Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 18.8.76 Update Available - OOTP 18 Available - FHM 4 Available - MLB Manager 2017 Available Now

Announcing OOTP Baseball 19: Pre-order now, save 10%, and get early access!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #401
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,589x in 1,863 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Duke Snider becomes the first Southern League player to reach 400 home runs. When the 62 season came to an end Duke had exactly 400 bombs.

Shreveport repeated as Southern League champs by beating the Birmingham Slammers in World Series that went all 7 games.

MVP: Joe DiMaggio(Alexandria) .342,.416,.606 37 HR 184 wRC+ 10.1 WAR
Cy Young: Jack Kramer(Shreveport) 19-11, 2.40, 1.12 WHIP 8.9 WAR
Rookie of the Year: Jake Miller (Beaumont) 19-8 2.39 1.14 WHIP 6.9 WAR
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 01:41 AM   #402
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,189x in 1,277 posts
Top ten NL MVP for 1960:

1. Tris Speaker, 21, SFG, CF
2. Dick Dietz, 24, PIT, C
3. Noodles Hahn, 19, LAD, LHSP
4. Toad Ramsey, 20, CIN, LHSP
5. Ted Williams, 22, LAD, RF
6. Bill Foster, 28, ML1, LHSP
7. Ginger Beaumont, 30, LAD, CF
8. Gerrit Cole, 26, LAD, RHSP
9. Charlie J Ferguson, 23, STL, RHSP
10. Willie Aikens, 21, STL, 1B

Top five NL CYA for 1960:

1. Noodles Hahn, 19, LAD, LHSP
2. Toad Ramsey, 20, CIN, LHSP
3. Bill Foster, 28, ML1, LHSP
4. Gerrit Cole, 26, LAD, RHSP
5. Tom Seaver, 29, CIN, RHSP

Top three NL Mariano Rivera Award for 1960:

1. Charlie Guth, 33, PHI, RHRP
2. Reggie Richter, 31, CIN, RHRP
3. Stan Yerkes, 32, SFG, RHRP

Top three NL Jackie Robinson Award for 1960:

1. Dick Dietz, 24, PIT, C
2. Noodles Hahn, 19, LAD, LHSP
3. Jack Cronin, 21, STL, RHSP

The Pirates and Dodgers both finished at 89-73 (.549) on the regular season. The Dodgers won home field advantage on the final tie-breaking procedure by going 48-33 over the final 81 games, while the Pirates limped home at 35-46.

The Pirates managed to outscore the Dodgers in this series 30-22, but they were unable to advance, as 19 of those 30 runs came in Game 4, which was a magnificent game for rookie C Dick Dietz, who went 3 for 4 with 2 walks, 5 runs, 3 HR, and 7 RBI in a 19-2 drubbing of the Dodgers. 11 runs in the other five games was not enough to get it done for the Buccos though, as they lost 4 games to 2.

The Dodgers led Game 1 2-1 going to the 8th inning, but an RBI double by Dusty Rhodes, and an RBI single by Bill Keister gave them a 3-2 lead and 36-year old Derek Jeter added an insurance run with a HR in the ninth to help the Pirates to a 4-2 victory. Ted Williams hit a tiebreaking 2-run HR off Early Wynn in the bottom of the seventh inning of Game 2 to break up a 5-5 tie and give the Dodgers a split at home with a 7-5 win. It was his second two-run HR off Wynn in the game (he hit another one in the 1st inning), and he also had a double with one out in the fifth inning off Wynn. Joe Gonzales and Chief Yellow Horse finished up in relief of Gene Conley, and a best of seven became a best of five as we headed to The Steel City.

Game 3 was a pitching masterpiece by Gerrit Cole of the Dodgers, as he tossed a six-hit complete game shutout at the Pirates with 0 BB and 5 K. He threw just 99 pitches for the win. Moundmate Jose Quintana was very good as well, just not as good as Cole. Lyle Overbay drove in Ted Williams with an RBI single in the 4th, while Ivan Murrell doubled Williams home in the sixth for the only two runs of the ballgame. Game 4 was the blowout, and the game of a lifetime for Dick Dietz to knot the series up at 2. Game 5 was another great pitchers duel as well, as Gene Conley and Early Wynn both went eight innings, with Conley emerging victorious for the Dodgers in a 2-1 squeaker. Brandon Crawford had an RBI double to tie the score at 1 in the seventh, and Ivan Murrell had a soul crushing solo blast in the ninth off Early Wynn to give the Dodgers the runs they would need.

