Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team is LIVE!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 02-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #1841
Rocco Del Sesto
All Star Starter

Thanked 565x in 478 posts
A New Era for Heavyweight Boxing

Lee Oma - HW - USA
Career Record: W64(KO 29) / L28(KO 17) / D3

Unknown information has been left blank.

Birth Name was Frank Czjewski

Lee was ranked as high as 6 in the Ring Magazine's February 1946 ratings for 1945 but then in 1946 into 1947 he had a spell of loosing 7 out of 9 fights with one win and one draw. That appeared to take him out of the heavyweight contenders. He managed though to get himself untracked racking up wins from mid 1948 on through 1950 until finally on January 12th 1951 he fought Ezzard Charles for the NBA World Heavyweight Title, loosing though by 10th round TKO. It turned into Oma's last career bout.His late 40's record got him ranked again in 1949 (high as 2nd) and in 1950 (9th ahead of Marciano).

The included WWW.boxing.com website is an excellent account of Oma's career.He learned to box from a parish priest in Chicago.

The whole article a good read on Oma's career.Some shadyness and questionable handling of Oma in his career maybe kept him from reaching higher potential and standing in his career.

I added this little bit of bio info but look at the included website article on Boxing.com for a great bio on Oma.

I did nothing with the rating other than changed the valid as of to 1939-10 of his first fight. I built a schedule and play tested the TBCB3 file and the results were in my opinion great and Wins was alway averaging about 66 and Losses about 26 with his KO's 3-4 short of actual. Differences not even worth thinking about tinkering with. My schedule had at least the last 2/3 rds of his career in my data base. Quite a few for a 96 fight schedule!

Look at and enjoy the Boxing.com piece on Oma.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Oma_Lee_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.6 KB, 2 views)
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #1842
Rocco Del Sesto
All Star Starter

a New Era for Heavyweight Boxing

This gentleman looked like one of the best of the 30s and 40s. Maybe never got the chance for the championship due to most of the top heavyweights would not fight or did not fight him. Of the guys we're talking about here in the mid/late 40's only Lee Savold, Ezzard Charles and Jersey Joe Walcott fought him looking through his career on BoxRec.

I took a swipe looking at his TBCB3 rating. You'll see I did down rate him some.

Elmer Ray - HW - USA
Career Record: W97(KO 69) / L23(KO 9) / D11

TITLES:
Florida State (Colored) Heavyweight Title

The included record in this bio is what is listed on BoxRec currently. There's some different accounts seen questioning the duration of Ray's career and included record.The Gruelingtruth.net account of Ray discusses record that has been found of his first fight listed by BoxRec with Walter King in 1933.

Listed as number 44 in Ring Magazines list of the 100 Greatest Punchers of all time. Defeated Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Lee Savold, Obie Walker, Leroy Haynes, and Kid Riviera.

Lost a 10 round decision to Frank Lumpkin in January 1940 for the Southern US (Colored) Heavyweight Title.

Lost another 10 round decision to Larry Lovett in Jan 1943 for what was billed as the Colored Heavyweight Title of the South.

In early 1947 after having defeated Jersey Joe Walcott in November 1946, Ray was ranked by NBA as the #1 contender to Joe Louis' heavyweight title. Ring's February 1947 annual ratings had him ranked 2nd behind Tami Mauriello behind Louis. Then in March of that year he lost a 10 round majority decision to Walcott. Ray never got the chance to square off against Louis. Classic Boxing Society on Facebook ran a Jan 2015 post on Ray commenting on how other than Jersey Joe and Ezzard Charles, the top heavies of those mid to late 40s would not fight Ray. Louis, Godoy, Mauriello, Lee Oma, Baksi, Lou Nova, Melio Bettina, Jimmy Bivins all turned down fighting Elmer Ray.

That same Facebook posting also accounts Ray's reputation as an alligator wrestler and was known to casually play with them and let them eat out of his hand!

Another good account of Ray's career on:
www.boxing.com/elmer_rays_50_in_a_row.html
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Ray_Elmer_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.6 KB, 1 views)
Thank you for this post:
IceTea (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #1843
Rocco Del Sesto
All Star Starter

a New Era for Heavyweight Boxing

Last of the NBA ranked heavyweights in July 1945 is Johnny Flynn. I saw a copy of Referee Magazine on BoxingTreasures.Com that showcased a fight between Johnny Flynn and Dave Whitlock in 1949. The cover describes how Flynn was a powerful puncher with either hand.

I have quite a few of Flynn's opponents in my data base and play testing the TBCB3 rating for him I was well pleased with the results to not do anything with the ratings. Just updated a little fighter info and Bio. His KO's and times stopped came out a tad high on both accounts but I did not figure it worth messing with the rating.

Johnny Flynn - HW - USA
Career Record: W44(KO 24) / L33(KO 13) / D2

Alias: John Kowalczyk

Defeated Melio Bettina, Ted Lowry, Rusty Payne, Joe Muscato, Johnny Haynes, Bill Weinberg, Pat Comiskey, Buddy Knox, Lee Q. Murray, Joey Maxim, Tommy Gomez, Larry Lane, and Cyclone Williams.

Toward the end of WWII in their July 1945 rankings, the NBA listed Johnny Flynn the #7 OUtstanding Boxer in the heavyweights. Flynn managed to stay in the NBA's rankings through 1946 before dropping a 10 round decision to Jimmy Bivins in January 1947 after having dropped another 10 round decision to Johnny Shkor in Sept 1946. Looking at his overall record up to that point, it's hard to rational Flynn's standing in 1945-46?
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Flynn_Johnny_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.4 KB, 1 views)