Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.4.40 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Coming soon: Collection Missions

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2019, 06:36 PM   #41
Sweed
Hall Of Famer
 
Sweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,443
Thanks: 1,230
Thanked 1,620x in 627 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless' Socks View Post
My initial impression is to wonder what it is that you worked on for months other than Perfect Team? It took months to add Spray Charts, openers/followers and 'lock to lineup slot'?

I bought the game this time out of personal loyalty to you guys, but unless next year has more improvements (read: any) for online, solo, historical etc. I will no longer be loyal and won't be buying the game.

It's not bad, its just a roster update that cost full price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post

You aren't going to load up v20 and say "wow, look at all these shiny new toys" other than player animations. You will have to play the game to see most of the improvements. For years many have said don't add bells and whistles just fix AI holes, roster management, etc. and the masses will beat a path to your door. It looks like they've tried that and are met with "I'm disappointed with the feature list". Go figure.
enough said...
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #42
Shoeless' Socks
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 106
Thanks: 67
Thanked 73x in 35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
enough said...
Just because I don't share your opinion, it doesn't make mine wrong. Stow the sanctimony. I've played OOTP since the first offering.
Shoeless' Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #43
Sweed
Hall Of Famer
 
Sweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,443
Thanks: 1,230
Thanked 1,620x in 627 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless' Socks View Post
Just because I don't share your opinion, it doesn't make mine wrong. Stow the sanctimony. I've played OOTP since the first offering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless' Socks View Post
My initial impression is to wonder what it is that you worked on for months other than Perfect Team? It took months to add Spray Charts, openers/followers and 'lock to lineup slot'?

I bought the game this time out of personal loyalty to you guys, but unless next year has more improvements (read: any) for online, solo, historical etc. I will no longer be loyal and won't be buying the game.

It's not bad, its just a roster update that cost full price.
I take it back, you're right those are the only three things added to the game
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #44
DTFinch
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14x in 5 posts
I too think this will be the last year I purchase OOTP baseball, it just seems to me that they have accomplished all they can do with the game. I like a few others think the OOTP team spent most of their energy on Perfect Team the past year, which I can understand as it is designed to bring in more cash, but unless there are a few changes with it I have no interest in being a participant.
DTFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
6 thanks for this post:
Basebrah (03-24-2019), HonusWagner (03-23-2019), JoshLove (03-26-2019), NomarHits400 (03-24-2019), Poweshow (03-24-2019), Shoeless' Socks (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 08:05 PM   #45
Galeg
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 302
Thanks: 791
Thanked 109x in 75 posts
I think I am nearing 20 hours in so far... and have only advanced 1 day. That expansion draft really did me in.
Galeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:13 PM   #46
HonusWagner
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 302
Thanks: 49
Thanked 33x in 20 posts
Infractions: 1/0 (0)
I appreciate the opinions of the not-fan-bots that have posted here.

OOTP: you want to play in the bigs? Take the hits. That's my advice. Fan-bots will spoil ya, the John Henry's notwithstanding....

Look- I know a few thing about software. So, this is a very marginal, extremely marginal field - text-driven baseball sims. I get it. And you really utilize the freeware available (hence the decision to pursue, of all things, 3D graphics for a text-based sim.... *smh* :-) ).

Whokay. Were this the late 80s then adding a 3D engine to a text-driven sim might seem cool. It isnt though. So now if feels like silly. Have you seen your competitors in graphics?

Look, from a gamer's experience in an extremely niche field, you may feel like superheros. I understand that. But look at it from a simple software perspective. And by the way: if John Henry's financial software or online racing sim software ran like this you'd never hear of him.

And that is my point. There are things here that are fundamentally busted. And I feel like I am talking about a friends "special needs" brother who seems to put out the effort on the job site but... just isn't getting it.

In short, I agree with a post above: I think you've taken this series as far as you can. I'll add to that and suggest you aren't actually programmers. Maybe that's what Henry was alluding to. That you were able to make this without programming backgrounds. You are pouring more time into configuring freeware software than doing something about the game basics. To me, that is a major clue. 3D graphics is freeware. Fixing how stats windows are sorted and those types of bugs and issues is 101 programming.

Re "special needs" comment - take it for what it's worth. Were I to load this sw up for spreadsheets or db etc I would howl fraud. Not trying to be mean. But there are so many things busted and bent.

And I say this without having purchased 20. I did buy 19 though. And after a few weeks or so I gave it up.

No doubt though, you are the best of class. I don't doubt that. I only write this due to the money spent so far. But more than that, the many hours spent, trying to get something to work that was, and remains (I'll bet) broken out of the box.

Best of luck.

Last edited by HonusWagner; 03-23-2019 at 09:25 PM.
HonusWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
fredbeene (04-02-2019), Poweshow (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #47
BronxBombers7
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
BronxBombers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 38
Thanks: 69
Thanked 27x in 14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonusWagner View Post
I appreciate the opinions of the not-fan-bots that have posted here.

OOTP: you want to play in the bigs? Take the hits. That's my advice. Fan-bots will spoil ya, the John Henry's notwithstanding....

Look- I know a few thing about software. So, this is a very marginal, extremely marginal field - text-driven baseball sims. I get it. And you really utilize the freeware available (hence the decision to pursue, of all things, 3D graphics for a text-based sim.... *smh* :-) ).

Whokay. Were this the late 80s then adding a 3D engine to a text-driven sim might seem cool. It isnt though. So now if feels like silly. Have you seen your competitors in graphics?

Look, from a gamer's experience in an extremely niche field, you may feel like superheros. I understand that. But look at it from a simple software perspective. And by the way: if John Henry's financial software or online racing sim software ran like this you'd never hear of him.

And that is my point. There are things here that are fundamentally busted. And I feel like I am talking about a friends "special needs" brother who seems to put out the effort on the job site but... just isn't getting it.

In short, I agree with a post above: I think you've taken this series as far as you can. I'll add to that and suggest you aren't actually programmers. Maybe that's what Henry was alluding to. That you were able to make this without programming backgrounds. You are pouring more time into configuring freeware software than doing something about the game basics. To me, that is a major clue. 3D graphics is freeware. Fixing how stats windows are sorted and those types of bugs and issues is 101 programming.

Re "special needs" comment - take it for what it's worth. Were I to load this sw up for spreadsheets or db etc I would howl fraud. Not trying to be mean. But there are so many things busted and bent.

And I say this without having purchased 20. I did buy 19 though. And after a few weeks or so I gave it up.

No doubt though, you are the best of class. I don't doubt that. I only write this due to the money spent so far. But more than that, the many hours spent, trying to get something to work that was, and remains (I'll bet) broken out of the box.

Best of luck.
Most of the MLB sim competition, which I won't list by name,don't even have any form of animation in their baseball games. OOTP is way ahead of it's direct competition in the animation/graphics category, so I'm not sure where you got the notion they are behind their competition in graphics.

And if you are referring to Football Manger, that isn't exactly a competitor to OOTP since it's a soccer game.

This is no slight to the other MLB simulation games, but OOTP is in a league of it's own IMO.

Last edited by BronxBombers7; 03-23-2019 at 09:42 PM.
BronxBombers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
swoboda (03-24-2019), Vonschlick (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #48
thesmokeshow
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Thanked 21x in 9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonusWagner View Post
I appreciate the opinions of the not-fan-bots that have posted here.

OOTP: you want to play in the bigs? Take the hits. That's my advice. Fan-bots will spoil ya, the John Henry's notwithstanding....

Look- I know a few thing about software. So, this is a very marginal, extremely marginal field - text-driven baseball sims. I get it. And you really utilize the freeware available (hence the decision to pursue, of all things, 3D graphics for a text-based sim.... *smh* :-) ).

Whokay. Were this the late 80s then adding a 3D engine to a text-driven sim might seem cool. It isnt though. So now if feels like silly. Have you seen your competitors in graphics?

Look, from a gamer's experience in an extremely niche field, you may feel like superheros. I understand that. But look at it from a simple software perspective. And by the way: if John Henry's financial software or online racing sim software ran like this you'd never hear of him.

And that is my point. There are things here that are fundamentally busted. And I feel like I am talking about a friends "special needs" brother who seems to put out the effort on the job site but... just isn't getting it.

In short, I agree with a post above: I think you've taken this series as far as you can. I'll add to that and suggest you aren't actually programmers. Maybe that's what Henry was alluding to. That you were able to make this without programming backgrounds. You are pouring more time into configuring freeware software than doing something about the game basics. To me, that is a major clue. 3D graphics is freeware. Fixing how stats windows are sorted and those types of bugs and issues is 101 programming.

Re "special needs" comment - take it for what it's worth. Were I to load this sw up for spreadsheets or db etc I would howl fraud. Not trying to be mean. But there are so many things busted and bent.

And I say this without having purchased 20. I did buy 19 though. And after a few weeks or so I gave it up.

No doubt though, you are the best of class. I don't doubt that. I only write this due to the money spent so far. But more than that, the many hours spent, trying to get something to work that was, and remains (I'll bet) broken out of the box.

Best of luck.
You’re using a derogatory ‘special needs person’ analogy to describe your discontent for this game? Wow.

Also if you feel this way towards OOTP, why are you even on these forums? Just to simply be a troll. I don’t get it. I could see if you were trying to make the game better for future releases or like be aspects of it and it leaves you disappointed. But just to come on here and toss insults around to people that work their arse off on the game every year just doesn’t make any sense.

I’m not one to respond to trolls often on forums, as they are everywhere and easy to ignore. But you sir are indeed a special breed.

Last edited by thesmokeshow; 03-23-2019 at 09:36 PM.
thesmokeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
8 thanks for this post:
Bill Veeck (03-24-2019), BronxBombers7 (03-23-2019), Chico Guilbault (03-26-2019), flashlanger (03-24-2019), jparker2112 (03-27-2019), swoboda (03-24-2019), Toast (03-24-2019), wallewalls (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #49
BT193404
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5x in 3 posts
Bought this game on steam and looking to be able to download logos, but nothing is on the workshop and the traditional add on central isnt there. Anyway I can download files or add servers like I could in 18?


Otherwise, great game. Seems to be worth the two-year upgrade, could I get an update on this though?
BT193404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
fredbeene (04-02-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #50
loyd_moseby
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 13
Thanks: 13
Thanked 1x in 1 post
Can anyone tell us if the diving catches in the oufield have been toned down or fixed? Was seeing too many of them in OOTP 19.

Thanks!
loyd_moseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #51
UltimateAverageGuy
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 282
Thanks: 112
Thanked 117x in 73 posts
Never touched Perfect team until yesterday, immediately hooked, already spent $80 in points. Mission accomplished guys!
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #52
Poweshow
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 224
Thanks: 101
Thanked 117x in 48 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless' Socks View Post
My initial impression is to wonder what it is that you worked on for months other than Perfect Team? It took months to add Spray Charts, openers/followers and 'lock to lineup slot'?

I bought the game this time out of personal loyalty to you guys, but unless next year has more improvements (read: any) for online, solo, historical etc. I will no longer be loyal and won't be buying the game.

It's not bad, its just a roster update that cost full price.
Yep. This is why the refused to announce the new feature list until the game came out.

OOTP is a fine game, a great game even.
BUT it has now reached Electronic Arts the level of "just slap some new rosters on it and call it a day."
There is a handful of people that can see through the loyalty and call it what it is, but that number will grow in the coming years.
Poweshow is offline   Reply With Quote
5 thanks for this post:
fredbeene (04-02-2019), jaguar8311 (03-27-2019), jfb8300 (03-24-2019), JoshLove (03-26-2019), Shoeless' Socks (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #53
james17
All Star Starter
 
james17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,210
Thanks: 732
Thanked 208x in 101 posts
I have to agree with the poster who said the game has been developed as far as it can go as a sim. The interface is beautiful and all the different modes of play are great. I think OOTP's time would now be better spent on developing an American football sim like the FOF9 they hope to sell.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
01010010 (04-09-2019), jfb8300 (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 03:05 PM   #54
Shoeless' Socks
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 106
Thanks: 67
Thanked 73x in 35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweshow View Post
Yep. This is why the refused to announce the new feature list until the game came out.

OOTP is a fine game, a great game even.
BUT it has now reached Electronic Arts the level of "just slap some new rosters on it and call it a day."
There is a handful of people that can see through the loyalty and call it what it is, but that number will grow in the coming years.
I think next year's game will be the turning point for the entire franchise. I think there are enough somewhat disgruntled fans this time for OOTPd to take notice (most every Reddit thread (and the comments within posts) is negative/neutral), but if there aren't improvements in other things other than PT for next year's game, it will be the beginning of the end, IMO. A certain percentage is going to stop purchasing out of loyalty.

I also knew that the lack of hype/feature announcements/buzz, whatever you want to call it to be a bad sign.
Shoeless' Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
jfb8300 (03-24-2019), JoshLove (03-26-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #55
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter
 
Mr. Marlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,006
Thanks: 265
Thanked 866x in 488 posts
OK, one full season completed:

The Good: The games are beautiful to watch. The animations are sharp and I didn't see any of the occasional glitches or weird plays you might see from time to time in 19. No lagging. butter smooth. nice work there. AI roster management seems to be improved. I did still see some in game moves that made no sense but for the most part it is better than 19. Bugs. I only found one and it was minor and already being fixed. Pitching to contact seems to be working as it should now. In '19 you were taking your life in your hands when you called that. Now a GB pitcher throwing to a GB hitter produced a GB most of the time. Spray charts... nuff said

The Bad: I was still bombarded with seriously annoying and utterly terrible trade offers. Some really bad trades still happened. Definitely work to be done there. Free agents are still signing deals with indy leagues for contracts the indy leagues can't afford. Still no history for NPB, LMB, and maybe Dominican and Puerto Rican leages. I really want that. The rest of the bad really comes down to this: for a new OOTP version this is pretty light fare. We didn't get all that much compared to years past. But having bought and played every version since 8 there have been versions that moved the needle a little and some that moved it a lot. Even the former are fun to play.

The Indifferent: Having said that last part, OOTP does have some toys to offer the casual player that takes over their favorite team and plays this season in the standard MLB mode. The live updates and other tools will be appreciated by them. But, like many folks who frequent this board, the die-hard players, I don't play that way. I prefer fictional and historical. And while there is good stuff, it's a lot less. That might frustrate some players into skipping 20. And I would not hold that against them. The slogan used to be "It's your game play it your way". The problem there is there are so many ways to play OOTP it's likely impossible to make a new version that gives something for everyone.

Edit: To sum it up I'm pleased with it. It's not everything I wanted... not even most of what I wanted.. but it's still really good and still worth the time and money you will invest in it. And as with pretty much every version ever more content will likely be added in the coming months. So the book isn't even closed on everything new in OOTPXX

Last edited by Mr. Marlin; 03-24-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
JoshLove (03-26-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #56
mickey7
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 167
Thanks: 8
Thanked 31x in 21 posts
Have owned every OOTP ever----and I don't want to disparage you but what you say is NOT true. Everything suggested has already been done----the game does not load the pictures, the pictures are sometimes there sometimes not, the pictures on some players show up everywhere except when you open the player card and all you get is a team logo. Additionally suddenly a picture is magically replaced (was there before) by a facegen ! This has been happening with every iteration since facegen was introduced to the game. Go back and check previous and every year somewhere you will find a thread about and most of them are not mine.
mickey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #57
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter
 
Mr. Marlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,006
Thanks: 265
Thanked 866x in 488 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey7 View Post
Have owned every OOTP ever----and I don't want to disparage you but what you say is NOT true. Everything suggested has already been done----the game does not load the pictures, the pictures are sometimes there sometimes not, the pictures on some players show up everywhere except when you open the player card and all you get is a team logo. Additionally suddenly a picture is magically replaced (was there before) by a facegen ! This has been happening with every iteration since facegen was introduced to the game. Go back and check previous and every year somewhere you will find a thread about and most of them are not mine.
I played one season in the MLB standard game and that did not happen to me. At least not that I noticed. Now that said tonight I'm creating a new fictional game so they will be all facegens from here on out for me.

I used to complain here frequently about a similar issue with logo and uniform progression. In short... they didn't. The year would change but the logos and uniforms would not even if the file names were built correctly. That might still be going on... not sure yet. It's been happening since 16 I think. But I figured out a work around that solves it enough for me. I know there have been other weird glitches with facegens and logos. To tell you the truth I think they are hard to duplicate which is why they still happen.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #58
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer
 
BaseballMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,448
Thanks: 68
Thanked 492x in 311 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFinch View Post
I too think this will be the last year I purchase OOTP baseball, it just seems to me that they have accomplished all they can do with the game. I like a few others think the OOTP team spent most of their energy on Perfect Team the past year, which I can understand as it is designed to bring in more cash, but unless there are a few changes with it I have no interest in being a participant.
Have to disagree. If they had accomplished everything then the game would be perfect and there would be no complaints or people asking for new features in the game.
Maybe they are spending a lot of time on PT but new things come and go with the game. Some things stay and some things don't but i can understand trying new things. If it brings in more money then hopefully they can hire more people and make more games. I wonder if if PT should be a separate game.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
BoofBonser26 (03-26-2019), JoshLove (03-26-2019), Shoeless' Socks (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:36 PM   #59
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve
 
Thundercrack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 591
Thanks: 320
Thanked 349x in 165 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
I've noticed no changes from V19 to V20 in my fictional league - but that's okay by me - I just love this game so much. I converted mid season and proceeded to win 16 games in a row - something i have never done in my fictional league's 50 year history.

I would simply like to see some more small touches that enhance immersion - like a YEARLY leaders history tab - so i can see the evolution of the home run leader throughout my league's history - (similar to the tab that shows mvp/rookie of year/cy etc. Like this - https://www.baseball-reference.com/l..._leagues.shtml

It would be nice to see which player or players have the most rings, most MVPs, most CY Youngs - without having to manually search player by player.

In the career leaders leaderboard - BOLD or highlight in a different color - those players that played for your team.
I will buy this game forever, but it baffles me how something so simple has never been added. The record keeping and history needs some work
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
fredbeene (04-02-2019), Jamee999 (03-24-2019), JoshLove (03-26-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 10:23 PM   #60
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer
 
BaseballMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,448
Thanks: 68
Thanked 492x in 311 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post

It would be nice to see which player or players have the most rings, most MVPs, most CY Youngs - without having to manually search player by player.
Not sure about rings but you can see how many mvps and cy youngs from the awards section. You may have to add up when a player played for 2 different leagues here and there such as the case with Pedro Martinez.
But like in my league Mickey Mantle won the mvp 10 times. i can see that from the awards section without having to go to Mantle's history.
But it would still be nice to have a list so you could see who won the mvp the 4th or 5th most times.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments