Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

World Series Special! OOTP 19 is 75% Off Until Nov. 1!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #21
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,492x in 1,982 posts
Here's something that I like about MLB.tv: Today, I am watching the Yankees-Tigers game broadcast by FSD (Fox Sports Detroit). It's nice to listen to different announcers for a change and I am enjoying the two guys on the air right now who I think are Dan Dickerson and Jim Price (the game is live and I joined it in progress, so I looked up the names).* I liked the guys who were calling the game for the Orioles the other day, too. This is new to me, like a different perspective on MLB.

*EDIT: Oh yeah, I was close. When the game went into archive, I was able to restart it and learn that I had been listening to Mario Impemba and Kirk Gibson, of all people. Gibson was the guy that I was enjoying listening to the most.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 03-17-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #22
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
This is new to me, like a different perspective on MLB.
Heh, include some sideline reporters in that different perspective. Here's a reason to watch Red Sox games this season! Guerin Austin for NESN:
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 03-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #23
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,130x in 1,826 posts
Legeres?
Attached Images

Resident Mets Cynic

Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #24
cheo25
Major Leagues

Thanked 224x in 154 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
What the Tigers need to do is rebuild their broadcast booth starting with Rod Allen. I had the Extra Innings package last year, but by mid season I started watching less and less, because I can't stand listening to that idiot repeat everything he says 2 or 3 times for emphasis. I know most can't stand Gibson, but I will take him any day over Rod. The repeating thing is so annoying.
The great thing about MLB.TV is that you get to listen to some local announcers/crews you wouldn't otherwise hear. The bad thing about MLB.TV is that you get to listen to some local announcers/crews you wouldn't otherwise hear.

I find the announcers are pretty much split 50-50 in the good/bad category. Rod Allen definitely belongs in the bad category. I was spoiled for years with the Astros with Bill Brown and Jim Deshaies on the call. Then I got subjected to Alan Ashby (thankfully gone) and Geoff Blum. Now I get Todd Kalas (good listen) and Blum (sadly, still around).

I'll also say all sideline reporters are bad just because they add zilch to the telecast other than being a promotions reader/bad interviewer.
cheo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
David Watts (03-20-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #25
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Legeres?
It won't matter if he keeps getting hurt and never fulfills his potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheo25 View Post
I'll also say all sideline reporters are bad just because they add zilch to the telecast other than being a promotions reader/bad interviewer.
Well, they can provide good visuals, though!

Say, thanks for quoting David who I had forgotten posted his dislike of Gibson. David, I didn't mean to show you up or argue with you by saying what I did above about liking Gibson's commentary. Funny how tastes differ like that.

- Bru

Old 03-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #26
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It won't matter if he keeps getting hurt and never fulfills his potential.
Maybe leg-eres is some terrible limb condition only Mets players can get, and that's why the Astros guy who typed the card got confused...

I share a dislike for most, but not all sideline reporters. I liked the Mets' Kevin Burkhardt. He's gone. They have Steve Gelbs now, who is as bland as his name. I don't know any other portable sideline microphone holder by name. But I could sure do without some blonde bimbo reading the latest off Twatbook on camera while some guy is hitting a bases-loaded triple...

I also said before that I acknowledge Kirk Gibson's vast knowledge of the game, which he's seen from all possible and impossible angles, but I can't listen to him for two minutes without my feet going numb. It's probably me, not him, but we don't gel with another. Then I'll prefer Rod Allen, please.

Resident Mets Cynic

Old 03-22-2018, 06:03 AM   #27
Karax268
Bat Boy

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
The best feature for me is the ability to watch games on a delay. This way I can skip the between innings commercials.

Often I watch the games the morning after anyway. I live in Europe so I don't get to watch evening games live anyway
Karax268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #28
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karax268 View Post
The best feature for me is the ability to watch games on a delay. This way I can skip the between innings commercials.

Often I watch the games the morning after anyway. I live in Europe so I don't get to watch evening games live anyway
I often peek at the scores to see if I even want to watch a delay game played by my favorite team! Yes, I am a fair-weather fan in that regard. Too much bitter experience can wear a man down.

- Bru

Old 03-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #29
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I often peek at the scores to see if I even want to watch a delay game played by my favorite team! Yes, I am a fair-weather fan in that regard. Too much bitter experience can wear a man down.
I thought you were following the team from the Bronx, not the sad team on the other side of town...?

Resident Mets Cynic

Old 03-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #30
Karax268
Bat Boy

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Quote:

I try not to do that. But sometimes when a game gets a bit dull I peak to see if it's worth to continue watching
Karax268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #31
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I thought you were following the team from the Bronx, not the sad team on the other side of town...?
True, but you have to realize that there have been some bitter experiences recently, NOT that I am one of those Yankees fans that you have in mind! Last year was very exciting and satisfying for us/me, thank you. Also, bear in mind that I am also a Giants, Rangers, and Knicks fan. Especially the Knicks. Can you understand why I want to spare myself any more anguish from any source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karax268 View Post
I try not to do that. But sometimes when a game gets a bit dull I peak to see if it's worth to continue watching
Do you like, squint, so if you see bad news you can shut your eyes immediately? That's what I would do. Something like this:

Anyway, all in all, I am enjoying this new/renewed (after several years) MLB.tv experience.

- Bru

Old 03-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #32
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 487x in 342 posts
I see it was free yesterday and today.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #33
Elendil
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 17x in 12 posts
They have now paywalled Gameday Audio! You need a full MLB.tv subscription just to *listen* to the games.

Heaven is kicking back with a double Talisker and a churchwarden stuffed with latakia.
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #34
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 298x in 169 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
They have now paywalled Gameday Audio! You need a full MLB.tv subscription just to *listen* to the games.
I just have the $20 audio subscription and I can still listen.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Elendil (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #35
Elendil
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 17x in 12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I just have the $20 audio subscription and I can still listen.
I need to figure out how to get that then. I'm not *that* stupid, but I couldn't figure out where to do it.

Edit: Figured it out. They don't make it super-easy, though.

Heaven is kicking back with a double Talisker and a churchwarden stuffed with latakia.

Last edited by Elendil; 03-30-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #36
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I have a question. It was my understanding that I could not watch live Yankees games when they are home but that I could when they were away. Turns out, not:

We're sorry, you are outside of the Yankees home television territory. You will not be able to access live game streaming from your current location.

Out-of-Market Blackout: All Yankees on YES games streamed live will be blacked out outside of the Yankees' home television territory and will not be accessible if you attempt to access them from outside of such territory. If a game is blacked out in an area, it is not available for live game viewing. These blackout restrictions apply regardless of whether the New York Yankees are playing at home or away.

Regular Season Weekend U.S. National Live Blackout: Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, no Yankees on YES game occurring each Saturday with a scheduled start time after 1:10 PM ET or before 7:05 PM ET and each Sunday with a scheduled start time after 5:00 PM ET, will be available via live streaming.

Postseason Live Blackout: Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, during the MLB Postseason, no live Yankees on YES games will be available via live streaming.

I live about 45 miles east of the Bronx which I guess is "outside of the Yankees' home television territory" which is why I am listening to the game on the radio right now. Blackout.

Yet, I can watch the Red Sox at Tampa Bay on NESN live, and I am definitely out of their home television territory! YES has something of an answer on their web site:

Q: Why are the Yankees and Nets games not televised with YES' national service?
A: Due to league blackout restrictions, YES is prohibited from airing Yankees and Nets games outside of each team's respective local viewing area. YES' primary coverage area includes all of New York and Connecticut along with parts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. These league designed territories are applied to protect the local television rightsholder in each participating team's home market.

So why is this? Is it because of my cable provider, Optimum? If so, if I lived in Queens or Bronx, would that cable provider permit live streaming because I would be within the Yankee's home territory? What's the thinking behind this?

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 03-30-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:51 PM   #37
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 487x in 342 posts
Being from England the blackout restrictions go over my head, we don't have anything like that here. Nearest we have to that is no football (soccer) games can be broadcast at 3pm on a Saturday, although some places do show the games through european channels but its ilegal.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #38
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Being from England the blackout restrictions go over my head, we don't have anything like that here. Nearest we have to that is no football (soccer) games can be broadcast at 3pm on a Saturday, although some places do show the games through european channels but its ilegal.
You know, uk, I can accept the restrictions. It's not insignificant; I did pay $116 for the year and I did think that I could watch away Yankee games. But for the amount of viewing that I can do (blackout games are available 90 minutes after conclusion), plus the radio, I'm not unhappy.

Just puzzled. MLB.tv veterans, what is the dynamic here? Again, outside of home territory = NO live games. Why?

- Bru

Old 03-30-2018, 11:58 PM   #39
WahooSam
Bat Boy

Thanked 4x in 2 posts
Bru - Unless you're in some obscure parts of the country, you are in the blackout territory of at least one team (and maybe up to 6). Check out the blackout/territory maps here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_...lackout_policy

I'm a cable cutter. I've used MLB.tv on and off for years and it's always been this way for me. I've wondered and looked around some but never found a true answer to why. I believe that part of the local broadcast deal for YES (or regional Comcast Sports/Fox Sports etc.) is a provision that the cable TV provider gets exclusive right to show the team's games to a broad territory of the country (shown in the pictures in the wiki). Only to non-national games of course. That is all only a belief though. It has to be something though: MLB.tv is clearly getting more money out of you than YES (by itself for $5 a month cable carrier fee or whatever) would.

I've not heard of a cable company selling online streaming only to the local team games. On some MLB.tv broadcasts, it looks like local cable subscribers can stream home team games legally, but only because they have a relationship/account/bill for the cable provider. Not sure if that's through MLB.tv or not.
WahooSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:13 AM   #40
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again, outside of home territory = NO live games. Why?
I can not possibly grasp this. I thought that blackouts only apply *inside* home territory, like, ever.

Resident Mets Cynic