A seven run bottom of the sixth inning (on 3 singles, 2 doubles, 1 triple and two errors) blew the doors off of Game 7, and Gerrit Cole cruised to a 7-1 victory, allowing just 3 hits over eight innings, while Dennys Reyes mopped up the low leverage (if there is such a thing in the postseason) ninth inning with a 1-2-3 frame, and the Dodgers were off to the World Series.

Series MVPs for the three different series' were as follows. All Athletics' SS Jimmy Ryan did in the ALCS was go 12 for 22, .545/.600/.909/1.509 (323 OPS+, 327 wRC+) with 3 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, and 5 RBI. He tore a thumb ligament after 2 AB in Game 6, or his numbers might've been even better. Dodger RF Ted Williams went one hit better than Ryan in the NLCS, as he went 13 for 22, .591/.625/1.000/1.625 with 3 2B, 2 HR, and 4 RBI, and even threw in a stolen base for good measure. In the World Series, it was Athletics' CF/1B Cesar Cedeno's turn to go on a rampage and push his team over the top as he threw up a 12 for 26, .462/.483/.615/1.098 series with 2 2B, a 3B, and 7 RBI. So Kansas City has its first World Series title, and it's the sixth in Athletics franchise history. Two teams will take their first steps as franchises in 1961: The (new) Washington Senators, and the Los Angeles Angels.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:17 AM   #403
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Two more additions to the million dollar man club this offseason. OF Chick Stahl signed a 7 year/$1,190,000 deal with the Milwaukee Braves on January 23, 1961. C Tom Haller signed a 6 year/$1,126,000 contract with the Detroit Tigers on February 5th, 1961. Haller is a five-time All-Star, so maybe that'll get the Tigers going again. They've missed the postseason four years in a row after a very good 11 year run that featured 6 postseason appearances and three World Series titles. The Angels and Senators have been signing free agents like maniacs. It looks like the Angels have signed 20 so far, while the Senators have inked 14.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:27 AM   #404
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

The preseason predictions are out, and it's not looking pretty for the Angels and the Senators, despite their free agent frenzies. The predictions have the Senators posting a 63-99 record with a -174 run differential. The Angels are projected to go 59-103 with a -209 run differential. Could be a looong season in Los Angeles and Washington respectively, but at least they have major league baseball teams.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #405
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Going to be interesting to see what becomes of Justin Verlander. During start number 18 of 1962 Justin tore his flexor tendon in his elbow. He hasn't pitched since. Looks like he will miss at least the first two months of 1963. Justin is 31, 130-92 2.93 139 ERA+ 54.8 WAR. His career is in the hands of the OOTP Gods now, so only time will tell.
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #406
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

The Los Angeles Angels played their first ever game on Opening Day, 1961. They downed the Detroit Tigers 3-1 (10 innings) in Detroit. Box Score (in two parts) here:
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 01-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #407
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

The Washington Senators (1961) played their first ever game on Opening Day, 1961. They also won 3-1 over their beltway rivals, the Baltimore Orioles. 2-part Box Score here:
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 01-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #408
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I know I probably sound like a raving lunatic, but man is there anything better than when your leagues history gets to that point when storylines take on that real life like feel? When you start thinking of your league as if it's not a file on your HP, but a real league that the whole world should be following.

I'm currently playing out year 17 of my random debut Southern League. Lake Charles has yet to ever see the post season. For several years now, they have been close, but always find a way to fall short at the end of the season. The Pirates have Ernie Banks and Richie Ashburn in their current lineup, plus Larry French in the rotation. I think the interesting thing to see right now is, will the Pirates make the post season or lose Ashburn or Banks or both to free agency.

The Corpus Christi Beachbums are another team that haven't been able to put any type of run together. Corpus did make one trip to the post season, but for the most part, they have been among the bottom feeders of the league.

Goofy thing is, I find one part of me roots for these teams to end their struggles, while another part of me enjoys their hard luck stories, because their failures only add to the history of my league.

Last edited by David Watts; 01-15-2018 at 01:38 PM.
2 thanks for this post:
actionjackson (01-15-2018), DawnBTVS (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #409
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I know I probably sound like a raving lunatic, but man is there anything better than when your leagues history gets to that point when storylines take on that real life like feel? When you start thinking of your league as if it's not a file on your HP, but a real league that the whole world should be following.

I'm currently playing out year 17 of my random debut Southern League. Lake Charles has yet to ever see the post season. For several years now, they have been close, but always find a way to fall short at the end of the season. The Pirates have Ernie Banks and Richie Ashburn in their current lineup, plus Larry French in the rotation. I think the interesting thing to see right now is, will the Pirates make the post season or lose Ashburn or Banks or both to free agency.

The Corpus Christi Beachbums are another team that haven't been able to put any type of run together. Corpus did make one trip to the post season, but for the most part, they have been among the bottom feeders of the league.

Goofy thing is, I find one part of me roots for these teams to end their struggles, while another part of me enjoys their hard luck stories, because their failures only add to the history of my league.
I had that happen to me IRL. I was at a Tigers/Blue Jays game in 2016. A Tigers' fan was sitting a couple of seats over in the aisle from me. I mentioned that, while it was obvious Miguel Cabrera was HoF bound when his career was over, the interesting question was going to be Victor Martinez. I was trying to cheer the guy up. He was quite dejected about the Tigers. It was only after the conversation that I realized the fact that Victor Martinez going into the HoF in my random debut had completely influenced that line of thinking. When I got home and checked the numbers I realized that there is no way in hell that RL Victor Martinez should go in. Don't get me wrong, he's been a good (sometimes very good) player, but I don't think he's Hall worthy at all.
2 thanks for this post:
David Watts (01-15-2018), JaBurns (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #410
JaBurns
All Star Reserve

Thanked 257x in 205 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
The Los Angeles Angels played their first ever game on Opening Day, 1961. They downed the Detroit Tigers 3-1 (10 innings) in Detroit. Box Score (in two parts) here:
Where did you get the logos for the Angels and Senators? One of my favourite things in this game is logos, unis, & caps.
Still doing a little random debut but am off on another tangent started a historical 1946 league. Like looking up the players on goggle and looking at their stats. The biggest thing it setting up the logos, unis, & caps.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #411
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Where did you get the logos for the Angels and Senators? One of my favourite things in this game is logos, unis, & caps.
Still doing a little random debut but am off on another tangent started a historical 1946 league. Like looking up the players on goggle and looking at their stats. The biggest thing it setting up the logos, unis, & caps.
The file that I use for it is called "MLBCompiled1901-2011full". I have gathered so many of these mod thingies over the years that I'm no longer sure where I got it from. I could try to look it up though. Ugh. Easy to say, tough to do.

From 2012 through 2017, you would need to use the logos, jerseys, and ballcaps that come with the game. I believe Gambo put this file out in a zip file, so if you search for it via an advanced search, search with his name to narrow your focus. There's also one (called 19th_Century_FaceGen) for the 19th century that I've used before. Not sure who put those out, but I remember them being awesome.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #412
JaBurns
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
The file that I use for it is called "MLBCompiled1901-2011full". I have gathered so many of these mod thingies over the years that I'm no longer sure where I got it from. I could try to look it up though. Ugh. Easy to say, tough to do.

From 2012 through 2017, you would need to use the logos, jerseys, and ballcaps that come with the game. I believe Gambo put this file out in a zip file, so if you search for it via an advanced search, search with his name to narrow your focus. There's also one (called 19th_Century_FaceGen) for the 19th century that I've used before. Not sure who put those out, but I remember them being awesome.
I have tons of logos etc mostly from the mods section. I am a big fan of TxRanger’s work. Just have never seen either the Angels or Senators logo you have, I will have to look for them.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #413
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

1961 playoffs not played yet, but here are the final standings, hitting stats, and pitching stats for the season.

In the AL, the Orioles, Indians, and Athletics finished in a three-way tie for first at 96-66. The way I resolved it (not sure it's 100% the correct way) was I looked at head to head records in games involving the three teams. The Orioles were a combined 20-16 (12-6 against Cleveland, 8-10 against Kansas City), the Indians were a combined 15-21 (6-12 against Baltimore, 9-9 against Kansas City), while the Athletics were a combined 19-17 (10-8 against Baltimore, 9-9 against Cleveland). I therefore gave a bye to the Orioles and gave them home field advantage in the ALCS, and scheduled a Game 163 between the Indians and the Athletics, giving Kansas City the homefield advantage. The Indians won 10-4 with a huge assist from DH Johnny Mize who blasted two solo shots and a grand slam, so I put them in the ALCS against Baltimore with Baltimore getting the home field advantage for the series despite Cleveland technically having the better record by a half-game.

In the NL, the Cardinals finished 1st at 94-68, while the Reds and Pirates tied for second at 86-76. The Reds went 15-9 against the Pirates in the regular season, so I scheduled a Game 163 between the two teams, giving Cincinnati home field advantage. A couple of solo shots from John J Anderson and 8 innings of 4-hit, 10 K pitching from Toad Ramsey allowed the Reds to come away with a 2-1 victory over the Pirates, and send them to the NLCS against the Cardinals.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Thank you for this post:
JaBurns (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #414
JaBurns
All Star Reserve

Red Porter

Where did he come from?
Looked up in baseball reference but I cannot find anyone of that name even close to putting numbers like are shown in your stats.
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (01-18-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #415
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where did he come from?
Looked up in baseball reference but I cannot find anyone of that name even close to putting numbers like are shown in your stats.
He's out of the Spritze database. He was a PCL Player in 1928 and 1929. Spritze's Neutralized Batting Stats for him are kind of poopy except that he has prodigious power. He's a slightly below the Mendoza line kind of guy with insane power. Here's the Neutered Stats that his ratings are based on. He probably shouldn't be hitting as well as he is, but there you go. You can also find Chino Smith (Negro Leaguer from Spritze), and Louis Santop (Negro Leaguer) in that top hitters list as well as Bill Foster (Negro Leaguer), and Bullet Rogan (Negro Leaguer) in the top pitchers list.

I use a random number generator to throw in two extra players from the Spritze database using the master file in every draft. For a long time at the start of doing this I wasn't getting any Negro Leaguers (still haven't landed on one yet), so I made a rule that they only had to appear somewhere on the page close to the player that I get from the random number generator, and I include at least one of them in the two random players that I put in. I'll be increasing that number to three in 1969, when the league goes to 24 teams in total, and four when it gets to the current level of thirty teams.

Oscar Charleston came through and is still around, but not quite as brilliant as he once was. They're not all studs. Some of them are quite mediocre actually. I've gotten quite a few Japanese, Korean, and even a very few Taiwanese players into the game that I never would've come across otherwise, as well as the PCL guys. Most of the PCL guys are terribad, but Red Porter looks like he's gonna be OK. He's not good defensively, and his offense should only consist of dingers, but he's been able to put up a .279 career average so far, so we'll see where he goes from here.
Attached Images

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-16-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Thank you for this post:
JaBurns (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #416
JaBurns
All Star Reserve

I saw those stats in baseball reference but didn’t think he could be the guy. I know I have asked this before but what setting do you have for talent change randomness?
I vary that setting whenever I start a new league with one of my, usually scatter brained, ideas. Usually only run 3 to 10 seasons before I either get bored or come up with a new off the wall idea.
Still looking for my niche, admire people like you and Mr. Watts who seem to found their “perfect” way to play this amazing simulation.
I am not giving I am having too much fun experimenting and I know eventually a setup while grab me for a very extended period.
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (01-18-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #417
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I saw those stats in baseball reference but didn’t think he could be the guy. I know I have asked this before but what setting do you have for talent change randomness?
I vary that setting whenever I start a new league with one of my, usually scatter brained, ideas. Usually only run 3 to 10 seasons before I either get bored or come up with a new off the wall idea.
Still looking for my niche, admire people like you and Mr. Watts who seem to found their “perfect” way to play this amazing simulation.
I am not giving I am having too much fun experimenting and I know eventually a setup while grab me for a very extended period.
I use all the default settings for player development. Sometimes guys crash hard, and sometimes they stick around forever. Kinda boring eh?

You'll find your niche. I spent the entire development cycle of OOTP10 (or OOTPX as it's sometimes also known) messing around with all of the settings to figure out what they did and to figure out what worked and what didn't for me. Then I found a way to play where I couldn't exploit the AI. I covered over the names in the master.csv file with randomly generated names. That worked until the master.csv file became too big to load safely without crashing the game. You used to be able to load up the game using the master.csv or the historical database.odb believe it or not. Once you could only load up the game using the historical database.odb the search was on again for my niche.

I spent OOTP12 and OOTP13 trying to get that old way to work before throwing my hands up in frustration. Then OOTP14 came out, and random debut was included. I stumbled across a great thread by a cool poster who hasn't been around in a while named VanillaGorilla. He was really enthusiastic about random debut, and I got right into it as well. Incidentally, David Watts was also a frequent commenter in that thread. Since I'd already spent a ton of time fumbling around with settings and what they did, once I found random debut - BOOM! I was off to the races.

I've refined several things over the years since then, and that would definitely come in handy if I were to start over again with a fresh random debut dynasty. But I would only start over again with said fresh dynasty in OOTP16, as that is my sweet spot as far as this franchise is concerned. Different strokes for different folks, but OOTP16 is definitely my favourite version ever. It has everything I need for a random debut historical really. I miss having guys like Lindor, Correa, Seager etc etc etc, but I greatly prefer OOTP16 to anything since.
Thank you for this post:
JaBurns (01-17-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #418
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

January 26th, 1962: Two new million dollar men to add to the list. Negro League LHSP Bill Foster signed a 6-year/$1,164,000 deal with the San Francisco Giants, and 3B/OF Ken Williams signed a 6-year/$1,200,000 deal with the Milwaukee Braves. Interestingly enough, the Athletics primary 3B (Williams) of the last couple of years signed with the Braves, while the Braves longtime 3B Jimmy Collins signed with the Athletics.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #419
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

First Round of the 1961 Amateur Draft:

1. Mets: Adrian Zabala, LHP
2. Colt .45's: Lloyd Waner, LF/CF
3. Angels: Bill Freehan, C/1B
4. Senators: Don Robinson, RHP
5. Braves: Chris Gomez, 2B/SS
6. Phillies: Al Bumbry, LF/RF
7. Yankees: Bob Stanley, RHP
8. Red Sox: Dan Haren, RHP
9. Cubs: Ruppert Jones, CF/RF
10. White Sox: John Curtis, LHP
11. Giants: Pat Tabler, 2B/3B
12. Red Sox: Matt Thornton, LHP
13. Tigers: Odell Hale, 2B/3B
14. Giants: Lee Stange, RHP
15. Pirates: Jimmy Haynes, RHP
16. Reds: Mark Lewis, 2B/SS
17. Cardinals: Jacoby Ellsbury, OF
18. White Sox: Angel Scull, RF (Spritze Negro Leaguer)
19. Twins: Ken Sanders, RHP
20. Indians: Jocko Milligan, C

The Tigers also drafted Ed Cushman, LHP, Joe Cascarella, RHP, Dick Weik, RHP, Jorge Roque, LF, George Wetzel, RHP, and Orie Kerlin, C.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #420
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

The Colt .45's won the coin flip for first pick in the 1961 Expansion Draft, so they went first in a Serpentine Draft (that I got to work this time, yay! ). Here are the first 10 of 60 total picks in that draft:

1. Colt .45's: Ed Cushman, LHP (from Detroit Tigers)
2. Mets: Bill Keister, IF (from Pittsburgh Pirates)
3. Mets: Marc Krauss, 1B/OF (from San Francisco Giants)
4. Colt .45's: Jamie Moyer, LHP (from Cleveland Indians)
5. Colt .45's: Earl Webb, 1B/OF (from Boston Red Sox)
6. Mets: Tom Downey, IF (from Pittsburgh Pirates)
7. Mets: Walt Masterson, RHP (from Pittsburgh Pirates)
8. Colt .45's: Lem Cross, RHP (from Chicago Cubs)
9. Colt .45's: Johnny Enzmann, RHP (from New York Yankees)
10. Mets: Fred Beebe, RHP (from Baltimore Orioles)

So the first ever Colt .45 (except for Lloyd Waner and the rest of the amateur draft picks) is Ed Cushman. I can't believe the Tigers didn't protect him, but they didn't. The first ever Met (aside from Adrian Zabala et al) is Bill Keister. First ever Senator Earl Wilson (RHP) was taken by the Colt .45's with their sixth pick. He only tossed 4.2 IP in 1961 and posted a 9.64 ERA in 5 relief appearances for the Senators. Perhaps he'll have better luck in 1962.

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-18-2018 at 10:18 PM.