Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team is LIVE!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
grall1126
Bat Boy

Thanked 3x in 2 posts
Playing as manager

I like to play an entire season of one team as manager. I just find that playing this way at times doesn't require much input, except pressing the one key for swing away. Am I missing anything about other things to do?

Still a great SIM

By the way, where do I find descriptions on the little icons next to the players names? One loo know s like ice, fire etc
grall1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,365x in 2,025 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grall1126 View Post
I like to play an entire season of one team as manager. I just find that playing this way at times doesn't require much input, except pressing the one key for swing away. Am I missing anything about other things to do?

Still a great SIM

By the way, where do I find descriptions on the little icons next to the players names? One loo know s like ice, fire etc
Hover your mouse pointer over the icon.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:58 PM   #3
DaBears
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 50x in 38 posts
Quote:

Still a great SIM

A lot of it has to do with who you manage. Without modifying the game in any way, there is a huge difference in managing the 2018 Yankees versus the Reds or Milwaukee. The latter two have a lot of speed and not as much power. You could also do the Braves, who have speed but play in a more neutral park. Removes the DH, you will have to create some runs.

You could also play in the 1960’s when runs were at a real premium, or in the 1970’s when smallball was the thing. Lots of options.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 47x in 27 posts
Quote:

Still a great SIM

Hi grall1126,

Maybe I am misunderstanding your question. There is a LOT more to do than just "swing away." Every choice available to you is there from Hit and Run to Steal, and everything else. Baseball managers have a vast number of choices based upon the situation. Are the other strategies not showing up on your screen?

If you set the AI to manage both teams then the only choice you have is "Continue." Make sure you have your team set to Human manager.

Best,
Beatles
Beatles Eternally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,553x in 1,261 posts
80% or more of the time you swing away. that's baseball, although context does matter, of course..

here's why it really doesn't matter in ootp -- the random seed is generated once per PA and used for evrythign. so, if it's 'high' enough roll for a good result at swing away, you'll also have a good result at bunting (relative to ratings involved etc).

see the problem? if you are 'going to be' successful at bunting baed on the seed generated, you are almost certainly successful at getting a hit, too. which outcome has a greater chance for the most benefit? obviously getting a hit.

now, you can't see the future. but it clearly is better to swing away in almost all contexts relative to ootp baseball.

if they diffrence in hitting ability and bunting is so extreme, and you play in an era with a huige amount of bunts, then it may sway things a bit... in modern 2018-like statistical environemnt, you should simply swing away 99% of the time.

the same threshold for initial PA success is virtually the same, from what i can see. if you are going to have a good resulting random seed value, you might as well be swinging away so you don't waste it.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:13 AM   #6
One Post Wonder
Major Leagues

Thanked 240x in 132 posts
A sacrifice bunt has a much higher chance of success though. Also a sac bunt has a much lower chance of ending in a double play, which is a big part of the reason why someone would bunt. So a failed swing might be a successful sacrifice or at least a FC instead of a DP.

Plus unless you know for a fact that it is otherwise, I don't think the process is as simple as one number for a whole AB. I'm guessing they do one for each pitch, since there is a pitch by pitch play option. And if that's so then you'll likely end up with a different pitch count for a bunt vs a swing.

Then after contact is made, are you sure that there's one number for that? Or is there another determination to see if the ball is handled by the SS instead of rolling out into CF? Or to determine wind effects?

To answer the OP, offense is nearly always swing away if you have no-one on base. Defense, I at least move my outfielders in if there's a weak hitter up, or do a shift for a pull hitter. There's a lot more to do on the defensive side.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
Hambil
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 4x in 4 posts
Handling your pitchers is enjoyable also. When do you put in a pitcher hitter? When do you pull your starter for a reliever? Do you put your closer in or save him?
Hambil is offline   Reply With Quote