Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 07-09-2018, 12:48 AM   #1
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Thanked 591x in 330 posts
An interactive dynasty thread/report: Las Vegas Sharks

I'm using 100% Accurate Scouting, and 1-100 scale where possible.
Also - the way I hope this works is that there'll be questions from you guys (reporters) and as the GM/manager, I will answer them.

November 1st, 2018

Las Vegas, NV - Today baseball welcomed their two newest franchises, the expansion Las Vegas Sharks and Charlotte Spiders. Excitement was high in the two chosen cities as the teams unveiled their initial staff and on field personell. In a decision that will surely be questioned for years to come, the roles of GM and Manager will both be filled by former Mets executive Tejesh Patel, who was rumored to be the successor to Sandy Alderson before deciding to take the Sharks opportunity.

"There are only 30... excuse me, 32, of these jobs available in this sport, and the guarantee of one versus the inside track on one... you take the guarantee, every time." said the 34 year old, at his introductory press conference. "The unique challenge of building a franchise... an organization, from the ground up... it truly was too great a chance to pass up. I basically have carte blanche here."

Patel got right to work, the expansion draft merely a month away, he assembled a staff of top men, led by two of baseball's brightest minds, Andrew Friedman (Assistant GM) and Theo Epstein (Scouting Director). The remainder of the major league staff includes: Tauro Espina (Bench Coach), Jeff Renfroe (Pitching Coach), Jeremy McNab (Hitting Coach), and Bobby Wood (Head Trainer).

"We're going to face some incredible difficulties in our first few seasons, and we definitely will not be replicating the success of our cousins, the Golden Knights, that's for sure." Patel said, half-shrugging. "Baseball doesn't really lend itself to that."

For now, it just remains to be seen what the initial roster for the Sharks will look like. Patel indicated that, while this press conference was totally devoid of questions, he will have an extensive Q&A session with the media following the conclusion of the Rule V Draft in mid December.
-------------------------
-------------------------
Initial 25 man roster following the Expansion and Rule V Drafts
Pitching

Hitting

Initial Financial Information:
Payroll: $14,827,225
Stadium Capacity: 57,345
Ticket Price: $9.00
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
jasg224 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 02:17 AM   #2
tejdog1
All Star Starter

December 16th, 2018:
The Las Vegas Sharks today announced that they have purchased the contracts of 16 players from foreign and domestic independent leagues.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
jasg224
Bat Boy

Thanked 7x in 4 posts
That's not a bad looking roster. Hopefully the Sharks can strengthen it even more in the Expansion Draft.

Charros de Jalisco in the LMB Dynasty
jasg224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg224 View Post
That's not a bad looking roster. Hopefully the Sharks can strengthen it even more in the Expansion Draft.
That roster is post Expansion/Rule V Drafts.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
tejdog1
All Star Starter

April 4th, 2019
Las Vegas, NV - - The Sharks today unveiled their inaugural opening day roster, a lackluster collection of castoffs from 30 other major league clubs which, on paper, looks sure to challenge the 1962 Mets record for futility.

"We do expect to face many challenges on the way to building this organization from the ground up." General Manager Tejesh Patel said, "Teams, organizations, rebuild all the time, they believe in being up front with their fans. As do I. We do not expect the first three seasons, at the very least, to go well. Our goals for this season lie more in improving our farm system than major league success. There needs to be a solid foundation beneath us before we start reaching for the clouds. From my time in New York, working under the Wilpons, I've seen firsthand what half-assing things does, and I'm not following in their footsteps."

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-12-2018, 02:20 AM   #6
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Draft Day 2019, with the Sharks holding the top pick, a welcome respite for fans already fed up with the major league team (14-48, 28 games back, .226 WPCT)

Meet the Sharks top 6 picks.

GM Tejesh Patel went into the draft with a board of five players he would've taken first overall, and he's tickled pink with the fact he was able to grab major upside in the first six rounds.

"Patrick Simmons was our first pick, he offered us the most upside of anyone we had on our board. However, we had someone we would've loved to have taken with our second pick, who got taken in the handful of picks ahead of us. At that point, we decided to just go BPA, regardless of slot, it's purely coincidence we went all high school. Overall, we feel very fortunate to have come away with the haul we did. Diaz and Williams will be very difficult signs, but we're confident we'll be able to get both. Gargus is another very difficult sign, but we're already negotiating with him, as well as with Simmons. We expect to have some signings to announce soon."

As for the major league team, Patel was... non-commital.

"What you see is what you get. As I said pre-season, the foundation needs to be built for this organization before we go reaching for lofty aspirations. It's going to be painful. There's just no way around that. If you take a look at our sister team, the Spiders are 17-45, they're not doing better, however, their payroll is quadruple ours. My philosophy is why? What's the need there? They may win 58, 59 games, and we'll win 42, 43 games. With where we are right now, it just doesn't make sense to pursue marginal win upgrades."

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
tenthreeleader
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 14x in 10 posts
Reporter question:

"How do you respond to local criticism that claims you aren't interested in putting a major league team on the field? The Las Vegas Review-Journal's latest opinion column says that even though the Spiders are also having trouble, they have a few players more likely to give fans their money's worth. They also question six high school players in the first six rounds -- why not find someone who's major league ready? What do you say to them?"

Real life observation: great idea. Will be following!
Old 07-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthreeleader View Post
Reporter question:

"How do you respond to local criticism that claims you aren't interested in putting a major league team on the field? The Las Vegas Review-Journal's latest opinion column says that even though the Spiders are also having trouble, they have a few players more likely to give fans their money's worth. They also question six high school players in the first six rounds -- why not find someone who's major league ready? What do you say to them?"
"Well, first of all, thanks for the question. The major league draft is not an area to be targetting needs, but rather, one where you take best player, most upside, as we did. Unfortunately, we do have to report that our second rounder, Jason Diaz, declined to sign with the organization, despite an extremely generous bonus offer. Our other draft picks have all signed and will be opening the season with the rookie level South Miami Heights Whitecaps in the Gulf Coast League. We also signed another prospect from Australia, 19 year old starting pitcher, Jai Mullet, who will be pitching in Miami as well." Patel said, before taking a deep breath. "As for the major league team, it is true that the Spiders do have a few more... name players on their team, but in my experience, what draws fans is winning, not names, gimmicks, fans... sports fans... are smart. They, for the most part, can recognize when the wool is being pulled over their eyes. And sure, we could have pursued Zach Britton further than we did, we could've pursed Loo Tse (free agent reliever from Taiwan) further than we did, but ultimately, we felt our quickest path to contention, ironically, is to do what we're doing, and to trust the process. Does it cast a dark shadow... yeah, unquestionably, it does. We ask our fans for patience, and understanding. A token superstar may be worth 4, perhaps 5 more wins at this point in the season. Perhaps trying harder and having slightly better players all around would result in 5 to 7 more wins at this point. I ask - do the optics of 27-45 look any better than the optics of 15-57 do? My answer to that is no."

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-12-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
tejdog1
All Star Starter

July 2nd, 2019: The first trade of GM Tejesh Patel's career looks, on paper, to be an absolute steal, as the Sharks have dealt 25 year old minor league outfielder Jordan Luplow (.301/.403/.485 in 71 games in AA) to the Tampa Bay Rays for RHP Kelvin Herrera (6.2 ip, 11 h, 5 er, hr, 6/6 bb/k, 6.75 era) and 23 year old LHSP Brendan McKay (5-7, 3.46 era in 15 starts in A+ Charlotte). The Sharks than flipped Herrera to the Yankees for AA reliever Luis E. Cedeno 16.1 ip, 9 h, 4 er, 2/24 bb/k, 2.20 era in AA

"Eric called me a few hours ago with this one, and it was one I felt I had to pounce on before he had a chance to reconsider. Adding a prospect of McKay's caliber to the organization is an opportunity I couldn't pass up." Patel explained.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Last edited by tejdog1; 07-12-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
tenthreeleader
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 14x in 10 posts
Subscribed! (Well handled on the question, by the way...)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #11
tejdog1
All Star Starter

July 16th, 2019: The Las Vegas Sharks today announced the signing of international free agent third baseman, Volmer van Luijk from the Dutch Antilleas.

July 31st, 2019: The Sharks today traded away 1b/LF Ji-man Choi (.291/.373/.478/.851), RHP Chris Bassitt (3-7, 3.23 era, 21 gs, 111.1 ip, 104 h, 40 er, 5 hr, 41/93 bb/k) and Raynel Espinal (3-7, 6.83 era, 55.1 ip, 53 h, 42 er, 6 hr, 26/58 bb/k) to the Minnesota Twins, in exchange for 23 year old CF prospect Jake Mangum (35/36/11/45/46 current, 65/64/31/69/68 potential, 54 overall potential, 88 speed)

"To us, the value of prospects far outweigh the value of major league production. We've made that abundantly clear, and this move just reinforces that philosophy."

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #12
tejdog1
All Star Starter

After the draft, and the international free agent signing period, this is how Farm Systems across baseball are ranked.

Simmons - acquired via draft (1/1)
Helmrich - acquired via purchase from Australian Baseball League (ABL)
Acret - acquired via purchase from ABL
Williams - acquired via draft (3/91)
van Luijk - international free agent signing

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-13-2018, 01:00 AM   #13
tejdog1
All Star Starter

The Las Vegas Sharks finished up their first season tying the New York Mets 1962 record for futility, going 40-122. Despite this, GM Tejesh Patel sounded surprisingly upbeat, and even openly defiant at times in his seasonal wrap presser.

"We were able to hit a number of our preseason goals, chief among them, putting together a farm system. Even I didn't think we'd end the season 1st in baseball, but we did. Granted, if you look throughout history, top farm systems aren't a guarantee of anything, but the pieces are in place here, the talent is here, despite it being a long way away. As for the major league team, it was a very difficult season, and we fully acknowledge that. There is a plan in place, and there is the proper structure in place to execute that plan. However, we will not - I repeat, WE WILL NOT, be rushed or bullied into action by anybody. My experiences in New York, under the meddling thumb of the Wilpons, has shown me what happens when teams get impatient, they trade top prospects for garbage starting pitching in losing seasons. Not us. Not here. Buckle in for the long term, because next season, and the season after, will probably look alot like this one. If you can't handle it, then there are 31 other franchises in baseball you can root for. If, on the other hand, you want a franchise that is, 100% going to be handled correctly in every regard... we welcome you with open arms..."

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #14
tejdog1
All Star Starter

December 24th, 2019: The Sharks today further bolstered their farm system, acquiring a trio of teenage prospects from the Cleveland Indians in exchange for 25 year old 1b Ronald Guzman (.264/.313/.477/.789, 118 for 483, 29 2b, 20 HR, 29/91 BB/K), 26 year old LF Andrew Pullin (.278/.338/.487/.826, 120 for 431, 33 2b, 17 HR, 33/73 BB/K), three minor leaguers, and $815,000. In exchange, the Sharks received RHSPs Wesley Scott and Blake Adams, as well as 18 year old shortstop Aaron Bracho.

"This being the first real trade of consequence I've made, I feel the need to reiterate our position as a franchise, we are one year old. We were not going to compete in the next two seasons, so while, yes, we did give up a fair bit of major league production, on the order of 60 some odd doubles, 40 odd homers and a decent chunk of run production, we had those guys this year and won 40 games. The addition of three more prospects to our collection far outweighs the production we gave up. We wish Guzman and Pullin all the best, we wish them much success in Cleveland." GM Tejesh Patel said in a statement.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #15
tejdog1
All Star Starter

The 2020 Major League Baseball season kicks off today, and the Sharks opening day roster looks much the same as their 2019 roster did - a crappy collection of baseball players who look to challenge their futility from last season.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-14-2018, 04:03 AM   #16
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Draft day, 2020, and the Sharks are sitting in last place, again, at 20-51, a .282 winning percentage, and the few good players the Sharks do have will most likely be traded away for prospects, yet again. Still, the Sharks are drawing over 52,000 a game, a 25% increase so far, over 2019, as fans may be buying into GM Tejesh Patel's sales pitch. The Sharks, this year, took more college players, their first two picks (1 and 54 overall) were both college picks, though, as with last year, Patel says it was just a coincidence. Unlike 2019, when their first six picks were high school, this year, the Sharks went: college, college, high school, college, college, high school, high school, high school, high school with their first eight picks.

"We went BPA, same as last year, but this year, the best available were from the college ranks. Andrew [Manning, first baseman] offered us as much upside as anyone else in the draft. A very advanced bat with significant contact and power upside, and a decent glove at second base, though we took him as a first baseman. He's advanced enough to jump right to Scottsdale (the Sharks Sally League affiliate, their lowest full season classification). And our second pick, Philip Clark, is honestly somebody we debated hard about taking first overall. Being able to grab that kind of talent where we did (54th overall) was an incredible coup, and a significant stroke of pure luck for us. Finding a lefty hitting catcher with offensive upside is almost impossible outside of the first few picks."

However, as with 2019, the Sharks failed to sign a high pick, in fact, their compensation pick for 2019, Bobby Taylor. Patel was not pleased by this development.

"His agent assured us he would sign for a figure, an extraordinairly high figure, but we had agreed, and then, at the last second, he turned it down and told us he was heading to college. Suffice to say I am not happy about this development, and I made sure she was well aware of it."

One other note involving the Sharks farm system, third baseman Volmer van Luijk, who was signed for $5,000,000 last July, will be making his professional debut in the Gulf Coast League in a few days. Sharks fans should be extremely excited for this 17 year old.

The Sharks also demoted 6/7 of their bullpen to AAA Medford, and recalled the following relievers: LHRPs Jose Alvarado, Kevin Grendell, Jose Torres; RHRPs Jamie Callahan, Luis E Cedeno, Sarkis Ohanian

"They'd been pitching very well in AAA, and getting them major league experience is very important. Especially in a low pressure environment." Patel said, nodding slightly as if to affirm his own point to himself. "We felt the time was right to make these moves."
----

Out of character/game: I'm simming these awful seasons really fast because there isn't a whole lot of material for questions since it's alot of the same thing "How do you feel about being told you're tanking, not providing a major league product, etc..." so I'm trying to get it over with ASAP.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Last edited by tejdog1; 07-14-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #17
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 255x in 195 posts
“Within your farm system, which player or players really excite you for the future of the franchise? Who do you plan on building this team around?”
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #18
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klew1986 View Post
“Within your farm system, which player or players really excite you for the future of the franchise? Who do you plan on building this team around?”
"With the caveat that anything can happen with regards to prospects on the way to the majors, be it injuries, loss of potential, work ethic, etc and so on... we really like, obviously, our top two picks this year, Andy Manning [first baseman] and Philip Clarke [catcher], we like Patrick Simmons [starting pitcher, injured on May 16th, out for the remainder of 2020 with bone chips], Kendall Williams [3-4, 4.73 era in Scottsdale, 19 years old; demoted to Dumas], Jarod Acret [3-2, 3.99 era in Scottsdale, 20 years old], Jai Helmrich [second baseman in King of Prussia (high A), hit .282/.330/.495 across two injury plagued seasons in Scottsdale, played in 51 games]. We feel Helmrich' injury woes are mostly behind him after slightly tweaking his workout and post-game routines. And last, but definitely not least, third baseman Volmer van Luijk [17 years old, beginning his professional career in South Miami]. Those are the prospects we're most excited about, but of course we have several other prospects we're excited by, Henry Gargus, Jake Mangum, Zane Denton, Jared Qualtrough, Quintin Wonnocott, really too many to list. However, we won't be rushing these guys up to the majors, we'll be taking it slowly with them, they'll only come up when they're ready... when they're knocking that door down. When and if they get here, we want it to be for good."

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #19
tejdog1
All Star Starter

July 6th, 2020 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Las Vegas Sharks today announced the acquistion of five prospects, four from the international Australian Baseball League, and one international free agent signing. Starting pitcher Arturo Bonilla ($5m), the top rated prospect on the IFA market, was inked on July 4th. Two days later, Aussies Domenic Bonaddio (SP), Seb Rackham (LF), Domenic Bendeich (SP), and Baden Robilliard (SP) were purchased from the ABL. The Sharks now boast six of the top ten prospects in baseball (numbers 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10), and, in addition, boast sixteen prospects in the top 100.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 07-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #20
tejdog1
All Star Starter

July 31st, 2020 Transactions:

traded 1b/LF Josh Naylor, 1b Brian Mundell, RPs Jose Alvarado, Jamie Callahan, Jose Torres to BOS for A- SP JT Ginn, A+ CF Cole Brennan

recalled 1b Rowdy Tellez, LF Eduardo Pinto, RPs Jared Miller, Tyler Ferguson, Brady Dragmire from AAA Medford

Optioned CF Cole Brennan to high-A King of Prussia
Promoted A+ CF Jake Mangum to AA Clarkesville

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"