Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

World Series Special! OOTP 19 is 75% Off Until Nov. 1!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:35 AM   #1
Jeffy25
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 243x in 202 posts
Josh 'Hater'

Some people found some pretty bad tweets by Hader back from his high school days.

I think they are just rap lyrics, and I would imagine he wouldn't do this today (obviously hasn't).

But what's going to happen considering how racially sensitive things are, and context being old? But also, you really can't say/use words like this (obviously).

Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/kjen1327/status/...154646528?s=21
Jeffy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:22 AM   #2
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,130x in 1,826 posts
I miss the days when professional athletes drank, smoked, and hazed rookies, and everybody was okay with it. Now they are supposed to be some sort of model humans. I wonder when that came about, in a time when common people are probably more flawed than they've ever been.

Are we really getting angry over a 17-year-old's tweetery now? But everybody go along - just remember that the first stone shall be thrown by somebody that did not say a single utterly stupid thing when they were 17. I sure know I'm out of that conversation.

Resident Mets Cynic

Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
David Watts (07-18-2018), Jeffy25 (07-18-2018), Mariner and Giants Fan (07-20-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Thanked 336x in 248 posts
I think it will blow over. 1) He was a kid. 2)He was repeating what he'd heard. I don't know how many Klansmen are listening to gangsta rap from the hood. 3) He owned up and apologized immediately when it came out & said he was ready for whatever consequences that come his way. It's the coverups & denials that cause things to boil over.

What I don't get is why parents don't monitor their child's social media footprint in the 1st place. Forget that he's a baseball player. Companies investigate a prospective employee's online profile & hire accordingly. That immature crud stays with you for life.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
Airdrop01 (07-18-2018), Jeffy25 (07-18-2018), RchW (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 336x in 224 posts
The lesson is to routinely delete your Tweets every few years.

I don’t hold a 17 years old teeets against him unless he is still exhibiting the same behaviors now. Those were likely learned behaviors from friends or family. At 17 we’re still trying to find who we are and parroting things around us. Hopefully, someone on the brewers will give him some perspective how much those words can hurt.

If he learns something from this good on him
New Album called “When Necessity Calls” with my latest band “The fine Line” has finally dropped. Give us a listen here or check us out on Spotify or anywhere else you choose to stream or buy your music. We’d appreciate the support!
ihatenames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Thanked 317x in 252 posts
Infractions: 1/0 (0)
uh, those don't look like rap lyrics, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he was 17. I'd fire my agent if I were him because those tweets should have been deleted a looooong time ago.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 487x in 342 posts
Got to love the holier than thou attitude of the twitter replies, I’m sure that they’ve all been pure as the driven snow throughout their lives.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Jeffy25 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Got to love the holier than thou attitude of the twitter replies, I’m sure that they’ve all been pure as the driven snow throughout their lives.
yeah, but when you're a public figure, you are going to be held to a higher standard. also the N-word with a hard "r" is nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 07-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
The lesson is to routinely delete your Tweets every few years.
No. The lesson is to not post stupid stuff like that, period. If you say them verbally around the "right" people that you know, that know you, who understand the context, and have your best interests at heart, you're not going to get in trouble. Even if someone in that group becomes an enemy, it would be your word against theirs. When you release your foolish thoughts into the general public when there are cameras, audio saves &/or can be saved to the computer screen, you are setting yourself up for your reputation to be ruined. Foolish talk around the guys isn't meant to hang around or leave the locker room. To act like that online or where strangers can catch it turns "normal", "harmless" male stupidity into racist, masochistic behavior. Parents should monitor how their children present themselves online because people will see what was done not as how far they've possibly come, but as what they are possibly now.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
2 thanks for this post:
Airdrop01 (07-18-2018), RchW (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
Jeffy25
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 243x in 202 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I miss the days when professional athletes drank, smoked, and hazed rookies, and everybody was okay with it. Now they are supposed to be some sort of model humans. I wonder when that came about, in a time when common people are probably more flawed than they've ever been.

Are we really getting angry over a 17-year-old's tweetery now? But everybody go along - just remember that the first stone shall be thrown by somebody that did not say a single utterly stupid thing when they were 17. I sure know I'm out of that conversation.
Couldn't agree more.

He is getting a ton of backlash over this, even still.
Jeffy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
It started when the media lost their marbles over Charles Barkley saying "I am not a role model". Everyone acted, and still do, like players & celebrities are supposed to set examples for kids. I said it then & I'll say it now....."Show me a kid with an athlete as a role model and I'll show you a parent who isn't taking care of his responsibilities." No one as a child was a bigger sports nut than me. But I never set Joe Morgan, Jim Rice, Steve Largent, Dr. J, Nolan Ryan, Michael Jordan, Cecil Cooper, Eddie Murray, Lynn Swann etc etc as my role model. My role model was my dad & mom. Those were the people I tried to emulate. I may have wanted to catch like Largent, dunk like Erving, hit like Morgan, but I never wanted to live my life like those guys. I admired what they did on the field, not what they did off of it. I wanted to make my dad proud.

I'm not mad there are consequences for people behaving badly because I want these closeted racists, masochists, and plain jerks exposed. Hard to get rid of buttheads if we allow them to be that way out of the public eye. Not penalizing such behavior makes it look like being a nimrod leads to success. But I'm with you in saying expecting perfection from a human being just because he can score is foolhardy.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
2 thanks for this post:
Airdrop01 (07-18-2018), MBarrett (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #11
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 336x in 224 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
No. The lesson is to not post stupid stuff like that, period. If you say them verbally around the "right" people that you know, that know you, who understand the context, and have your best interests at heart, you're not going to get in trouble. Even if someone in that group becomes an enemy, it would be your word against theirs. When you release your foolish thoughts into the general public when there are cameras, audio saves &/or can be saved to the computer screen, you are setting yourself up for your reputation to be ruined. Foolish talk around the guys isn't meant to hang around or leave the locker room. To act like that online or where strangers can catch it turns "normal", "harmless" male stupidity into racist, masochistic behavior. Parents should monitor how their children present themselves online because people will see what was done not as how far they've possibly come, but as what they are possibly now.
I agree to the point. However, teenagers don’t see this as putting stuff out there for the world. Most do not understand the global reach of their expressions. They see it as an avenue to show off to their friends or simply communicate with their friends. At the end of the day, he was still a kid at the time of the tweets. Much like we seal up criminal records for juvieniles i’m willing to give the kid a second chance unless there is still a pattern of behavior that mirrors what was tweeted back then. I don’t know. I didn’t see his twitter account before it was locked.

Regardless, this should be treated as great opportunity for a teaching moment to educate why those words hurt and hopefully bring awareness to negative power and hurt certain words possess. It would be fantastic if Hader chose to lead such an initiative. I’d rather those type of things not be thought at all let alone spoke. It’s more important to me that we educate people as to the power of those words rather than threaten and teach kids to censor themselves for fear of a ruined reputation 10 years later. There is no context where that type of language is okay. It doesn’t matter if it’s in a locker room, with the right people or whatever. If you’re thinking it or saying them anytime that is the problem, not just a tweet. I prefer education over punishment as ignorance and learned behavior usually are the culprits for slurs.

That’s my 2 cents.
New Album called “When Necessity Calls” with my latest band “The fine Line” has finally dropped. Give us a listen here or check us out on Spotify or anywhere else you choose to stream or buy your music. We’d appreciate the support!

Last edited by ihatenames; 07-19-2018 at 06:49 PM.
ihatenames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #12
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

Thanked 11x in 10 posts
Really -- he was a kid ....... every black person who has used terms "cracker" "honkey" etc. Needs sensitivy training - and it needs to be condemned in the public media.

Do we remember John Rocker ? Does anyone remember Adam Jones comments from a year ago ?

We have gone OVER BOARD ......

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #13
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
I agree to the point. However, teenagers don’t see this as putting stuff out there for the world. Most do not understand the global reach of their expressions. They see it as an avenue to show off to their friends or simply communicate with their friends. At the end of the day, he was still a kid at the time of the tweets. Much like we seal up criminal records for juvieniles i’m willing to give the kid a second chance unless there is still a pattern of behavior that mirrors what was tweeted back then. I don’t know. I didn’t see his twitter account before it was locked.
I know how teens view it. That's why parents are supposed to step in. IMO, if any parent is paying the bill for his child to get online, he is negligent if he is not monitoring, editing & guiding what their child posts for public view.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 07-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #14
knightdreamer2k
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 51x in 39 posts
Quote:
I know how teens view it. That's why parents are supposed to step in. IMO, if any parent is paying the bill for his child to get online, he is negligent if he is not monitoring, editing & guiding what their child posts for public view.

Thank you. My thought on this exactly. I don't really care what he said so much when he was a teenager. I do care about all the dismissive comments people say about teenagers in general. My teenager does not talk like that, I did not talk like that and there are many other teenagers that don't talk like that. Again I think for the most part this is a non-story but lets not pretend that every teen talks like this.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Cobra Mgr (07-19-2018), RchW (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #15
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 554x in 339 posts
Quote:

Josh Hader's 24. That's one year older than me (I've been throwing my age around too much here lately), and I came up with absolutely no parental supervision as far as my online comings-and-goings (I was 13 when I first registered here after all) or social media. None of my friends had that either. If you have a teen right now, I 100% agree with you, but Hader came up in the generation that took advantage of the full degrees of freedom the internet provided. It doesn't excuse his actions, but he was a kid at a time where he could do a lot of damage to his future image and when he would be likely to have little-to-no supervision, shortly before the internet became this ubiquitous thing.

Also my being a Brewers fan has nothing to do with my views. I've barely followed this season and hadn't even heard of Hader til a month ago.
spotted an 11-run lead, then going into the 9th up by 8 and not a single out recorded (using three relief pitchers all warmed up), nine runs score... game over? nope, thank the demo for saving me $20 on the after the season special or/and another $35-40 on 14. I will NOT be purchasing this piece of crap!
You see, this guy here, he is that guy. Don't be that guy.

Join the VHL today!
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:38 AM   #16
dkgo
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 71x in 27 posts
17 year old kid quotes rap lyrics, what a scandal!
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #17
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
Josh Hader's 24. That's one year older than me (I've been throwing my age around too much here lately), and I came up with absolutely no parental supervision as far as my online comings-and-goings (I was 13 when I first registered here after all) or social media. None of my friends had that either. If you have a teen right now, I 100% agree with you, but Hader came up in the generation that took advantage of the full degrees of freedom the internet provided. It doesn't excuse his actions, but he was a kid at a time where he could do a lot of damage to his future image and when he would be likely to have little-to-no supervision, shortly before the internet became this ubiquitous thing.
No excuse in my book. Seven years ago, it was pretty much well known by then how dangerous the internet is for children. No matter what era you come from, giving a minor no supervision in anything before trust is established is neglectful, IMO.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 07-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #18
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
17 year old kid quotes rap lyrics, what a scandal!
except they aren't?
Old 07-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #19
dkgo
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 71x in 27 posts
even the guy who posted those screenshots follows up a couple tweets down with "I understand that most of them were song lyrics or movie quotes"
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #20
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 554x in 339 posts
Quote:
No excuse in my book. Seven years ago, it was pretty much well known by then how dangerous the internet is for children. No matter what era you come from, giving a minor no supervision in anything before trust is established is neglectful, IMO.
I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying in my experience and in my surroundings that was how it was. Even worse on his part is that not he or any of his people thought to go back and clean up his account. Apparently Josh Allen wasn't enough of a lesson for him, now he becomes the example of the sports figure that pays the price for it.
spotted an 11-run lead, then going into the 9th up by 8 and not a single out recorded (using three relief pitchers all warmed up), nine runs score... game over? nope, thank the demo for saving me $20 on the after the season special or/and another $35-40 on 14. I will NOT be purchasing this piece of crap!
You see, this guy here, he is that guy. Don't be that guy.

Join the VHL today!
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote