Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #21
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,099
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,354
Thanked 2,124x in 1,211 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
i've never looked. is the ai spending on it when those things are disabled?

scouting discoveries may be part of that budget? but, not much value in accurate scouting on those unless your complex is perpetually maxed out. even then, using the fifo method will cast out older/mil-scouted players in complexe from past discovery additions.

i'd say it should be zeroed for AI if no int'l leagues exist for sure... and, i hope they don't change the way it works, lol. splitting 24m between 3 instead of 4 is nice.
It appears to me that the AI does in fact spend money on international leagues even when they are not enabled.

So why not mimic internationals being on by having the accuracy of the ones generated affected by how much you spend on international scouting? Same with the international amateurs? Not sure it's being handled the best way in it's current form.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:34 PM   #22
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,099
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,354
Thanked 2,124x in 1,211 posts
here is my scouting budget with international scouting zeroed out. The other is the AI controlled Orioles. Ordinarily I cannot see the AI scouting budget. However, if I turn on commish mode, this is what you will see with the AI controlled teams'.
Attached Images
Image Image 
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #23
Tazilon
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 87
Thanks: 6
Thanked 5x in 4 posts
In my fantasy leagues, I usually put the most money into International scouting and have had great results doing that.
Tazilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #24
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,099
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,354
Thanked 2,124x in 1,211 posts
yes, but if you don't have the international leagues enabled...it is pointless.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #25
jimmysthebestcop
All Star Reserve
 
jimmysthebestcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 621
Thanks: 152
Thanked 292x in 179 posts
International scouting has Zero impact on a conventional or IRL MLB setup. That would only be for players actually playing in any International League who are currently on that foreign teams roster.

As soon as they are free agents they are counted as Major Leaguers. Now maybwe the leagues that have purchasing and inter league trades on need International Scouting.

But not 1 MLB teams needs International Scouting in the conventional setup. Because the only time it would ever come into play is for posted players which are extremely rare.

So either the manual is completely wrong. Or the game mechanics are really bizarre for standard setups which I assume most people play. I would further assume quickstarts with out any Int league are played even more.

So the question is why is International Scouting even a listed item for MLB teams in setups? It should be disabled unless trading between major leagues is turned on.

Or the entire scouting system changed.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
low (04-26-2019), PSUColonel (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #26
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,099
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,354
Thanked 2,124x in 1,211 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
International scouting has Zero impact on a conventional or IRL MLB setup. That would only be for players actually playing in any International League who are currently on that foreign teams roster.

As soon as they are free agents they are counted as Major Leaguers. Now maybwe the leagues that have purchasing and inter league trades on need International Scouting.

But not 1 MLB teams needs International Scouting in the conventional setup. Because the only time it would ever come into play is for posted players which are extremely rare.

So either the manual is completely wrong. Or the game mechanics are really bizarre for standard setups which I assume most people play. I would further assume quickstarts with out any Int league are played even more.

So the question is why is International Scouting even a listed item for MLB teams in setups? It should be disabled unless trading between major leagues is turned on.

Or the entire scouting system changed.
This
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
jimmysthebestcop (04-29-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 05:42 AM   #27
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 196
Thanks: 25
Thanked 64x in 37 posts
Scouting discoveries is the reason I would assume.

Scouting discoveries neither play in foreign leagues nor are they FAs.

Last edited by TPinrose; 04-27-2019 at 05:46 AM.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:00 PM   #28
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,099
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,354
Thanked 2,124x in 1,211 posts
They are amateurs...and scouted as amateurs I believe...they should be scouted as internationals IMO.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #29
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 196
Thanks: 25
Thanked 64x in 37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
They are amateurs...and scouted as amateurs I believe...they should be scouted as internationals IMO.
This is what the manual says:


"Whether you are scouting major leagues, minor leagues, internationally, or amateurs, the basic output is the same: individual scouting reports for the scouted players. However, when scouting internationally, there is also a possibility that your scouting team will turn up a "hidden player," someone from abroad who other teams are not yet aware of. When this happens, you will have a chance to sign the player before any other team.

This "hidden player" feature is an option that can be enabled or disabled during game creation in the Player Options section of the Game Options page. After a game has been created, you can adjust it by navigating to OOTP Menu >> Game Setup >> Player & Picture Options.

If hidden players are disabled, you can still scout internationally, but you will only receive individual scouting reports, and will not be able to find hidden players."


This has led me to believe that international scouting only affects the chance of a scouting discovery.


IFA- scouted as major league

IAFA- scouted as minor league (not amateur)


What's left? The lower levels of foreign leagues. And I don't believe those players are accessible.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
BIG17EASY (04-30-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #30
jimmysthebestcop
All Star Reserve
 
jimmysthebestcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 621
Thanks: 152
Thanked 292x in 179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPinrose View Post
This is what the manual says:


"Whether you are scouting major leagues, minor leagues, internationally, or amateurs, the basic output is the same: individual scouting reports for the scouted players. However, when scouting internationally, there is also a possibility that your scouting team will turn up a "hidden player," someone from abroad who other teams are not yet aware of. When this happens, you will have a chance to sign the player before any other team.

This "hidden player" feature is an option that can be enabled or disabled during game creation in the Player Options section of the Game Options page. After a game has been created, you can adjust it by navigating to OOTP Menu >> Game Setup >> Player & Picture Options.

If hidden players are disabled, you can still scout internationally, but you will only receive individual scouting reports, and will not be able to find hidden players."


This has led me to believe that international scouting only affects the chance of a scouting discovery.


IFA- scouted as major league

IAFA- scouted as minor league (not amateur)


What's left? The lower levels of foreign leagues. And I don't believe those players are accessible.
I think that is legacy stuff still in the manual they don't really write a new each year.

The hidden player thing doesn't even work that way for many versions now.

Scouting discoveries is something every team gets xxx number of each year if that option is turned on under settings. Almost none of them will be scouted over 1 star. They might pop and gain potential because they can be stored many times for 4-5 years in the International system before getting to your minor league.

It is not effected by international scouting at all. Part of your scouts job is to go find unsigned amateur talent. Their ratings are based on Amateur Scouting until they gain minor league experience and then count as Minor League scouting.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #31
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 213
Thanks: 68
Thanked 55x in 45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazilon View Post
In my fantasy leagues, I usually put the most money into International scouting and have had great results doing that.
In what respect?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #32
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 196
Thanks: 25
Thanked 64x in 37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
I think that is legacy stuff still in the manual they don't really write a new each year.

The hidden player thing doesn't even work that way for many versions now.

Scouting discoveries is something every team gets xxx number of each year if that option is turned on under settings. Almost none of them will be scouted over 1 star. They might pop and gain potential because they can be stored many times for 4-5 years in the International system before getting to your minor league.

It is not effected by international scouting at all. Part of your scouts job is to go find unsigned amateur talent. Their ratings are based on Amateur Scouting until they gain minor league experience and then count as Minor League scouting.

I agree that the manual is updated infrequently.


However, there is no evidence that scouting discoveries are scouted as amateurs. Do you have some way to show that, or is that just how you think it should be, or what makes the most sense to you? I can say from experience that even with no international budget that yes you still receive discoveries but perhaps the international budget affects the quality of the discoveries or the accuracy of their scouting report.


Because as I showed above, if the international scouting does not affect discoveries, it seems to affect absolutely nothing that I can think of, and we should all make it zero.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:30 PM   #33
jimmysthebestcop
All Star Reserve
 
jimmysthebestcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 621
Thanks: 152
Thanked 292x in 179 posts
Scouting Discoveries are scouted as Amateurs because they have ZERO professional time. That's what being amateur is means!!!!!!!! Teams gain them no matter what. Scouting just pulls back the veil on their abilities.

They don't gain professional service time until they are promoted to your teams minor league system. Then they are scouted as Minor Leaguers.

If they get cut with Zero pro time they are still amateurs. If you promote them to minor leagues and they get 1 day of pro time when they are on the free agent list they are scouted as major league.

Same thing with draft picks. You cut a draft pick before he plays 1 day. He is still an amateur when he is a free agent. But you cut him after he has 1 day then he scouts as a major leaguer on the free agent list.

International Scouting is only for players on current international rosters. Say your a Japan GM everyone on a MLB roster is now scouted as an International Player. Because they are on the current roster. If they are cut again counted as Major League.

This is how its always been in the manual for scouting budget and scouting gm. No idea where this talk of discoveries comes into it. Discoveries has basically nothing to with scouting except to show what their ratings are while they are in your IFA system
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Sharkn20 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 06:10 AM   #34
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 196
Thanks: 25
Thanked 64x in 37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Scouting Discoveries are scouted as Amateurs because they have ZERO professional time. That's what being amateur is means!!!!!!!! Teams gain them no matter what. Scouting just pulls back the veil on their abilities.

They don't gain professional service time until they are promoted to your teams minor league system. Then they are scouted as Minor Leaguers.

If they get cut with Zero pro time they are still amateurs. If you promote them to minor leagues and they get 1 day of pro time when they are on the free agent list they are scouted as major league.

Same thing with draft picks. You cut a draft pick before he plays 1 day. He is still an amateur when he is a free agent. But you cut him after he has 1 day then he scouts as a major leaguer on the free agent list.

International Scouting is only for players on current international rosters. Say your a Japan GM everyone on a MLB roster is now scouted as an International Player. Because they are on the current roster. If they are cut again counted as Major League.

This is how its always been in the manual for scouting budget and scouting gm. No idea where this talk of discoveries comes into it. Discoveries has basically nothing to with scouting except to show what their ratings are while they are in your IFA system

OK, say I stipulate that what you say about international scouting is correct. Functionally, what is the point of it other than say if I wanted to peruse the players on foreign rosters?


IAFA- scouted as minor league (as stated directly in manual and quoted above)

IFA- scouted as major league (as stated directly in manual and quoted above)


From a competitive POV, why do I want to put money in this? As soon as the player becomes available to me (in either IFA or IAFA) he is scouted using something other than international scouting. If you are correct, then discoveries are scouted as amateur, again not international.


So if I'm not the kind of player that likes to explore his universe for fun and flavor, international scouting seems to serve no purrpose and I can safely direct all money to other areas.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
PSUColonel (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 06:26 AM   #35
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 196
Thanks: 25
Thanked 64x in 37 posts
Also, I'm going to quote this again:

Manual-
"Whether you are scouting major leagues, minor leagues, internationally, or amateurs, the basic output is the same: individual scouting reports for the scouted players. However, [b/]when scouting internationally[b], there is also a possibility that your scouting team will turn up a "hidden player," someone from abroad who other teams are not yet aware of. When this happens, you will have a chance to sign the player before any other team.

This "hidden player" feature is an option that can be enabled or disabled during game creation in the Player Options section of the Game Options page. After a game has been created, you can adjust it by navigating to OOTP Menu >> Game Setup >> Player & Picture Options.

If hidden players are disabled, you can still scout internationally, but you will only receive individual scouting reports, and will not be able to find hidden players."



How to parse this paragraph? It's vague because "scouting internationally" can be taken as general scouting outside your country or it can mean using the international scouting budget. Personally, given the context and the preceding sentence, I think it's the latter. So I disagree that discoveries are scouted as amateurs. If someone can point to some authority (manual or Dev post) that states they are scouted as amateurs I will happily agree and apologize.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
BIG17EASY (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #36
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,099
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,354
Thanked 2,124x in 1,211 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPinrose View Post
Also, I'm going to quote this again:

Manual-
"Whether you are scouting major leagues, minor leagues, internationally, or amateurs, the basic output is the same: individual scouting reports for the scouted players. However, [b/]when scouting internationally[b], there is also a possibility that your scouting team will turn up a "hidden player," someone from abroad who other teams are not yet aware of. When this happens, you will have a chance to sign the player before any other team.

This "hidden player" feature is an option that can be enabled or disabled during game creation in the Player Options section of the Game Options page. After a game has been created, you can adjust it by navigating to OOTP Menu >> Game Setup >> Player & Picture Options.

If hidden players are disabled, you can still scout internationally, but you will only receive individual scouting reports, and will not be able to find hidden players."



How to parse this paragraph? It's vague because "scouting internationally" can be taken as general scouting outside your country or it can mean using the international scouting budget. Personally, given the context and the preceding sentence, I think it's the latter. So I disagree that discoveries are scouted as amateurs. If someone can point to some authority (manual or Dev post) that states they are scouted as amateurs I will happily agree and apologize.
what he is saying, is this no longer appears to be the case,
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #37
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer
 
Matt Arnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Here and there
Posts: 8,668
Thanks: 982
Thanked 10,668x in 4,206 posts
IAFA and scouting discoveries are scouted as "international".
Players with no experience (ie. draft) are amateurs.
Players on major league rosters (or FA with major league experience) are majors.
Players on minor league teams are minors.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
7 thanks for this post:
BIG17EASY (04-30-2019), BirdWatcher (04-30-2019), dbqs (04-30-2019), Mat (04-30-2019), PSUColonel (04-30-2019), stiffy (05-15-2019), TPinrose (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #38
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 213
Thanks: 68
Thanked 55x in 45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
IAFA and scouting discoveries are scouted as "international".
Players with no experience (ie. draft) are amateurs.
Players on major league rosters (or FA with major league experience) are majors.
Players on minor league teams are minors.
Does the quality of Scouting Discoveries relates to how much money you put into International Scouting?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #39
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter
 
BirdWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,962
Thanks: 1,493
Thanked 776x in 542 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
IAFA and scouting discoveries are scouted as "international".
Players with no experience (ie. draft) are amateurs.
Players on major league rosters (or FA with major league experience) are majors.
Players on minor league teams are minors.
Well, there you go.
Guess I'm gonna need to bump up that international portion of the budget again. That's what I get for listening to rumors.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
BIG17EASY (04-30-2019), PSUColonel (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #40
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer
 
Matt Arnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Here and there
Posts: 8,668
Thanks: 982
Thanked 10,668x in 4,206 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
Does the quality of Scouting Discoveries relates to how much money you put into International Scouting?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yes, both the quality of your scout for scouting internationals and the money you put in.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
PSUColonel (04-30-2019)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments