reserve roster. Seriously, Oakland has enough outfield depth to fill about three teams.

The infield is almost just as good. The right side has two Hall of Famers in Willie Stargell and Joe Morgan. There's lots of depth at shortstop with former MVP Jimmy Rollins, gold glover Brandon Crawford, and multi-time All-Star Chris Speier. Lew Fonseca will be the designated hitter. Third base is the biggest weakness, as Bip Roberts gets the call to start there on Opening Day. Roberts at the very least is a speedy option that can wreak havoc on the bases at the bottom of the order. The infield depth isn't nearly as good as the outfield, as Billy Martin, Dale Sveum, Bud Harrelson, and Dick Bartell are the reserve infielders. Behind the dish Oakland has two really good options in Ernie Lombardi and Jason Castro.

Since I missed posting yesterday, I'll continue the roster reveal with a second post today, this time taking a look across the bay at the San Francisco Giants.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Name:  san_francisco_giants_2018-01-02.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  84.8 KB

Here are the San Francisco Giants. The Giants will be an interesting team to follow, as they have some spectacular starts and a deep lineup, but the pitching is suspect and the pitching depth is even worse. They also lack a reliable option behind the plate, something I believe all championship caliber teams must have.

We'll start by breaking down the pitching staff. The Opening Day staff will be Mike Norris, Ryan Drese, Dick Tidrow, Don Mossi, and Dan Petry. Of the four teams we've looked at so far, that's easily the worst rotation. San Francisco lacks a true ace, and none of these guys were much more than a three starter during their playing career. Pitching staff health will be necessary for a Giants postseason run, as they are one injury away from Jeriome Robertson possibly logging major innings. Who? Exactly.

The bullpen won't be bad, but it isn't elite either. John Wetteland, Jake McGee, and Danny Frisella will form the back end of the bullpen. Erik Goeddel, Sam Tuivailala, and Frank LaCorte will be the middle guys. Joe Biagini will be the long man to start the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some innings as a starter as the season goes on. Tyler Walker, Mark Eichhorn, and Keith Comstock are the only options on the reserve roster.

Now we move onto the lineup, and boy, is it a fun lineup to look at. The outfield will be made up of Barry Bonds, Joe DiMaggio, and Harry Heilmann, which might be even better than Oakland's outfield. Lefty O'Doul and Wally Berger are backup options, however it looks like O'Doul will be the primary DH. The reserve roster boasts some solid outfield options in Gary Matthews Sr., Eric Byrnes, Joc Pederson, Nyjer Morgan, and Kevin Bass.

The infield is also really impressive. Former MVP Keith Hernandez will start at first base. High Pockets Kelly will start at second, Joe Cronin starts at shortstop, and Tony Lazzeri starts at third base. Troy Tulowitzki and Eddie Joost are the backup infielders to start the year, and the infield depth on the reserve roster is plentiful. Dick Stuart, Dolph Camilli, Jerry Coleman, Bob Elliot, Daniel Descalso, Geoff Blum, Jim Fregosi, and Mark Koenig are all waiting in the wings. The Giants do, however, lack an average option at catcher. It looks like Merv Shea will get a majority of starts behind the dish. He'll be backed up by Bob Melvin. Roxy Walters is the only other option for the Giants at catcher. He starts the year on the reserve roster.

The Hometown Project will continue next with what is my favorite team of players yet...they will be fun to watch, but will they be able to win?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Name:  tampa_bay_devil_rays_2018-01-02.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  83.3 KB

I mean how fun is this team? The rotation is filled with eccentric players like Doc Gooden, Jose Fernandez (RIP), and Lance McCullers Jr. Brad Radke isn't eccentric, but he's a solid name and Boof Bonser's best attribute is that his name is Boof. The bullpen is a bullpen. It doesn't have any shutdown guys, it just has a bunch of guys. Chris Perez, who was yet another eccentric guy, is my favorite pitcher in the Tampa bullpen.

The lineup is filled with guys that are distinguishable and easy to like. Gary Sheffield and his bat waggle, and Luis Gonzalez and his weird stance are a few. They also have Hall of Famer Wade Boggs and should-be Hall of Famer Fred McGriff. Tino Martinez and Carl Everett are both solid role players, and Chone Figgins is a fun guy at second base.

The reserve roster lacks real pitching depth, but they have plenty of hitters. Steve Garvey is currently on the reserve roster, along with less notable guys like Casey Kotchman, Chris Coghlan, Lou Piniella, Preston Tucker, Jason Michaels, Denard Span, Matt Joyce, and Derek Bell.

I don't know if Tampa will actually be a legitimate threat for a title, but I sure hope they are.

The Hometown Project will continue tomorrow with at least one more team reveal.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
I know its been forever since I've posted, but that doesn't mean this project is dead. In fact, I've been working on it pretty hard. Hard enough that I've finished putting together all 32 teams in game.

Since I've finished that, I'm going to accelerate team reveal. However, I'm going to stop doing it in the disorganized fashion I currently am and will start going by division, so there may be a couple of repeats. We'll start today with the AL West. We've already done Oakland, Texas (Dallas), and Houston from this division, so only five team reveals remain.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #8
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Name:  kansas_city_royals_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  87.5 KB

The Royals have an interesting superstar in Pujols, who moved to the Kansas City area in his early high school years from the Dominican Republic. The rotation is also pretty good, featuring David Cone, Rick Sutcliffe, Smoky Joe Wood, Mort Cooper, and Shaun Marcum. The bullpen looks like it will be solid as well, anchored by closer Trevor Rosenthal.

The offense as a whole, however, looks like it will be an issue. The left side of the infield is occupied by a very mediocre Ivy Olson and 17-year-old Alex George. There's also very little depth in case of injury. Logan Morrison is the best hitting option on the reserve roster. Kansas City could be a fun team to watch, but in a stacked AL West, they don't seem like they'll be a part of the playoff picture.

The top three teams in each division will make the playoffs, meaning six teams will make it from each league. Each division winner will receive a first round bye.

Name:  seattle_mariners_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  86.1 KB

The Seattle Mariners are a lot like the Kansas City Royals, as they've got some fun superstars, but depth is a true problem. Tim Lincecum and Jon Lester are an elite one-two punch at the top of the rotation, and the rotation filler of Glendon Rusch, Fred Hutchinson, and Ed Brandt could be worse. The bullpen looks serviceable, although they don't have any standout arms.

The Mariners are trotting out an outfield of Michael Brantley, Grady Sizemore, and Jeff Conine, with Michael Conforto serving as the fourth outfielder. John Olerud and Ron Santo are a dynamic duo on the corners of the infield, but the double play combo of Steve Lyons and Mick Kelleher leaves a lot to be desired.

Name:  havana_industriales_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  89.1 KB

Team Havana looks like it will be a strong one. All of these players are from Havana and surrounding suburbs, it is not an all-Cuba team.

Offense is certainly this team's strength. Tony Gonzalez-Minnie Minoso-and Yasiel Puig are the starting outfielders. Yoenis Cespedes will serve as DH and Sandy Amoros will be the 4th outfielder. The reserve roster has plenty of outfield depth, with guys like Jorge Soler, Leonys Martin, and Jose Cardenal.

The infield will be Tony Perez-Yunel Escobar-Tony Taylor-Jose Abreu, with Leo Cardenas and Zoilo Versalles serving as backups. The reserve roster is filled with viable options, from Yuli Gurriel to Bert Campaneris to Yasmany Tomas and so many more. Depth won't be a problem for the Industriales.

Mike Gonzalez and Mike Guerra will catch.

The rotation is good, not great. Luis Tiant is a bonafide ace, but Camilo Pascual, Dolf Luque, Livan Hernandez, and Jose Contreras will be outpaced by many of the other teams in the division. The Industriales will just hope their pitchers can give them six strong innings, as Mike Fornieles-Raisel Iglesias-Aroldis Chapman form an elite back of the 'pen.

Name:  san_juan_senadores_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  84.2 KB

You thought Havana's offense was good? San Juan's is way better.

Jorge Posada and Pudge Rodriguez will split time behind the dish. In case of injury, Yadier Molina, Bengie Molina, Jose Molina, and Christian Vazquez are all ready to go on the reserve roster.

San Juan didn't have a true first baseman, so they've moved Geovany Soto out from behind the dish to first base. Joining him in the infield will be Carlos Baerga, Felipe Lopez, and Francisco Lindor. Jose Oquendo and Jose Hernandez will serve as backups with guys like Javy Baez, Alex Cora, Joey Cora, Ivan de Jesus and more on the reserve roster.

Ruben Sierra-Carlos Beltran-Roberto Clemente populate the outfield. Bernie Williams will DH. KikÚ Hernandez is the primary 4th outfielder.

The pitching staff leaves a little to be desired. Juan Pizarro is the team's ace, and it's cool that Hi Bithorn, the first Puerto Rican to play professional baseball, is in the rotation. Alex Claudio and Roberto Hernandez will be the best arms in the bullpen. Jose Berrios starts the year in the bullpen, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some starts.

Name:  mexico_city_red_devils_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  80.3 KB

Lastly we have the Mexico City Red Devils. Unlike San Juan and Havana, Mexico didn't have enough talent from a particular city to fill an entire team, so this team represents all of Mexico, not just one city.

Mexico will be a bottom feeder in the extremely strong AL West. Pitching will be the strong suit, with Fernando Valenzuela, Jaime Garcia, Esteban Loaiza, Ismael Valdez, and Teddy Higuera forming the rotation. Roberto Osuna, Sergio Romo, Joakim Soria, Ricardo Rincon, Julio Urias, Rodrigo Lopez, Elmer Dessens, and Juan Acevedo make up what has to be the strongest bullpen in the league (candidate for bullpenning anybody?).

The offense, however, is not very good. Bobby Avila and Vinny Castilla are the best bats. If Mexico doesn't play elite defense and get elite pitching, they'll be in trouble.
Thank you for this post:
Jamee999 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 12:32 AM   #9
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
On to the other division in the AL, the AL East. We've already revealed the Tampa Bay Devil Rays from this division, leaving 7 more teams to be unveiled.

Name:  baltimore_orioles_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  92.7 KB

The Baltimore Orioles will have one of the best lineups in The Hometown Project. Cal Ripken Jr., Al Kaline, Babe Ruth, Brady Anderson, and Mark Teixeira is about as unbeatable as a top of the order gets. Brian Jordan, Buck Herzog, Ray Morgan, and Bill Schroeder make up the rest of the lineup.

Baltimore can be a playoff team if the pitching is sufficient and stays healthy. They don't have much in the way of depth, nor do they have a true ace. Tom Phoebus, Denny Neagle, Allen Russell, Moose Haas, and Geoff Zahn will make up the opening day rotation.

Name:  boston_red_sox_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  88.3 KB

The Red Sox might be in the World Series in real life, but I wouldn't expect to see them in the World Series here.

Boston is made up almost entirely of 19th century and early 1900s starts, and greatly lack modern day talent. Only three of the nine hitters in the lineup have played in the 21st century (Carlos Pena, Chris Colabello, and Mark Bellhorn).

The rotation does like it will be pretty strong, anchored by Hall of Famer Tom Glavine. Wilbur Wood, Turk Farrell, Tim Keefe, and John Clarkson will follow him in the rotation, and starting options like Mark Fidrych, Ron Darling, and Alex Cobb provide depth in the bullpen.

Name:  cleveland_indians_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  84.6 KB

Cleveland simply isn't very good. Bill Bradley, Sal Bando, Ed Delahanty, Thurman Munson and George Sisler provide some intriguing hitters, but there isn't much around them.

The rotation will be led by Rube Marquard and Urban Shocker. I think that says enough for itself.

Name:  detroit_tigers_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  82.5 KB

Detroit has a much better team than I expected them to have coming into the project. The rotation of Smoltz-Tanana-Newhouser-Avery-Pierce will give some teams fits, and the bullpen is at least serviceable.

The lineup is unspectacular but solid, and there are no easy outs 1-9. Bernie Carbo, John Mayberry Sr., and Kirk Gibson will be the offensive "stars"
Old 10-28-2018, 12:46 AM   #10
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Name:  minnesota_twins_2018-03-01.jpg
Size:  90.2 KB

The Minnesota Twins Homegrown team almost kind of looks like a Twins all-time team. Joe Mauer, Kent Hrbek, Jack Morris, Paul Molitor, Pat Neshek, Glen Perkins, Dave Winfield and more all wore the Twins uniform at sometime or another during their careers.

I don't suspect the Twins will be a playoff team, but they certainly won't be a doormat, and if they snuck into the playoffs it wouldn't totally shock me.

Name:  new_york_yankees_2018-03-01.jpg
Size:  89.7 KB

Unfortunately, the Homegrown Yankees are just as good as the "paid for by the Steinbrenners" Yankees. The lineup is littered with Hall of Famers, from Frankie Frisch to Carl Yastrzemski (go ahead and puke now, Sox fans) to Hank Greenberg to Lou Gehrig to Craig Biggio to Lou Rizzuto (I'm running out of breath). Even non-HoF'ers like Manny Ramirez and Bobby Thomson are really good baseball players.

The rotation is good too with Sandy Koufax, Frank Viola, John Candelaria, Waite Hoyt and Marcus Stroman. Oh, and the bullpen isn't bad, with current Yankee Dellin Betances, former Yankee John Habyan, and current Colorado Rockie Adam Ottavino locking down the back end.

Name:  montreal_expos_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  95.4 KB

Similar to Mexico, there weren't enough players from a specific Canadian city, so the Expos will be filled with players from all of Canada.

The Expos will have a fun team to follow. The pitching staff is solid, anchored by Hall of Famer Fergie Jenkins. He'll be followed by Erik Bedard, Ryan Dempster, Rube Vickers, and Jeff Francis. They will have a good bullpen to hand their games over to, led by Eric Gagne and John Axford.

The lineup is good but not deep. Led by Larry Walker, Joey Votto, and Tip O'Neill the team will hope that guys like Corey Koskie and Jason Bay play like good versions of Corey Koskie and Jason Bay instead of the other way around. Justin Morneau will DH.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:58 AM   #11
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Now that we've completed the American League, we shift our focus to the National League, starting with the NL East.

Name:  atlanta_braves_2018-03-01.jpg
Size:  92.2 KB

The Atlanta Braves are nowhere near as good as I thought they would be. The rotation, made up of Nap Rucker, Kris Benson, Collin McHugh, Zack Wheeler, and Rick Waits simply isn't very good, and they'll have to hope the solid bullpen of Jonathan Broxton, Matt Capps, Burke Badenhop, and Todd Jones can help shorten games. The lineup is uninspiring as well, led by Hall of Famer Luke Appling. He has solid guys around him, like Marquis Grissom, Charlie Blackmon, Brian McCann, and Jason Heyward, but it's doubtful that it's enough to make a playoff run.

Name:  cincinnati_reds_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  84.9 KB

Would you be surprised if these Cincinnati Reds made a playoff run? I don't think I would be. Barry Larkin, Pete Rose, Dave Parker, Ken Griffey Jr., Kevin Youkilis, David Justice, Buddy Bell, Josh Harrison, and Jim Leyritz form a scary batting lineup.

The rotation of Bunning, Osteen, Cook, Nuxhall, and Dotson is less inspiring, but lots of teams out there have worse, and if they stay healthy, it might be enough to sneak into the playoffs.

Name:  florida_marlins_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  87.8 KB

Is Miami good? Yes, they're very good. Are they likable? No. I definitely wouldn't call them that. Jose Canseco, Alex Rodriguez, and Manny Machado are all very good baseball players, but they're not easy to like.

Listen, this team is very good. They're going to the playoffs. It's unfortunate some of us have to see them there.

Name:  maracay_miners_2018-03-01.jpg
Size:  83.6 KB

These guys are REALLY good. Bobby Abreu, Miguel Cabrera, Jose Altuve, Carlos Guillen, David Peralta. The list goes on and on. The rotation is anchored by King Felix, and while there's quite the drop off after him, it is still serviceable.

Did I mention all of these guys are actually from Maracay or surrounding suburbs and that it isn't an all-Venezuela team? Impressive that all of that talent has come from there.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:09 AM   #12
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Name:  pittsburgh_pirates_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  93.1 KB

Pittsburgh won't go away quietly. The lineup is ferocious, with Honus Wagner, Dick Allen, Stan Musial, Hack Wilson, Josh Gibson (yes, the Negro League Josh Gibson), Sean Casey, Jack Clark, Ian Happ, and Neil Walker giving pitchers no breaks.

Pittsburgh will hope that the mediocre rotation of Sam McDowell, David Bush, Jim Shaw, Al Mamaux, and Bill Doak will keep teams from scoring more runs than that lineup puts up, and hopefully the equally as mediocre bullpen does a good enough job of holding onto leads.

Name:  philadelphia_phillies_2018-03-01.jpg
Size:  86.4 KB

If catcher were the only position on the field, then there'd be few teams that could beat Mike Piazza and Roy Campanella, but there's nine positions on the field, and Philly isn't all that good at the other eight. I think that covers it here.

Name:  washington_nationals_2018-03-01.jpg
Size:  84.1 KB

If you're from the DMV area and you live in D.C. and you're raising a kid that's into baseball, I have some advice for you. Move to Baltimore. Look at Baltimore's team, then look at this team, and tell me I don't have a point. Moving on.

Name:  santo_domingo_aguilas_2018-03-01.jpg
Size:  89.6 KB

Here's another team that is seemingly really freakin' good at baseball. Aside from the unfortunate reality of Ronny Paulino at catcher, the rest of the lineup is dangerous. I mean, who do you pitch to? I'm glad I'm not a pitcher in this universe. Or any universe for that matter.

What the Santo Domingo team has that many of the international teams don't is a formidable pitching staff. Pedro Martinez, Ramon Martinez, Danny Salazar, Fausto Carmona (lol), and Rubby de la Rosa is enough to win games, and the bullpen of Dotel, Soriano, Familia is pretty good too.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:39 AM   #13
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Lastly, we have the NL West.

Name:  arizona_diamondbacks_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  87.9 KB

Jim Palmer and Curt Schilling are an elite 1-2 combo atop the rotation, and the lineup is solid. The team is lacking in some places, but the NL West is the weakest division in the league, meaning the snakes are in prime position to make the playoffs.

Name:  chicago_cubs_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  91.9 KB

The Cubs should be pretty good. Aside from Freddie Lindstrom and Kirby Puckett, they're filled with a bunch of guys that are good-not-great, but a team filled with good-not-great usually wins a lot of baseball games.

Name:  colorado_rockies_2018-03-01.jpg

Denver won't be very good either. The bullpen is elite, and they have some good arms in the rotation, especially Roy Halladay, but any team boasting Chase Headley as their best bat will struggle.

Name:  milwaukee_brewers_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  90.7 KB

Al Simmons, Addie Joss, and the slapnuts.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:50 AM   #14
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Name:  st_louis_cardinals_2018-03-01.jpg
Size:  90.3 KB

The Cardinals will definitely be one of the better teams in the NL West. Ryan Howard pre-achilles tear and Yogi Berra are a fearsome tandem in the lineup, and they're surrounded by a bunch of solid hitters. Max Scherzer, Mark Buehrle, and Ken Holtzman are a good 1-2-3 punch atop the rotation. Depth is a problem, but that's the case with almost every NL West team.

Name:  san_diego_padres_2018-03-01.jpg

Ok, so I cheated a little bit. Technically Tony Gwynn was raised in LA, but as you'll see in a minute LA has talent to spare. Plus, Gwynn still played his college ball in San Diego, where he credited quite a bit of his development, then he spent his entire big league career with the Padres. Hell, he's Mr. Padre. I can do this with a clear conscience.

Aside from Gwynn, this team is still really good. Ted Williams and Adrian Gonzalez provide some thump behind Gwynn, and Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, Eric Chavez, and Carlos Quentin are some under-appreciated mid-2000s studs. Hall of Famer Alan Trammell mans the shortstop position.

The rotation is pretty good too. Mark Prior will start Opening Day. This is a good thing if his arm doesn't fall apart. It's a bad thing if it does. Just as Cubs fans. If his arm does fall off, well, they have plenty of depth. Cole Hamels, Stephen Strasburg, Aaron Harang, and Mike Leake follow him in the rotation, and guys like Barry Zito and David Wells are waiting in the wings in the bullpen.

Name:  los_angeles_dodgers_2018-03-01.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  85.6 KB

Like I said, LA has plenty of talent. The Dodgers are obviously the favorite to win the World Series. I mean they have a team's worth of Hall of Famers on their reserve roster. There's enough talent here for three teams. Good luck to everyone else.

NOTE: San Francisco is the eighth and final team in the NL West, and they were unveiled earlier. That concludes the team unveiling for The Hometown Project. Ensuing posts will have to do with actual games being played.
Thank you for this post:
ayaghmour2 (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 02:01 AM   #15
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,004x in 2,405 posts
Add Jody Gerut to your Chicago team. From Villa Park, IL born at Elmhurst Hospital. Played several games for the games going 0-13. Played like 9 MLB seasons. Also although kenny Lofton lived in east Chicago, IN it is kind of a suburb of Chicago and since Indy doesnt have a team here....
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

Congrats Harold Baines

"Stay Strong"

Last edited by The Game; 10-28-2018 at 02:05 AM.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
gskweres9 (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #16
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Add Jody Gerut to your Chicago team. From Villa Park, IL born at Elmhurst Hospital. Played several games for the games going 0-13. Played like 9 MLB seasons. Also although kenny Lofton lived in east Chicago, IN it is kind of a suburb of Chicago and since Indy doesnt have a team here....
Thank you! They missed Opening Day, but have since both been added.

For anyone else out there, if you see a mistake or oversight, please let me know. I'll gladly correct it
Old 10-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #17
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Name:  TNYT.png
Views: 120
Size:  20.9 KB
New York, Monday, April 2, 2018

THE HOMETOWN PROJECT BEGINS PLAY

Montreal Wallops Mexico in Game of Firsts

The Montreal Expos and Mexico City Red Devils squared off in Montreal for the first ever game of The Hometown Project. Montreal came out on top 13-3. Mexico City starter Fernando Valenzuela only lasted 3 1/3, allowing 11 runs on nine hits and five walks. Fergie Jenkins started for Montreal, pitching a complete game and earning the win.

While Mexico didn't put much on the scoreboard, they will go down in the record books as logging a couple of firsts. Second baseman Bobby Avila singled past the second baseman in the first inning to pick up the first hit in The Hometown Project, and Vinny Castilla's three-run-bomb in the 4th was the first ever home run in the league's history.

Montreal Expos outfielder Jason Bay answered Castilla's three-run shot with a grand slam, effectively putting the game out of reach. "We took advantage of our opportunities," Bay said.

Montreal and Mexico City will continue play tomorrow at Olympic Stadium. Esteban Loaiza will start for Mexico and Erik Bedard will start for Montreal.

AROUND THE LEAGUE

Tigers Beat KC
DET: 3
KC: 0

WP - John Smoltz (1-0, 0.00) LP - Smoky Joe Wood (0-1, 3.00) SV - Paul Assenmacher (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - DET: John Mayberry Sr. (1)

Doc Outduels Syndergaard
TEX: 1
TB: 2

WP - Dwight Gooden (1-0, 1.50) LP - Noah Syndergaard (0-1, 2.45) SV - Tim Crews (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - TB: Fred McGriff (1)

Athletics Run By Mariners
OAK: 6
SEA: 1

WP - C.C. Sabathia (1-0, 1.08) LP - Tim Lincecum (0-1, 7.71)
HR: - OAK: Ernie Lombardi (1)

Abreu Walks off Twins
MIN: 2
HAV: 3

WP - Aroldis Chapman (1-0, 0.00) LP Glen Perkins (0-1, INF)
HR - MIN: Joe Mauer (1) HAV: Jose Abreu (1)

Boston Blasts Houston
HOU: 3
BOS: 6

WP - Tom Glavine (1-0, 5.40) LP - Roger Clemens (0-1, 10.12) SV - Tim Collins (1 SV, 0.00)

Orioles Fly Over Cleveland
CLE: 5
BAL: 11

WP - Tom Phoebus (1-0, 4.50) LP - Rube Marquard (0-1, 12.60) SV - Don Rudolph (1 SV, 6.00)
HR - None

San Juan Beats New York
SJ: 7
NY: 2
WP - Juan Agosto (1-0, 0.00) LP - Sandy Koufax (0-1, 5.40)
HR - SJ: Jose Hernandez (1), Kike Hernandez (1), NY: Lou Gehrig (1)
Note: SJ starter Juan Pizarro left the game in the second inning with an injury

Santo Domingo Downs Cincy
SD: 7
CIN: 3
WP - Pedro Martinez (1-0, 3.00) LP - Claude Osteen (0-1, 4.50)
HR - None

Cardinals Come Back, Beat Maracay
MAR: 4
STL: 6
WP - Neal Cotts (1-0, 0.00) LP - Edward Mujica (0-1, 81.00) SV - David Phelps (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - STL: Bill Mueller (1), Yogi Berra (1)

Nationals Win Barn Burner
PHI: 8
WAS: 13
WP - Steve Barber (1-0, 6.00) LP - Hardie Henderson (0-1, 16.20) SV - Mike Venafro (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - None

Headley's Five Hits Not Enough
COL - 6
FLO - 13
WP - Steve Carlton (1-0, 5.40) LP - Goose Gossage (0-1, 81.00) SV - Rob Murphy (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - FLO: Mike Stanley (1), J.D. Martinez (1), Andre Dawson (1)

Braves Beat Milwaukee
ATL: 11
MIL: 5
WP - Nap Rucker (1-0, 3.60) LP - Gus Krock (0-1, 15.19)
HR - ATL: Tony Phillips (1), Bill Terry (1)

Giants Snake-Bitten, Blow Game Late
SF: 6
ARI: 9
WP - Bob Howry (1-0, 0.00) LP - John Wetteland (0-1, 40.50) SV - Tom Wilhelmsen (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - SF: Lefty O'Doul (1), Barry Bonds (1)

Dodgers Massacre Cubs
CHI: 0
LAD: 23
WP - Walter Johnson (1-0, 0.00) LP - Denny McLain (0-1, 14.29)
HR: LAD - George Brett 2 (2), Giancarlo Stanton 2 (2)

Gwynn Magnificent, Padres Beat Pittsburgh
PIT: 4
SDP: 15
WP - Mark Prior (1-0, 0.00) LP - Sam McDowell (0-1, 15.00)
HR - PIT: Jack Clark (1) SD: Carlos Quentin (1), Ted Williams (1)
Thank you for this post:
ayaghmour2 (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #18
pgd44
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 17x in 17 posts
Looks great !!! Is there a template or quickstart avaialbe to download?
pgd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
gskweres9 (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 03:48 PM   #19
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgd44 View Post
Looks great !!! Is there a template or quickstart avaialbe to download?
I did save it as a template, but I wouldn't have the first clue on how to upload that for everyone to download. If someone could give me instructions I'll gladly give it a shot
Old 10-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #20
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Thanked 70x in 57 posts
Name:  TNYT.png
Views: 112
Size:  20.9 KB
New York, Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Hawpe Homers Texas Past Tampa

The Texas Rangers beat the Tampa Bay Devil Rays 2-1 at Tropicana Field on Monday. Brad Hawpe's two-run homer off of Rays starter Jose Fernandez in the top of the second ended up being all Texas would need as the teams were engaged in a pitcher's duel for the second straight night.

Corey Kluber earned the win for Texas, pitching 7 1/3 and allowing just one run. He scattered three hits and walked three batters while striking out nine. David Carpenter pitched the ninth, picking up the save.

Fernandez took the tough luck loss for Tampa, pitching 6 2/3, allowing two runs on four hits, two walks, and 12 strikeouts.

"I pitched a good game, but it wasn't enough to win. They're a good team, so you've gotta hand it to them," Fernandez said.

Texas and Tampa finish their three game season opening series tomorrow. Clayton Kershaw will take the bump for Texas, while Brad Radke will pitch for Tampa Bay.

AROUND THE LEAGUE

Orioles Beat Up On Indians
CLE: 7
BAL: 16

WP - Denny Neagle (1-0, 9.00) LP - Urban Shocker (0-1, 18.69) SV - John Dopson (1 SV, 3.00)
HR - BAL: Brady Anderson (1), Babe Ruth (1), Buck Herzog (1)

Yankees Torch San Juan Bullpen
SJ: 2
NY: 4

WP - Frank Viola (1-0, 2.25) LP - Xavier Cede˝o (0-1, 9.00) SV - Dellin Betances (1 SV, 5.40)
HR - NY: Lou Gehrig (2)

Red Sox Rip Ryan
HOU: 1
BOS: 5

WP - Turk Farrell (1-0, 1.50) LP - Nolan Ryan (0-1, 5.62)
HR - None

Havana Holds Off Twins
MIN: 5
HAV: 7

WP - Camilo Pascual (1-0, 4.50) LP - Tom Johnson (0-1, 40.50) SV - Aroldis Chapman (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - HAV: Yoenis Cespedes (1)

Montreal Needs Extras, Beat Mexico City
MEX: 6
MON: 7

WP - Kirk McCaskill (1-0, 0.00) LP - Juan Acevedo (0-1, 5.40)
HR - MEX: Aurelio Rodriguez (1)

Royals Reign Over Detroit
DET: 2
KC: 6

WP - David Cone (1-0, 2.57) LP - Frank Tanana (0-1, 6.43) SV - Tom Henke (1-0, 0.00)
HR - KC: John Mayberry Jr. (1), Albert Pujols (1)

Oakland Rallies Late
OAK: 8
SEA: 5

WP - Dennis Eckersley (1-0, 9.00) LP - Bob Reynolds (0-1, 40.50) SV - Al Hrabosky (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - None

Reds Roll Past Santo Domingo
SD: 3
CIN: 11

WP - Jim Bunning (1-0, 2.57) LP - Ramon Martinez (0-1, 12.71)
HR - CIN: Pete Rose (1)

Marlins Shutout Rockies
COL: 0
FLO: 2

WP - Gio Gonzalez (1-0, 0.00) LP - Danny Jackson (0-1, 3.00) SV - Scot Shields (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - FLO: Alex Rodriguez (1)

Gubicza Tosses One-Hitter
PHI: 9
WAS: 0

WP - Mark Gubicza (1-0, 0.00) LP - Clay Kirby (0-1, 15.75)
HR - PHI: Del Ennis (1)

Brewers Beat Braves
ATL: 1
MIL: 4

WP - Addie Joss (1-0, 1.12) LP - Collin McHugh (0-1, 5.14) SV - Dave Koslo (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - None

Anibal Awesome Against St. Louis
MAR: 6
STL: 0

WP - Anibal Sanchez (1-0, 0.00) LP - Mark Buehrle (0-1, 6.23)
HR - None

Giants Score Four in Ninth, Beat Arizona
SF: 9
ARI: 8

WP - Joe Biagini (1-0, 0.00) LP - Bob Howry (0-1, 13.50) SV - Jake McGee (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - SF: Lefty O'Doul (2) ARI: Tim Salmon (1)

Padres Win Shootout
PIT: 8
SDP: 12

WP - Cole Hamels (1-0, 9.00) LP - Jim Shaw (0-1, 20.25) SV - Jack Harshman (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - PIT: Ian Happ (1), Dick Allen (1), Stan Musial (1) SDP: Bret Boone (1), Adrian Gonzalez (1)

Dodgers Defeat Cubs
CHI: 2
LAD: 5

WP - Gerrit Cole (1-0, 2.57) LP - Jim O'Toole (0-1, 3.00) SV - Addison Reed (1 SV, 0.00)
HR - LAD: Duke Snider (1)